(Topic ID: 270835)

Escalera Powered Stair Climber information thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 600 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RLA-HC (resized).png
    steps going down (resized).jpg
    steps going up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1345 (resized).jpeg
    20230828_144634_compress99 (resized).jpg
    20230828_144618_compress67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1703 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zmeny.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago

Happy to help. So the steppers that take the weight when climbing the stairs are a hard rubber. I have never seen them damage wood. I have however seen the escalera mark up a metal door threshold if you are rough.

The rubber steppers are great at even grabbing the edge of a stair really surprising how well they stick. If you have any other questions, we’d be happy to assist as the pinball dealers for Escalera. They are the real deal and fantastic to have when owning pinball machines or...well...anything heavy.

Zach Meny
    Flip N Out Pinball
    flipnoutpinball.com
    [email protected]

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

OK sounds good, what's the best place to get one? Better at a regular store or online? I'm in Orlando if anyone knows a location.

I think we have Rai squared away thanks everyone for the help!!!! Great Escalera Club here!

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Can someone who has one comment on this : can u lift a machine with the pinball plate and easily
    Move it around with carpeting ?
    Thanks

Elaborate a bit. When you say pinball plate to you mean the forklift model with detachable extended plate? Or do you mean the typical toe plate on a standard escalera without forklift?

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bdeuell:

Great info here, thanks guys!
    One question for ya'll though. Do the Escalaras work on a curved wood staircase such as the one in this photo? Anyone tried this?
    I'm worried about the mechanics just not gripping the stairs the way its supposed to. So far I've just used manual carrying (tough), and sliding up in a box on a blanket (easier but no cakewalk). It would definitely be nice to have something that doesn't rely on enlisting help every time.
    [quoted image]

Will it work? Yes. Will it be easy? No, unfortunately nothing makes landings or spiral stairs easy. My only concern would be the angle that the stairs take midway up. It looks like the path gets more narrow and turn is sharper.

Tell me this, have you used a regular appliance dolly hauling a pin before on those stairs? Each stair is technically still straight so after each step you’d just square it up before going up the next.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

My only Strong suggestion is to get the Taller 66 model! Doesn’t seem necessary but that extra length Really helps raise the load triangle which minimizes the forward pull when going down stairs. Plus I Think they cost the same?

Correct all standard models are the same cost but can be built at 60”, 66”, or 72”. 95% of our buyers opt for the 66” version and that’s the one I personally use as well.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I mean the detachable forklift plate . Will my situation of lifting a machine from the front end off the ground on all four legs and moving it around work well ?

Yes it will move fine on carpet. As a reminder to everyone, the forklift model does not have long enough forks to move machines from front to back and requires you to go from the side. However, with the pinball plate attachment for the forklift model ($200) you can lift machines from front to back with ease similar to a hydraulic jack that many are accustomed to.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

That was great, I might get the fork lift/flat plate too. How much is that flat plate and fork lift?

Sorry for the delay everyone and big thanks to Yelo for the assist.

So we price the standard Escalera at $2200 plus shipping. This includes battery, smart charger, and retractable strap.

The Escalera Forklift Model is $2800 plus shipping. It cannot really be added later because the frame is cut into to accomodate the winch. It’s easily detachable when not in use so we tell customers if you think you’ll ever need it, it may be good to purchase. You can always keep it stored when not in use, that’s what I do.

The Pinball Plate was designed by Flip N Out Pinball and Escalera to make moving pinball machines easier. They cost $200 plus shipping. Once attached the escalera forklift model has a flat extended plate that can lift machines from front to back, instead of only from the side. Without the pinball plate, the forklift model forks are not long enough to pick up pinball machines from front to back.

Also, the forklift can technically be left on when going up and down stairs, but for carrying pinball machines, we do NOT recommend keeping the forklift attachment on when maneuvering up and down stairs.

Zach Meny
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Escalera Dealer

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Zach is the edge detection system an option on all models? I was always curious how you can tell when to press the down switch.
    (I changed the title of this thread also to Escalera information thread).

I believe so but depending on the age of escalera a toeplate upgrade may be necessary. If your would like step edge system I ask that people send me a pic of their model number and toeplate to include their order so we get the right stuff ordered.

I have not used the step edge system personally but it is becoming more popular with people from the feedback we’ve received

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

Love my Escalara. I'm not buff by any means, but have moved Dialed In, Pirates, and P3 Multimorphic all by myself. And those games are BEASTS. I would HIGHLY recommend the big wheel attachment. The standard little wheels will get stuck on any little twig or rock and don't even try to get a wheel in the grass. But I've wheeled a machine down a hill on my lawn using the big wheel attachment with no effort.

Whew The P3 is truly a beast to handle!

3 weeks later
    #74 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

For my first use I was going to use the pinball plate to move my wonka into position in my line up , but the game has under cab lights will it damage those ? Or should be all good ?

I have not seen how the JJP undercab lighting is setup. Is the lighting recessed into the cab or is it sticking out?

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Its recessed into the cab and doesnt' stick out. I wish all machines had it factory, its pretty awesome.
    I will take a photo when I get home.
    Thanks!

Then it should be fine. Keep us updated.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Well it’s a great machine well built and quality but for my application it didn’t work as planned it just doesn’t budge in carpet . Too unstable for me to mess with it more other then just lifting games up to change legs and adjust feet etc
    [quoted image]

That awesome collection deserves an Escalera so it fits in perfectly.

Everyone should always practice with the escalera before using one for a pinball machine, especially a damn heavy one. We recommend practicing using it without a load first. Then practice with something 100 pounds to get the feel of that shift in weight distribution when the steppers engage on the step. Then practice with a players condition game, etc.

Remember, the Escalera isn’t tilted back as far when going up and down stairs like a traditional hand truck. With traditional hand trucks the user leans it back so the slider belts assist. On the Escalera if you do the same, the slider belts will allow it to slide, which you won’t be expecting. So instead, it should be more of a 45 degree when going up the stairs and can be a bit more of an angle when going down, but not so much to hit the sliding belts.

The most important part when using the escalera is to have a good stance to support the weight shift and be ready for it (practice). But you should never be pulling the Escalera up the stairs when it’s loaded with a machine. No need to ever lift or pull, rather you are counterbalancing the weight shift.

Confused yet? Don’t be. It’s easy to learn and once you got it down, it’s as effortless as riding a bicycle. If I can do it, believe me, anyone can.

Final note, regardless of using an Escalera or a typical hand truck or 5 guys and a case of beer.... tight landings suck and JJP machines, B/W widebodies, and Multimorphic P3s are VERY heavy!

#89 3 years ago

Within the next couple of weeks I will be updating and adding Escalera videos so be on the lookout for those. There will be links on our website and they will be on flip n out’s YouTube page so while you’re thinking about it, go there now and subscribe so you can be notified when new videos go up, as well as some fun videos showcasing the newest games and products that are released in pinball....and in arcades????

3 weeks later
    #146 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Yes. It's a PITA for me but totally worth it. So I use the forklift to unload the game. Separate the forklift. Haul the game inside and into the basement with just the dolly part. Bring the dolly back upstairs and into the garage to re-attach the forklift. Go back downstairs with the forklift in order to lift the game and set it up.
    The forklift and dolly weigh about 200lbs together. The dolly is light (aluminum). The forklift is all steel, super heavy, and not really moveable if it's not attached to the dolly. While you can use the stair climbing function with the forklift attached it does create an issue for tight corners, but more importantly you have all that extra weight in addition to the game that's trying to pull the dolly forward and down the stairs (and you with it).

Good info here thanks. I can easily move the detached forklift because the front has wheels. So I pick up the end that attaches to the escalera and easily roll it into a storage spot when not in use

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Yeah I should have specified you can sort of roll it short distances but it's inconvenient compared to when attached to the dolly. Let's just say I wouldn't move the forklift by itself on a nice floor.

I hear ya. Also watch those fingers when attaching the forklift. That strap lock pin can wreak havoc on a finger....not that I have made that mistake 4 times...

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Following. I think this should be my next big purchase.
    Chris

I always tell people that at some point you’re gonna have to buy the aluminum. Either a couple grand worth in the Escalara or the hardware that will go in your back which will be much pricier and more painful. The metal is going somewhere....hahaha

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Everything they make is heavily marked up. Look at the big wheel attachment. That's a $25 weldment with $25 wheels on it, sells for $200. They charge $150 for a battery you can get on Amazon for $30. Same as the charger. If they had $500 in materials and labor to build one, I'd be shocked. Hopefully they are at least paying a solid living wage to the folks who are making these at the price they charge.

Those prices are a bit higher than what we sell accessories for but I can affirm that the company is made up of great people and very supportive. Big wheels are 150 plus shipping and batteries are 100 plus shipping.

#184 3 years ago

Thanks for the reminder. I use my Escalara multiple times a week for past couple years and I’ve noticed the battery getting a bit sluggish. I need to order a new one as well. The battery charge is usually fantastic. I used to forget to charge it and still could bank on it lugging a handful of games up and down some steps

1 month later
    #198 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

What size of landing is needed to make "the turn" with a machine attached? When using a standard appliance cart, I need a lot of help to lift machine and get one of the wheels up(or down) a step while turning. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a escalera so that I can try before I buy.

It would be similar to a standard handtruck

2 months later
    #210 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

We finally got into our new home and the gameroom is upstairs, so had to purchase a escalera. First off the stairs are full custom wood stairs and the wife was very nervous when I took the first game up about damaging them. Just took several games up and not single scratch or mark. Overal I am very happy with the purchase of the escalera. Going up is super easy and I had no problems doing it by myself. I feel like the truck itself is very easy to use and make pretty tight turns easily and I also did not think the truck itself was overly heavy like some have stated. The one built in single strap is all that is needed and the standard plate is just fine. My only concern is going down!! If you do not have the truck correctly positioned going down it could be bad news quickly. I have not found the sweet spot on downward trips yet, but before I move a game down I will for sure do more practicing and have a friend help on the first trip down. If anyone has tips on going down please pass them along.

You’ll get used to knowing how far from the step the main wheels will be before engaging the steppers. Always have a good front to back leg stance to position self. Typical stairs you should be able to keep pressing the switch instead of stopping in each stair. Also remember, the hand truck doesn’t need to be tilted back all the way. The trickiest part is getting used to ‘the pull’ forward when going up stairs. If you got that down then going down isn’t bad at all. Phone me if you need to 812.457.9711.

#211 3 years ago

Sorry for all of the delays in responding to some of you regarding Escalera sales. A week vacation set me back in a list of things and Escalera has been backed up a bit more than usual this past month. If youve tried to call and we weren’t able to answer, email me at [email protected] and we can setup a time to chat.

Always happy to help in this thread as well to answer any questions you all may have.

Happiest Of Holidays Escalera Club!

Zach
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Official Escalera Pinball Dealer

#213 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I'm guessing you took the wife and kids to the Escalera factory for a vacation tour. Fun dad!

hahahaha not a bad idea

1 week later
    #227 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I am interested in this as well. If not to difficult i will probably order some

So honestly I don’t know because I haven’t installed them on mine. They are a bit pricey and I don’t see how they’d be a breeze to install. That’s just me being an escalera owner. People order them and don’t report back any issues.
    I had a new staircat with them installed from factory for a customer and used them once to demonstrate at Expo.
    I know the machine so well that it is of no use to me because learning where to look at a side wheel and the step edge distance is easy, quick, and not relying on another mechanism. People like them and feel better about them so I am supportive but it’s not an accessory I push because I don’t have enough experience.

Happy to discuss through messaging if anyone is interested. You know, in the next month or two I am going to order a fully loaded model and produce new demonstration videos for each accessory. Would that be helpful to people here or a waste of time?

Thanks again all!

1 month later
    #249 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

I am looking for an easier way to move machines in and out of the basement. This turn is approximately 83 x 35. Is an escalera a viable solution?
    [quoted image]

The Escalera will make the stairs much much easier. It will not help that 180 degree turn at all. The only benefit is you will have more energy to manage the nightmare turn once you get there. Happy to help if you have any other questions.

[email protected]

3 months later
    #332 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

Im not sure what you mean by carpet protector film, is that something that would go on the chain, or you mean like a plastic runner?
    Escalera is already sketch on carpet. You have like a 1.5" window to hit while balancing all the weight trying to look over the side.

I’ve never had any issue with carpet using my Escalera. I’ve owned it from new so thankfully no one has incorrectly added grease or anything to the chains that would stain carpet. Positioning it on stairs is also simple from my experience.

Granted, I do sell them so I have that disgusting and biased mark on my head hahaha But, people know me and know that I will shoot them straight. Many things can get a pinball machine up and down stairs. The Escalera Staircat is one of them. I use one daily and couldn’t do my job without one. They are built great, offer a range of accessories for specific jobs, are manufactured by a wonderful team that truly care about the pinball industry, and they don’t lose value. There’s a reason why they don’t often pop up for sale used or why a rusty old one dragged through hell still fetches $1500 or more.

5 months later
    #371 2 years ago

CHICAGO PINBALL EXPO SHOW SPECIAL

We will be offering a Show Special on Escalera Stairclimbing Handtrucks this year.

- Preorder Now For Show Pickup
    - No Waiting Typical 8-10 Weeks
    - No Shipping Charges (approx. $200-300 savings)
    - FREE Installed Magnum Crossgrip Handle (approx. $150 savings)
    - Big Wheels Attachment Available As Well

Email Us To Reserve Yours TODAY!

[email protected]

3874A36A-8F00-4BCD-B78D-C0A97C02109D (resized).jpeg3874A36A-8F00-4BCD-B78D-C0A97C02109D (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #377 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Took my jetsons for a jog this nice cool autumn morning with my escalera to my parents house , got it in their basement before they even woke up and poof I’m gone ! Mission success
    Thanks escalera
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Very very cool! I love attaching those big wheels and just taking pins on a stroll. Too easy

7 months later
    #425 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

Ok, my buddy has an escalera, but it won’t currently work in my basement due to these stairs.
    Any suggestions on how I might be able to make it work?
    I was thinking about creating some temporary step changers to make the flat parts larger, and possibly making some of the steps taller. Anyone know if this might work, and/or what the tallest step is that an Escalera can handle?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    [quoted image]

How do you get pins down there now?

#434 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

With a lot of hard work. We use a regular dolly to strap the pin in and give us some handles. As we get to the corner, the pin needs to go more vertical than usual on the dolly.
    Going down is MUCH easier than going up, of course.
    Wider bodies are a bit more painful (and generally need to go even more vertical - have moved Road Show and Demo Man successfully)
    Doing one machine is doable, then I/we call it a day (I’m 52 years old). For the MGC last November, I re-hired the guys that moved me into the house to move them up, then back down, because I was moving 7 machines at that time. They didn’t use a dolly on the stairs, but they’re younger, stronger and in better shape than me (and my buddies).
    I’ve seen the Escalera in action at my old house (with straight stairs) and am basically looking for a way to make it work at this house, because I was thoroughly impressed.
    Jeff

The Escalera Staircat essentially has the same footprint as a regular handtruck so I don’t think that would be an issue. And going up would be much easier if it works. You’d just squared up the dolly to each new step. The Escalera lifts and goes up-down more vertically than sliding on a regular handtruck anyway.

If you can get games up and down with a regular handtruck I think the Staircat would work. It may be best to borrow one from someone first to make sure. I know Poor Man’s Podcast Drew just got one and is in your area maybe see if he can loan it to ya for a weekend.

#435 1 year ago
    Quoted from Completist:

What are folks buying in terms of Escalaras for normal applications? And by normal i mean straight stairs. It looks like the MS-1-66 would be the one. I’m kinda sick of muscling pins in and out on a cheap hand truck. Plus the stair runners just end up damaging the edges of my steps.
    I have a walk-up basement with 7 concrete steps that are quite wide, leading through french doors to a solid surface floor. I’m not sure i need any accessories, I don’t need to traverse any grass or rough terrain which is where the big wheel attachment could be useful. Not sure if the bigger pin plate is needed.
    9 pages in this thread full of great info i’m sure. Just didn’t feel like reading 430 posts… so thanks for reanswering a question that’s probably been asked several times already

90% of the time we sell people the standard 66” Staircat. It’s what I use. The most used accessories are the Big Wheels Attachment and the Magnum Crossgrip Handle.

8 months later
    #507 1 year ago

NEW PINBALL PRODUCT: Tilt & Truck Pinball Table by Escalera

Zach shows off Escalera's new MUST HAVE pinball product. The Tilt & Truck Pinball Table makes setting up, breaking down, loading, and unloading a pinball machine a breeze. Your collection deserves the Tilt & Truck Pinball Table. Get rid of your cheap broken down hydraulic lift table that leaks fluid everywhere and replace it with this!

11 months later
    #588 61 days ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

Wow, I think you got lucky. I need to charge mine for every use (~15 steps). My battery is only a couple years old too!

The Staircat battery should be good for multiple flights, so many many more than that. It sounds like it's time for a new battery. I swap my batteries every couple of years and like many other similar appliance/machine batteries, I notice that when I am hauling our Escalera in the van during cold months it zaps it faster.

1 month later
    #599 13 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

other tip is to use the climbing feet as foot pegs to keep it stable when unloaded. Basically rotate the feet till they prop it up from the backside.. then it won't tip, runaway, etc. Useful when working on sloped surfaces too

Yup, I wanna gonna say the same things. Use those steppers as a brake system. I learned the same way as I have on a couple of occasions had it knock me in the head. I always put it in Park now when attaching Big Wheels Attachment.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zmeny.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-powered-stair-climber-hand-truck-ok-for-nice-wood-stairs?tu=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.