(Topic ID: 151373)

ESD - Has it happened to you?

By golfingdad1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wisefwumyogwave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

I would disagree with this statement. The neutral prong of an outlet will also work just fine as a "ground". The neutral and ground wire are connected at the main service panel, so either wire will make a fine "ground" for a built up static charge.
    If I was making a bet I would guess that the OP's pin either has the grounding prong cut off of the plug (commonly seen) or that his outlet is not correctly wired and does not actually have a ground (common depending on where he lives. In my part of the country we are full of homes that were built before grounded outlets were used, so it is common to see homes "upgraded" by installing a 3-prong outlet but not actually ground the new outlet.)

Incorrect-ish. Nuetral does go back to ground but in pinball machines the neutral prong wont provide a path to ground from anything grounded to the braid in the machine unless there is a bond between ground-braid and line neutral in the actual pinball machine which testing a few games of mine the lockbars have continuity to ground prongs and not line neutral therefore line neutral doesn't provide a ground path for any "ground" in the game therefore static can still build up without a proper ground. Code stipulates one bond between neutral and ground and yes its at the main service panel. my guess is his game had static build up from his ground braid probably from not being a true ground and electrons jumped from the machine to him, not the other way around. take a meter and ohm between your lock bar to a ground prong on your plug to your pinball. after that the outlet tester as terryb suggested is the best way to see if you actually have grounded outlets back to the panel. grounds are super important, my black hole was shocking me very lightly until i fixed the plug and put a ground on it.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

I didn't say the ground was proper....I just said there was a ground somewhere in order to get the arc. Absolutely agree with what you said....that is what I meant when I said the ground had to have gone through the harness in order to affect the machine. I think we are in the same ballpark...you just said it better than me. lol

I bet the op was the ground!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wisefwumyogwave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/esd-has-it-happened-to-you?tu=wisefwumyogwave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.