1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jalpert
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FA39B315-F762-4C2E-9545-192E96D87EDE (resized).jpeg
    A65E3CBB-5414-4B54-8521-45EDF68EE922 (resized).jpeg
    A25D9584-A692-4848-B302-85091F2353FA (resized).jpeg
    7B450903-05A9-4976-8CB3-BC7B920EBAF7 (resized).jpeg
    F3437BE1-7B71-48C2-9C6D-B10E36A49ACE (resized).jpeg
    big_wheels.png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20180304_143708.jpg
    20180304_143655.jpg
    73577BA6-3447-4F6C-9153-610249CF8D75 (resized).jpeg
    EF270EEB-100C-47C5-B9D1-75B52C2AD7C9 (resized).jpeg
    B8CA0382-91BB-4585-BF84-747A1C47A1FB (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1260 (resized).JPG

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

I think I'm finally going to break down and get an Escalera. A few questions:

Is Escalera the best option for moving pins? I know there is another brand out there. Best option?

Assuming Escalera is the best, which model? Which accessories are important? Best vendor for purchasing new? Other tips?

#2 1 year ago

Call Larry at flipnout pinball and he can tell you exactly what you need based on what you are using it for.

#3 1 year ago

Think what you'll use it for on accessories.

Up and down in a van or truck - I'd consider the fork lift things or lift plate.

Over ground that isn't smooth - I'd go with the big wheels.

LTG : )

#4 1 year ago

Beat me to it. +1 for Larry.

#5 1 year ago

I personally chose the Lectro-Truck as they have always had a booth at the AMOA/ASI shows and they cut me a nice deal many years back.
    That said, Escalara is marketed nicely at a great price to Pinsiders. I would not hesitate to buy one from Larry K who will likely respond soon or will be recommended by others as well.

#6 1 year ago

What do these things cost anyways?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

What do these things cost anyways?

Less than surgery! They aren't cheap but if you are moving multiple pins up/down stairs it's worth it.

#8 1 year ago

Yep you need to call me. I generally spend 15 to 30 minutes understanding your situation. Then based on what people tell me I can make a recommendation of what you need.
    I know it seems like you should just buy an Escalera but since we custom build many orders with different accessories and heights, etc. I like to give everyone the benefit of my experience of moving pins and pretty much anything else heavy that goes up or down stairs.

Larry@flipnoutpinball.com

#9 1 year ago

Assuming I get the regular stair-climber, not the forklift, is there a way to carry it from a trailer hitch?

#10 1 year ago

Ms66 with big wheel attachment.

Larry's your man.

#11 1 year ago

I have the big wheel attachment and the lift and I can move and setup a machine solo no problem. Highly recommended

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Larry's your man.

What about the big toe plate extension?

Retractable load support?

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Assuming I get the regular stair-climber, not the forklift, is there a way to carry it from a trailer hitch?

I don't know of anything that will let you do that. With the RLA-HC forklift model you can use the LH-3 Lift Hitch accessory to carry it on the back of your vehicle.

#14 1 year ago

Make sure that the length you choose fits in your vehicle. I used one once and wanted to leave the game strapped to it laying down in the back, but the Escalera was a little to long to let me close the hatch. I've also used a shorter one that works fine.

#15 1 year ago

It's an expensive purchase, but worth it if you deal with stairs. If I had to do it again, for just pinball I would get the 60" model. I got the 66" and it's a little bigger and heavier than needed. My friend has the shorter one which is more manageable on tight stairs and is also faster.

For accessories, definitely get the big wheel attachment. With it you can roll over grass easily and the load balances perfectly so it's weightless when pushing it around. I debated getting the retractable load support and didn't, but if you mainly use it indoors on flat surfaces I could see it coming in handy as the big wheels are a pain indoors. As for the big toe plate, save the money as I've never used it for pins and it is very heavy. Instead I am really glad I added the magnum crossbar as it makes it much easier to grab when going up/down stairs, and a belt strap. In fact, I wish I had sprung for two as they work well to snug the load up.

I hope that helps.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

Yep you need to call me. I generally spend 15 to 30 minutes understanding your situation. Then based on what people tell me I can make a recommendation of what you need.
    I know it seems like you should just buy an Escalera but since we custom build many orders with different accessories and heights, etc. I like to give everyone the benefit of my experience of moving pins and pretty much anything else heavy that goes up or down stairs.

Give Larry a call at 847-778-4876

#17 1 year ago

I have an M60, glad I do because Im only 5'5". Big wheel is a must but one other option Im considering picking up is the longer foot plate.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Just call Larry. I chatted with him and bought a nice package... he’ll answer all of your questions!

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Larry's your man.

THIS

#20 1 year ago

dangggggg, I've not seen the forklift before, that is one sweet machine. Me like, me want

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Call Larry at flipnout pinball and he can tell you exactly what you need based on what you are using it for.

Agree just give Larry a call! Great guy! Let us know what you end up getting!

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Russell:

All the accessories are great, wish I had them all, but for me the big wheel is first and most needed.

#23 1 year ago

I am not usually on the same page with everyone else, but in this case I will concur and say touch base with Larry/Kitch, he'll take care of you. I've known him for nearly two decades, he is as good and honest as it gets. Even being as cheap as I am I eventually bought an Escalera from him and only wished I had done it sooner. Good luck!

Brad

#24 1 year ago

I have owned both the Escalera with forklift and a Power Mate. The Escalera was much heavier at 168lbs and harder to maneuver on stairs. I also damaged a new floor in a new home with it (The chain driven lift is very close to the floor). We moved 6 pins with it and sold it to buy a Power Mate. The Power Mate will also load a game in the back of a pick-up with no problem. I would check all options that are available to you.

#25 1 year ago

How much clearance do you need to use one? The top of my stairs open up into a hallway so there is only 36" from the door to the hallway wall...and it is only a 32" doorway. So I wonder if one would work. Right now, I have to move heavy stuff by going around my house (walkout basement). Here the challenge is a series of stepping stones set into the slope. The issue with this is that the stones are different widths with some less than 24" and they are variably spaced. Would an escalera be able to handle that?

#27 1 year ago

I own an MS-1-66, big set of wheel, big toe plate. It lifts 1200 lbs.

The big wheels work great on gravel and grass. The wheels also work well as a fulcrum to balance the load.
    The big toe I have not seen a great use with as pins/vids and boilers* don't need it.

Yep, moved a 600lb boiler down the stairs last week with mine. Scary shit. But it does its job. Love it.

The only issue I have seen is that it would be nice if you could lock the wheels from moving when going up and down stairs. The issue is when you have tall items and are leaning way back to center the load or clear a bulkhead threshold, the freewheeling wheels can/will shoot forward if your lifting feet lose traction and you can end up pulling your shoulder out of socket trying to stop it from flying down the stairs. Talking from experience, one case of tendonitis and a cortisone shot later.

Escalera used to make a braking kit but I can not find it reference anymore. I am planning on drilling a hole through my wheels/frame to be able to insert locking pins.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

I own an MS-1-66, big set of wheel, big toe plate. It lifts 1200 lbs.
    The big wheels work great on gravel and grass. The wheels also work well as a fulcrum to balance the load.
    The big toe I have not seen a great use with as pins/vids and boilers* don't need it.
    Yep, moved a 600lb boiler down the stairs last week with mine. Scary shit. But it does its job. Love it.
    The only issue I have seen is that it would be nice if you could lock the wheels from moving when going up and down stairs. The issue is when you have tall items and are leaning way back to center the load or clear a bulkhead threshold, the freewheeling wheels can/will shoot forward if your lifting feet lose traction and you can end up pulling your shoulder out of socket trying to stop it from flying down the stairs. Talking from experience, one case of tendonitis and a cortisone shot later.
    Escalera used to make a braking kit but I can not find it reference anymore. I am planning on drilling a hole through my wheels/frame to be able to insert locking pins.

The brake kit is called SED-1 Step Edge Detection. It applies a brake to the wheel once the wheels get 2 inches from the edge of the step.

If you need to keep the Escalera from rolling while sitting just move the lifting wheels down until they just touch the ground and that will keep it from rolling.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from 6T9Judge:

I have owned both the Escalera with forklift and a Power Mate. The Escalera was much heavier at 168lbs and harder to maneuver on stairs. I also damaged a new floor in a new home with it (The chain driven lift is very close to the floor). We moved 6 pins with it and sold it to buy a Power Mate. The Power Mate will also load a game in the back of a pick-up with no problem. I would check all options that are available to you.

The forklift model does weigh 181 lbs but its removable so now your hand truck only weighs 66 lbs. All the weight is in the forklift assembly. If you had the non removable model at 168lbs. (which I don't recommend unless in an industrial environment) then I can see why you found it harder to maneuver. I almost never use the forklift while on stairs. I just use it to lift heavy objects up and down then I remove it until I need it again. Best of both worlds IMHO.
    As far as damaging the floor with the chain it should never happen as the wheels keep it from touching. Unless you went over a threshold with one wheel on one side and the other on the other side then the high part of the threshold could rub on the chain. Only scenario I can think where it might happen. Answer is just to go over it straight.

Others brands have been mentioned but typically the Escalera is much cheaper and lighter than the competitors. There is no perfect solution for every scenario that I have run into but for moving games up and down stairs the Escalera is answer. But I'm biased.

Again if anyone has any questions just call me. I don't have to sell you one to answer questions. All part of my job.

#30 1 year ago

Purchased mine from Larry three years ago after having two surgeries. Went with the 66", big wheel kit, second strap (great for WPC style) and the grab handle. Over 60 machines moved with her and no issues at all. Only regret is I didn't purchase one sooner.

#31 1 year ago

I just bought an escalera from Larry at the Expo. I bought the model with the removable forklift and got the removable big wheels and the plate that goes on the forks. I’m waiting for delivery but am looking forward to getting it. I was sold after watching the videos and seeing it in person at Expo. Call Larry, he’ll answer all of your questions.

John

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I think I'm finally going to break down and get an Escalera. A few questions:
    Is Escalera the best option for moving pins? I know there is another brand out there. Best option?
    Assuming Escalera is the best, which model? Which accessories are important? Best vendor for purchasing new? Other tips?

And I forgot to answer your questions, I have the 60" model with the big wheels. The wheels are nice as others have mentioned for moving machines (or other items) once outside the house and going over various terrain. The 60" model worked best for my needs in terms of managing it based on my size, type of stairs, etc. I have been very happy and only regret not buying one sooner.

Brad

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

The brake kit is called SED-1 Step Edge Detection. It applies a brake to the wheel once the wheels get 2 inches from the edge of the step.
    If you need to keep the Escalera from rolling while sitting just move the lifting wheels down until they just touch the ground and that will keep it from rolling.

Larry YDM! I saw that once, but never found it again. I may be sending you an accessory order.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

The 60" model worked best for my needs in terms of managing it based on my size, type of stairs, etc. I have been very happy and only regret not buying one sooner.
    Brad

You should have had one of these when we moved all those heavy Atari Vectors out of your house years ago!!!

I have the 66" model with a extra strap and the big wheels. Could not imagine not having one now. If you are buying thousand dollar pinballs, this is just a cheap expense that will save you in the long run. On my 2nd escalera, and bought mine new from Larry. Can't go wrong buying from him!!

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

How much clearance do you need to use one? The top of my stairs open up into a hallway so there is only 36" from the door to the hallway wall...and it is only a 32" doorway. So I wonder if one would work.

Anyone know the answer to this...and does it vary if it is a widebody?

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Anyone know the answer to this...and does it vary if it is a widebody?

This is my usual answer. If you are using a hand truck to move a pin now you can use an Escalera.

But here are the dimensions of an Escalera. The toe plate is 24 inches wide. The distance from the back of the wheel to the front part of the frame that a game would be resting against is about 7 inches. So add the 7 inches to the dimension of a folded up pin and that will tell you if it will fit. The door obviously to the stairway would be open so you only need to get the Escalera on to the landing and you can start the turn. Or you may have to set it down and spin it on something so as to not scratch the floor.
    Widebody pins would probably not make any difference as the head of any pin in the widest part, not the body. The head is about 27-29 inches depending on manufacturer so they can fit through any exterior doorway.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I bought model RLA-EW, mainly since you can take off the forks unlike other models. The forks add a lot of weight.
    if all your ever moving is pins you could probably just get the one without the forks, but It's nice to have the option.
    I also added the retractable load support
    and a one more auto rewind safety straps for a total of 2.
    I was unable to get three straps for some reason, think because of the model... regardless two is more then enough.

the accessories I got are the
    padded rest
    ***big wheel attachment, which is a must***
    adjustable lift hitch. to attach to your truck or suv.
    removable steel platform
    swivel castor attachment.

it definitely has become an invaluable part of my operation, especially if your doing it by yourself. takes a bit of getting used to since it's a lot heavier then your average dolly.

#38 1 year ago

2nd strap is a must, the big wheel didn't work for me well going through grass and bumpy lawns, so i sold those. you can lose the load sidweays using those big wheel attach. balloon air filled tires on dollies dont work well with heavy loads for me anyways.
    make sure you get kick back wheels though.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from brmorr:

You should have had one of these when we moved all those heavy Atari Vectors out of your house years ago!!!
    I have the 66" model with a extra strap and the big wheels. Could not imagine not having one now. If you are buying thousand dollar pinballs, this is just a cheap expense that will save you in the long run. On my 2nd escalera, and bought mine new from Larry. Can't go wrong buying from him!!

Yes, hindsight is 20/20 and even as cheap as I am I would have bought an Escalera years earlier if I would have realized the ROI they have!

Brad

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

does it vary if it is a widebody?

Williams DMD era pins have same width head on narrow and wide body pins. the head is always the widest part.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

the head is always the widest part.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

2nd strap is a must, the big wheel didn't work for me well going through grass and bumpy lawns, so i sold those. you can lose the load sidweays using those big wheel attach. balloon air filled tires on dollies dont work well with heavy loads for me anyways.
    make sure you get kick back wheels though.

The Big Wheel Attachment (BWA-1) is no longer supplied with pneumatic tires. Escalera changed that several years ago and the tires are now a hard rubber with no air needed. This eliminates any issues with one tire being lower than the other and causing it to lean to one side with a heavy load. Without the BWA-1 attachment I'm not sure how you can go through grass without them.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

This is my usual answer. If you are using a hand truck to move a pin now you can use an Escalera.
    But here are the dimensions of an Escalera. The toe plate is 24 inches wide. The distance from the back of the wheel to the front part of the frame that a game would be resting against is about 7 inches. So add the 7 inches to the dimension of a folded up pin and that will tell you if it will fit. The door obviously to the stairway would be open so you only need to get the Escalera on to the landing and you can start the turn. Or you may have to set it down and spin it on something so as to not scratch the floor.
    Widebody pins would probably not make any difference as the head of any pin in the widest part, not the body. The head is about 27-29 inches depending on manufacturer so they can fit through any exterior doorway.

Thanks. I guess part of the problem is that I don't know if I could move them in that space with a regular hand truck. Right now, I carry stuff around the side of the yard to the basement. However, it is challenging in that there is a significant elevation gain and a handful of stepping stones, which act like stair steps to take up the steepest part of the slope. Then once I get to ground level, I have lots of plants and posts and rocks to navigate. God help me if I should step on a plant. It seems like it would be a whole lot simpler if I could use the stairs. Maybe someone else has experience navigating stairs with this limitation?

#44 1 year ago

Oldgoat, you might have to remove the back box, that might give you enough clearance to maneuver.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Thanks. I guess part of the problem is that I don't know if I could move them in that space with a regular hand truck. Right now, I carry stuff around the side of the yard to the basement. However, it is challenging in that there is a significant elevation gain and a handful of stepping stones, which act like stair steps to take up the steepest part of the slope. Then once I get to ground level, I have lots of plants and posts and rocks to navigate. God help me if I should step on a plant. It seems like it would be a whole lot simpler if I could use the stairs. Maybe someone else has experience navigating stairs with this limitation?

If you have 36 inches I'm sure I could do it by standing the game straight up attached to the hand truck and then spinning it the 90 degrees to align it with the stairs and then carefully break the load back while slipping in behind it. As you move the game to the edge it will basically be hanging over the edge (2 inches from the edge is perfect) with you behind it and then push the button to start walking it down the stairs. A little tricky getting started but then its easy. First step is always the hardest right? LOL

#46 1 year ago

Thanks...so it sounds like it would be doable. Need to cogitate on this a bit.

#47 1 year ago

I got the MS-60 with the big wheel attachment, orbit handle bars and the brake system to prevent rolling down the next step as you descend. Since I am only using it to move pins, not Coke machines, the 60 inch is perfect. The MS-66 might give you problems negotiating tight corners at the top and bottom of stairs.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

The Big Wheel Attachment (BWA-1) is no longer supplied with pneumatic tires. Escalera changed that several years ago and the tires are now a hard rubber with no air needed. This eliminates any issues with one tire being lower than the other and causing it to lean to one side with a heavy load. Without the BWA-1 attachment I'm not sure how you can go through grass without them.

thx for the heads up on that.

#49 1 year ago

If this was an infomercial I'd be fumbling with my wallet and my phone resting on my shoulder.

Larry was recommended highly before I even got to this thread . What is the delivery time ballpark once you have your order and your options in place. Distance is about 850-900
    Miles .

#50 1 year ago

Somebody on CL is selling one for $2k with the big wheel. Is this a good price? Let's assume it's in good working condition - but I have no idea what a reasonable value is

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.99
    Playfield - Protection
    Lee's Parts
    € 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 134.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 299.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside