Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jalpert
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FA39B315-F762-4C2E-9545-192E96D87EDE (resized).jpeg
    A65E3CBB-5414-4B54-8521-45EDF68EE922 (resized).jpeg
    A25D9584-A692-4848-B302-85091F2353FA (resized).jpeg
    7B450903-05A9-4976-8CB3-BC7B920EBAF7 (resized).jpeg
    F3437BE1-7B71-48C2-9C6D-B10E36A49ACE (resized).jpeg
    big_wheels.png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20180304_143708.jpg
    20180304_143655.jpg
    73577BA6-3447-4F6C-9153-610249CF8D75 (resized).jpeg
    EF270EEB-100C-47C5-B9D1-75B52C2AD7C9 (resized).jpeg
    B8CA0382-91BB-4585-BF84-747A1C47A1FB (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1260 (resized).JPG
    There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

Depends on the model. Larry has the one without the forklift attachment for about $1700-$1800 I believe and the big wheels is an additional $150. The model with the forklift attachment is $2400 or so I believe.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

If this was an infomercial I'd be fumbling with my wallet and my phone resting on my shoulder.
    Larry was recommended highly before I even got to this thread . What is the delivery time ballpark once you have your order and your options in place. Distance is about 850-900
    Miles .

Once you order its about three weeks before you receive it. Most are custom built to each order so any options are added at the factory before shipping.
    Larry

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Somebody on CL is selling one for $2k with the big wheel. Is this a good price? Let's assume it's in good working condition - but I have no idea what a reasonable value is

Depending on model and options it may or not be good. Standard hand truck starts at $1895

Larry

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Somebody on CL is selling one for $2k with the big wheel. Is this a good price? Let's assume it's in good working condition - but I have no idea what a reasonable value is

No. Used they can be had for $1200 or less. A fair price is $700-800.

#55 6 years ago

Really know what you are looking at in used ones. Beat to crap, worn out, dead batteries, is common. To much $$$$ to get back in safe, usable shape.

You can find good used, just know what you are doing.

LTG : )

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from Turtle:

No. Used they can be had for $1200 or less. A fair price is $700-800.

Damn. I would pay $800 for one in a heartbeat.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

The Big Wheel Attachment (BWA-1) is no longer supplied with pneumatic tires. Escalera changed that several years ago and the tires are now a hard rubber with no air needed.

bout to say, I've never had an issue with them. you can get away with the regular wheels on a hard solid surface, but on asphalt or grass I couldn't imagine doing it without them.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Really know what you are looking at in used ones. Beat to crap, worn out, dead batteries, is common. To much $$$$ to get back in safe, usable shape.
    You can find good used, just know what you are doing.

Great points. I found Escalara had great customer service. They answered all of my questions and the parts were reasonable priced. The motor is probably the most expensive - $150, wheels - $50, and lifting feed - $30-40. These are the common replacement parts. The battery can be bought online or locally. Don't know the cost.

1 month later
    #59 6 years ago

Here is the expired Ebay from when I found mine for under a grand.

ebay.com link:

It needed a battery. I then got my big wheels and my big toeplate off of Larry. The only thing it still could use is the cover plate for the chain/motor assy but I can live without it.

Other that pin moving, I moved my dead heating boiler out of the basement and the new one in early in December and it paid for itself last couple weeks.

1 week later
    #60 6 years ago

Should I get one strap or two? three?

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

If you are only using it to move pinball machines, one strap should suffice. I have two, and I like it because it makes the load a bit more secure. It also offers more flexibility by allowing you to safely move smaller/shorter loads. That being said, you can always just supplement the built-in strap with your own ratchet strap.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Two. I have a regular two wheeler, and got one strap. And always regretted how many times two would have made things so much easier. On a truck, one for game, one to hold game and dolly to truck. And with two, never have a load shift.

1 month later
    #63 6 years ago

Wow, this thing is really heavy. Really wish there was a way to transport the Escalera on the hitch without the forklift attachment. Not sure I'll be using this near as much without that option. Seems like I'm trading lifting a heavy machine for lifting a heavy forklift? How does this save my back?

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

How does this save my back?

One word ... stairs. I recently moved an arcade game down into my basement that would have given me a coronary with a normal hand truck. With the Escalera, I barely broke a sweat.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

How does this save my back?

Once the Escalera is loaded with a machine its get even heavier as you can imagine. But after bracing yourself for the first step to climb, (to find your center) it's all about balancing the load and allowing the machine to do the climbing work for you.

Practice some stair climbing with a empty or smaller load to get a sense of it. Your back really doesn't enter into it much as you will be keeping it straight while leaning back. You will be using your upper body to pull the top towards you for the balance of the cargo as I mentioned.

Russell. Give me a call if you have questions or concerns and I can give you a walk through. The escalera can be heavy loading and unloading in itself, but I love the thing.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

2nd strap is a must, the big wheel didn't work for me well going through grass and bumpy lawns, so i sold those. you can lose the load sidweays using those big wheel attach. balloon air filled tires on dollies dont work well with heavy loads for me anyways.
    make sure you get kick back wheels though.

I bought a 60 a couple years ago and love it. I was wondering about the kickback wheels you mentioned. Are they add-ons after the fact or did you have to get them on the machine when you bought it? Do they work well? Look really slick. I had a tough time with the large wheels too. Thanks.

#67 6 years ago

I think I got the 60 from Larry at the 2017 expo.I got the big wheels and extender for bottom platform. No fork lift but that looked heavy and mine is heavy as it is.

I wheeled it down the street 10 days ago to my son in laws house and brought down a beverage fridge. It was easier to wheel that get in and out of the car for the short distance. Have used it since fall to move 6 pins up and down stairs 3 for me and 3 for good friends- neighbors.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

No fork lift but that looked heavy and mine is heavy as it is.

It's insanely heavy with the forklift attached.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It's insanely heavy with the forklift attached.

Thank you. I overlooked Russells comment about the forklift attachment when I commented above. Interpret my post as you like and carry on.

#70 6 years ago

Has anyone figured out how to transport this thing. It looks like it’s too big for me to use at home, so I figure I’d use it to pick up machines. But, I’d have to attach the forklift monster to transport it on my hitch. Anyone figure out an alternative way to transport this thing? I have a Land Cruiser which has notoriously small cargo area. Not enough room for a machine and the Escalera.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Has anyone figured out how to transport this thing. It looks like it’s too big for me to use at home, so I figure I’d use it to pick up machines. But, I’d have to attach the forklift monster to transport it on my hitch. Anyone figure out an alternative way to transport this thing? I have a Land Cruiser which has notoriously small cargo area. Not enough room for a machine and the Escalera.

Yes its easy with the LH-3 lift hitch accessory. If you don't want to take the forklift with you (assuming you have the removable fork lift model) leave it at home. The hand truck by itself is the probably the same size as any other hand truck. Forklift model is 66 inches. Yes it weighs more, 76 lbs without the forklift, but I assume you got this to climb stairs. Take the motor, transmission, and the battery off and you basically have the same weigh as any hand truck.

IMG_1260 (resized).JPGIMG_1260 (resized).JPG

#72 6 years ago

I love the big wheel attachment. It was a cheap add on and the main reason I use the escalera. I’m bringing mine to Texas just for load in and out and there are no stairs.

B8CA0382-91BB-4585-BF84-747A1C47A1FB (resized).jpegB8CA0382-91BB-4585-BF84-747A1C47A1FB (resized).jpeg

#73 6 years ago

One more thing

I got the shorter version for my specific needs. I had a small T intersection hallway at the top of my stairs. A tall escalera wound not pivot back without hitting the wall after making the top stair.

Otherwise, I recommend the longer version. Leverage is your friend!

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

Yes its easy with the LH-3 lift hitch accessory. If you don't want to take the forklift with you (assuming you have the removable fork lift model) leave it at home. The hand truck by itself is the probably the same size as any other hand truck. Forklift model is 66 inches. Yes it weighs more, 76 lbs without the forklift, but I assume you got this to climb stairs. Take the motor, transmission, and the battery off and you basically have the same weigh as any hand truck.

When it’s on the hitch and you have to get it out, it’s very awkward and heavy. Have you figured out a method to wrestle this thing out of there?

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

When it’s on the hitch and you have to get it out, it’s very awkward and heavy. Have you figured out a method to wrestle this thing out of there?

It just slides out and tips to the ground. I don't find it all that awkward but then I've been doing this for years.

#76 6 years ago

Seems like you have to lift the thing up to tilt the front down low enough, then pull back to where it will tip out. Maybe a little different angle depending on vehicle details.

#77 6 years ago

I took a royal dive down a flight of steps, drug by my Escalera and an aptly named pin, Wipeout. Something popped in the Escalera in mid lift, probably a shear key. I was drug down the carpeted stairs like a lame superhero . My butt claps shut every time I walk by the thing, a highly unpleasant experience. I really should look into fixing and upgrading it. It worked fantastic before the dive.

EF270EEB-100C-47C5-B9D1-75B52C2AD7C9 (resized).jpegEF270EEB-100C-47C5-B9D1-75B52C2AD7C9 (resized).jpeg
    73577BA6-3447-4F6C-9153-610249CF8D75 (resized).jpeg73577BA6-3447-4F6C-9153-610249CF8D75 (resized).jpeg

#78 6 years ago

Larry -

Will you be at the Allentown show? If so, will you have any handtrucks available there?

Chris

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

I took a royal dive down a flight of steps, drug by my Escalera and an aptly named pin, Wipeout. Something popped in the Escalera in mid lift, probably a shear key. I was drug down the carpeted stairs like a retarded superhero . My butt claps shut every time I walk by the thing, a highly unpleasant experience. I really should look into fixing and upgrading it. It worked fantastic before the dive.

Ouch! Did you figure out what broke?

I had that happen once when I leaned too far back to clear a basement bulkhead header. Pulled my shoulder out. Not fun.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Larry -
    Will you be at the Allentown show? If so, will you have any handtrucks available there?
    Chris

Not going to Allentown. Texas will be my third show in three weeks so after Texas its time to stay home for a bit.

Larry

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Ouch! Did you figure out what broke?

No, not yet. To be honest, I’ve avoided the thing ever since it happened. I’ve decided to upgrade the thing all at the same time I’m going to let my knees heal up a bit first.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

I took a royal dive down a flight of steps, drug by my Escalera and an aptly named pin, Wipeout. Something popped in the Escalera in mid lift, probably a shear key. I was drug down the carpeted stairs like a retarded superhero . My butt claps shut every time I walk by the thing, a highly unpleasant experience. I really should look into fixing and upgrading it. It worked fantastic before the dive.

Dude that sucks. I use mine to move pins and jukes, and the occasional safe with the fork lift attachment. I wouldn't want that shit happening with a safe. If you ever find out what happened please update us. Much appreciated.

#83 6 years ago

In all fairness to Escalera, I bought this one used from a guy who used it commercially. I have no idea of how this machine was treated or maintained. I’ve used it quite a bit and never had a bit of trouble with it. When this happened, I was on my third machine of the day and was three steps from the top of the carpeted stairwell. It was over in a flash, before I could even think of letting go of it. I thought I was going to have my underwear surgically removed from my crack, it was clenched pretty tight!

#84 6 years ago

I bought mine from Kitch and can't say how pleased I have been. I went with the 60" unit as well as the big tires, which work great over sidewalks, grass, everywhere I have used it. I've used it for a number of pinball machines and it most recently helped with moving. I brought a solid oak file cabinet, a few dressers, cabinets, end tables, etc. down two sets of stairs, a True Manufacturing fridge up one set, and so on. It is hard to get an idea, but I have included picture of a few items from our 3-floor split-level with a basement. A+ to Escalera and Kitch, who is fantastic to deal with. And although I've known him for years, he wouldn't sell me one until we talked so he knew exactly what would work for me.

Brad

20180304_143655.jpg20180304_143655.jpg

20180304_143708.jpg20180304_143708.jpg

#85 6 years ago

Powermate is my choice. I use it almost everyday and wouldn't move stuff without it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from JBK:

Powermate is my choice. I use it almost everyday and wouldn't move stuff without it.

Any hitch-based transport options?

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from JBK:

Looks to be considerable more expensive than the Escalera, might be worth it if you use it everyday though.

#88 6 years ago

I would also like to note that even with my average (or below average) strength, it is easy to move a machine with the built-in/standard wheels. But what is great about the big wheel attachment and often being outside is the pitch that it has to hold something at the angle while using the big wheels. I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but the image below shows how it sits when they are installed, so you aren't pulling up and it is already doing some work for you. It took me years to buy an Escalera and like many I regret not getting one sooner.

Brad

big_wheels.pngbig_wheels.png

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from JBK:

Looks like SunBelt rents the Powermates, might be a good choice for those that don't need to move games very often.

#90 6 years ago

How do you all transport these things? Just use them at home or for picking up games also?

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

How do you all transport these things? Just use them at home or for picking up games also?

I slide my LectroTruck next to the machine(s) I'm moving in an SUV or pickup truck.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from JBK:

The powermate uses the same concept that LectroTruck does . LectroTruck was the original that was released for sale in 1970. Escalara works differently.

The advantage Escalara has is that it can simulate a forklift. The others can not.

LectroTruck was the first one marketed to route operators at the MOA shows in Chicago. Before it became the AMOA show....

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I slide my LectroTruck next to the machine(s) I'm moving in an SUV or pickup truck.

Must be a huge SUV. I have a Land Cruiser, and there’s now way it could fit next to a game even if on it’s side.

#94 6 years ago

I bought the 66" version last year from Kitch after having a used one for many years. The previous version I had was the one with the forklift and I was tired of moving the forklift option around and never using it.

I try to use my escalera only at home, but I have had to move games/jukeboxes/pins from peoples house and it always fits right next to the game in my minivan.

I have also moved other things like furniture, etc.. with it and have never had a problem. I'm just glad I bought one since its hard to find someone to help you move stuff up and down stairs once you get a little older.

I use the escalera for stairs and use my northern tool hand truck with kickout when I move games using a box truck, etc..

#95 6 years ago

The Powermate is more expensive. I have a lift gate on my truck but the powermate goes everywhere still because of stairs. Its drawback is price and the solid wheels are not good on gravel or grass. If you have to move games up/down stairs it is my choice, hands down. Go to their website and watch the videos. If you have someplace to rent one, it might be the way to go. If you buy one you'll make lots of new friends that have stuff that needs moved.

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Must be a huge SUV. I have a Land Cruiser, and there’s now way it could fit next to a game even if on it’s side.

GMC Envoy extended.

#97 6 years ago

Escalera has been in business for 54 years now. Just talked to a dealer that has had his for 30 years.
    Weighs half as much as an Lectrotruck. Costs half as much and won’t pin you against the wall at a turn. Different designs so you decide what works best for you.

#98 6 years ago

I do own an Escalera ....... but if I had a choice, It would be an Electro truck. Only thing they are very expensive and almost double an Escalera

Powermate is expensive too and is very heavy

Escalera was a great machine at their price point.

Please remember that they can only handle a 10 inch step safely. The other two it does not matter. It’s a different system

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Please remember that they can only handle a 10 inch step safely. They other two it does not matter. It’s a different system

I wasn't aware of that. However, in more than a decade of Escalera ownership, I have never encountered a situation where the machine didn't perform for me. One time, over rocky terrain at a friends house in the mountains, my Escalera lifted a game over an odd shaped rock on one peg only.

For private collectors like myself, Escalera is the runaway choice IMO and I believe the Powermate and Electro Truck would be more for commercial operators.

#100 6 years ago

Well, I had my weekend overtime canceled, so I’m loading up to go to TPF. I’ll load up my EsKILLara and bring it along. I notice the drive belt has popped off and the climb drive chains are real loose. Perhaps the chains jumped the sprockets? I think this machine was abused by the previous (non Pinball) owner.

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-which-model-which-accessories/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.