Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Escapefromthelostworld01.jpg
DSC01662.JPG
DSC01671.JPG
DSC01673.JPG
DSC01670.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I've never played nor even seen this machine but I like what I see around the net. There's one for sale not TOO far away and it's sort of tickling my interest. Anyone have thoughts about this machine? Looks pretty crazy.

#2 11 years ago

probably the most random machine I've ever played. Hard to get much strategy going as the ball is always falling off of something when you least expect it. Maybe it is possible to get "good" at it with enough play, but in my short time of ownership it seems mostly a "knock it around and try to keep it from draining" game. I think younger kids would probably enjoy it for that reason and also the dino theme. Casual players also like it cuz their eyes glaze over when I try to explain rules and modes on my other machines. Then I point them to EFTLW and say "or you can just bash around on that one" and they seem to enjoy that more. I honestly think there is always room in a collection for a machine like that.

So I've got mixed feelings. I don't play it much. I did offer it up for sale recently at $700 and have only received lowball offers. So if you like it, cool. Just don't overpay.

#3 11 years ago

I like Lost World better than escape from the lost world. Even though it is straight forward and very simple.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks for the replies folks, especially that note on price. He's listing at $1150 which seemed high for a game no one seems to really like. I do have two small boys, and a Predator on the horizon that I'm not entirely sure I'll feel comfortable with them playing. Yeah, you can turn off naughty words, but I sort of doubt you can turn off the endless, murderous (and awesome) violence. I'm one of those oddball parents that would rather my kids hear bad words and look at half naked women than watch people disemboweled and shot in the head.

A family friendly dino game might be a nice way to subvert the "I want to play Daddy's new game" struggles I see happening all the time in 2013.

#5 11 years ago

For kids I would really recommend Super Mario Bros. I think it is very fun and just deep enough to keep playing. Fairly simple but I really like the game and theme. Absolutely kid friendly.

#6 11 years ago

I own an Escape from the lost world, I like it. It is centered around the escape shot, which is hard to get but is one of the most interesting shot in pinball. I've made a video review on youtube

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

He's listing at $1150 which seemed high for a game no one seems to really like

Now that's not fair!

Quoted from xkane47:

I own an Escape from the Lost World, I like it.

See, told you so.

$1150 is too high though unless it's super pristine and you really, really want it. Issues are the plastic parts are unobtanium, so if things like the ramps, etc. break bad (they most likely are already broken to some degree) you can't buy replacements. The Bally 6803 boardset has quirks, was only used for a short period of time, and there aren't a lot of people with experience to help if something goes wrong.

Still, it's a semi-modern machine with some interesting things going on and a decent theme and relatively cheap as pinball machines go. You should be able to get it for < $900. Play it for a year or two, and if you want to sell it, you could lose a couple hundred dollars. In the big picture, no big deal, right?

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

For kids I would really recommend Super Mario Bros. I think it is very fun and just deep enough to keep playing. Fairly simple but I really like the game and theme. Absolutely kid friendly.

Can't stand the Mario franchise myself, but thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the video link xkane!

I'm waiting to hear back about pictures, history and condition and I'll go from there. I'll let you guys know if anything exciting happens.

1 year later
#9 9 years ago

I own this machine, as stated it is has a very simple rule set. Not very in depth but good if you're just looking for a quick short game to get your pinball fix. Its definitely a keeper in my opinion.

My advice to anyone who owns this machine or wants to buy one: MAKE THE FLIPPERS WEAKER!!! Aside from the lower right flipper, all of the other three flipper are way too powerful in this machine. There is no reason for it and it is the main reason all of these machines have broken ramps/plastics. I swapped out coils and adjusted the EOS switches on three of the flippers to decrease power by about 50% and it works great and greatly reduces risk of playfield damage. In fact, its easier to play and more ball control is avaible because the ball does not fly off the playfield into oblivioun every other shot. Just my two cents

-Brian

#10 9 years ago

"YOU CAN ESCAPE!"

It's a very interesting game, and is fun to play; but it's a total 1 trick pony. If you own 1 machine and this would be 2, I wouldn't get it....it's the definition of a large collection game.

8 months later
#11 9 years ago

Really enjoying the gameplay and it looks great, I did some pretty heavy duty cleaning and lighting upgrades and I think I'm going to get this alt translite for it.

DSC01670.JPGDSC01670.JPG DSC01671.JPGDSC01671.JPG DSC01673.JPGDSC01673.JPG DSC01662.JPGDSC01662.JPG Escapefromthelostworld01.jpgEscapefromthelostworld01.jpg
#12 9 years ago

Nice!
I think you just talked me into changing the bulbs under the plastics to colored LEDs on mine.
Where is that translight from?

#13 9 years ago

Saw it on Ebay, heres the link and if you change the lights go with red frosted led's. I also used several 7 LED red strips from comet pinball and they can be pluged directly into the 555 connectors as there are many to use so I mixed it up.

ebay.com link: Escape from the Lost World Pinball Alternate Translite

#14 9 years ago

Looks awesome! I think you convinced me to upgrade the lighting in mine.

#15 9 years ago

I made a topic in the modding forum showing what I did to my EFTLW machine. The main mod is I added a fiberoptic lamp to the volcano to simulate an eruption. The thread is called:

"Escape From The Lost World (EFTLW) Pinball - Lighting Mods"

There are pics and a YouTube video of the mod in action.

#16 9 years ago

I'm having an issue where none of the flashers are working at all? I checked the fuses they are all good, something strange going on. Any advice is appreciated.

#17 9 years ago

Possibly a relay, or one of the MPU/driver board IC's used for multiplexing, or one of the transistors in that circuit. For pf lights if a bunch go out at once I've had both a failed transistor and IC cause the problem. It's just a matter of looking at a diagram of the driver/mpu board(s) to see which components drive the flashers. When you figure it out please post the solution, because chances are I will run into the same problem at some point

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Possibly a relay, or one of the MPU/driver board IC's used for multiplexing, or one of the transistors in that circuit. For pf lights if a bunch go out at once I've had both a failed transistor and IC cause the problem. It's just a matter of looking at a diagram of the driver/mpu board(s) to see which components drive the flashers. When you figure it out please post the solution, because chances are I will run into the same problem at some point

I will for sure and thank you for the suggestions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
New Cumberland, PA
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escape-from-the-lost-world and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.