(Topic ID: 270835)

Escalera Powered Stair Climber information thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 600 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RLA-HC (resized).png
    steps going down (resized).jpg
    steps going up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1345 (resized).jpeg
    20230828_144634_compress99 (resized).jpg
    20230828_144618_compress67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1703 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marioparty34.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#175 3 years ago

How many of you still use the original battery? I have had mine for a little over 18 months and it seems like its not keeping the charge very well.

Using it just a few times up and down 18 steps takes about 1/4 of the charge.

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from evileye:

How many times have you used it? I don’t use mine much. I didn’t charge it the first two years (I know, I know, not good for the battery) and it still worked like a champ when called into duty.

I use it on average four times a month on those stairs.

3 months later
    #228 3 years ago

I ordered an Escalera with edge detection from Zach a few years ago. I think I have only used that function once. I have a narrow circular staircase and I find it better just to have a spotter to let me know when I am close to the edge.

I would probably use it more if my stairs were a straight shot up and down. Happy to answer any questions.

4 months later
    #256 2 years ago

How much slack, if any, does everyone have in their chain assembly? I feel like mine has few extra links. I always thought it should be tight like a bicycle.

#262 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

If anything like dirt bikes, they stretch over time, hence the need to replace once in a while.

Has anyone replaced their chain? Is it difficult to do? How long would you estimate it takes for a semi handy person?

2 weeks later
    #280 2 years ago

Were you referring to the forklift or plate? I always thought the plate was this. Maybe I just can't see it in your pictures.

The escalera is awesome.

20210515_115144 (resized).jpg20210515_115144 (resized).jpg
    #282 2 years ago

I have always been scared to use the plate and forklift from the coin door side. I normally just slide the forklift underneath the pin perpendicularly around center mass of the middle and raise. The forklift is longer than the pin is wide. So you don't even need to add the heavy plate onto it if you do it that way. Just a thought.

#286 2 years ago

Depends on how slanted your steps are but in general you would have the escalera tilted back to maintain center of balance. With slanted steps, you would have to just pull back.

I don't see a slight slant being an issue. Whether it's flat or slightly slanted, you still have to maintain balance.

#289 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Escalera sells edge brakes which may be useful in your case. Basically the dolly can't roll off the edge. Expensive though. look at their website for more info. I'm sure wherever you get your dolly from can order the brakes for you.
    http://www.staircat.com/prices/index.htm
    It's called Step Edge Detection system. SED-1.

Good idea. I have this attachment. It does stop the escalera from rolling off the edge from a flat surface, but not necessarily from falling forward. Just be careful. I wished I used it more for the money I spent. In questioner's case, it may be worth the money.

#293 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

perfect, this will solve my issue then... I do not think I will need anything else except for maybe the big wheel attachment.
    Another question, is the 66" or 72" model preferred for pinball machines? I presume the longer the better, however, I am 5'6" so not sure what would work best...

Plus one for the big wheel attachment. I have also used the forklift more than I thought so you may consider that. I would go for the 66" and make sure you get the cross bar. It helps with leverage and grip for me.

#295 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I've used both and the Longer the better. Easier on the back as the load triangle is higher.

I think they come in 60, 66 and 72. I agree longer is better/easier but if you plan on using it for stairs that curve, shorter is better for turn radius so you aren't hitting walls.

Also at 5'6, 66 perhaps will be more manageable IMHO.

1 year later
    #409 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Just FYI - I replaced the climbing feet on my 72" model for <$50 by ordering parts right from Escalera. Online and other folks wanted $80-$100.

How difficult and how long did it take to change the feet out?

I use my escalera on a curved stair case exclusively, and one of the feet is slightly higher offset than the other. Can I readjust or do I need new feet and new chains?

#413 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

If it's just a deformed rubber, you can just loosen the nut and bolt, spin the rubber and retighten. The actual swap is dead easy. It's literally a nut and bolt and washers. If one of the two mounting points are showing higher than the other, you probably have a stretched chain. That is more difficult.

I think I may have a stretched chain. It's maybe half an inch off of each other right now. I can't seem to find any instructions on now to replace. It's still doing it's job, but my OCD is getting the better of me.

#415 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The feet are just bolts - it takes just minutes. You just swap the rubber foot - not the bracket on the chain.
    I wonder if your chain just is rotated and not aligned to the other. If one chain were stretched, the relative position between the foot on one chain and a foot on the other would change as you keep cycling.
    You might just want to pop the chain’s link and reset its position on the spokes

That makes perfect sense! If I truly had one stretched chain and one non stretched, each cycle would further separate them. Well that greats news then! Perhaps I just need to move one chain a spoke or two.

Are there any online instructions on how to do that?

1 year later
    #581 63 days ago

Does anyone have a "fast charge" solution? Please check my math...if the battery is 12v @ 18A and the charger that comes with it outputs at 12V @ .8A, that means from 0 amps, it would take 22.5 hours to completely charge? Is anyone using a charger than can output more that .8A/hr?

I am not an electricity guy, so I may be way off in my thinking. Please correct me if so.

#583 63 days ago

Understood.

I have never drained my battery down to zero. I was just using it for my calculation example.

But my math is correct right? Let's say it has 15amps left on the battery and I need 3amps more for it to be fully charged, it would take 3amps divided by .8 amp/hr , so 3.75 hours to fully charge right?

In either case, I am trying to lessen the 3.75 hour charge time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marioparty34.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-powered-stair-climber-hand-truck-ok-for-nice-wood-stairs?tu=marioparty34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.