(Topic ID: 323222)

Escalera Safety

By TheBeefSupreme

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0CCC5250-DAE9-4174-ABBE-8BB2A7AB1D20 (resized).png
    C5BE1752-C7F0-4685-85A2-A135DC27E1B8 (resized).png
    EC98FD70-F117-40E4-AC8B-36BCE6E57BC4 (resized).png
    F64EF984-C7CD-4CC6-BEF7-92D29F6EBD50 (resized).jpeg
    1141FF13-10ED-4FCB-8D04-B813D1909382 (resized).jpeg
    5095F5A7-DEC6-4792-B389-D2C85D6EF957 (resized).jpeg
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

I had the same issue as sbmania a few years but I didn’t/wouldn’t let go of the game. I was on the last step at the top of the run and pushed the game down too far and it hit the step rollers on the back of the escalera and pulled my fat ass down the stairs. The game made it all the way down then turned a little bit and wedged itself on the last step from the bottom. Had to get the neighbor over to unwedge the game and back up the stairs. I was sore for a week after that no damage to the game at all. Put a few holes in the wall when it wedged itself. I make sure I have a spotter now going up or down.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

Lower as in you lean back more or sit back on the steps?

Lean it further back and sit on the steps

#53 1 year ago

So glad you and the family are okay @thebeefsupreme!

When people order an Escalera from us we encourage people to practice, practice, practice. It’s a learning curve, but once you have the practice down, it’s like riding a bike and difficult to forget how to use the handtruck.

It’s never about strength, it’s all in changes to weight distribution and balance. Once learned, I legit can go up and down stairs using only one hand if I really wanted to. For me, going up stairs is more stressful than going down (that’s with every handtruck not just Escalera). And that’s because when the ‘steppers’ activate on each step, going down enables the weight to shift back toward operator, while going up transfers the weight forward (which is why people say they feel like it’s falling forward).

I will be updating some videos on the Escalera line and accessories and tips/techniques people can utilize in the future. This thread feedback is helpful though, so thank you everyone!

Some Tips/Techniques

- Unlike a typical handtruck/furniture dolly, the Escalera Staircat is operated more vertical when going up and down stairs. When using the Escalera, I tell people to be careful not to lean it back like you would a typical handtruck because too far back and the sliders will slide it down a stair when you don’t want it too. Also, leaning too far back increases the risk of the steppers not hitting the following step when going down the stairs.

- Learn a good stance and wear shoes to avoid slipping. One leg forward one leg back bent knees.

- When going up stairs, anticipate the weight shifting forward. If done properly, you will anticipate the shift and will correct by staying at the fulcrum point (weight is then balancing on the steppers). As a result, you won’t feel like it’s pulling away and you won’t be so far back that the sliders want to engage.

- For a standard staircase I do sit as well, but that takes some practice too. It’s easier to sit overall, but practice is needed because such positioning leaves the operator with less control/strength if done incorrectly, as well as making it easier to lean back to far, engaging sliders. I move up a step or down a step with my butt as the game weight is on the steppers and I have it balancing on the aforementioned fulcrum point.

- Finding the correct distance from first step (when going down) is easily learned by paying attention to the bolt coming from the left or right wheel (I use the right wheel bolt as a reference point). So regardless of whatever steps I approach, I know about where I need to stop before engaging steppers on first step because I look to the right and look at the wheel bolt and the first step edge.

- Take extra precaution when moving JJP games and widebody fully loaded B/W games. It’s easy to get used to weight of a Stern and then forget the extra weight for these games.

- I can’t recommend having a spotter underneath the game because of what could happen if the Escalera is mishandled. Also, I find people spotting usually make the situation worse by thinking they should be lifting or pushing game against operator. I regularly tell my father that he doesn’t need to push or lift as I’m using the Escalera. Using a spotter only makes things worse for me personally.

- Always have the Escalera charged. Sure it holds charge for a long long time, but if you get caught midway through a staircase and it dies going up, you’ll hate life. Not that I know from experience…

Overall, the Escalera Staircat is a lifesaver for me and makes getting games up and down stairs effortless by myself. I legit couldn’t run my business without it. And I wouldn’t own as many games as I do as an enthusiast without one.

Videos coming soon. Thanks again everyone for the ongoing support and if you ever have any questions with operating, please let us know.

Zach Meny
    Flip N Out Pinball, LLC
    [email protected]

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

So glad you and the family are okay TheBeefSupreme!
    When people order an Escalera from us we encourage people to practice, practice, practice. It’s a learning curve, but once you have the practice down, it’s like riding a bike and difficult to forget how to use the handtruck.
    It’s never about strength, it’s all in changes to weight distribution and balance. Once learned, I legit can go up and down stairs using only one hand if I really wanted to. For me, going up stairs is more stressful than going down (that’s with every handtruck not just Escalera). And that’s because when the ‘steppers’ activate on each step, going down enables the weight to shift back toward operator, while going up transfers the weight forward (which is why people say they feel like it’s falling forward).
    I will be updating some videos on the Escalera line and accessories and tips/techniques people can utilize in the future. This thread feedback is helpful though, so thank you everyone!
    Some Tips/Techniques
    - Unlike a typical handtruck/furniture dolly, the Escalera Staircat is operated more vertical when going up and down stairs. When using the Escalera, I tell people to be careful not to lean it back like you would a typical handtruck because too far back and the sliders will slide it down a stair when you don’t want it too. Also, leaning too far back increases the risk of the steppers not hitting the following step when going down the stairs.
    - Learn a good stance and wear shoes to avoid slipping. One leg forward one leg back bent knees.
    - When going up stairs, anticipate the weight shifting forward. If done properly, you will anticipate the shift and will correct by staying at the fulcrum point (weight is then balancing on the steppers). As a result, you won’t feel like it’s pulling away and you won’t be so far back that the sliders want to engage.
    - For a standard staircase I do sit as well, but that takes some practice too. It’s easier to sit overall, but practice is needed because such positioning leaves the operator with less control/strength if done incorrectly, as well as making it easier to lean back to far, engaging sliders. I move up a step or down a step with my butt as the game weight is on the steppers and I have it balancing on the aforementioned fulcrum point.
    - Finding the correct distance from first step (when going down) is easily learned by paying attention to the bolt coming from the left or right wheel (I use the right wheel bolt as a reference point). So regardless of whatever steps I approach, I know about where I need to stop before engaging steppers on first step because I look to the right and look at the wheel bolt and the first step edge.
    - Take extra precaution when moving JJP games and widebody fully loaded B/W games. It’s easiest to get used to weight of a stent and then forget the extra weight for these games.
    - I can’t recommend having a spotter underneath the game because of what could happen if the Escalera is mishandled. Also, I find people spotting usually make the situation worse by thinking they should be lifting or pushing game against operator. I regularly tell my father that he doesn’t need to push or lift as I’m using the Escalera. Using a spotter only makes things worse for me personally.
    - Always have the Escalera charged. Sure it holds charge for a long long time, but if you get caught midway through a staircase and it dies going up, you’ll hate life. Not that I know from experience…
    Overall, the Escalera Staircat is a lifesaver for me and makes getting games up and down stairs effortless by myself. I legit couldn’t run my business without it. And I wouldn’t own as many games as I do as an enthusiast without one.
    Videos coming soon. Thanks again everyone for the ongoing support and if you ever have any questions with operating, please let us know.
    Zach Meny
    Flip N Out Pinball, LLC
    [email protected]

Thanks Zach! I think the videos will be super helpful for me.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

So glad you and the family are okay TheBeefSupreme!
    Some Tips/Techniques
    - Take extra precaution when moving JJP games and widebody fully loaded B/W games. It’s easiest to get used to weight of a stent and then forget the extra weight for these games.
    Zach Meny
    Flip N Out Pinball, LLC
    [email protected]

Great tips Zach! Much appreciated.

Practice is key as you said. I strapped a friend to my Escalera when I got it to practice, only lost him down the stairs once. Now I have the process down.

Just joking about the last part lol.

#56 1 year ago

I've had two types of Escalera mishaps.

1. Leaned it too far back and it started sliding down the stairs on its skids like a sled. Spotter stopped it quickly and we were ok. Lesson learned about going too far back.

2. Going downstairs with a Wonka SE, the balance point pitched forward a bit and I had to lean back with all my weight to try and save it (and my stairs/house.) Yelled for the buyer who was outside putting the legs in his truck. Once he came back in he was able to help tip the balance point back and we made it down the stairs without incident.

My best practices for Escalera are now:

- Always make sure it's fully charged as Zach pointed out
    - Never do it alone
    - Empty pockets, remove watch, have no potential distractions
    - Train your spotter what to watch for - their job is not to lift, but to push the load toward the stair if #1 happens, and push the top back toward me if #2 happens.

It's an excellent tool and there's no way I'd be able to enjoy pins upstairs without it. I'm glad I bought it.

Practice running it up and down stairs empty, and with a small load first.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

- Take extra precaution when moving JJP games and widebody fully loaded B/W games. It’s easy to get used to weight of a Stern and then forget the extra weight for these games.

Can confirm.

I got overly confident chucking Sterns up and down the stairs, then had my first mishap on the Wonka SE going down.

2 months later
    #58 1 year ago

Without my Escalera…. I wouldn’t own a Sega Time Traveler!

0CCC5250-DAE9-4174-ABBE-8BB2A7AB1D20 (resized).png0CCC5250-DAE9-4174-ABBE-8BB2A7AB1D20 (resized).pngC5BE1752-C7F0-4685-85A2-A135DC27E1B8 (resized).pngC5BE1752-C7F0-4685-85A2-A135DC27E1B8 (resized).pngEC98FD70-F117-40E4-AC8B-36BCE6E57BC4 (resized).pngEC98FD70-F117-40E4-AC8B-36BCE6E57BC4 (resized).png
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-safety/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.