(Topic ID: 270835)

Escalera Powered Stair Climber information thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 600 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RLA-HC (resized).png
    steps going down (resized).jpg
    steps going up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1345 (resized).jpeg
    20230828_144634_compress99 (resized).jpg
    20230828_144618_compress67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1703 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrMikeman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Speaking of which, I'm ordering another Escalera this week with the removable motorized forklift. Anyone here have experience with that? Wondering if it's worth the upgrade and what, if any, additional things should I get for the forklift (plates, etc.).

I have the powered forklift. I have the regular Escalera lift plate, as well as the pin plate sold by Flip n'out. I use both plates but the regular plate is more for non pin related uses or when I lift the pin from the side to install/remove legs. The pin plate is great but keep in mind for newer/heavier widebody games (Wms Superpins, JJP) it doesn't reach quite far enough under to make the pin feel "secure" when you lift it. I popped the speaker plate on the bottom cabinet by lifting my STTNG with the pin plate. Puts a LOT of pressure on the cab bottom (bend). I now use a 1X3 piece of wood at the end of the plate to put the pressure points on the cab sides instead of the bottom. STTNG and Woz still want to tip back so you need to push down on the lock bar to keep them stable. The whole lift wants to tip forward too. With the head folded down it's a bit better.

Nothing bad will happen as long as you are aware of the weight distribution and compensate accordingly.

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

My forklift has a crank, which is super easy to use. The biggest issue is that I frequently forget to fold the crank handle before removing the forklift attachment, which causes the attachment to get hung up. Just kind of a PITA. Motorized might not have that issue?
    If you go forklift, get the pin plate. It's worth it.

Biggest issue with the powered version is disconnecting the power before separating the lift from the dolly. Also kind of a PITA.

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thanks for the info, guys. I'd be getting the detachable motorized forklift one this time (I'm getting old), so if I detach the forklift it would still be like a regular Escalera, right? In terms of making tight corners, etc.?

Yes. It's a PITA for me but totally worth it. So I use the forklift to unload the game. Separate the forklift. Haul the game inside and into the basement with just the dolly part. Bring the dolly back upstairs and into the garage to re-attach the forklift. Go back downstairs with the forklift in order to lift the game and set it up.

The forklift and dolly weigh about 200lbs together. The dolly is light (aluminum). The forklift is all steel, super heavy, and not really moveable if it's not attached to the dolly. While you can use the stair climbing function with the forklift attached it does create an issue for tight corners, but more importantly you have all that extra weight in addition to the game that's trying to pull the dolly forward and down the stairs (and you with it).

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Good info here thanks. I can easily move the detached forklift because the front has wheels. So I pick up the end that attaches to the escalera and easily roll it into a storage spot when not in use

Yeah I should have specified you can sort of roll it short distances but it's inconvenient compared to when attached to the dolly. Let's just say I wouldn't move the forklift by itself on a nice floor.

#180 3 years ago

Mine is only a year old so no battery issue yet but I may look into going with lipo batteries next. Already have all the special charging equipment from my RC days.... Lighter, more storage capacity... just needs a proper cutoff which would be the disadvantage. Full power until it stops completely, wherever that is lol..

3 months later
    #218 3 years ago

Quoted from flynnibus:

On the downward trip... remember you don't have to find the perfect clearance either.. the truck will kind of scoot itself forward if you were too far back. You can play it conservative and worst case it doesn't go over the edge.. just reverse and try again. The hardest part is just getting used to the weight shift as the lifters kick in. Holding it back as it lunges a bit.
    It is just a confidence thing... but you do have pretty good margins of error. The weight shift is the one that doesn't have many 'undo' opportunities

Escalera does sell brakes that will stop the dolly at the right spot while preventing it from going over the edge. The kit is expensive. They call it the "Step Edge Detection System". Part# SED-1. It's 360$.

I considered ordering it but after some experience with it I'm not really worried anymore. The only time I missed a step was the first time I used it. The last 2 steps went by themselves with the dolly just bouncing of the steps. Thank goodness it didn't happen at the top cause there was no way I could stop it I was barely hanging on for the ride.. Not a pleasant experience. I was tilting the dolly too far back and that's why that happened. It was my NIB JPLE..

As has been mentioned above the biggest "challenge" is the weight shift. Regular weighted pinballs aren't much of a problem. Because it's crazy heavy, I did find WOZ challenging and had a spotter there to help with the weight shift. Otherwise I move my machines alone up and down the stairs.

3 weeks later
    #236 3 years ago
    Quoted from pureinstinct:

Bringing this up again in case folks have an opinion. Has anyone found the 28" toe plate attachment useful, or do you just stick with with the installed plate?

I never move anything without it. The installed plate is just too small. For me.

1 month later
    #246 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

So I have not been charging my battery correctly since i got my escalera. I bought it and it sat unused for 3 months with NO charging. Once I got moved into my new house I started using it taking a game or 2 upstairs until all 10 where into the gameroom. I was getting my new MB up the stairs and I noticed it was dying quickly and had like 5 more steps to go. Luckily I made it all the way up the stairs before it completely died. I could not figure out what was up because I had the charger plugged in. I did not have the battery wires connected to the charger and therefore I have not been charging it since I have owned it. That means I took 11 games up a large flight of stairs on less than a single battery charge. Pretty crazy the battery lasted that long.

Keep in mind those batteries (sealed lead acid) do NOT take kindly to getting completely drained. Same as a car battery. Once you overdrain it it'll never fully take a charge or last as long. You've definitely shortened the life of it but just make sure you charge it every time you use it.

2 months later
    #257 2 years ago
    Quoted from marioparty34:

How much slack, if any, does everyone have in their chain assembly? I feel like mine has few extra links. I always thought it should be tight like a bicycle.

If anything like dirt bikes, they stretch over time, hence the need to replace once in a while.

1 week later
    #270 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Thats what I thought. I was like physically looking at the pallet and there is no way. Unless the bottom of the pallet didnt have wood crossing it like this pallet does.

TBH even without the wood crossings it's not really effective because of the size of the pallet. The forks aren't long enough and the pallet will want to tip. I always take off the pallet to move the boxes and I use the lift plate (not the pinball plate - just the regular escalera lift plate).

1 week later
    #287 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

can anyone provide some info as to how it behaves when you have steps that might be slanted?
    I have steps outside my house and some of them are not exactly flat, so the load would tend to roll forward as I am rolling it over the step...
    Can the Escalera brake if you lower the feet as when you are coming down the steps?

Escalera sells edge brakes which may be useful in your case. Basically the dolly can't roll off the edge. Expensive though. look at their website for more info. I'm sure wherever you get your dolly from can order the brakes for you.

http://www.staircat.com/prices/index.htm

It's called Step Edge Detection system. SED-1.

#296 2 years ago

perfect, this will solve my issue then...

I don’t think you understand how it works. Those little feet are what gets you up and down the steps and can’t be used as brakes at that particular time.

#304 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

? You put the lifters into the ground.. they will keep the cart from moving.

Yes they will.

I am saying you can't use them as brakes when you are going up or down stairs. It's the lifters that make it happen. They cycle round and round. Come over to my house and I'll show you!

#305 2 years ago

anybody with experience using this on a staircase with a landing and a 180 turn... I know this is not ideal, obviously, but this is what I got inside the house...
    I think that because of this, I would probably be leaning towards the 66" version, as it will allow for more maneuverability...
    I am not sure if I have enough space to allow for that inclination needed as I reach the landing... I think it is tight...
    Any experiences?

If you go with the removable forklift version it's only available in 66". I've used the forklift way more than the stair climbing capability.

180deg turn may be complicated depending if you have enough room to pivot the machine/dolly. The dolly is no bigger than a regular one so if you can make the turn with a regular dolly you will be ok with the escalera.

#307 2 years ago

Pin_Fandango

If you're curious about the attachments I have most and you can come over to see/try. Electric forklift, big wheels, big toe plate, lift plate, and pinball plate.

#323 2 years ago
    Quoted from LitzDoc:

Yes they can be added. I added it to my Escalera. It gives me piece of mind. I did it after I was going out to the garage down 3 steps with Fun House. The weight shift took me by surprise and sent me flying head over heels ( fully airborne upside down) onto the garage floor. I felt like a stunt man. I did not get hurt at all thankfully. Ordered it that week. The problem stemmed from not seeing the first step accurately and sliding down 2 steps at once and the weight shift forward. The pin was shaken but not damaged. It I were at the top of the basement stairs the outcome would have been drastically different. Be careful out there.

Reminds me of my first time down the stairs. Had a still in the box NIB on the dolly. Last 3 steps were out-of-control just bouncing down. Scary and glad it was only 3 steps. I didn't get airborne though as once the box hit the floor things just stopped. No damage but made me be more vigilant with how much slant I have on the dolly in the stairs. I had it leaned back a lot to prevent the weight shift forward. Unfortunately I had it back too much which is why the wheels just skipped down the stairs.

I am about to order the edge brakes. Had another issue this week where they would have been extremely useful.

1 month later
    #336 2 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

I just picked up a used Escalera for very cheap, "as-is" of course though, and even though it's in fine condition "as-is" expected, I'm not getting any action from this thing. I feel like there's probably not a lot to go wrong but maybe someone can help me troubleshoot? I'm measuring about 9.5V off the battery which does not appear to be charging with the supplied charger (the charging light never lights up). Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? It appears to be similar to the current version but the wiring is white/black instead of red/black.

First things first. Your battery is dead. I don't think you have the current smart charger that comes with the escalera now, which can sometimes save over discharged batteries. However at 9.5v it's too late.

You need to replace the battery (and make sure your charger is OK). With a fully charged battery you can then proceed to sort out other issues.

Just remember these lead-acid (gel) batteries need to be charged every time you use the dolly. They do not do well if they get over discharged or are left sitting at a lower voltage than fully charged.

#339 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Nothing special about the charger - can use any battery charger designed to work with the correct sized sealed battery. Same with the battery, it's about using a sealed (because you move it around.. the gel batteries are preferred) and one that easily fits on the shelf. Otherwise, you can pretty much use whatever you see fit.

The charger is pretty good I've used it to "rescue" other batteries. It certainly doesn't have to be this specific one.

2 months later
    #360 2 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Yeah, that's just insane. Manufacturers have really abandoned the "Utility" portion of the SUV.
    Chris

When I shopped for a 2022 Tucson in June I brought the measuring tape since I know the model changed this year. Wanted to make sure it could fit a folded pin. Fits no problem according to my measurements. However getting the car is a whole other problem. At first they said "it's on the ship you'll have it in Aug". Then of course a few weeks ago they went "Oh no it's not built yet. You SHOULD get it in Nov". Uggh.

1 week later
    #368 2 years ago

Best investment ever for me.

2 weeks later
    #373 2 years ago

It’s all on their website. Flipnoutpinball.com

7 months later
    #399 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Does anyone know the max weight of the pinball plate? I just got a p3 which I guess is close to 360-370 lbs, not sure if it can hold it?

I’ve lifted my WOZ with the plate. About same weight. If the head is up then the machine will want to tip back so be prepared.

I put a solid wood board at the tip of the plate so it doesn’t put all the pressure on the bottom of the cab near the speaker. With the board it lifts from the bottom of the sides.

#402 1 year ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

The forklift is good for 1200 lbs. The plate distributes the weight evenly over the forks so the plate will not be an issue. Using the pinball plate and lifting the game from the bottom does put all the weight on the bottom board but I've never heard of an issue doing that.

On my STTNG it popped the cabinet speaker spacer. This is why I spread the load on the cab sides now.

1 week later
    #411 1 year ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Had an Escalera but was able to pick up a Wesco stairking DC-66.... Its a much sturdier, more powerful, quieter unit with an industrial grade gear box and 1/2 HP motor
    But then again it twice the $$$$.

The Wesco may be twice the $$$$ but it’s also almost just half the capacity. How is this sturdier??.

#427 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

With a lot of hard work. We use a regular dolly to strap the pin in and give us some handles. As we get to the corner, the pin needs to go more vertical than usual on the dolly.
    Going down is MUCH easier than going up, of course.
    Wider bodies are a bit more painful (and generally need to go even more vertical - have moved Road Show and Demo Man successfully)
    Doing one machine is doable, then I/we call it a day (I’m 52 years old). For the MGC last November, I re-hired the guys that moved me into the house to move them up, then back down, because I was moving 7 machines at that time. They didn’t use a dolly on the stairs, but they’re younger, stronger and in better shape than me (and my buddies).
    I’ve seen the Escalera in action at my old house (with straight stairs) and am basically looking for a way to make it work at this house, because I was thoroughly impressed.
    Jeff

FWIW I have gone up and down curved stairs with an Escalera. Helped my buddy move a washer dryer in/out of his house.

#429 1 year ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

I don't think it would handle the turn well. Only one foot would grab most likely assuming both wheels are on the tread.

I was getting both feet to grab. Obviously one was close to the edge but still solid. Have you actually tried it(with something lighter than a pin for testing)?

Oh and yes it needs to be almost vertical. A buddy on the low side to support really helps.

3 months later
    #455 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

When using the pinball plate on the forks, do the machines rest on the plywood edges (the wood with the cabinet art), or do the machines rest of the particle board bottom? Sometimes i do not trust those particle board floors, I've seen them bust out before.

Both. Front is on plywood, back rests on bottom. I use a piece if 1x3 at the end of the plate (once slid under) to distribute the weight on the plywood sides. I did pop a cab speaker mounting plate off the board once due to the pressure applied on the bottom. Used 1x3 since then. It was a STTNG.

1 week later
    #462 1 year ago

I have the one with the removeable lift attachment so mine is 66”.

I have pretty much all the attachments including the electric forklift. I’d say the order of usefulness is as follows (for me anyway):
    Additional retractable Straps (2)
    Forklift
    Big Wheel
    Step edge detection
    Pinball plate (for forklift)
    Large toeplate
    Regular lift plate(forklift)

I have had a few incidents where the dolly bounced through a few steps out of control. The step edge brake is so awesome but so stupidly expensive. However in the end I decided a few hundred for that was better than thousands in damage to either the house/stairs/game if I lose control on the steps.

#464 1 year ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

Step edge detection looks awesome!

I am amazed how well it works TBH.

3 weeks later
    #470 1 year ago

What beelzeboob said ^^^^^^^^

I still get an occasional 1-step slippage but it's rare. I move all my games in/out by myself with no spotter. I will get a spotter for my P3 when it arrives however since it's well over 400lbs.

I did splurge on the "Step-edge-detection" (SED) system. My back is problematic, and it just gives me that extra safety factor when moving the games.

I have the removable forklift version and although more expensive, I've used the forklift feature almost as much as the stair climbing feature. I use the forklift to set up/break down my games (getting the legs on), moving them in/out of their spot with the pinball plate, as well as lifting my ATV, lawn mower, snow blower, etc, up to eye height to work on them (Forks can lift 1200 lbs).

#480 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

Wow, that's a brilliant design.

Yes and I love it on mine. Also helps with avoiding slippage back down on the way up the stairs.

3 weeks later
    #488 1 year ago

Big wheels are awesome. I use them all the time to jump door sills but also just moving the machine around. It makes the dolly sit at 45 degrees and no weight to carry at all while moving games.

#496 1 year ago

Thank you for helping explain. With the big wheels on, I am unable to get the Escalera to pivot at enough of an angle for the stairclimbing feet to catch anything. I am trying to get the Escalera to lift up to the sill before trying to get over the threshold. I only played with it for a couple minutes so I'll practice more tomorrow.
    [quoted image]

You can’t use the stair climbing function with the big wheels. You should be able to just tilt back into the house with the weight on the big wheels.

1 month later
    #500 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bluthgg:

About to pull the trigger on my own after borrowing one for some time. On the fence about the edge detection system (the one I’m borrowing doesn’t have it). For those that have it - can’t live without it? Or nice to have. My stairs are mostly carpet.

Could you live without it? Sure. I've had a few instances where without it I had 1-2 step skip/bounce. Happens when you land too close to the edge and the dolly drops to the next step down. It can start a chain reaction where you would bounce every step down until you hit the floor. Not a fun feeling as your are in for the ride. This is a risk every time you move something excessively heavy (think JJP, P3, etc) as you lean the dolly slightly further back to avoid getting pulled over on the way down. The increased angle puts the wheels really close to the edge as you do down.

Luckily in my case it was always at the bottom of the stairs. With the SED system this skipping has never happened. It's just a level of added safety especially if you always move your games alone like I do.

I recommend it if the price is acceptable to you.

#504 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bluthgg:

Thank you! Does it just add additional bulk to the back of the escalera or just the sides? I have limited space on the landing that I need to turn for the stairs so just making sure it doesn’t add too much additional heft. The video from staircat just shows it from the sides but says there is a bar in the back to engage it?
    Edit - I rewatched the video and looks like it’s just on the sides/wheels.

It makes the frame as wide as the toe plate. The top of both sides has a metal toggle that you pull back with your foot to engage the system.

5B7F9E10-5C35-4D0E-B6AA-BB3E3A2F257D (resized).jpeg5B7F9E10-5C35-4D0E-B6AA-BB3E3A2F257D (resized).jpegB7B71292-F71C-40D2-80EC-327A11FA3F9A (resized).jpegB7B71292-F71C-40D2-80EC-327A11FA3F9A (resized).jpeg
    2 months later
    #515 1 year ago

When you receive the step edge detector, write how easy or difficult it is to install. I had an Escalera tech tell me that they recommend installing it themselves rather than me, so I'm not sure how finicky it is to install.

It is not hard at all I did it a few years ago.

9 months later
    #569 78 days ago

It would be nice if the battery could be upgraded to a lithium one.
    Has anyone done this?

Been thinking about it. You'd likely need a high discharge rate battery/batteries. You'd also need a voltage based cut-off circuit. LIPOs tend to explode/catch fire when over-discharged.

#572 77 days ago
    Quoted from PlanetExpress:

Direct replacement 12v batteries are produced, but expensive. https://antigravitybatteries.com/

Meh. It’s only $1kUSD for a 12V battery…

2 weeks later
    #582 59 days ago
    Quoted from marioparty34:

Does anyone have a "fast charge" solution? Please check my math...if the battery is 12v @ 18A and the charger that comes with it outputs at 12V @ .8A, that means from 0 amps, it would take 22.5 hours to completely charge? Is anyone using a charger than can output more that .8A/hr?
    I am not an electricity guy, so I may be way off in my thinking. Please correct me if so.

It doesn’t really matter. The battery is lead acid. This means you MUST charge it every time you use it otherwise it’ll die very quickly and not hold a charge anymore.

Also, by being lead acid, if you drain it fully you basically kill the battery. It’ll never hold a full charge.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrMikeman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-powered-stair-climber-hand-truck-ok-for-nice-wood-stairs?tu=MrMikeman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.