New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 186110)

Amazing PAPA victory! Spoilers ahead...

By Russell

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Baiter
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5588 (resized).JPG
    300c5ca181d9e6f528b45089b802ce9e9c836c62_1_690x459 (1) (resized).jpg
    0c1651492f607bb42463d9cf686c61d80e86225e_1_333x500 (resized).jpg
    4b9f8dcbf62dd502235c2b19d508b3e7947661f2_1_690x459 (resized).jpg
    14d94bf59bca5852e539306fe7ab7d3bb1a43b6a_1_690x459 (resized).jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Escher Lefkoff just won the PAPA World Pinball Championship!!!

CONGRATS ESCHER

#2 3 years ago

That was awesome to watch. Congrats!

#3 3 years ago

Amazing victory. Congrats Escher and Adam (his dad)

#4 3 years ago

That was awesome! But you may want to change the title to not say who won, and add "spoiler alert" then list it inside the thread. Not everyone got to see it live.

#5 3 years ago

So awesome.

I bet Adam had a heart attack while the playoff was taking place.

It should also be noted:
    - 13 year old wins A division
    - 16 year old Aussie wins B division
    - 8 year old won D division
    - 15 year old came 5th in Woman's division.

Some good talent coming through!!

rd

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

So awesome.
    It should also be noted:
    rd

It's high time we lengthened the legs on pinball machines another foot or so.

#7 3 years ago

Awesome finals. Really captivating

#8 3 years ago

That was really fun to watch. I feel sorry for Bowen though, being put out to pasture by the younger generation, he seemed so vibrant still, I thought he had years left...

Seriously though, will anyone older than 20 ever win PAPA again? I know we wanted the kids to get into pinball, but...

PS> Congrats to all the winners, and thanks for a great streaming experience!

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I feel sorry for Bowen though, being put out to pasture by the younger generation

I feel sorry for Bowen being put out to pasture by some ridiculously lucky pops action on Jungle Queen...there's no way on earth Escher would've won that round had the pop not kicked his ball back up into that lane a bajillion times in a row. O_o

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I feel sorry for Bowen being put out to pasture by some ridiculously lucky pops action on Jungle Queen...there's no way on earth Escher would've won that round had the pop not kicked his ball back up into that lane a bajillion times in a row. O_o

The Pinball Chaos Gods giveth to some and taketh from others.

Personally, I welcome our new Pinball Overlord, even if he is only 13.

Marcus

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Nobody forced Bowen to pick that game. He had his chance still on Skateball but lost. Esher deserved to win.

#12 3 years ago

Screw that, Marcus. I can't even remember the last time the "pinball chaos gods" did me that kind of a favor! LOL. Certainly didn't happen yesterday, and there was plenty of opportunity for divine intervention on Buckaroo AND Atlantis....no such luck.

*Shrug* Opinions belong to those that form them, and not others. Playing EMs is a typically stupid (last ditch) choice in high level tournaments, and this was no different. Every time I see Jungle Queen come up in video, everyone always says how dangerous those top flippers are. Pretty sure Bowen lost at least 3 of his 5 balls out that right outlane from a ball arcing right into it off the left side.

Was it just me or was there a LOT of really bad play today? A few epic saves, but also a lot of just really puzzlingly bad decisions from elite players... Bowen picking Jungle Queen, think it was Cayle or Trent that had a ball he let dead bounce off a right flipper when it clearly didn't have enough momentum to go anywhere and it just went STDM after the bounce...that tiebreaker match between Josh and Escher was just painful to watch.

I look forward to these major tournaments being streamed but watching today was just a lesson in pain. At least I know how to maximize my WPT points now.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Was it just me or was there a LOT of really bad play today? A few epic saves, but also a lot of just really puzzlingly bad decisions from elite players... Bowen picking Jungle Queen, think it was Cayle or Trent that had a ball he let dead bounce off a right flipper when it clearly didn't have enough momentum to go anywhere and it just went STDM after the bounce...that tiebreaker match between Josh and Escher was just painful to watch.
    I look forward to these major tournaments being streamed but watching today was just a lesson in pain. At least I know how to maximize my WPT points now.

Escher won! You weren't even there.
    "..no way on Earth Escher world have won, blah blah"
    Seriously? How disrespectful can you be?
    Escher won today against a shitload of great, internationally respected, multiple world winning champions.
    ...And you try to dismiss it?.
    Wtf have you done lately?
    Don't forget to blame it on $$$, not being able to travel...
    Escher showed the World that he is a fuc&ing champion!!!
    Jealous much?

#15 3 years ago

Come on wtf only on pinside can you have some go negative on something like this...... Escher won he played great congrads to him.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Escher won! You weren't even there.
    "..no way on Earth Escher world have won, blah blah"
    Seriously? How disrespectful can you be?
    Escher won today against a shitload of great, internationally respected, multiple world winning champions.
    ...And you try to dismiss it?.
    Wtf have you done lately?
    Don't forget to blame it on $$$, not being able to travel...
    Escher showed the World that he is a fuc&ing champion!!!
    Jealous much?

I can't (and probably shouldn't) speak for Frax, but goddamn. He stated his opinion and you're asking if he's "jealous much"? Come on, that doesn't do anything for the conversation.

Congrats to the winners.

#17 3 years ago

It can include bad performances from all sides but still lead to a championship. Didn't anyone watch the UNC-Gonzaga game?

#18 3 years ago

Dude's a beast.
    I watched him play at Flipout last year on GOT he had 3bil after ball one and Hand of the King was lit for ball 2.

Good job Escher!

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I can't (and probably shouldn't) speak for Frax, but goddamn. He stated his opinion and you're asking if he's "jealous much"? Come on, that doesn't do anything for the conversation.

Sure, low fruit I guess, the kindest thing I could come up with after he disrespected a great accomplishment.
    My apologies, let's get back go celebrating the PAPA world champion!

#20 3 years ago

Big congrats to Escher. Wow!

Frax: Come on. That's a pathetic way to post on a thread celebrating a monumental World Championship by an incredible 13-year old boy. There are many times in life where you need to know when to keep your mouth shut (or fingers off the keyboard). This would have been one of them.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Big congrats to Escher. Wow!
    Frax: Come on. That's a pathetic way to post on a thread celebrating a monumental World Championship by an incredible 13-year old boy. There are many times in life where you need to know when to keep your mouth shut (or fingers off the keyboard). This would have been one of them.

What did the guy even say that was so disrespectful!?!? He said the pinball chaos gods never shine upon him. He didn't say anything negative about the kid.

#22 3 years ago

Nobody has as much fun playing as Escher.

He's a great kid.... And this could something amazing for pinball. I bet he gets a lot of publicity.

PAPA needs to market this...

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

What did the guy even say that was so disrespectful!?!? He said the pinball chaos gods never shine upon him. He didn't say anything negative about the kid.

You need to go back and read his posts again. PM me if you want me to explain it to you... I'm not going to occupy any more space on this thread with anything negative.

Instead, let's celebrate that 13-YEAR OLD Escher Lefkoff won the PAPA World Championship!!

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I feel sorry for Bowen being put out to pasture by some ridiculously lucky pops action on Jungle Queen...there's no way on earth Escher would've won that round had the pop not kicked his ball back up into that lane a bajillion times in a row.

Quoted from Cornelius:

What did the guy even say that was so disrespectful!?

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

You need to go back and read his posts again. PM me if you want me to explain it to you... I'm not going to occupy any more space on this thread with anything negative.
    Instead, let's celebrate that 13-YEAR OLD Escher Lefkoff won the PAPA World Championship!!

I 2nd that

#26 3 years ago

DNO, i still think it's more of a comment on the lucky nature of Pinball, with yeah, a healthy dose of smack mixed in. You know, how people talk about, say, the opposing sports team?

It makes for rather fascinating conversation, in my opinion. Repeated messages of congratulations get a little same-same.

#27 3 years ago

Great games. Congrats to the winner!
    Loved the live coverage.
    More than 8 hours of finals on youtube (check for PAPA 20 Finals - 2017 World Pinball Championships).

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Nobody forced Bowen to pick jungle queen. Nature of the beast and silly to even bring up there's always an element of luck in pinball.

#29 3 years ago

Congrats to all the winners, especially Jordan Tredway who won the B division his a great kid from here in Melbourne an a member of our Bayside Pinaball club along with the other clubs around Melbourne, very proud of the kid, he deserves it, it's been a long time coming!!! Cheers Brownie...

#30 3 years ago

Congratulations ESCHER LEFKOFF on his amazing win! He has been playing in tournaments for at least 9 years that I know of, and has worked hard and paid his dues on his way to the top. He has never been afraid to go up against any adult of any ranking since Day One. I remember playing against him in tournaments at Lyons Classic Pinball starting when he was 4 years old. I don't think he ever came in last. He could beat you any time - none of us cut him any slack and made him earn every point! It always impressed people the first time they saw him haul his little custom pinball stepstool up to a machine, and then start trapping balls and calling his shots. Then you'd walk around the arcade and notice the initials EJL on many of the machines displays...pretty soon, we were going to Expo and PAPA and seeing EJL on their machines, too.
    Great job, Escher, and many thanks to his Dad for giving him every WPPRtunity to succeed in pinball and for being such a pinball advocate himself! Now we can all learn from Escher.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

So awesome.
    It should also be noted:
    rd

Yeah, I told my son that he failed to hold up his end of the deal when he got knocked out of C division, lol.

But, yes, congrats Escher! He's a great kid. He's humble, always smiling, and more than happy to help out other competitors by talking pinball.

#32 3 years ago

sand baggin in C to winning A in 4? short years!

congrats Escher. Put the money in your college fund!

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCP:

Congratulations ESCHER LEFKOFF on his amazing win! He has been playing in tournaments for at least 9 years that I know of, and has worked hard and paid his dues on his way to the top.

He's been playing in tournaments since he was 4?!

He's like the Todd Marinovich of pinball.

I mean...minus the failure and substance abuse!

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Great games. Congrats to the winner!
    Loved the live coverage.
    More than 8 hours of finals on youtube (check for PAPA 20 Finals - 2017 World Pinball Championships).

here's the direct link

#35 3 years ago

Pretty cool.

#36 3 years ago

I think Bowen chose JQ, more as the best way to help eliminate Cayle and Trent
    but was underestimating Escher.
    Any EM is always dangerous,
    but Bowen had the strategy of racking in 5000 pt shots into the KOHoles,
    which he did on his first ball.

Quoted from Frax:

ridiculously lucky pops action on Jungle Queen

Regarding the lucky bounces off the pop bumper,
    back up thru the top rollover lanes (greeking) by Escher,
    Well didn't the same thing happen to Bowen
    a ball or two earlier or maybe it was the tiebreaker on JQ before,
    where Bowen got "lucky" about half dozen times.

I love the fact that an EM (Jungle Queen) and a classic SS pin (Skateball)
    played key roles in deciding the PAPA champ.
    Personally I get tired of all the tournament game play on the standard Modern DMD pins
    in most tourneys; very glad that PAPA puts into play a good mix of EMs, Classic SS, as well as DMDs
    to help choose the champion; as a true champ has to master all what pinball has to offer.

Congrats to Escher
    and all the champs and participants in all the divisions.
    I think someone needs to call Ellen and have all the young champions appear on her show.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I think Bowen chose JQ, more as the best way to help eliminate Cayle and Trent

Yeah I agree with this. Escher only had two points going into the final game. Bowen was beating himself up on game choice but I had no issues with his picks. He put up 9 million plus on Skateball in qualifying. He has seen Escher play it poorly.

I really wanted Bowen to win, he was such a good qualifier. He's also a friend and introduced me to competitive pinball. Escher is the world champ and the tourney winner but I believe Bowen to be a better player and would take Bowen in any bet on a rematch.

There's variance in pinball. Bowen had a bounce on the flipper during a trap attempt that wasn't like the previous feeds/traps, and he fumbled and drained. But Escher barely got a flipper on the ball in Twilight Zone. When you play four days of pinball weird shit happens.

Anyone see the tiebreak between Adam Lefkoff and Escher ? I think 2.1 million won it on X-men?!

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I love the fact that an EM (Jungle Queen) and a classic SS pin (Skateball)
    played key roles in deciding the PAPA champ.
    Personally I get tired of all the tournament game play on the standard Modern DMD pins
    in most tourneys; very glad that PAPA puts into play a good mix of EMs, Classic SS, as well as DMDs
    to help choose the champion; as a true champ has to master all what pinball has to offer.

Totally agree with this. Watching loooong ball times on WPT was like watching paint dry with only the occasional ball save to add excitement.

The classics with short ball times where literally every shot counts and the rules can be explained to newbies quickly on the stream make for far more compelling viewing.

#39 3 years ago

Watched pretty much the whole stream, what an amazing run and a great lazy Sunday haha! So proud of Escher! Can't wait for the next season of Mile High Pinball League where we have the former National Champ Adam and his World Champion son Escher to deal with haha.

#40 3 years ago

I was watching both the Masters and the PAPA finals yesterday. Great job Escher! That celebration with his dad at the end when he realized he had won was awesome.

Here's a direct link to the portion of the video featuring said celebration:

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Congrats to the winners.

Thanks man, for stating the truth and not just jumping in herd mentality. I'm sure you'll enjoy your "punishment downvotes" for it... All I said was he got lucky on that game... and he did? He knew he got lucky, he wasn't nudging it back in there, he was too busy jumping up and down in disbelief, as I would have been too! It really sounds like you guys are just pissed that I didn't also say "congratulations"? Pretty sure I haven't posted those in prior years either....and I'm not about to start. It's a hell of an accomplishment, luck or not, but does Escher or Adam even post here? There's not much point in talking to an empty space. Sorry I hurt all you guys' feelings...sheesh.

Quoted from Richthofen:

2.1 million won it on X-men

Brutal. I'm going to have to go back and watch that.

Quoted from DCP:

He could beat you any time

Okay? Send him to Dallas and I'll be happy to play against him. I'd LOVE for my 7 year old to watch me get my ass legitimately handed to me by a 13 year old. I think it would really ignite his interest to see that it's possible for him to beat me and anyone else with enough practice and desire to improve. I love playing against people that are better than I am. I'm not sure how anyone that's competitive expects to always win AND to improve in any meaningful way. I don't think I'd be even half as good as I am right now without watching Xerico, Ken Kemp, Colin MacAlpine, Bob Matthews, etc. Every single person that utterly destroys me out of nothing more than a difference of skill has done me a bigger favor than they have done themselves by winning. I might not be HAPPY about it at times, but you better believe that I learn from it, whether it's a specific trick on that game, or something to improve general technique. I *love* that crap, and it's what drew me to and keeps me in competitive play. If I were to ever turn into Keith Elwin, I think I'd just quit playing, because it would be really boring. o_O

"If it pleases the Crown, may I please have an opinion of my own?" <----next Pinside shirt for sale.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

He put up 9 million plus on Skateball in qualifying. He has seen Escher play it poorly.

Having a good score prior isn't a great reason to pick a game in competitive play, IMO. Firsthand experience backing that up....I have screwed myself SO many times choosing something that I, by all history, should've scored great on, then psyched myself out by thinking it was going to be a homerun....and instead it was a bean ball in the nuts, with no cup! Picking something else that someone MIGHT be weak on is a stronger reason. I just think that Bowen's strengths lie more in DMD era games. The more complex and arcane the ruleset is, the better off he is I think.

I don't think I ever saw what the full bank was for finals...so I'm not entirely sure what his other possible choices were. I think I saw TWD over there, but that's definitely not a game I'd want to play against Escher on....I dunno. Only Bowen can really explain the logic behind his choice. Maybe he'll pop in here and rain down the knowledge upon us plebes.

#43 3 years ago

Photo credit to Genex (Orange Photography) for the great pics as usual.

300c5ca181d9e6f528b45089b802ce9e9c836c62_1_690x459 (1) (resized).jpg
    This one is great (below). You can see both the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.
    14d94bf59bca5852e539306fe7ab7d3bb1a43b6a_1_690x459 (resized).jpg4b9f8dcbf62dd502235c2b19d508b3e7947661f2_1_690x459 (resized).jpg0c1651492f607bb42463d9cf686c61d80e86225e_1_333x500 (resized).jpg

#44 3 years ago

That 1.3 million "win" on Xmen was likely a gift from Dad in the early rounds but I don't see any problem with that!

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That 1.3 million "win" on Xmen was likely a gift from Dad in the early rounds but I don't see any problem with that!

Could be, but Jason Werdrick had a full game at only 690k in the playoffs and I believe Jason even owns an XM. Sometimes those things just happen. Did Escher get lucky on Jungle Queen, sure. Luck plays a bigger factor on EMs where you can get housed on multiple balls at no fault of your own just by plunging. I don't think it takes away at all from what Escher did. He had to play a lot of games against a lot of great players to even be in that position and he has proven he is a great player time and time again in prior events. Besides, you have to have at least a little luck at some point to win an event like this.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's against the rules and the spirit of the event. Also what are you teaching your son in that moment?

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I don't think it takes away at all from what Escher did.

Which, for the record, I never said that it did. But the Pinside Echo Chamber strikes again.. I'm going to go back and make sure that what I said was actually factual, and I'll admit if I'm wrong, but I'm almost entirely certain that had everything played out minus the "lucky bounces" that Bowen would've won that game, and there wouldn't have been a tiebreaker? I think what I said was misinterpreted to mean that without luck, Escher wouldn't have had a chance at all, which is clearly *insanely* false, and not at all what I meant.

Everything I've ever heard about Adam....doesn't seem to indicate he'd just willingly throw a game.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Bowen's strengths lie more in DMD era games.

Yeah that's why he picked WPT but he had three very short balls on it to put himself in the hole in the first place.

He crushed Twilight Zone which we all expected. I mean JQ and Skateball are great picks, they're rarer games to see in the wild... if I were Bowen I would have picked Skateball too. We talked about it and the first thing he said after he got some composure was "I think I made a bad choice". I told him I 100% did not agree.

#49 3 years ago

I got my ass handed to me on ACDC by a 12 year old girl at Pinburgh. I never thought she got lucky. She deserved to win and I sucked.

"Play better!" Steve Ritchie screamed at me from the machine...and he was right.

#50 3 years ago

LOL that sounds like Bowen. God, I would kill for just a piece of his rationality and calmness, heh.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.99
    $ 52.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Boards
    PinSound
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 103.00
    $ 6.50
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 29.99
    $ 64.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 159.00
    $ 269.00
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Lee's Parts
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7.00
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside