(Topic ID: 196068)

Escape from the Lost World Club ~ Come on in!

By steve-o

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 246 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by steve-o
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170808_214044_Original.jpeg
escape3 (resized).jpg
escape1 (resized).jpg
IMG_5119 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5118 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5117 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5115 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5116 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5114 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5113 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5111 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5112 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5110 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5109 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5108 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5106 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steve-o.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

~~~Escape From The Lost World Club~~~

Just because it looked like fun... I picked up an 1988 Bally Escape from the Lost World project last month. I had no luck locating a EftLW Cub here on Pinside, so, here it is... Welcome!

My Escape from the Lost Word machine should turn out pretty nice once shopped and repairs have been made.
...So when I picked it up, the general illumination was 99% burned out, there was no trace of sound, broken plastics, insert graphics were missing (come on Classic Arcades, I can use a hand here), rubber rings were destroyed, filthy playfield and inside cabinet, missing the correct playfield glass (with the artwork on it), the plunger was mushroomed without a rubber tip (I'll need 2 fresh silverballs, of course), no backbox light present, many loose wires and coin mech switch dangling from the coin door, no coin door lock or manual and lastly... the upper left flipper coil was a mess of dangling, drooping, melted copper wires that I'm guessing failed when it locked it on. ...Oh yeah, there was a bunch of coffee beans mixed up in the dust as well as a bunch of loose parts, $8.75 in quarters (mostly from the 80's and early 90's), about 40 tokens and four 1980's nudie Polaroid photos.... Nice!!!

As of today, I have the sound working well, the coin door wiring sorted out and the upper left flipper flipping. It's playable. Boy, isn't it nice how easy the upper playfield swings up to service the playfields? I have already used it a bunch and will be a whole lot more while shopping it out.

Years back, I had a Blackwater 100, with the similar shaped cab and unique molded plastics. It was probably as unique as this pin, except BW100 started off with multiball which was pretty cool.

Machine splash:
Dan Langlois design.
Greg Freres art.
1,500 production.
Bally/Midway 6803 MPU.
It has the unique shaped cabinet that requires 5.5" longer rear legs.
Playfield glass had artwork applied to it to give it the appearance of more depth.
There's a bunch of molded plastic parts such as ramps, the bottom arch and volcano.
Weighs in at 225 lbs and measures 75" x 50" x 28"

Well, alright then. Come on in to the ALL NEW THREE DIMENSIONAL PLAYFIELD ENVIRONMENT!

Bring your EftLW tips, tricks, gameplay, pics, tech, questions, mods, stories... you name it right here.

Cheers, Steveo

aabg.jpgaabg.jpg

#4 6 years ago

I made a little forward progress with my EftLW project today with the GI lamp issue. It was as simple as locating and fixing the burned connector under the playfield. It almost looks like a real pin now with the lamps working.

I'm going to have to remove the rechargeable battery before it leaks and damages the MPU. 30 year old battery and no leak!!! It's pretty awesome that it's been doing its thing since November of 1987!!!

I have a question regarding the backglass: Is it supposed to be plexiglass or safety glass? Mine is plexiglass. Thanks!
~Steveo

20170819_172507 (resized).jpg20170819_172507 (resized).jpg

20170819_181713 (resized).jpg20170819_181713 (resized).jpg

20170819_180356 (resized).jpg20170819_180356 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I can't remember if my backglass was real glass. I want to say it was plexi with an insert.
Do you have the original screen printed playfield glass? That created a really neat 3D effect.

No. Sadly GLSP3022, it's just a regular plain tempered glass. Hopefully there will be a way to print the artwork and then apply it to a standard glass.
~Steveo

#7 6 years ago

Finding a little time here and digging deeper into my EftLW project I now have the rechargeable battery removed and replaced with a remote AA battery pack. The old battery was just beginning to leak on the PCB where the "-" end was soldiered into place.

I also installed two new balls. It's amazing how different a game "feels" when new balls are put into service.

As a final note, my backglass illumination 34W incandescent light bulb was missing, so I installed a 12V LED strip into the top side of the backbox. I could also add another separate strip at the bottom if I felt that it wasn't enough, but I do like how little the reflection is down on the playfield glass. I've attached a photo of it illuminated inside the backbox and it really freaks out my phones camera.
~Steveo

20170822_144823-1 (resized).jpg20170822_144823-1 (resized).jpg
20170822_151115-1 (resized).jpg20170822_151115-1 (resized).jpg
20170823_105912 (resized).jpg20170823_105912 (resized).jpg
20170823_105931 (resized).jpg20170823_105931 (resized).jpg
20170823_110017 (resized).jpg20170823_110017 (resized).jpg
20170823_110007-1 (resized).jpg20170823_110007-1 (resized).jpg

20170822_151422 (resized).jpg20170822_151422 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Here's two EftLW Horror Pics.

The upper left flipper coil and the shooter rod tip.

.....I'd say that they have come to the end of their "useful life" duty. I had to file the tip down on the shooter rod just to get it out of the cabinet.
~Steveo

20170821_150844 (resized).jpg20170821_150844 (resized).jpg

20170821_150633 (resized).jpg20170821_150633 (resized).jpg

4 months later
#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Didn’t know there was a club! I’m in! Did a shop on mine when I got it that included some repainting and leveling around the middle plexi insert - archived documentation on pinside for posterity. My backglass is a translite with safety glass I believe. Assumed they all were..?

My BG glass came to me in plastic. Safety glass would be an improvement in my opinion.
~Steveo

1 year later
#47 5 years ago
Quoted from cshelden:

Forgive if not the right place to post...
I looked at this game tonight, it works, needs a lot of lights replaced. PF dirty, plastics appeared good still. It's been sitting a long while, needs all the usual suspects replaced like rubber, new balls and overall general TLC. Top glass still in good shape with the silk screens. Cabinet has some scuffing nothing major. What's a decent ball park based on above? I tested all the targets, and switches by hand. One pop bumper is non responsive.
Thanks.

This is the right place to inquire.
Where the price lands pretty much comes down to geographic location, physical and mechanical condition and the buyer and sellers desire to acquire or eliminate. My guess here on the left coast in CA the price of the machine that you described would be somewhere around $1200-$1500.
~Steveo

Pinside has the $$$ range:

EFTLW splash (resized).pngEFTLW splash (resized).png
1 month later
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from lutijn:

Just bought this in mint shape first test tonigh Will post pictures

Welcome to the EftLW Club!
~Steveo

#54 5 years ago

Super clean pin lutijn!!
Very, very nice condition!

~Steveo

8 months later
#86 4 years ago
Quoted from RONR11:

I’m in. Thanks. Picked up my game today and will post later

Welcome to the EftLW Club RONR11! Looking forward to seeing you new pin!

~Steveo

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from RONR11:

Thanks. that’s was it. Second one down from top. Replacing bulbs are a bear, no room and hard to remove.

Hey RONR11,
I hope that you are aware how the upper playfield lifts up for access under and below it. If you don't have a manual, IPDB has a digital copy to view:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/789/Bally_1988_Escape_from_the_Lost_World_Operating_Parts_Manual.pdf

Section 8-4 and 8-5 describes the access.

Cheers,
Steveo

1 year later
#127 3 years ago

I no longer have my EFTLW to confirm, but from your pic it looks like it goes on the tab of the lamp holder on you middle lamp.

4 months later
#136 2 years ago

Spitballing here...

Veify switches 3 and 4 (lower left corner of image) are working properly.. if they both work correctly, verify that wiring and connections back to the pcb(s) are not broken.

check switch 3 and 4 (resized).jpgcheck switch 3 and 4 (resized).jpg
#138 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Id be looking at switch 32-34. There has to be a switch for when the ball drains and sits above those selenoids so they know to fire the ball left or right. I have no idea what type of switch is there though.. leaf, micro, opto? There is something though.
If the game never fires a ball left to stage the multiball, the switch that registers multiballs is stuck on most likely.

Maybe this switch?
Opto? Cold solder joits?

F8A4C330-1774-4531-A39D-E65E626A1D59 (resized).jpegF8A4C330-1774-4531-A39D-E65E626A1D59 (resized).jpeg

8 months later
#152 1 year ago

Welcome to the club RGC!
Nice looking EftLW machine. Ours is long gone to a new home. It’s hard to tell from your first group of photos, but do you have the path from the 3rd flipper that leads across the playfield? I don’t see it in any pics.
Nice cleanup of your game!
Steveo

93250D44-357A-4BB4-88CE-3C8F1CAD505F (resized).jpeg93250D44-357A-4BB4-88CE-3C8F1CAD505F (resized).jpeg
#154 1 year ago
Quoted from Rcarpen22:

the sound is almost imperceptible (even with the he rheostat turned all the way up). I have not managed to escape yet and haven’t even managed the first replay score. Other issues are no coin slots, no keys (locks are pretty torn up), and some of the artwork on the side of the cabinet is starting to peel. Overall, not too bad though.
Anyhoo, I bought this one because it was conveniently located and my kid loves dinosaurs, but turns out, I really love the game. I can see how this hobby could escalate quickly, as I am already making the list of what I want to put next to it
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

We had no sound when we got our EftLW years ago. I don’t exactly remember how it was totally resolved, but I do recall that the volume control on the coin door was opposite rotation to increase volume. [it may have been an incorrect replacement potentiometer as none of any of our 170+ pins over the years have had this direction of sound control. This was our one and only Bally 6803 game here] Also, there may be a volume control pot on the sound board inside the backbox that may come into play.
Good working sound in this game and all other games is paramount to complete the pinball adventure.

#156 1 year ago

Yes. Clockwise (volume up) is the norm. That’s pretty much the best resolution to remedying your sound issue. If all issues could be resolved as simple.

2 weeks later
#158 1 year ago

Does pages 7-4 and 7-5 in the manual help? I no longer have the game.

97D7583E-C031-4ACA-A358-634B78D064BB (resized).jpeg97D7583E-C031-4ACA-A358-634B78D064BB (resized).jpeg
#160 1 year ago

I think from looking at online photos that maybe someone in the past added those screws/rubbers due to a damaged ramp entrance…. Hard to say without seeing that area populated.

EftLW manual is online here:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/789/Bally_1988_Escape_from_the_Lost_World_Operating_Parts_Manual.pdf

1 year later
#210 10 months ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Escape from the lost world is a pretty dimly lit game with incandescent bulbs, but I found that using these bulbs for the GI really helps. I'm about half way through swapping all the bulbs to LEDs, I'll try to share some before/after pics when I'm done.
[quoted image]

Looking forward to seeing your GI LED job.

#212 10 months ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I forgot to take a before picture, but I found this one in this thread that looks like how mine did with incandescent bulbs.
Also, the after pic is about 90% done.
Also also, I ran low on pure white wedge leds, so I had to use color under a few inserts. Kept the GI white though.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I'm quite happy with how much brighter it is. The white GI looks a bit over powering in a few spots in the pic, but in person its just right. I also used those 5-in-1 led's in the pop bumpers, and am very happy with how much brighter / more colorful they are now.

very nice improvement indeed!

1 month later
#214 9 months ago
Quoted from Scottiiboyii:

Anyone know how to turn off the extra ball for this game?

Guessing…. Settings found on page 39 (5-5)

1 month later
#216 7 months ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Can anyone tell me the steps of setting it to free play?

From the online manual. Hope this helps. We no longer own a EftLW pin.

IMG_0801 (resized).jpegIMG_0801 (resized).jpegIMG_0802 (resized).jpegIMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
6 months later
#246 49 days ago

We’ve sold our EftLW pin a few years back. Here’s the only pic that I have showing the legs (just barely at that) that came with it. I don’t think that I see ribs.

20170808_214044_Original.jpeg20170808_214044_Original.jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 36.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steve-o.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escape-from-the-lost-world-club-come-on-in?tu=steve-o and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.