(Topic ID: 323222)

Escalera Safety

By TheBeefSupreme

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0CCC5250-DAE9-4174-ABBE-8BB2A7AB1D20 (resized).png
    C5BE1752-C7F0-4685-85A2-A135DC27E1B8 (resized).png
    EC98FD70-F117-40E4-AC8B-36BCE6E57BC4 (resized).png
    F64EF984-C7CD-4CC6-BEF7-92D29F6EBD50 (resized).jpeg
    1141FF13-10ED-4FCB-8D04-B813D1909382 (resized).jpeg
    5095F5A7-DEC6-4792-B389-D2C85D6EF957 (resized).jpeg
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Holy crap, I have moved a ton of games in and out of my house and never had issue. I was just bringing one out for a trade and disaster struck. Sometimes my escalera pulls forward a bit to be at the right angle but I always can lean back to anchor it. This morning it pulled a bit too much and my balance wasn’t right. The game tipped back down the stairs and flung me over top of it.

My wife and son were at the bottom but thank goodness I always make sure they are to the side and the stairs are clear.

I don’t think I broke anything but I’m cut and bruised up pretty bad.

Anyone have ways they better anchor themselves when using their escalera? I definitely don’t want that happening again.

In somewhat surprising news. The game appears to be completely fine.

#2 1 year ago

The same thing happened to me once. Luckily I was just on the first step but it tipped back pulling me over the game. I'm way more careful about pulling it lower now when using it.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from stepside:

The same thing happened to me once. Luckily I was just on the first step but it tipped back pulling me over the game. I'm way more careful about pulling it lower now when using it.

Lower as in you lean back more or sit back on the steps?

#4 1 year ago

I’m 6’2 and it’s awkward for me to lean hunched over and hold on to the stair climber when going down a set of stairs so after the first step or two I always sit down on the step and take it down moving myself down as I go.

#5 1 year ago

YouTube gold if it was filmed

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

Holy crap, I have moved a ton of games in and out of my house and never had issue. I was just bringing one out for a trade and disaster struck. Sometimes my escalera pulls forward a bit to be at the right angle but I always can lean back to anchor it. This morning it pulled a bit too much and my balance wasn’t right. The game tipped back down the stairs and flung me over top of it.
    My wife and son were at the bottom but thank goodness I always make sure they are to the side and the stairs are clear.
    I don’t think I broke anything but I’m cut and bruised up pretty bad.
    Anyone have ways they better anchor themselves when using their escalera? I definitely don’t want that happening again.
    In somewhat surprising news. The game appears to be completely fine.

Yikes. Were you going up or down?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from thekaiser82:

Yikes. Were you going up or down?

Ha was going up. I unpacked the game and set it up and amazingly there is only one little mark on the bottom-back right of the head but nothing else. Still plays perfectly and no errors. Could have been much worse for me and the game.

#8 1 year ago

I always overbalance on my escala going upstairs I'm pushing down on the handles while basically holding them up stiff armed I also have an assistant coming up the stairs behind me and they have their palms of their hands flat on the back box and I mentioned to them about the overbalance and how just to make sure that it doesn't push up and over

#9 1 year ago

I think just making sure you're balanced and in proper position before hitting each step is all that's required, but I feel you - I definitely don't like that balance shift climbing each step...

Makes me want to rig up a strap or something to the railing on my stairs to help prevent losing control up and over like that, not sure if that could work, probably not.

#10 1 year ago

Glad you are Okay.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

Makes me want to rig up a strap or something to the railing on my stairs

So when you get thrown head over heals over the game and down the stairs. Here comes the railing torn off the wall to clobber you too.

When you do this. Please video tape it and put it on Youtube later.

LTG : )

#12 1 year ago

Yeah pretty sure the rail would break off. I know some guys here get off on YouTube injury videos or whatever but it was pretty scary. I can take a hit and I would probably laugh more about it if it wasn’t a close call where it could have potentially killed my two year old son. Can’t help but think what if I hadn’t put him aside or if he followed me. That shakes you up a bit. I’m a pretty big dude at 6’2” 240 lbs and I would consider myself to be pretty darn strong. I’ve moved pins a ton in the same way and in an instant this just went completely wrong. This wasn’t even the first pin I had brought up that day.

I guess I was just sharing a tale of caution and seeing if there were any little tricks people did to be extra safe. Will be more careful in the future.

#13 1 year ago

Did it look like this?

#14 1 year ago

holy crap! man, i'm glad you're ok!! i'm cringing just thinking about the idea of being flipped over the machine and having it fall over on top of me. i don't trust those things at all. i had a friend loan me one once, and before i moved the machine even a few feet, i tossed it to the side and did it the old fashioned way. all the risk negates all the benefits IMO.

#15 1 year ago

Yes, great no hospital visit. Still not clear how this happened. Were you higher on the stairs than the game? Holding top of dolly, which pulled you down with it when it went?

I was moving a game on a four wheel dolly once when it tipped and took out my nice TV. I'm skinny, so I didn't even try to save it once I saw it tipping. TV was destroyed, game was hardly scratched. Sounds like you didn't get a chance to decide.

#16 1 year ago

For me, I go really slow when first engaging the stair tread, making sure I have proper balance established. Only time it's been 'close' for me is when I go too fast during that phase.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from tatman9999:

Did it look like this?

Ha that one is wild. I didn’t get any airtime on this one. Just the machine tipped forward and I kinda rolled over it. It started coin door up and just rolled back to be coin door down. I ended on top of it.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Yes, great no hospital visit. Still not clear how this happened. Were you higher on the stairs than the game? Holding top of dolly, which pulled you down with it when it went?
    I was moving a game on a four wheel dolly once when it tipped and took out my nice TV. I'm skinny, so I didn't even try to save it once I saw it tipping. TV was destroyed, game was hardly scratched. Sounds like you didn't get a chance to decide.

I have no clue what I did. I think I had done it so many times that I was probably just distracted and thinking about something else. There is normally a little adjustment it does to align with the track and I think without being set right I just wasn’t quite ready to counter balance.

#19 1 year ago

Holy crap. Glad you are ok. My stairs are shallow and I’ve had a couple of close calls while I was underneath pushing it up and the other guy was manning the escalera. Never again. Not worth the risk.

#20 1 year ago

Dude. If you're 6'2, 240lbs and strong, you don't need a a damn Escalera. You don't even need a dolly. Throw it on yer shoulder and dance up those stairs like the bad boy you are.

#21 1 year ago

No tips but I feel ya. I was moving a doublestack washer and dryer down the stairs with a friend below guiding and a miscommunication cause the hand truck to suddenly keep going after the 3rd or 4th stair down. That thing took off so damn fast- straight down the last 10 steps in under a second.. my friend reacted ridiculously quick and was able to backup and somehow get around the corner before the machine. It slammed into floor and 100mph and after a second we both just started cracking up. Had he not been so quick.. def not laughing anymore, it woulda been a hospital trip at best to a Hearst at worst.

Heavy shit going up and down stairs is no joke. I hate moving pins up and down, yet still have to do it.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Dude. If you're 6'2, 240lbs and strong, you don't need a a damn Escalera. You don't even need a dolly. Throw it on yer shoulder and dance up those stairs like the bad boy you are.

Perhaps you’re right. I did move games with just a dolly for a while but it’s 16 stairs out so I figured I should have a better long term strategy to preserve my back. Looks like today that plan didn’t work out.

#23 1 year ago

I’ve never had even a close call with mine. Glad you’re ok! It’s all about the angle with the Escalera. Going up is usually easier than down for me.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

I don’t think I broke anything

You must be young. Enjoy it while it lasts. This would have probably killed me and half of the pinsiders on this forum.

#25 1 year ago

I have a long straight set of stairs I have to move all my games up and down. The eski is worth it’s weight in gold, but position is key. Going up, I’ve never had any trouble. Going downstairs (especially the first couple stairs), that I’ve had a few less than smooth moments. Certainly nothing like you describe. Very happy to hear no one was injured. Always make sure to slowly roll right up to the edge of the stair, confirm the game is square with the edge and the wheel is right up to the edge, then engage the left, the angle should be such that the bumpers on the eski bump the stair and softly lower the wheels to the next step. Again, angle is key. It can’t be too high or low of an angle or you’ll have issues. Going up it’s basically just making sure you are square before engaging with the bumpers resting against the next stair. I always pause briefly to confirm I’m ready before the next engagement of the lift mechs.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not true. I’m a strong guy, definitely moved plenty of pins up and down stairs w/o and eski. I remember pulling a Dale Jr up my 15 stairs on a standard appliance dolly. Something about that cabinet was insanely heavy. Work smarter, not harder.

#27 1 year ago

+1 for sitting down while moving up a large flight up steps.

#28 1 year ago

This will happen when you don't have the Escalara leaned back far enough when you you engage the step. The fulcrum point changes when the foot engages the step, and you need to have it balanced back toward the step to compensate. It's always a bit of a butt pucker moment when I use mine.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

Not true. I’m a strong guy, definitely moved plenty of pins up and down stairs w/o and eski. I remember pulling a Dale Jr up my 15 stairs on a standard appliance dolly. Something about that cabinet was insanely heavy. Work smarter, not harder.

"My child those were my footprints carrying you"
    --Dale Sr

#30 1 year ago

Man, that’s crazy. Glad you and your family are okay!

#31 1 year ago

No idea how you managed that going up. I find it much easier, but I basically brace with my feet and move my ass up one step at a time as the game moves up the stairs. It's going down that things get hectic and it does take a bit of practice to know what angle to tip it when you're hitting that first step. Once you get going you get the hang of it and get into a rhythm.

Still better than a hernia.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

No idea how you managed that going up. I find it much easier, but I basically brace with my feet and move my ass up one step at a time as the game moves up the stairs. It's going down that things get hectic and it does take a bit of practice to know what angle to tip it when you're hitting that first step. Once you get going you get the hang of it and get into a rhythm.
    Still better than a hernia.

So you sit as you come up the stairs?

#33 1 year ago

I had a similar, but less serious, experience going down the stairs with a game where the weight shifted it forward (I don't know if it got caught on the lip of a stair or not). Once it gets past a certain balance point, it is near impossible for one person to tilt it back. I was only a few stairs from the bottom and instinctively had one hand grabbing the Escalera and one holding the railing to prevent myself from falling. Once I realized I valued my shoulder more than the game, I had to let it go and it went forward down two stairs. It put a nice hole in my drywall, but the game was undamaged.

Ever since, I don't use the automatic feature to go down stairs--only up. I find that I can use it more safely going down stairs as a regular dolly. With that being said, I don't move games alone anymore. If I had a person below the game, I would have been able to right it. I have moved probably 10 games down and 5 games up the stairs without incident. It is important when going up stairs to make sure you keep it around a 45 degree angle and go one step at a time, moving the escalera to the back of each stair in between steps before using the lift feature.

#34 1 year ago

It’s unfortunate that this happened. I’m glad no one was injured. I’ve been using mine for at least 10 years with out injury or incident….knock on wood. It’s honestly all about the correct balance point and angle as others have mentioned. There is a learning curve for sure. I tend to sit down going up and down as it helps me to keep the correct balance point. Also, no hunching forward. If you find the right point it takes zero effort. I even stopped halfway and taken some calls. Lol. Probably not a good idea. Anyway, accidents can happen to anyone at anytime. It was very smart of you not to have anyone on the low side. There is a warning label on mine that states just that.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from thekaiser82:

So you sit as you come up the stairs?

Yep. Really guarantees that getting launched over your game or dropping it never happens. If it slips off the step for whatever reason, I'm braced against the stairs with my feet and butt a couple steps up and can keep it from going any lower than a one-step drop. I may look like an asshole doing it, but it feels really stable and I haven't had an incident yet.

#37 1 year ago

I also have an escalera.
    Two things. I always get extremely low(my body) and almost as if your sitting on the stairs as you go up. Do this on each stair, and each stair as you go up, the escalera naturally pulls you forward for a split second. If the machine’s center of gravity is too forward when you initially start up a stair it can be a problem. But you’re a bigger guy like me but I’m not quite as tall though. I’m about 6’0’ 220. So… I think the number one problem why people flip over is simple. It’s usually not paying attention or rushing a little bit(this is very common when moving multiple machines because the more tired you get, you forget to start out with your body in a lower position on each stair AND brace yourself with your core for that split second on each stair when the machine jerks you a little forward.

Glad you came out okay though. I know it feels counterintuitive but if that game starts to pull too far forward where you can’t control it, you’ve gotta let the machine strapped to the escalera flip down the stairs. The machine and your walls may take a hit but you won’t!

#38 1 year ago

ESCUELA SAFETY

#39 1 year ago

Really glad your child wasn't hurt and that you are ok. Appreciate you sharing because it reminds us to work safely - I'm listening so thanks!

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement Type 1 sound board for Williams 3-6 games

#40 1 year ago

One word of caution on older homes is to also check condition of stairs and associated supports before moving heavy equipment.
    Some older homes may have cracked wood or compromised support on stairs.
    You have 2 people,game and dolly navigating 100+year old stairs.

#41 1 year ago

Good thread, my only O SHIT moment was at the top of the landing of my steps. Its too tight for me to turn a game with the dolly strapped to it, so I need to put it down on something, rotate it, and then strap it back to the dolly. The blanket I used to protect my floor got wrapped up on the wheel 2 steps down. Fortunately I was able to back back out to remove the blanket.

Anyways, to your point I can see that easily happening. When going down the right angle is critical. Being tall myself (6'4) I also am damn near sitting on the step to keep a proper angle. Going up seems way easier.

#42 1 year ago

These days, my present home is ground level on slab so all I have to contend with is rolling over a doorway weather seal. One of the reasons I purchased this house.

But I kept my escalera because it has so many other uses especially with the big wheels and toe attachment.

My safety tip for Escalera comes from a friend of mine who I had loaned it to after he bought my Fathom.

He was tired after moving several machines into his basement and decided to leave the Fathom for last and move it the next morning. With Fathom sitting in his garage, the last thing he did before shutting the light off, was to slide the escalera under the game, in standing position, ready for the next day.

The next morning, anxious to get to it, he grabs the top handles of the escalera with both both hands and threw his weight into tilting the machine backward into hauling position.

The game raised up, tilted away from him and then fell forward crashing onto the concrete. He just stood there watching helpless with the escalera still in his grip. - He had forgotten to secure the game with the seatbelt around it.

Only lost the back glass which he was able to replace from another friend and some minor cabinet head repair.

Lets be careful out there.

#43 1 year ago

A couple guys around me all the have same stair climbing dolly. Not escalera but brand escapes me. Even though it says "no one under the load" everyone with that dolly always has a bottom person to watch the steps, specially if dark, and to more importantly be there to if it catches the lip of of step and wants to tip over down the steps. Very easy for the bottom person to tilt the game back safely where the center of gravity is. The "no one on the bottom" warning is a probably a liability message for idiots. Pins might be different than a safe too.

Quoted from pinballplusMN:

One word of caution on older homes is to also check condition of stairs and associated supports before moving heavy equipment.
    Some older homes may have cracked wood or compromised support on stairs.
    You have 2 people,game and dolly navigating 100+year old stairs.

Yes this! The steps to my basement is two long angled wood beams with notches cut to hold the steps. The two beams where bowed out in the middle to the point some of steps where starting hang on by small lip. My dad had some really huge clamps, pulled the steps back together and reinforced with 2x4s to hold them together. Also reinforced the step boards for good measure. I am glad I noticed one day they where pulling apart. Might be the really heavy pins banging up and down the steps helped pull them apart.

#44 1 year ago

I love my Escalera, but it is easy to get yourself into a bad spot if you don't know the potential problems.

The handles will try to pull away from you, trying to pull you into the dolly, at varying degrees of strength depending on what stage you are in for the stair climb. It is not a constant pull, you need to adjusting the balance of the dolly.

When going up stairs the most pull is right when it starts to climb new step.

When going down stairs the most pull is right before it gets to the top of the next stair.

The worst is on steep stairways when you can't lean the cart back enough to get it to balance. The very steep Bilco style doors that go into basements are the worst, some of those can almost be as steep as a ladder.

Going down one of those steep stairways is where I got as close to being thrown over the top like the OP. I was moving an ~550 lbs cast iron furnace down into a basement. The first two steps were fine, I was still on the ground and the cart had not yet gotten almost vertical as I went down the step stairs. The problem came when the cart was going towards vertical going down the steep stairs, I just did not have the weight to keep it from tipping forward. It was not a strength issue, it was a how much weight could I push down the handles because I could not tip it back enough to balance it. Luckily I had a helper to add his weight and we made it down, but without him I would have flipped over the cart, let it go or maybe if I was lucky try to reverse direction before I totally lost control.

It is like being on a teeter totter. It is not about strength, it is a weight issue when you get onto steep stairs.

#45 1 year ago

Glad you are ok! That's not fun at all.

Escaleras are great and while they do make moving pinball machines easy to use they can also be dangerous to operate if you lose the balance point. Going downstairs with a game using an Escalera still makes me nervous. My tips, wear shoes + retie them to get a good grip, when going down the stairs have one or both legs slightly angled to the side on steps (almost acts as a brace versus being straight ahead), and above all take your time. Once I get downstairs with a game I have a beer as a bit of a victory celebration lol.

#46 1 year ago

Having someone below can be helpful, but it can also be a disaster if they don't know what they are doing.

I had a person at the bottom of the stairs push too much vertically instead of at the same angle as the stairs. He lifted the game up and off of the foot of the dolly so that I was only holding the weight of the dolly and could not help him at all, the game was sliding forward, over the foot of the dolly, and off of the dolly at that point. The game was strapped onto the dolly, but only at the top, it still lifted up enough at the bottom to hop over the dolly foot.

This a problem regardless of type of cart you are using.

If you are going to have someone helping you at the bottom of the stairs, you must put a strap around the bottom edge of the item being moved, very close to the foot of the dolly to keep it from being lifted off by the person at the bottom. A single strap near the middle or the top is not enough.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from mg81:

Having someone below can be helpful, but it can also be a disaster if they don't know what they are doing.
    I had a person at the bottom of the stairs push too much vertically instead of at the same angle as the stairs. He lifted the game up and off of the foot of the dolly so that I was only holding the weight of the dolly and could not help him at all, the game was sliding forward, over the foot of the dolly, and off of the dolly at that point. The game was strapped onto the dolly, but only at the top, it still lifted up enough at the bottom to hop over the dolly foot.
    This a problem regardless of type of cart you are using.
    If you are going to have someone helping you at the bottom of the stairs, you must put a strap around the bottom edge of the item being moved, very close to the foot of the dolly to keep it from being lifted off by the person at the bottom. A single strap near the middle or the top is not enough.

bottom person shouldnt put any force on the game unless it starts to tilt towards them. Basically there to save if the center of gravity starts tipping down the steps, it is a lot easier for the bottom person to correct then a person on the dolly bar. That and to spot steps "you went too far." "that's good"

I have some LED tape running the basement stairs near your feet. Being able to see clearly is critical too. We had to get a bunch of games out of a dark basement staircase and it was tough just because you couldn't see well.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

5095F5A7-DEC6-4792-B389-D2C85D6EF957 (resized).jpeg5095F5A7-DEC6-4792-B389-D2C85D6EF957 (resized).jpeg

Do you have the 60 or 66? If you are taller and have the 60 I could see how it would be hard to keep it balanced when using. I have the 66 and it is easier to keep it balanced when going up/down on stairs. Dad has the 60 and it is harder to keep it balanced.

#49 1 year ago

On a good note. The game had almost zero impact at all. Plays completely perfect and I even put up some high scores last night. The only thing was this little ding to the decal. It would be fitting that the game that so frequently beat the crap out of me would rough me up one last time.

1141FF13-10ED-4FCB-8D04-B813D1909382 (resized).jpeg1141FF13-10ED-4FCB-8D04-B813D1909382 (resized).jpegF64EF984-C7CD-4CC6-BEF7-92D29F6EBD50 (resized).jpegF64EF984-C7CD-4CC6-BEF7-92D29F6EBD50 (resized).jpeg
    #50 1 year ago

Before I learned the tipping/balance point for my Escalera, I was moving a TZ up a flight of stairs and leaned it too far backwards in an attempt to compensate for it pulling me forward. (It would not have been too far for a normal dolly which I was used to but I learned the Escalera operates differently.)

Leaned back with no typical dolly stair crawlers to catch against the step, it took off down the stairs like a toboggin and I about tore my legs out of their sockets trying not to get dragged all the way down with it. There was no stopping it once it got going! Fortunately, no damage to TZ but I had leg and knee pain for a week or two afterward. I'm grateful for my Escalera when I need it, but confess I don't really like it and will avoid using it if I can get a helper.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-safety?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.