Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jalpert
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FA39B315-F762-4C2E-9545-192E96D87EDE (resized).jpeg
    A65E3CBB-5414-4B54-8521-45EDF68EE922 (resized).jpeg
    A25D9584-A692-4848-B302-85091F2353FA (resized).jpeg
    7B450903-05A9-4976-8CB3-BC7B920EBAF7 (resized).jpeg
    F3437BE1-7B71-48C2-9C6D-B10E36A49ACE (resized).jpeg
    big_wheels.png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20180304_143708.jpg
    20180304_143655.jpg
    73577BA6-3447-4F6C-9153-610249CF8D75 (resized).jpeg
    EF270EEB-100C-47C5-B9D1-75B52C2AD7C9 (resized).jpeg
    B8CA0382-91BB-4585-BF84-747A1C47A1FB (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1260 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flipnout1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago

Yep you need to call me. I generally spend 15 to 30 minutes understanding your situation. Then based on what people tell me I can make a recommendation of what you need.
    I know it seems like you should just buy an Escalera but since we custom build many orders with different accessories and heights, etc. I like to give everyone the benefit of my experience of moving pins and pretty much anything else heavy that goes up or down stairs.

[email protected]

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Assuming I get the regular stair-climber, not the forklift, is there a way to carry it from a trailer hitch?

I don't know of anything that will let you do that. With the RLA-HC forklift model you can use the LH-3 Lift Hitch accessory to carry it on the back of your vehicle.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

I own an MS-1-66, big set of wheel, big toe plate. It lifts 1200 lbs.
    The big wheels work great on gravel and grass. The wheels also work well as a fulcrum to balance the load.
    The big toe I have not seen a great use with as pins/vids and boilers* don't need it.
    Yep, moved a 600lb boiler down the stairs last week with mine. Scary shit. But it does its job. Love it.
    The only issue I have seen is that it would be nice if you could lock the wheels from moving when going up and down stairs. The issue is when you have tall items and are leaning way back to center the load or clear a bulkhead threshold, the freewheeling wheels can/will shoot forward if your lifting feet lose traction and you can end up pulling your shoulder out of socket trying to stop it from flying down the stairs. Talking from experience, one case of tendonitis and a cortisone shot later.
    Escalera used to make a braking kit but I can not find it reference anymore. I am planning on drilling a hole through my wheels/frame to be able to insert locking pins.

The brake kit is called SED-1 Step Edge Detection. It applies a brake to the wheel once the wheels get 2 inches from the edge of the step.

If you need to keep the Escalera from rolling while sitting just move the lifting wheels down until they just touch the ground and that will keep it from rolling.

[email protected]

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from 68Pontinut:

I have owned both the Escalera with forklift and a Power Mate. The Escalera was much heavier at 168lbs and harder to maneuver on stairs. I also damaged a new floor in a new home with it (The chain driven lift is very close to the floor). We moved 6 pins with it and sold it to buy a Power Mate. The Power Mate will also load a game in the back of a pick-up with no problem. I would check all options that are available to you.

The forklift model does weigh 181 lbs but its removable so now your hand truck only weighs 66 lbs. All the weight is in the forklift assembly. If you had the non removable model at 168lbs. (which I don't recommend unless in an industrial environment) then I can see why you found it harder to maneuver. I almost never use the forklift while on stairs. I just use it to lift heavy objects up and down then I remove it until I need it again. Best of both worlds IMHO.
    As far as damaging the floor with the chain it should never happen as the wheels keep it from touching. Unless you went over a threshold with one wheel on one side and the other on the other side then the high part of the threshold could rub on the chain. Only scenario I can think where it might happen. Answer is just to go over it straight.

Others brands have been mentioned but typically the Escalera is much cheaper and lighter than the competitors. There is no perfect solution for every scenario that I have run into but for moving games up and down stairs the Escalera is answer. But I'm biased.

Again if anyone has any questions just call me. I don't have to sell you one to answer questions. All part of my job.

[email protected]

1 week later
    #36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Anyone know the answer to this...and does it vary if it is a widebody?

This is my usual answer. If you are using a hand truck to move a pin now you can use an Escalera.

But here are the dimensions of an Escalera. The toe plate is 24 inches wide. The distance from the back of the wheel to the front part of the frame that a game would be resting against is about 7 inches. So add the 7 inches to the dimension of a folded up pin and that will tell you if it will fit. The door obviously to the stairway would be open so you only need to get the Escalera on to the landing and you can start the turn. Or you may have to set it down and spin it on something so as to not scratch the floor.
    Widebody pins would probably not make any difference as the head of any pin in the widest part, not the body. The head is about 27-29 inches depending on manufacturer so they can fit through any exterior doorway.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

2nd strap is a must, the big wheel didn't work for me well going through grass and bumpy lawns, so i sold those. you can lose the load sidweays using those big wheel attach. balloon air filled tires on dollies dont work well with heavy loads for me anyways.
    make sure you get kick back wheels though.

The Big Wheel Attachment (BWA-1) is no longer supplied with pneumatic tires. Escalera changed that several years ago and the tires are now a hard rubber with no air needed. This eliminates any issues with one tire being lower than the other and causing it to lean to one side with a heavy load. Without the BWA-1 attachment I'm not sure how you can go through grass without them.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Thanks. I guess part of the problem is that I don't know if I could move them in that space with a regular hand truck. Right now, I carry stuff around the side of the yard to the basement. However, it is challenging in that there is a significant elevation gain and a handful of stepping stones, which act like stair steps to take up the steepest part of the slope. Then once I get to ground level, I have lots of plants and posts and rocks to navigate. God help me if I should step on a plant. It seems like it would be a whole lot simpler if I could use the stairs. Maybe someone else has experience navigating stairs with this limitation?

If you have 36 inches I'm sure I could do it by standing the game straight up attached to the hand truck and then spinning it the 90 degrees to align it with the stairs and then carefully break the load back while slipping in behind it. As you move the game to the edge it will basically be hanging over the edge (2 inches from the edge is perfect) with you behind it and then push the button to start walking it down the stairs. A little tricky getting started but then its easy. First step is always the hardest right? LOL

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

If this was an infomercial I'd be fumbling with my wallet and my phone resting on my shoulder.
    Larry was recommended highly before I even got to this thread . What is the delivery time ballpark once you have your order and your options in place. Distance is about 850-900
    Miles .

Once you order its about three weeks before you receive it. Most are custom built to each order so any options are added at the factory before shipping.
    Larry

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Somebody on CL is selling one for $2k with the big wheel. Is this a good price? Let's assume it's in good working condition - but I have no idea what a reasonable value is

Depending on model and options it may or not be good. Standard hand truck starts at $1895

Larry

4 months later
    #71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Has anyone figured out how to transport this thing. It looks like it’s too big for me to use at home, so I figure I’d use it to pick up machines. But, I’d have to attach the forklift monster to transport it on my hitch. Anyone figure out an alternative way to transport this thing? I have a Land Cruiser which has notoriously small cargo area. Not enough room for a machine and the Escalera.

Yes its easy with the LH-3 lift hitch accessory. If you don't want to take the forklift with you (assuming you have the removable fork lift model) leave it at home. The hand truck by itself is the probably the same size as any other hand truck. Forklift model is 66 inches. Yes it weighs more, 76 lbs without the forklift, but I assume you got this to climb stairs. Take the motor, transmission, and the battery off and you basically have the same weigh as any hand truck.

IMG_1260 (resized).JPGIMG_1260 (resized).JPG

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

When it’s on the hitch and you have to get it out, it’s very awkward and heavy. Have you figured out a method to wrestle this thing out of there?

It just slides out and tips to the ground. I don't find it all that awkward but then I've been doing this for years.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Larry -
    Will you be at the Allentown show? If so, will you have any handtrucks available there?
    Chris

Not going to Allentown. Texas will be my third show in three weeks so after Texas its time to stay home for a bit.

Larry

#97 6 years ago

Escalera has been in business for 54 years now. Just talked to a dealer that has had his for 30 years.
    Weighs half as much as an Lectrotruck. Costs half as much and won’t pin you against the wall at a turn. Different designs so you decide what works best for you.

1 month later
    #108 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

OK Escalera owners I need some advice. I have had the unit for about 2 weeks and I must be doing it wrong? Granted my first attempt was an Elephant Hobbit. Going up my stairs (many more than 3) it almost Lunges forward making it a holly crap moment. I tried using a lower angle and that was a Scary outcome as it ended up rolling down 3 stairs with me holding on for dear life. Tried less angle and back to lunging #400 lbs forward again. What am I missing as I really want this to work but it feels safer now with the old clean and jerk with the manual dolly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Possibly my stair treads are to small or tall? There is barely an inch for the lift roller to grab the end of each stair?

Gweempose is correct it is the shift in the balance point from the wheels to the feet that have landed on the next step up.

Try this until you get used to moving a game with the Escalera. As the feet go down to touch the step go very slowly until they just touch the next step. Push down on the handle to physically move the weight from the wheels to the feet. Now the game is on the next step so no change in the balance point. Repeat until you are up the stairs. Once you get used to this it will be second nature.

If you lower the game the belt on the hand truck will contact the edge of the stairs before the feet and allow it to slide down as with yelobird. So maintain the balance point at all times and it will be fine.

Jellikit the middle size is the 66 inch. So the forklift option only goes on the 66 inch or a special order for a 72 inch.

[email protected]

#129 5 years ago

I have no problems going down or up. But I use it almost every day and have been for many years. For folks who don't use an Escalera, or any other hand truck but occasionally, I can understand why it makes them nervous to see their game hanging over the edge of the steps. Used correctly one person can do it very safely. Base model Escalera is rated for 700# but the base models on some hand trucks are only rated for 600#.
    Other hand trucks can pin you against the wall at a landing since they must extend to lift over that last step. Escalera does not.
    The Escalera does not damage the edge of the stairs. It lifts the wheels over the edge, just like many other powered hand trucks. Appliance dollies or hand truck actually use the edge of the steps. The belt hits the edge and all the weight is applied to the belt as it rotates up to the next step.
    Watch videos on how it works and you can see exactly how the wheels clear the edge of the step.

[email protected]

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flipnout1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-which-model-which-accessories?tu=flipnout1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.