7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F8B13E5D-BF31-4B77-92CF-E620BA171507 (resized).jpeg
    arnold-cheat-curls4 (resized).jpg
    th (resized).jpeg
    th-2 (resized).jpeg
    918F8A1B-8C0B-4517-8AF8-8E2F8CF5C3BB (resized).jpeg
    1A8CAFB3-CE8A-41A8-8E57-8A9EC5575AEA (resized).jpeg
    42D83582-CE71-4F2E-8937-336AABF38D8E (resized).jpeg
    7A4CD3CF-E8B2-40F1-8945-BB7F7D41584E (resized).jpeg
    A3944B63-C983-4237-8073-D236678C5417 (resized).jpeg
    BC31CB57-3FB6-4643-A4FB-EC2572289F88 (resized).jpeg
    2019-08-07 14_55_12-US Pizza Team Winter Acrobatic Trials - WatchESPN (resized).jpg
    07469CF2-5A81-469D-AE17-E213C803C5ED (resized).jpeg
    430C484D-D1FB-4B16-8ABF-33F4BF263A8C (resized).jpeg

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 months ago

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/24233734/the-illustrated-guide-ocho

I do not see any pinball listed as programming on ESPN8 this Aug 7th.

#2 7 months ago

I thought the Stern Pro Circuit was going to get a half hour slot?

https://funwithbonus.com/pro-circuit-pinball-championship-to-be-broadcast-on-espn-the-ocho/

(edit: I remember thinking, it'll be amusing to see what normal people think of the winner of that tournament)

#3 7 months ago

I am totally in for Chess Boxing, though.

#4 7 months ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I thought the Stern Pro Circuit was going to get a half hour slot?

I am only going by what ESPN is promoting on illustrated guide to ocho link,
    guess i will have to dig into the TV guide on DirecTV to verify for the 7th in ESPN2

#5 7 months ago

Just scoped out the future programing on all ESPN stations for Aug 7th
    did not see any pinball
    Saw programs for
    cherry pit spitting
    cornhole
    Lawn Mower racing
    dodgeball
    arm wrestling
    Chess Boxing
    stone skipping
    darts
    Lumber jacking
    Spikeball
    but no pinball ( unless it is covered in E:60)
    very disappointed

#6 7 months ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

cherry pit spitting

That's local to my area. An annual thing every 4th of July weekend.
    Spoiler warning: news article lists the winner and distance - do not read if you are going to watch the event!

https://www.wsjm.com/2019/07/08/niles-man-wins-46th-annual-cherry-pit-spitting-champsionship/

#7 7 months ago

I just saw a listing for Pizza world championship, fold pizza boxes, biggest pizza dough.
    Hope for Pinball get Pizza, could be worse.

#8 7 months ago
    Quoted from Quadrat:

I just saw a listing for Pizza world championship, fold pizza boxes, biggest pizza dough.
    Hope for Pinball get Pizza, could be worse.

I'm a subscriber to Pizza Today, a trade magazine for pizzerias. They have an annual expo with a ton of pizza contests. I bet the footage is from there?

(older video so as to not spoil it for anyone)

#9 7 months ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'm a subscriber to Pizza Today, a trade magazine for pizzerias. They have an annual expo with a ton of pizza contests. I bet the footage is from there?

Very cool, was a Pizza maker back in the day. I could do some of that when I was young. Thanks for vid.

#10 7 months ago

For some reason I read the the title

Thinking it's was about Chad Johnson playing pinball lol

#11 7 months ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Just scoped out the future programing on all ESPN stations for Aug 7th
    did not see any pinball
    Saw programs for
    cherry pit spitting
    cornhole
    Lawn Mower racing
    dodgeball
    arm wrestling
    Chess Boxing
    stone skipping
    darts
    Lumber jacking
    Spikeball
    but no pinball ( unless it is covered in E:60)
    very disappointed

How can you be disappointed? Cornhole is on there!!! That's highly entertaining to watch. Those cornhole pros are INSANELY good.

#12 7 months ago

Yep I thought about this the other day and was disappointed that I didn't see it in the lineup. It makes sense though because pinball is really a long-format broadcast that works better on a stream. There's no way they could condense all the footage to make sense. It would have to be more like a documentary about the event itself.

#13 7 months ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Yep I thought about this the other day and was disappointed that I didn't see it in the lineup. It makes sense though because pinball is really a long-format broadcast that works better on a stream. There's no way they could condense all the footage to make sense. It would have to be more like a documentary about the event itself.

I bet they could make a slick half-hour presentation by showing the best clips they get from a marathon tourney. Stuff that is impressive without having to explain much like epic saves, long streaks of consecutive shot making, and high level flipper skills. I don't think watching a tourney would resonate much (beyond a single game), but using it as an opportunity to explain and showcase pinball as a game of skill would be perfect.

But I'm sure ESPN doesn't wanna pay video producers to condense 12-18 hours of footage compared to showing off a match of corn hole.

#15 7 months ago

Paywall. Screw that crap.

#16 7 months ago

Sorry, I was able to read it before the paywall popped up... Basically it was the Feb article that said they would be on and when .

I mean the internet never lies or is wrong right?!?

#17 7 months ago

As a spectator, competitive pinball is about as fun to watch as olympic curling.

#18 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Competitive pinball is about as fun to watch as olympic curling.

May have to post this in the confessional too, but we really enjoyed watching olympic curling last year.

#19 7 months ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

May have to post this in the confessional too, but we really enjoyed watching olympic curling last year.

I think most people who actually watched it liked it.

#20 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I know you're joking, but I actually enjoy curling when the Olympics come around.

#21 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Still better than Tetris

#22 7 months ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

I was in a cheap burger joint eating lunch and they had it on, and for ten minutes, I kind of enjoyed it too.

#23 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Couldn't disagree more. I watched a bunch of the Pinburgh stream this weekend and really enjoyed it.

The fact that ESPN carries cornhole regularly is baffling to me. Bean bag toss??

#24 7 months ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Cornhole is on there!!! That's highly entertaining to watch. Those cornhole pros are INSANELY good.

I prefer cornhole premiums

#25 7 months ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

Couldn't disagree more.

You are welcome to disagree, but I actually enjoy watching curling more. If I'm not in the game, I don't care to watch it.

#26 7 months ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

Couldn't disagree more. I watched a bunch of the Pinburgh stream this weekend and really enjoyed it.
    The fact that ESPN carries cornhole regularly is baffling to me. Bean bag toss??

Cornhole and curling are easy to understand. Even if you’re hammered and barely paying attention you can follow what’s going on.

Pinball rules are an order of magnitude more complex, plus they change every 20 minutes (when players move to a new game).

#27 7 months ago

Putt putt and golden tee makes the cut, but Pinball doesn’t

430C484D-D1FB-4B16-8ABF-33F4BF263A8C (resized).jpeg

07469CF2-5A81-469D-AE17-E213C803C5ED (resized).jpeg
    #28 7 months ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Putt putt and golden tee makes the cut, but Pinball doesn’t
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Well Putt Putt has a prime time Network show so that shouldn't be surprising.

Don;t listen to o-din on the Curling thing...West Coast bias showing through. Everyone loves watching Curling and has for years.

#29 7 months ago

Up until last year I thought curling was a weight lifting event.

#30 7 months ago

You guys always make me laugh.

Have to say, a good amount of people at this brewery find both entertaining.

#31 7 months ago
    Quoted from aingide:

Cornhole and curling are easy to understand. Even if you’re hammered and barely paying attention you can follow what’s going on.
    Pinball rules are an order of magnitude more complex, plus they change every 20 minutes (when players move to a new game).

Maybe the broadcasts and the broadcasters in pinball shouldn't focus so much on the rules.

They don't go over complete rulesets for video games when they stream them. They just scream a lot and everybody loves it.

It's good to keep viewers in the loop but when I'm in the booth I a) assume that most of the people watching have a rough understanding of the rules or at least how pinball works, and b) don't get into any rules explanation I can't get through in about one sentence.

Viewers need to know what's going on in the moment, not what might be going on 2 balls from now.

#32 7 months ago

Sometimes I watch the Madden football competitions. It's almost like watching a real NFL game except without the blatant bad calls or no calls by the officials.

#33 7 months ago

The reality of all of this, is that I would MUCH rather watch "non traditional" sports/activities on ESPN. Pro Football, Baseball, and Basketball have lost all of their allure to me at this point in my life. Don't even get me started on how the majority of broadcasts now seem to be talking-head shows that have somehow crossed over into the political realm. I thought it was ESPN? Not all talk-shows all the time. Reminds me of how MTV literally doesn't show music videos, or really anything music related anymore. Speaking of that, is Sportscenter even still a thing?

One of my favorite things to watch on ESPN was pro billiards, but I can't recall the last time I saw any when flipping through the channels.

I miss watching darts, paintball, jet-boat races, motocross, strong man competitions, redbull signature series, etc. on ESPN.

I guess god bless YouTube, because that's where I watch all that stuff now.

(Now I'll get back to yelling at clouds, haha)

#34 7 months ago

Did ESPN show up for the Stern Circuit finals in Chicago? I didn't see them when I was there..

#35 7 months ago

Here's a commentary booth guideline we made for NYCPC (I think it's been amended a little since). It's not perfect but I think it's a good idea to provide people (especially newbies) in the booth with a little guidance. I didn't get much feedback from people on it, except for one young commentator with some experience under his belt who said it really helped. Feel free to rip off and tweak for your own events and standards if you'd like.

As far as I know we are the only event doing this, most events just stick people in there and hope for the best.
    ----------------

NYCPC Commentary Booth Staffing:

PLEASE do not join the booth without first checking in with a NYCPC representative. Most time slots will be staffed by NYCPC-appointed teams.

All commentators should don a burgundy “NBP” Blazer when in the booth.

Commentary Notes:
    Please consider the following guidelines. These are rough guidelines and suggestions, your individualism is appreciated and important.

-This stream is intended for adult audiences. Colorful language is acceptable if not excessive or out of context.

-Please steer clear of racial or blatant sexual humor/language

-Try to focus on the action at hand and what the players are doing.

-Listen to your boothmates and provide them with space.

-Do not dwell on complicated descriptions of rulesets. Point out simple things, and things as they happen, and things a step away, but it’s not important to go over an entire ruleset before and during every game. People will get the hang of it if you are engaging.

-Remember that you aren’t playing, and your personal strategies and experiences are not the focus. It’s ok to point out possible strategies or potential scoring opportunities but focus on what the player IS doing, not what they are not or “should be” doing. Feel free to question players’ strategies and mindsets but don’t dwell on them.

-Try not to start any story that you can’t finish within 20 seconds or so. If you are in the middle of a story, anecdote, or description, break away immediately if important on-the-field action occurs.

-Have fun! Your interest and excitement carries over to the audience.

#36 7 months ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

Still better than Tetris

What!? Have you seen this?

BOOM! Tetris for Jeff!

#38 7 months ago

I went to lunch today at BW3, and they were showing the US Pizza Team Acrobatic tryouts. Seriously.

2019-08-07 14_55_12-US Pizza Team Winter Acrobatic Trials - WatchESPN (resized).jpg

#39 7 months ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

What!? Have you seen this?
    BOOM! Tetris for Jeff!

#40 7 months ago

Golden Tee Championships on the Ocho!

Maybe if pinball players had those fancy shirts like they wear in in Golden Tee, Bowling, and Corn Hole, then ESPN might take it more seriously

7A4CD3CF-E8B2-40F1-8945-BB7F7D41584E (resized).jpeg42D83582-CE71-4F2E-8937-336AABF38D8E (resized).jpegA3944B63-C983-4237-8073-D236678C5417 (resized).jpegBC31CB57-3FB6-4643-A4FB-EC2572289F88 (resized).jpeg
    #41 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

As a spectator, competitive pinball is about as fun to watch as olympic curling.

Wait, you're saying that's a bad thing?

#42 7 months ago

Curling rules.

#43 7 months ago

Probably a good thing? Obviously, I'm biased but competitive pinball is probably too much of a real thing to be lumped in with some of the other programming that did make the cut. It's too close to e-sports which is a big deal now and likely aligns with at least some of ESPNs younger core audiences.

#44 7 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Curling is awesome!

#45 7 months ago

Marble Run is on now???

#46 7 months ago

I was surprized how much I enjoyed the last 3 minutes of the marble race show.
    But doubt i could tolerate more than 30 min of it

staying tuned for lawn mower racing

#48 7 months ago

Funny a lot of the shows were rerun stuff from the late 80s and early 90s. I know the Putt-Putt was pretty old since everyone was dressed in full 1988 clothing. The Lawnmower racing was the same thing. The big give away was those shows were shown in 480p.

#49 7 months ago

Didn’t realize being an electrician was a sport.

#50 7 months ago

Slippery Stairs gets a tv show

1A8CAFB3-CE8A-41A8-8E57-8A9EC5575AEA (resized).jpeg918F8A1B-8C0B-4517-8AF8-8E2F8CF5C3BB (resized).jpeg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside