(Topic ID: 172426)

ESCAPE! - A New Pinball Project

By jim5six

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180725_165921 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180323_180533 (resized).jpg
    Playfield30 (resized).png
    2018-03-17 12.56.01 (resized).jpg
    2018-03-17 13.06.21 (resized).jpg
    Playfield25 (resized).png
    Playfield_detail (resized).png
    Playfield5 (resized).png
    2017-11-04 15.59.14 (resized).jpg
    2017-11-04 15.28.33 (resized).jpg
    2017-06-18 11.10.45 (resized).jpg
    2017-06-19 19.44.13 (resized).jpg
    2017-06-19 19.45.01 (resized).jpg
    2017-06-03 17.22.01 (resized).jpg
    2017-06-03 17.14.14 (resized).jpg
    2017-06-03 17.12.52 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from jim5six:

Along with my two fellow enthusiasts User: Sliderpoint and Max (not currently a member) we are embarking on this together

I see sliderpoint lives in washington (far stretch from nevada). I was honestly thinking just today, could a group of pinball enthusiasts (each with a talent) all collaborate on a project from a distance and get a pinball designed? Seems like every homebrew person struggles with at least 2-3 out of 4 aspects of design. It would be nice if experts can focus on each part of it. I can do mechanical, and a little bit of art, and can struggle through electrical, but I know almost nothing about programming.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

HEY! I wanted to make a Journey Pin for years.

someone beat you to it
    http://pinballbuilders.com/?cat=2

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

If you hang out on the pinball controllers forum, you probably could convince some of the guys there to help you out with your project

not so much help.. Help means "I can't figure this out, help".. "Ok, so get this framework, get a basic running game, then go look at this example code to see how it could implement on your design". Believe me, I would love to do every aspect of what it takes to build a pinball machine (like ben heck), but even if you know what you're doing it can take years of working nights and weekends. If you're on a learning curve, your project will get really stale from grinding it out.

I'm talking about sharing the workload, but you'd have to convince 2-3 other pinball enthusiasts also excited by the same theme (nothing drives a project more than something you're passionate about). I helped Hugh from OPP with all the artwork and voicework for sharpe shooter 3 because I felt it was payback for letting me beta test early OPP boards. Hugh is good at electronics / programming, but he might struggle with a layout from scratch (hence re-using the sharp shooter donor playfield).. And when I saw what he was planning for artwork, I had to jump in. Not to say I'm a great artist, but it turned out pretty good for homebrew.

SS3_cabinet_art (resized).jpgSS3_cabinet_art (resized).jpg

sharpe_shooter3_playfield (resized).jpgsharpe_shooter3_playfield (resized).jpg

3 months later
    #100 7 years ago
    Quoted from jim5six:

I wanted to figure out a way to easily mock up the wire rails before we went to the trouble of getting them all welded up. I cam up with a 3 clip system

So did I:
    http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Files_Section
    wireform_bracket (resized).jpgwireform_bracket (resized).jpg

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from etlandfill:

What kind of 3D printer do you have? If one of the "cheap" ones can do things like that, I might have to get one for my pin project

If you're working on anything custom pinball, don't even debate it.. Get a 3d printer, it'll open up your world.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-noob

1 week later
    #112 7 years ago
    Quoted from jim5six:

Glued the Second Ramp together and uploaded some play videos:

Those 3d printed ramps worked well. I like the flow. What do you have planned for the upper left playfield?

2 months later
    #159 6 years ago

that flow looks great. I'm curious what happens if you go UP the left ramp since it dumps from the upper playfield? Or are you going to have a one-way gate eventually so you can't enter it.

1 month later
    #178 6 years ago
    Quoted from jim5six:

We did manage to get some work done on the vacuum forming machine

I've considered building one for years, but if I'm going to do it I'm going to want a large platen. Looks like you're doing maybe 12x12" sheets which seems very reasonable. Seems like the vacuum isn't nearly as important as having a storage tank to store a large vacuum to quickly pull the material.

Are you using a common shop vac, or a true vacuum pump?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escape-a-new-pinball-project?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.