Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Baiter
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5588 (resized).JPG
    300c5ca181d9e6f528b45089b802ce9e9c836c62_1_690x459 (1) (resized).jpg
    0c1651492f607bb42463d9cf686c61d80e86225e_1_333x500 (resized).jpg
    4b9f8dcbf62dd502235c2b19d508b3e7947661f2_1_690x459 (resized).jpg
    14d94bf59bca5852e539306fe7ab7d3bb1a43b6a_1_690x459 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider richthofen.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I think Bowen chose JQ, more as the best way to help eliminate Cayle and Trent

Yeah I agree with this. Escher only had two points going into the final game. Bowen was beating himself up on game choice but I had no issues with his picks. He put up 9 million plus on Skateball in qualifying. He has seen Escher play it poorly.

I really wanted Bowen to win, he was such a good qualifier. He's also a friend and introduced me to competitive pinball. Escher is the world champ and the tourney winner but I believe Bowen to be a better player and would take Bowen in any bet on a rematch.

There's variance in pinball. Bowen had a bounce on the flipper during a trap attempt that wasn't like the previous feeds/traps, and he fumbled and drained. But Escher barely got a flipper on the ball in Twilight Zone. When you play four days of pinball weird shit happens.

Anyone see the tiebreak between Adam Lefkoff and Escher ? I think 2.1 million won it on X-men?!

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That 1.3 million "win" on Xmen was likely a gift from Dad in the early rounds but I don't see any problem with that!

It's against the rules and the spirit of the event. Also what are you teaching your son in that moment?

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Bowen's strengths lie more in DMD era games.

Yeah that's why he picked WPT but he had three very short balls on it to put himself in the hole in the first place.

He crushed Twilight Zone which we all expected. I mean JQ and Skateball are great picks, they're rarer games to see in the wild... if I were Bowen I would have picked Skateball too. We talked about it and the first thing he said after he got some composure was "I think I made a bad choice". I told him I 100% did not agree.

#51 7 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Besides, you have to have at least a little luck at some point to win an event like this.

I agree with this. The qualifiers removed a lot of the luck from the equation; but at the end of the day you have 24 people do-or-die on 3 games. You need both skill and a little luck. I put in a LOT of tickets to A and only managed a middle of the road 66th. I had a blast though and my second place in classics 1 numbed the pain a little.

But the fact that so many of the top players keep appearing in the finals means that it's more like 80% skill and 20% luck.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider richthofen.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escher-wins-papa?tu=richthofen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.