(Topic ID: 270835)

Escalera Powered Stair Climber information thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 600 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RLA-HC (resized).png
    steps going down (resized).jpg
    steps going up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1345 (resized).jpeg
    20230828_144634_compress99 (resized).jpg
    20230828_144618_compress67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1703 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 3 years ago

If the escalera could just lose about 100lbs that would be great.

I wouldn't want the forklift setup just for the reason of hauling that stuff around

The escalara is just heavy enough its much harder to get lined up with my cabinets when on my sloped driveway...

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

You want it to go to the floor because it makes setting up a game a Single person simple process! With pin on back you slowly lean the pin forward till it lays on the table just 6 inches off the ground. Step on the hydraulic lift which raises the game to just over leg height, install all legs and done. Those heavy steel carts simply move up and down a few inches. You still have to get the heavy game On the cart. The simply HF cart can be used to Easily setup a game as well as move them around your room effortlessly.

They work better for people that don't need to break down the games. If you are moving games from location to location and don't have to break the games down the coffin lift carts are faster and support the cabinet better. They get the game up and down faster as it's a single operation.

So when moving games to and from w/o stairs and with a lift gate... they are great. They work great for moving games around on flat floors.

They are however... limited use.

2 weeks later
    #123 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What’s the bigger plate? I’m thinking about getting one of these myself. I know about the bigger wheels but what does the plate do ?

Replaces the toe plate with a bigger square so more of tge plate fits under the game

The last thing my escelra needs is to be heavier...or bigger... no thanks

I would appreciate it tho if it let it stand on its own better

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from newovad:

Just set the belt lifters to catch on the floor and the Escalera stands by itself no problem.

Ill try that...

my driveway is on a slope... the cart is a lethal weapon if you don't lay it down because it won't stay still. And is a pig to manually drag slide to side etc when getting under a game

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m the one who started this thread because was getting an upstairs gameroom. However had change of house and now only have 3 steps at the front of the house.
    I might be looking at a metal ramp like my moving guys used. Don’t think I’ll need an Escalera for just that little bit.
    Anyone have any information or advice about metal ramp.

I just made simple runners using https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/lund-ramp-kit?cm_vc=-10005 and 1x8s. You could buy a simple alumnimum one pre-built... just get one worthy of running appliance cart wheels over.

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I think escalera is missing the boat. Looks like most people are in on one at $1000-$1500. $2500 for base and then another $500 in accessories is a hard pill to swallow for something you use once per month or so.

The home consumer isn't their prime audience. It's people who use the tool for work. Trades folk, movers, etc.

Their price point has stayed relatively stable while the money hobbyists are throwing into the hobby has nearly doubled in the last 10 years. Percentage of cost is moving in their favor.

Reality is a very large percentage of hobbyists just pay someone to do the work. The price point of 1500 vs 2500 really isn't going to change the TAM. People are either invested in tools for moving or they treat it as a overhead expense per transaction.

#179 3 years ago
    Quoted from marioparty34:

How many of you still use the original battery? I have had mine for a little over 18 months and it seems like its not keeping the charge very well.
    Using it just a few times up and down 18 steps takes about 1/4 of the charge.

That sounds kind of about right to me. Thats a lot of steps. Somewhere in the back of my mind... i had the number 70 steps tucked away to remember. I think there is a statement somewhere on the website about expected capacity

#182 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Mine is only a year old so no battery issue yet but I may look into going with lipo batteries next. Already have all the special charging equipment from my RC days.... Lighter, more storage capacity... just needs a proper cutoff which would be the disadvantage. Full power until it stops completely, wherever that is lol..

Capacity isn't an issue... unless you are a dozen moves a day? I mean... when I have to move a truck load of games, I'd make sure I was charged and maybe have a plan B. But otherwise... it's 'When did I use this last? oh I better plug it in..' and not much else

2 months later
    #206 3 years ago
    Quoted from pureinstinct:

I purchased an old and neglected Escalera 72" model that had no battery and was being used as a traditional appliance hand truck! At least it already had the Big Wheel Attachment!
    I want to get it back in working order and need some advice on what accessories are the most useful.
    Which accessories below do you recommend?:
    1. It already has 1 strap, do I need 2 or 3 straps to best secure a pin?
    2. Is the Retractable Load Support useful? Can it hold up a pin on its own without falling over? - http://www.staircat.com/accessories/rls.htm
    3. Is the 28" toe plate useful?
    Also, to what psi should I inflate the big wheels?
    Thanks!

I just use ratchet straps rather than keep spending money on the attached ones...they dont work as great as the big geared ones you normally see on big carts imo.

I’ve also never needed anything other then the normal toe plate.

The weight of these things suck... i am generally against things that bloat them

4 weeks later
    #216 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

We finally got into our new home and the gameroom is upstairs, so had to purchase a escalera. First off the stairs are full custom wood stairs and the wife was very nervous when I took the first game up about damaging them. Just took several games up and not single scratch or mark. Overal I am very happy with the purchase of the escalera. Going up is super easy and I had no problems doing it by myself. I feel like the truck itself is very easy to use and make pretty tight turns easily and I also did not think the truck itself was overly heavy like some have stated. The one built in single strap is all that is needed and the standard plate is just fine. My only concern is going down!! If you do not have the truck correctly positioned going down it could be bad news quickly. I have not found the sweet spot on downward trips yet, but before I move a game down I will for sure do more practicing and have a friend help on the first trip down. If anyone has tips on going down please pass them along.

On the downward trip... remember you don't have to find the perfect clearance either.. the truck will kind of scoot itself forward if you were too far back. You can play it conservative and worst case it doesn't go over the edge.. just reverse and try again. The hardest part is just getting used to the weight shift as the lifters kick in. Holding it back as it lunges a bit.

It is just a confidence thing... but you do have pretty good margins of error. The weight shift is the one that doesn't have many 'undo' opportunities

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

cragslist, other ad sites like this one near me.reno.craigslist.org link
    I paid $200 for mine on craigslist.

A real steal.. even on CL around here I think the cheapest I've ever seen is about 600... with 800-1200 more typical for one that needs a tuneup/parts.

4 months later
    #260 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm fairly certain you have to replace the whole chain assembly. But call escalera and ask them. Their tech support is superb.

Nope - can get the feet alone direct from escalera

3 weeks later
    #297 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I don’t think you understand how it works. Those little feet ate what gets you up amd down the steps and can’t be used as brakes at that particular time.

? You put the lifters into the ground.. they will keep the cart from moving.

#310 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Yes they will.
    I am saying you can't use them as brakes when you are going up or down stairs. It's the lifters that make it happen. They cycle round and round. Come over to my house and I'll show you!

Ehh.. I own my own so no need

The guy was talking about worrying the cart would roll off the step.. the guy was pointing out you can use the lifters to stop the cart from rolling. You could use them to stop the cart, then back them off, re-position and descend the next step. Really it's gonna be the position the game is held that will make the game want to roll down the stair tread or not. I can't say I've dealt with any steps that were extremely abnormal to say.

#311 2 years ago

For those of you with push carpeted steps or floors, do you have issues with the chains making contact and getting grease on them?

I have concrete, so no issues here, but have had issue at another location where there was carpet. I can't think of anything that could be done except if there were bigger wheels to keep the base up higher off the floor.

#313 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Keep the chains clean, they don’t need to be greased, or use a dry lubricant on the mechanism and not the chain itself.

I doubt the chain would like life dry... it's still taking the strain and rotating forces. Escalera manual says lube with wd-40.

#324 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

I've also considered putting a sheet down if I ever really need it but that's definitely not the best idea safety wise.

Yeah, this is what I've considered... but unless you have the sticky plastic stuff, it seems more hassle than worth.

Luckily it's not a problem at my unfinished basement, but thinking of my friend's house. Luckily, the escalera is so freaking heavy I have no desire to take it anywhere..

1 month later
    #338 2 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

Thanks for the reply. I'll order a new battery and try that out. I also don't imagine I have the current charger because it doesn't look like any of the ones I've seen online.

Nothing special about the charger - can use any battery charger designed to work with the correct sized sealed battery. Same with the battery, it's about using a sealed (because you move it around.. the gel batteries are preferred) and one that easily fits on the shelf. Otherwise, you can pretty much use whatever you see fit.

#341 2 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

Just thinking about this again... does this mean I need to keep the battery plugged into a charger when not in use? I don't intent to use it more than a few times a year.

Not all the time - but the battery will lose charge overtime. Just like a car that sits idle. If left too long, they will “die”. Good chargers can act like a trickle charger. Or just plug it in every other month or so.

#345 2 years ago

This is what I am using - links shows unavailable now, maybe it's been replaced.. but < $30 from amazon when I bought it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQBWCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

2 months later
    #352 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I know what do i do! stupid, Useless truck!

what year?

The tahoe is exact same truck as the suburban except in length. I put pins in there all the time. What wouldn't fit though was stern pins with the head at the wrong end.. I had to remove a head to fit two stern games in the back. (not advised )

#354 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Its a 2015, do you think if I turn it around it will fit? I haven't tried that. Maybe I can leave the trunk open Im just transporting a few blocks down the street to my parents house.

It looks like the difference is your seats are folded down for the space? There appears to be some ledge you are sitting on? Mine is the previous gen (2013). 2015 is first year of the redo I think. My back seats come out

The reason I had to take the head off was fitting the games side by side... they can't sit opposite each other and still fit due to the angle of the body.

8 months later
    #383 1 year ago

I used to curse my 72" model as unnecessarily heavy vs the shorter model... but I've come to conclude the extra length is a blessing. It reduces how far down you need to reach when climbing stairs. In practice you find you need to lay down the load a good bit for the balance point.. and on a set of stairs taller than the load, then means reaching down while you stand on steps above the machine.

Watch videos that only show the machine climbing a few steps vs trying to climb a full half or full story of steps.

Now if the entire thing would weigh 50lbs less I would be so much happier

#390 1 year ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Very interested to hear landing dimensions that are confirmed or too close for comfort.
    Also, curious, is it possible to go up a diagonal stair such as this?
    [quoted image]

For the hand-cart - yes. For that kind of space with a pinball machine on the hand cart? No

The basic constraint is you is the clearance both in front and behind the step. The game sticks out a ton on the cart, and you have the game and hand-cart that must be in front of the step too.

These kinds of questions about an escalera are not really any different from using an appliance hand cart except
    1) it's a bit bigger than a appliance cart so you need a few more inches vs a regular cart
    2) it's way heavier than a hand cart which makes it harder to move/swap positions vs a hand-cart. So in these kind of landing situations, its more difficult to reposition vs a standard cart

So the main question is always clearance. You can navigate steps very narrow.. like 6".. but it's always the space to move the load+cart that is the biggest constraint.

3 weeks later
    #400 1 year ago

Just FYI - I replaced the climbing feet on my 72" model for <$50 by ordering parts right from Escalera. Online and other folks wanted $80-$100.

1 week later
    #407 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I did the same replacement a few years ago and just emailed Zach from flip n out. Shipped fast and cheaper than anywhere else I saw.

He wanted $80 plus shipping (on par with online retailers)

From Escalera I paid $40 + $18.80 for shipping.

#414 1 year ago

How difficult and how long did it take to change the feet out?
    I use my escalera on a curved stair case exclusively, and one of the feet is slightly higher offset than the other. Can I readjust or do I need new feet and new chains?

The feet are just bolts - it takes just minutes. You just swap the rubber foot - not the bracket on the chain.

I wonder if your chain just is rotated and not aligned to the other. If one chain were stretched, the relative position between the foot on one chain and a foot on the other would change as you keep cycling.

You might just want to pop the chain’s link and reset its position on the spokes

#416 1 year ago

That makes perfect sense! If I truly had one stretched chain and one non stretched, each cycle would further separate them. Well that greats news then! Perhaps I just need to move one chain a spoke or two.
    Are there any online instructions on how to do that?

Its just like all chains afaik… a link with a clip to free

#430 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

Ok, my buddy has an escalera, but it won’t currently work in my basement due to these stairs.
    Any suggestions on how I might be able to make it work?
    I was thinking about creating some temporary step changers to make the flat parts larger, and possibly making some of the steps taller. Anyone know if this might work, and/or what the tallest step is that an Escalera can handle?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    [quoted image]

Your issue is really the size of the landing on each step. The shallower the step, the more upright the cart has to be and greater risk of going off the step or being pulled over by the weight.

Your experience with a dolly is going to be basically the same. The biggest risk is you can’t easily balance the load if the cart can’t lean back.

The wall is your limiting factor on the turn… your steps are straight so you can square up to each no problem as long as the game doesn’t hit the wall.

You have to have a landing for each climb. It can not climb step to step continuous. So I don’t think you have a lot of options for modification here. I think your clearance to the wall is gour biggest limitation

#432 1 year ago
    Quoted from Completist:

What are folks buying in terms of Escalaras for normal applications? And by normal i mean straight stairs. It looks like the MS-1-66 would be the one. I’m kinda sick of muscling pins in and out on a cheap hand truck. Plus the stair runners just end up damaging the edges of my steps.
    I have a walk-up basement with 7 concrete steps that are quite wide, leading through french doors to a solid surface floor. I’m not sure i need any accessories, I don’t need to traverse any grass or rough terrain which is where the big wheel attachment could be useful. Not sure if the bigger pin plate is needed.
    9 pages in this thread full of great info i’m sure. Just didn’t feel like reading 430 posts… so thanks for reanswering a question that’s probably been asked several times already

66 or 72 inch model… big wheel attachment… charger… and thats it. Can easily use ratchet straps for extra straps without dealing with the add ons

Big wheel is useful even if not rough ground because it lets you roll it without holding the weight

3 weeks later
    #449 1 year ago

I’ve never needed a bigger toe plate for pins.

Big wheel is always an on and off thing because you can’t use it and climb the the same time. You get good with speed as you do it more.

The big wheel is nice for keeping loads already tilted back… but I don’t have the load balancer to compare.

#452 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Has anyone built a custom big wheel attachment? I ask because it looks so simple and cheap compared to what they charge.

It's not worth it to save $50-$70 unless you are the type that is already a welder and fabricator. The attachment isn't that expensive IMO.

3 months later
    #466 1 year ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

Is there any way to convert a 60" model to a 64" or 72"?

The smaller ones should just be different sized side rails - but the 72" has more deltas because it's rated for heavier weights. I've never heard of any conversions (tho I'm sure the company could sell you parts).

If you are sweating your grip, you probably aren't balancing the load very well.. it should not take a lot of effort from you to hold the cart.

Of course it's just a simple electrical switch so you could rewire almost anything you wanted in there, but I've never heard of any interest in upgrading it.

Sounds to me like the 60" length is causing you to reach too far under the load making it harder to handle? Might be better to try to sell yours and just find a bigger one.

I have the 72" and dislike the weight of it, but I can see how the 60" could possibly be short enough to cause different challenges..

3 weeks later
    #471 1 year ago
    Quoted from beefzap:

The only concern I have: Are there any safety issues using this? With one person pulling and one spotting, if there is a failure (battery, slippage on the carpet, something breaks) what can happen? I have not heard of anyone getting hurt, but just curious.

Thanks

well.. it's moving nearly 400lbs of stuff.. there is always some element of safety in question

The biggest issue people have with Escaleras is getting used to the lurching when the climbing feet push off the step at the start of each cycle. This is not difficult, it just takes getting used to.. the load will pull away from you while climbing steps momentarily at the start of each step as the load shifts. The more angled the load is, the less this lurching will hinder you (as your center of gravity will be further back).

The second biggest risk is coming off the step because the foot slipped or was not fully on the step in the first place. If this were to happen, the biggest problem is the weight moving/pulling on you and controlling it vs having it rip out of your hands. The cart would likely just fall back to the lower step, so only dropping like 8".. which is not a huge deal. The problem is the lack of control which could lead to a runaway. This you minimize by 1) ensuring you are all the way back against a step (technique) and 2) if there is concern about the step shapes/materials.. test run first. You'll find going down harder than up for this reason of finding the edge... but don't fear... if you are short, the cart can go down like a normal appliance cart on runners. Going TOO far really is the main concern (this is what the step edge detect add-on aides).

Coming off the step is really the primary risk, but it should not happen unless you are doing really sketchy things or are haphazard. Safety would tell you, if this happens, sacrifice the load, not yourself... and don't have people below the load.

For that reason, you really don't need/want someone pushing because you never want anyone underneath your load. Inexperienced people will find a second person helpful because of the extra set of eyes to see where you are on steps and to provide some aid (from the side!) if the lurching were to catch you off guard. The second person is really a comfort factor, they don't help much for the actual work portion.

Battery won't fail except run out of juice.. and that you know long before it goes to zero. Then it's more of a heavy appliance cart
    The lifting chains are beefy... the climbing feet do wear out over time.. replace the rubber feet when they start breaking up.

I move games all the time by myself with mine... I only really need a second person more for what I call 'tilt patrol' to make sure the load doesn't tip over sideways when going through the uneven yard. When it comes to climbing... they don't add anything once you are familiar with how the tool operates.

Just run it up and down your steps without a load to get used to it. You might have issues with dirt/grease on the carpet steps depending on the carpet material. you might find the stick-on plastic runner construction crews use helpful.

1 year later
    #585 58 days ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

It doesn’t really matter. The battery is lead acid. This means you MUST charge it every time you use it otherwise it’ll die very quickly and not hold a charge anymore.

I have had mine for YEARS and use a simple sealed battery. I don't charge it after every use.. nor leave it on trickle. The capacity of the battery is good enough unless you are climbing like 5 stories each time.. you aren't putting a major dent in the charge. If I've used it alot, I charge it, and then leave it.

#590 53 days ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

Wow, I think you got lucky. I need to charge mine for every use (~15 steps). My battery is only a couple years old too!

I believe the OG battery claims to be able to do 70 steps on a single charge. So I think you either have a really undersized battery or one that is on its way out.

Mine is just a sealed AGM I bought because I bought my unit second hand. Battery is from 2018 too.

1 month later
    #598 6 days ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Well, be careful while attaching the "big wheel attachment"... Somehow I managed to let the Escalara fall straight into my head as I was kneeling behind it attaching the wheels. Bloody nose and large egg on the back of my head. No idea how I managed that...

other tip is to use the climbing feet as foot pegs to keep it stable when unloaded. Basically rotate the feet till they prop it up from the backside.. then it won't tip, runaway, etc. Useful when working on sloped surfaces too

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-powered-stair-climber-hand-truck-ok-for-nice-wood-stairs?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.