Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by stevevt
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ESPN_8_The_Ocho (resized).jpg
    theocho1 (resized).jpg
    ESPN Magazine (resized).png
    Prince-Fielder-ESPN-the-Magazine-2014-Body-Issue-Shoot (resized).jpg
    ESPN0 (resized).jpg
    ESPN1 (resized).jpg
    ESPN2 (resized).jpg
    ESPN3 (resized).jpg
    ESPN4 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

The latest issue of ESPN Magazine just arrived in my mailbox and I was surprised to see a feature article on pinball dead in the center of the magazine. The eight page article features Robert Gagno and his quest to become the worlds best pinball player but also includes a look at the rise competitive pinball, introduces readers to players like Andrei Massenkoff, Helena Walter, Steven Bowden, Todd MacColloch and Zach Sharpe and gives a positive look at the scene.

If you happen by a Barnes & Nobles be sure to check out the issue with Cowboys QB Precott on the cover. It is not often that pinball gets this kind of mainstream positive press.

ESPN0 (resized).jpgESPN0 (resized).jpg
    ESPN1 (resized).jpgESPN1 (resized).jpg
    ESPN2 (resized).jpgESPN2 (resized).jpg
    ESPN3 (resized).jpgESPN3 (resized).jpg
    ESPN4 (resized).jpgESPN4 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

One of these guys talked about the photo shoot on the C2C podcast. "Stand here and imagine you are in front of your favorite machine having a great game and we will take your picture!"

#3 7 years ago

if someone can scan it in and send it over, that would be great!

#4 7 years ago

I'll definitely pick this up.

#5 7 years ago

That's sweet. Thanks for posting this.

#6 7 years ago

Any mention of Keith Elwin?

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

if someone can scan it in and send it over, that would be great!

I can send you scans if you need them but I did not want to post them here since they are copyrighted material. If you don't know, ESPN Magazine is an oversized publication so there is actually a surprising amount of content in the article. The posing without the machines is actually pretty cool and it is something they do pretty often (ie a football player pretending to stiff arm a defender or a soccer player pretending to kick a ball) to show the mechanics of the player.

#8 7 years ago

good call.

I will just try to go find a copy.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

The posing without the machines is actually pretty cool and it is something they do pretty often (ie a football player pretending to stiff arm a defender or a soccer player pretending to kick a ball) to show the mechanics of the player.

It does look kind of silly though. Zach Sharpe especially looks like he's a chester the molester going in for a feel.

#10 7 years ago

Oh yeah that photo shoot will gain pinball as a sport tons of respect! Un fucking real.

#11 7 years ago

Thank god it wasn't the "body" issue

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Thank god it wasn't the "body" issue

Why? ESPN features bodies of all shapes and sizes, it is one of the few magazines that doesn't body shame.

Prince-Fielder-ESPN-the-Magazine-2014-Body-Issue-Shoot (resized).jpgPrince-Fielder-ESPN-the-Magazine-2014-Body-Issue-Shoot (resized).jpg

ESPN Magazine (resized).pngESPN Magazine (resized).png

#13 7 years ago

Mainly because I dont want to see a naked pinball player!

#14 7 years ago

Sweet - didn't realize this was already out - will have to pick it up - my first photos in ESPN Magazine

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Mainly because I dont want to see a naked pinball player!

They will just end up photoshopping some silver balls or pop bumper caps on the image to to censor it if needed, they could be risky and use a shooter rod.However it's not something I would want to see to be fair

#16 7 years ago

i will always refer to him a 'gagno' not 'gawno' lol.

congrats Robert!!!

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Sweet - didn't realize this was already out - will have to pick it up - my first photos in ESPN Magazine

Congrats Gene that is awesome, I'm going to try to find it as well after work today.

#18 7 years ago

Will snag one of these for sure. Probably 2. One to show people and another to keep nice.

#19 7 years ago

too cool! Helena joined our league in Denver and she can crush. Dropped over 500 mil on ball 2 of ACDC last week, unfortunately for me she was in my group lol. She is super nice and a great player.

#20 7 years ago

disappointed that more of you don't get this magazine already. Pinball is a sport (let the debate begin) and any true sports enthusiast gets ESPN the magazine (which is free if your an ESPN insider).

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Pinball is a sport (let the debate begin)

Does Pinball have cheerleaders? If not then it cannot be a sport.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Any cheerleaders trying out for the Bears? They don't have any!

#23 7 years ago

Fishing and pinball. Two of my favorite sports.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

So, I guess baseball, hockey, tennis, golf, volleyball, softball, cricket, rugby, soccer, field hockey, . . .

#25 7 years ago

It is as much a sport as pool, poker, archery, darts or whatever else you want to list off that is shown on cable sports channels. Hell, even video games have their own e-sports league and TV show.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

disappointed that more of you don't get this magazine already. Pinball is a sport (let the debate begin) and any true sports enthusiast gets ESPN the magazine (which is free if your an ESPN insider).

I can see it being a sport, sure! But it's the only sport I'm interested in, so I don't really have any use for a sports magazine. Especially when they're $6 for 80 pages!

#27 7 years ago

I got my subscription online and pay $8 a year for it. I rarely read it but for those issues that interest me it is worth it.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Especially when they're $6 for 80 pages!

Free for me, as an ESPN insider, I agree not worth $6 for a typical issue.

#29 7 years ago

Anywhere to read this online?

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Anywhere to read this online?

They do have a digital version, but you have to have a paid account to get to access to it.

#31 7 years ago

Maybe we can get Pepper Brooks to cover the next PAPA Championship!

ESPN_8_The_Ocho (resized).jpgESPN_8_The_Ocho (resized).jpg

theocho1 (resized).jpgtheocho1 (resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago

ESPN is the Natty Light of sports journalism but i wanna buy this issue, it looks interesting!

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

ESPN is the Natty Light of sports journalism but i wanna buy this issue, it looks interesting!

The article is really good!

(Man, Natty Light though? That's a vicious dis.)

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Pinball is a sport (let the debate begin)

You mean a Professional Sport.....

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

ESPN is the Natty Light of sports journalism

Perhaps, but the highlite music is second to none.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Fishing and pinball. Two of my favorite sports.

I thought that was drinking & pinball.

#37 7 years ago

The picture of Andrei should be him looking over his shoulder and yelling at someone standing 6 feet behind them complaining that they are standing too close.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

The latest issue of ESPN Magazine just arrived

For the benefit of future bibliographers: it's the November 14, 2016 issue and the article is on pages 38-47.
    .................David Marston

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/espn-magazine-features-professional-pinball-in-latest-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.