Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by albose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Recently picked up an Escape from the Lost World as my first pin. Working on fixing up a few things and noticed there is a fair amount of static in the sound. From the forum one recommendation is replace the AD7533 DAC chip at U8. There are several on eBay but they have different suffixes like JN, KN or LN. Does anyone know if any of these are suitable or do I need a specific one? Thanks in advance.

#2 5 years ago

"N" Suffix = plastic DIP package
J, K and L are non-linearity (accuracy) of the recreated sound - J = cheapest, least accurate, L = most expensive, most accurate.
Odds are your ears won't discern a difference between the three in a pinball machine.

What is the one you currently have installed? Should have a J, K or N.
Parts with higher temperature range (typically "D" suffix or ceramic DIP package) have an A, B or C within the suffix or an S, T or U within the suffix.
A = J = S
B = K = T
C = L = U

Also, before looking at the pricey DAC - look at the small value electrolytics first. Particularly the 1uF caps in the otuput section as well as the speaker coupling 1000uF cap.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

"N" Suffix = plastic DIP package
J, K and L are non-linearity (accuracy) of the recreated sound - J = cheapest, least accurate, L = most expensive, most accurate.
Odds are your ears won't discern a difference between the three in a pinball machine.
What is the one you currently have installed? Should have a J, K or N.
Parts with higher temperature range (typically "D" suffix or ceramic DIP package) have an A, B or C within the suffix or an S, T or U within the suffix.
A = J = S
B = K = T
C = L = U
Also, before looking at the pricey DAC - look at the small value electrolytics first. Particularly the 1uF caps in the otuput section as well as the speaker coupling 1000uF cap.

Thanks for the great info. I’m not comfortable messing with the board beyond replacing chips. I can get one for $5-$6 which isn’t bad. The part on the one in there now is odd though. It’s PMIPM 7533. No suffix. The manual says the part is AD 7533.

#4 5 years ago

PMI semiconductor (PMI prefix) -- bought by Analog Devices many years ago hence the current AD prefix.

Actually the capacitors are cheaper and much easier to replace than the IC.
Based on the age of the board - you really should look into that.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

PMI semiconductor (PMI prefix) -- bought by Analog Devices many years ago hence the current AD prefix.
Actually the capacitors are cheaper and much easier to replace than the IC.
Based on the age of the board - you really should look into that.

Gotcha! Thanks again for the great info. Maybe I will take a look at the caps. Need to learn at some point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 36.95
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escape-from-lost-world-sound-static and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.