(Topic ID: 151373)

ESD - Has it happened to you?

By golfingdad1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider golfingdad1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Electro static discharge also called static electricity, knocked my game out of order breifly.
    I was playing a 2 player game yesterday with my buddy, I was player 2 starting my second ball as I placed my hand on the machine a good size electrical arc jumped from my hand to the lock down bar and the machine went nuts . Sound level was off the chart loud just blaring !!! Dmd went crazy and who knows what else. I instantly shut the machine off as fast as I could. Luckily when I powered it back up everything was fine.
    Anyone ever have this happen ?

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

Used to get shocked from my Indiana jones. Found out it was missing the ground wire!

I don't believe that is the case in this situation.
    I think because of the low humidity here , 5% or so, and the fact I had just slid off the fabric couch wearing jeans on a carpeted floor . It was a perfect storm and it shocked the hell out of the pin.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from fordtudoor:

For a minute there I thought he was talking about Erectile Dysfunction.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

Most pins I have seen have all of the external metal parts connected to the ground braid which should be connected the ground prong on the plug. Is your ground prong still on the plug? Is your outlet actually grounded?
    See if a VOM shows continuity between the ground prong of the plug and the lockdown bar.

Dumb that up for me...

#14 8 years ago

Thanks for the info guys,
    I do have a ground plug, 3 prongs, and it's not cut off from the plug. I have the main power cord running to a surge protector strip and that Is plugged into the wall , also is 3 prong and in good condition.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the wall outlet is not grounded. So I will check it with a digital multi meter.

#18 8 years ago

I had some time last night and I was able to verify that the wall plug and the power strip / surge protector is in fact properly grounded.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider golfingdad1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/esd-has-it-happened-to-you?tu=golfingdad1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.