(Topic ID: 270835)

Escalera Powered Stair Climber information thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 600 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RLA-HC (resized).png
    steps going down (resized).jpg
    steps going up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1345 (resized).jpeg
    20230828_144634_compress99 (resized).jpg
    20230828_144618_compress67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1703 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I may be buying a house with upstairs game room. The stairs look fine, straight not curved, wide and big landing to turn around but they are polished wood. I don't want to damage the wood wanted to see if anyone has used the Escalara and how it works on interior wooden stairs. Thanks

#7 3 years ago

thanks for the replies!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Happy to help. So the steppers that take the weight when climbing the stairs are a hard rubber. I have never seen them damage wood. I have however seen the escalera mark up a metal door threshold if you are rough.
    The rubber steppers are great at even grabbing the edge of a stair really surprising how well they stick. If you have any other questions, we’d be happy to assist as the pinball dealers for Escalera. They are the real deal and fantastic to have when owning pinball machines or...well...anything heavy.
    Zach Meny
    Flip N Out Pinball
    flipnoutpinball.com
    [email protected]

I was looking at the website and saw there is optional for larger wheels ie for grass. I have a nice heavy duty dolly that is ok for that but not ok for stairs my old house was a walk in basement so I did the grass with that but no stairs. Is it worth buying the optional wheels or better to just move around on ground floor with the heavy duty dolly and use the escelara just for the stairs. I mean do the small wheels work ok on carpet for example?

Also if I was to get the larger wheels would they interfere with the stair walking parts in any way. Finally my heavy duty dolly has tread parts to help it go up the stairs but they don't really move freely and were more hinderance than help, they always got in the way on the stair lip, that is want would really damage the stairs. I use on concrete or carpet never wood but I feel like the crawler part would damage the wood. I don't have any experience with the escelara but someone above said to watch for the metal parts on the wood (not the rubber climber parts). So is there a trick to prevent any contact with the stairs beside the wheels and the rubber feet?

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I strongly suggest you get the big wheels, they roll over uneven surfaces and grass very well. You have to take them off when you climb the stairs, but they go on and off in seconds

OK good to know, I have a nice non motorized dolly already that is good for grass so I don't think I'd want to bother with buying extra set of wheels.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from OilGuy:

Rai, with as much money as these units cost, get the wheels they make a huge difference. They balance the load perfectly and make moving on any surface a breeze. When moving up and down stairs the pinball machine is strapped on the Escalera, it would be a big pain to then unstrap and transfer it to a different dolly to finish the move.

But don't you have to swap the wheels on/off the escalara which seems like it would take as much time as switching to a different hand truck. OK I was looking maybe the not that much trouble to switch wheels off. I though you would need to take the small wheels off to add the big wheels but seems like the big wheels just snap on/off.

#20 3 years ago

OK sounds good, what's the best place to get one? Better at a regular store or online? I'm in Orlando if anyone knows a location.

#29 3 years ago

Fortunately the house I’m looking at has a wide landing, can stand it up to make the turn etc...

Spiral stairs look nice but they are not easy for moving a pin up or down I'm sure.
    57F2B435-43E0-4B23-9CA4-A842C9C59419 (resized).jpeg57F2B435-43E0-4B23-9CA4-A842C9C59419 (resized).jpeg

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bdeuell:

Great info here, thanks guys!
    One question for ya'll though. Do the Escalaras work on a curved wood staircase such as the one in this photo? Anyone tried this?
    I'm worried about the mechanics just not gripping the stairs the way its supposed to. So far I've just used manual carrying (tough), and sliding up in a box on a blanket (easier but no cakewalk). It would definitely be nice to have something that doesn't rely on enlisting help every time.
    [quoted image]

I saw a lot of videos to decide and came across this might help it says the escalara can go anywhere a normal dolly will go.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I think this start to finish video from my friend in WI should mostly answer all your questions. lol

That was great, I might get the fork lift/flat plate too. How much is that flat plate and fork lift?

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from attack7777:

rai I've got the same stair situation and just bought a used Escalera..... I think I'm going to have to take off the dolly and rotate, go up the mid stair, and repeat to get it up, but worth it.

I was thinking if there is room (I didn't measure) but if I could place apiece of cloth or something maybe I could rotate like a top the entire dolly and pin attached then move to next step rotate again without moving from the dolly.

#51 3 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Anybody that would buy a house with that stairway in it and put a pinball game room on the other end of it on purpose is way more into self torture than I am willing to be.

I'm looking in Florida (No basements) and people don't always build a house with pinball in mind. So what can I do? If the house has a gameroom that's already hard to find. Most homes in Florida don't have gameroom, so if I do find a house with a gameroom then it's on the second floor (but no elevator) what to do? If I eliminate every house with gameroom in second floor then I'd be eliminating 80-90% of all homes.

#54 3 years ago

Zach is the edge detection system an option on all models? I was always curious how you can tell when to press the down switch.

(I changed the title of this thread also to Escalera information thread).

#66 3 years ago

I will be ordering one soon.

1 month later
    #151 3 years ago

I’m the one who started this thread because was getting an upstairs gameroom. However had change of house and now only have 3 steps at the front of the house.

I might be looking at a metal ramp like my moving guys used. Don’t think I’ll need an Escalera for just that little bit.

Anyone have any information or advice about metal ramp.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-powered-stair-climber-hand-truck-ok-for-nice-wood-stairs?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.