(Topic ID: 270835)

Escalera Powered Stair Climber information thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 600 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RLA-HC (resized).png
    steps going down (resized).jpg
    steps going up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1345 (resized).jpeg
    20230828_144634_compress99 (resized).jpg
    20230828_144618_compress67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1703 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

You should be fine as long as the wheels are free of debris that could scratch them and you are careful with the metal parts of the escalara. I have had the rubber feet leave marks on stairs before though but never any non repairable damage.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

One of the benefits of a device like this is that it’s pretty much indestructible and will last a lifetime, plus parts are readily available. I’ve had mine several years and bought it locally off CL, but the guy who owned it before me bought it in 2001. He used it to move appliances and retired so didn’t need it. I have replaced the rubber feet and the battery, but that’s it so far. Might have a significant upfront cost, but it will last a lifetime and the first time you use it to move a pin, you’ll forget all about the cost. One added benefit, these things hold value. That’s my PSA for the day.

Used mine to move 3 pins in the last 3 days. Value!

20200619_143154 (resized).jpg20200619_143154 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #93 3 years ago

I would echo Zach and the others here. You really just need to get comfortable with using it on the steps and finding the center of gravity. Once the process "clicks" it goes from a terrifying concept to a breeze. I have a 1962 split level house where I have to bring games up a front stoop, over a threshold, UP 3 steps to my main floor, down 3 to a landing, THEN down like 10 to my basement (or reverse all that if a game is leaving). The first time I moved a game I felt like I was struggling to pull the whole thing up and just trying to avoid being flung down the steps, as you get used to letting the dolly do the work, it truly is a life changer. You should NOT feel like you are fighting the dolly, if you do, you need to readjust the weight balance and let it take 95% of the load. You can go slow and balance on the climbing feet if you need a pause and always make minor adjustments going up and down. I've learned to stand back a step or two going down my basement as well so I can get a look under the escalara to make sure I have good alignment for the feet for each step. It takes 2 minutes longer, but no need to rush it down.

Some of the best value I've gotten is just being able to go jump on a CL/FB deal with it alone and get there before all the people who are trying to find a buddy to help them or asking for pictures of what the stairs look like, etc. I don't even ask any more, just throw the escalara in the car (well, SUV) and go myself. I've moved a Judge Dredd in and out alone, and while it's still not a "light as a feather" experience, it's a back saving one that has paid for itself 10x over (although I got mine relatively cheap used off FB - sorry Zach ).

Keep it and keep practicing, it will work out!

#101 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

I’m kind of leaning in the Harbor Freight cart direction to be honest. The lift attachment feels like overkill when I want to move a pin into the shop area for a simple repair. Hence the reason I was asking. Just looking for an option that doesn’t involve magic sliders as I don’t like to leave them under the machine legs all the time.

Keep an eye on the FB pinball and arcade groups. I see used pinball dollys come through all the time for ~$100. My wife actually got me one new a few years back for my birthday and they are great if you are moving game around frequently.

I use carpet sliders for rearranging but just pull them out when I am done.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Personally never understood the Pinball specific lift tables. Most are huge, do not lower to the floor for setup, and often weigh as much as a pinball machine??

Maybe were talking about different things. I have one like this:

https://www.classicgamerooms.com/tools/pinball-dolly-cart-lift-detail.html

I can lift it up easily (not that you need to) and it gets stored under one of my games when not in use. Why would you want it to go to the floor for set up? How would you get the legs on with the game resting on the floor?

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

You want it to go to the floor because it makes setting up a game a Single person simple process! With pin on back you slowly lean the pin forward till it lays on the table just 6 inches off the ground. Step on the hydraulic lift which raises the game to just over leg height, install all legs and done. Those heavy steel carts simply move up and down a few inches. You still have to get the heavy game On the cart. The simply HF cart can be used to Easily setup a game as well as move them around your room effortlessly.

Oh I see what you mean ha! I was imagining the game on the ground in the same position as with the legs on. I usually just slide it off the escalara, throw the front legs on, then rest the back end of the game on my knee or a stool or something and throw the rear legs on. I actually never really use it for setting up a game so that makes sense if that's what you're trying to do.

2 months later
    #199 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

What size of landing is needed to make "the turn" with a machine attached? When using a standard appliance cart, I need a lot of help to lift machine and get one of the wheels up(or down) a step while turning. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a escalera so that I can try before I buy.

It would be about the same as Zach notes above. I would add that the Escalara itself is pretty heavy (he could probably give you an exact weight), but it will add some weight to the already heavy load of a game if you are trying to lift it and turn.

1 month later
    #204 3 years ago
    Quoted from pureinstinct:

I purchased an old and neglected Escalera 72" model that had no battery and was being used as a traditional appliance hand truck! At least it already had the Big Wheel Attachment!
    I want to get it back in working order and need some advice on what accessories are the most useful.
    Which accessories below do you recommend?:
    1. It already has 1 strap, do I need 2 or 3 straps to best secure a pin?
    2. Is the Retractable Load Support useful? Can it hold up a pin on its own without falling over? - http://www.staircat.com/accessories/rls.htm
    3. Is the 28" toe plate useful?
    Also, to what psi should I inflate the big wheels?
    Thanks!

I've never used the attachments you're asking about, but for your first question, the built in strap is really all I use. No harm in using more I suppose but the built in one works great.

5 months later
    #263 2 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Does anybody know where I can order the hard rubber feet (highlighted/circled)?
    Mine are crumbling away
    [quoted image]

Yep, I had to replace mine maybe a year ago. Just emailed Zach, easy to swap.

5 months later
    #365 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

My Escelera got a work out and pretty much paid for itself this past weekend. Moved 9 pins including WOZ and STTNG up one set of concrete steps and into a Uhaul truck. 14 hour drive then up one small set of paver steps followed by one flight of wood ones. I did have a little help for when needed but no way would I have able to do that with a regular hand truck anymore.

I feel you! Moved two pins I sold out of my basement two weeks ago, brought a new one in, and then my buddy borrowed my escalara to move a few games around his house. Oh, also helped a neighbor move a new fridge in ha!

8 months later
    #406 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Handtrucks2go prices are wack! Just went through this myself.

I did the same replacement a few years ago and just emailed Zach from flip n out. Shipped fast and cheaper than anywhere else I saw.

#408 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

He wanted $80 plus shipping (on par with online retailers)
    From Escalera I paid $40 + $18.80 for shipping.

Hm just looked back at my email. It was 2019 but it was 39.99 and 7.50 shipping form Zach. Interesting it would double in 3 years but everything else is crazy ha.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-powered-stair-climber-hand-truck-ok-for-nice-wood-stairs?tu=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.