(Topic ID: 270835)

Escalera Powered Stair Climber information thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 595 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by P1nhead
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RLA-HC (resized).png
    steps going down (resized).jpg
    steps going up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1345 (resized).jpeg
    20230828_144634_compress99 (resized).jpg
    20230828_144618_compress67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1703 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 595 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 12.
    #401 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Does anyone know the max weight of the pinball plate? I just got a p3 which I guess is close to 360-370 lbs, not sure if it can hold it?

The forklift is good for 1200 lbs. The plate distributes the weight evenly over the forks so the plate will not be an issue. Using the pinball plate and lifting the game from the bottom does put all the weight on the bottom board but I've never heard of an issue doing that.

#402 1 year ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

The forklift is good for 1200 lbs. The plate distributes the weight evenly over the forks so the plate will not be an issue. Using the pinball plate and lifting the game from the bottom does put all the weight on the bottom board but I've never heard of an issue doing that.

On my STTNG it popped the cabinet speaker spacer. This is why I spread the load on the cab sides now.

#403 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

On my STTNG it popped the cabinet speaker spacer. This is why I spread the load on the cab sides now.

I can see that happening. The bottom flexed and popped the glue seal for the spacer. I've used it a bunch and never experienced any issues. I agree the stronger way is from the side so you get better support and not depending on the bottom board but the cabinet itself.

#404 1 year ago

Going along with my last post I wonder if people know why there are two 3/8 inch holes toward the front of the Pinball Plate? They are there so that you can take a 2x4, drill two holes in it and counter sink the heads. Then place two bolts in the wood holes long enough to go through the wood and the plate and then place it across the plate using the holes to locate it and hold it in place. Don't even need to bolt it in place. The length of the 2x4 can be cut so it lands just outside the cabinet sides or just inside the sides, your choice. This helps to counteract the machine leaning back if picked up from the front. It also can alleviate the concern of putting all the weight on the bottom only. Hope that makes sense

Larry

#405 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Just FYI - I replaced the climbing feet on my 72" model for <$50 by ordering parts right from Escalera. Online and other folks wanted $80-$100.

Handtrucks2go prices are wack! Just went through this myself.

#406 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Handtrucks2go prices are wack! Just went through this myself.

I did the same replacement a few years ago and just emailed Zach from flip n out. Shipped fast and cheaper than anywhere else I saw.

#407 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I did the same replacement a few years ago and just emailed Zach from flip n out. Shipped fast and cheaper than anywhere else I saw.

He wanted $80 plus shipping (on par with online retailers)

From Escalera I paid $40 + $18.80 for shipping.

#408 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

He wanted $80 plus shipping (on par with online retailers)
    From Escalera I paid $40 + $18.80 for shipping.

Hm just looked back at my email. It was 2019 but it was 39.99 and 7.50 shipping form Zach. Interesting it would double in 3 years but everything else is crazy ha.

#409 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Just FYI - I replaced the climbing feet on my 72" model for <$50 by ordering parts right from Escalera. Online and other folks wanted $80-$100.

How difficult and how long did it take to change the feet out?

I use my escalera on a curved stair case exclusively, and one of the feet is slightly higher offset than the other. Can I readjust or do I need new feet and new chains?

#410 1 year ago

Had an Escalera but was able to pick up a Wesco stairking DC-66.... Its a much sturdier, more powerful, quieter unit with an industrial grade gear box and 1/2 HP motor

But then again it twice the $$$$.

#411 1 year ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Had an Escalera but was able to pick up a Wesco stairking DC-66.... Its a much sturdier, more powerful, quieter unit with an industrial grade gear box and 1/2 HP motor
    But then again it twice the $$$$.

The Wesco may be twice the $$$$ but it’s also almost just half the capacity. How is this sturdier??.

#412 1 year ago
    Quoted from marioparty34:

I use my escalera on a curved stair case exclusively, and one of the feet is slightly higher offset than the other. Can I readjust or do I need new feet and new chains?

If it's just a deformed rubber, you can just loosen the nut and bolt, spin the rubber and retighten. The actual swap is dead easy. It's literally a nut and bolt and washers. If one of the two mounting points are showing higher than the other, you probably have a stretched chain. That is more difficult.

#413 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

If it's just a deformed rubber, you can just loosen the nut and bolt, spin the rubber and retighten. The actual swap is dead easy. It's literally a nut and bolt and washers. If one of the two mounting points are showing higher than the other, you probably have a stretched chain. That is more difficult.

I think I may have a stretched chain. It's maybe half an inch off of each other right now. I can't seem to find any instructions on now to replace. It's still doing it's job, but my OCD is getting the better of me.

#414 1 year ago

The feet are just bolts - it takes just minutes. You just swap the rubber foot - not the bracket on the chain.

I wonder if your chain just is rotated and not aligned to the other. If one chain were stretched, the relative position between the foot on one chain and a foot on the other would change as you keep cycling.

You might just want to pop the chain’s link and reset its position on the spokes

#415 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The feet are just bolts - it takes just minutes. You just swap the rubber foot - not the bracket on the chain.
    I wonder if your chain just is rotated and not aligned to the other. If one chain were stretched, the relative position between the foot on one chain and a foot on the other would change as you keep cycling.
    You might just want to pop the chain’s link and reset its position on the spokes

That makes perfect sense! If I truly had one stretched chain and one non stretched, each cycle would further separate them. Well that greats news then! Perhaps I just need to move one chain a spoke or two.

Are there any online instructions on how to do that?

#416 1 year ago

That makes perfect sense! If I truly had one stretched chain and one non stretched, each cycle would further separate them. Well that greats news then! Perhaps I just need to move one chain a spoke or two.
    Are there any online instructions on how to do that?

Its just like all chains afaik… a link with a clip to free

#417 1 year ago

Curious, does anyone know how much Escalara charges for their "big wheel " setup?

#418 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Curious, does anyone know how much Escalara charges for their "big wheel " setup?

http://www.staircat.com/prices/index.htm

$213 according to that but you could always call them. FlipNOut has them listed at $209.

#419 1 year ago
    Quoted from newovad:

http://www.staircat.com/prices/index.htm
    $213 according to that but you could always call them. FlipNOut has them listed at $209.

Thanks! Is that direct through them or is Staircat a reseller?

#420 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Thanks! Is that direct through them or is Staircat a reseller?

That link comes from escalera.com. Staircat is the actual name of what we all call the Escalera around here.

When you click on the Learn More from their site, it takes you to staircat.com.

StairCat (resized).pngStairCat (resized).png
    #421 1 year ago

StairCat would be a much better product name than the Spanish word for "ladder".

Searching for "Escalera" on Craigslist or eBay was frustrating when I was searching for one.

#422 1 year ago

Worked out just fine for the p3 machine man that thing is a solid beast

224424BF-A9C6-46A6-8390-2D60F11F7755 (resized).jpeg224424BF-A9C6-46A6-8390-2D60F11F7755 (resized).jpegD005EB34-D579-4D62-A540-A5CA687961A4 (resized).jpegD005EB34-D579-4D62-A540-A5CA687961A4 (resized).jpeg
    #423 1 year ago

Ok, my buddy has an escalera, but it won’t currently work in my basement due to these stairs.
    Any suggestions on how I might be able to make it work?
    I was thinking about creating some temporary step changers to make the flat parts larger, and possibly making some of the steps taller. Anyone know if this might work, and/or what the tallest step is that an Escalera can handle?

Thanks,
    Jeff

DDFA8C72-0ECA-4D7A-B4A0-4D62B5F28A25 (resized).jpegDDFA8C72-0ECA-4D7A-B4A0-4D62B5F28A25 (resized).jpeg
    #424 1 year ago

Those are awful stairs. You probably need to make a longer landing with whichever stair is straight and even. Then, turn 90 degrees. The leftover stairs would need to be changed accordingly. The Escalera website says it can climb a 10 inch curb but I don't see any other max height given.

Awful (resized).pngAwful (resized).png

#425 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

Ok, my buddy has an escalera, but it won’t currently work in my basement due to these stairs.
    I was thinking about creating some temporary step changers to make the flat parts larger, and possibly making some of the steps taller. Anyone know if this might work, and/or what the tallest step is that an Escalera can handle?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    [quoted image]

How do you get pins down there now?

#426 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

How do you get pins down there now?

With a lot of hard work. We use a regular dolly to strap the pin in and give us some handles. As we get to the corner, the pin needs to go more vertical than usual on the dolly.
    Going down is MUCH easier than going up, of course.
    Wider bodies are a bit more painful (and generally need to go even more vertical - have moved Road Show and Demo Man successfully)

Doing one machine is doable, then I/we call it a day (I’m 52 years old). For the MGC last November, I re-hired the guys that moved me into the house to move them up, then back down, because I was moving 7 machines at that time. They didn’t use a dolly on the stairs, but they’re younger, stronger and in better shape than me (and my buddies).

I’ve seen the Escalera in action at my old house (with straight stairs) and am basically looking for a way to make it work at this house, because I was thoroughly impressed.

Jeff

#427 1 year ago

With a lot of hard work. We use a regular dolly to strap the pin in and give us some handles. As we get to the corner, the pin needs to go more vertical than usual on the dolly.
    Wider bodies are a bit more painful (and generally need to go even more vertical - have moved Road Show and Demo Man successfully)
    Doing one machine is doable, then I/we call it a day (I’m 52 years old). For the MGC last November, I re-hired the guys that moved me into the house to move them up, then back down, because I was moving 7 machines at that time. They didn’t use a dolly on the stairs, but they’re younger, stronger and in better shape than me (and my buddies).
    I’ve seen the Escalera in action at my old house (with straight stairs) and am basically looking for a way to make it work at this house, because I was thoroughly impressed.
    Jeff

FWIW I have gone up and down curved stairs with an Escalera. Helped my buddy move a washer dryer in/out of his house.

#428 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

FWIW I have gone up and down curved stairs with an Escalera. Helped my buddy move a washer dryer in/out of his house.

I don't think it would handle the turn well. Only one foot would grab most likely assuming both wheels are on the tread.

#429 1 year ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

I don't think it would handle the turn well. Only one foot would grab most likely assuming both wheels are on the tread.

I was getting both feet to grab. Obviously one was close to the edge but still solid. Have you actually tried it(with something lighter than a pin for testing)?

Oh and yes it needs to be almost vertical. A buddy on the low side to support really helps.

#430 1 year ago

Thanks,
    Jeff
    [quoted image]

Your issue is really the size of the landing on each step. The shallower the step, the more upright the cart has to be and greater risk of going off the step or being pulled over by the weight.

Your experience with a dolly is going to be basically the same. The biggest risk is you can’t easily balance the load if the cart can’t lean back.

The wall is your limiting factor on the turn… your steps are straight so you can square up to each no problem as long as the game doesn’t hit the wall.

You have to have a landing for each climb. It can not climb step to step continuous. So I don’t think you have a lot of options for modification here. I think your clearance to the wall is gour biggest limitation

#431 1 year ago

What are folks buying in terms of Escalaras for normal applications? And by normal i mean straight stairs. It looks like the MS-1-66 would be the one. I’m kinda sick of muscling pins in and out on a cheap hand truck. Plus the stair runners just end up damaging the edges of my steps.

I have a walk-up basement with 7 concrete steps that are quite wide, leading through french doors to a solid surface floor. I’m not sure i need any accessories, I don’t need to traverse any grass or rough terrain which is where the big wheel attachment could be useful. Not sure if the bigger pin plate is needed.

9 pages in this thread full of great info i’m sure. Just didn’t feel like reading 430 posts… so thanks for reanswering a question that’s probably been asked several times already

#432 1 year ago
    Quoted from Completist:

What are folks buying in terms of Escalaras for normal applications? And by normal i mean straight stairs. It looks like the MS-1-66 would be the one. I’m kinda sick of muscling pins in and out on a cheap hand truck. Plus the stair runners just end up damaging the edges of my steps.
    I have a walk-up basement with 7 concrete steps that are quite wide, leading through french doors to a solid surface floor. I’m not sure i need any accessories, I don’t need to traverse any grass or rough terrain which is where the big wheel attachment could be useful. Not sure if the bigger pin plate is needed.
    9 pages in this thread full of great info i’m sure. Just didn’t feel like reading 430 posts… so thanks for reanswering a question that’s probably been asked several times already

66 or 72 inch model… big wheel attachment… charger… and thats it. Can easily use ratchet straps for extra straps without dealing with the add ons

Big wheel is useful even if not rough ground because it lets you roll it without holding the weight

#433 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

66 or 72 inch model… big wheel attachment… charger… and thats it. Can easily use ratchet straps for extra straps without dealing with the add ons
    Big wheel is useful even if not rough ground because it lets you roll it without holding the weight

Ah ok, i see how those would be useful then. Thanks.

#434 1 year ago

Jeff

The Escalera Staircat essentially has the same footprint as a regular handtruck so I don’t think that would be an issue. And going up would be much easier if it works. You’d just squared up the dolly to each new step. The Escalera lifts and goes up-down more vertically than sliding on a regular handtruck anyway.

If you can get games up and down with a regular handtruck I think the Staircat would work. It may be best to borrow one from someone first to make sure. I know Poor Man’s Podcast Drew just got one and is in your area maybe see if he can loan it to ya for a weekend.

#435 1 year ago
    Quoted from Completist:

90% of the time we sell people the standard 66” Staircat. It’s what I use. The most used accessories are the Big Wheels Attachment and the Magnum Crossgrip Handle.

#436 1 year ago

Correction on my current process with a standard dolly…it’s been a while since I’ve personally moved a machine up the stairs:

From the floor, we dolly it up to step #2. These are straight rolls for the wheels.
    Rolling up the next few steps forces a turn on the machine because the steps are turning. As I recall, these turns don’t really correspond with the available space for a big machine on the dolly (or maybe they just don’t keep us in the center of the steps - don’t really recall).
    So from step #2 to about step #6 (so for the next 4 steps or so) we have to carry the machine, more vertically than normal, and gradually turn it 90 degrees.
    Once we get to about step #6 or so, the steps are straight again, so we set it down, rest a moment, and go back to standard dolly rolling.

This is why I was thinking about doing a temporary “restructuring” of the steps that might allow more dolly usage, and thought if that works, can I do it so my buddy’s Escalera could be used?

Just not sure how realistic this idea is…

Jeff

1C21A89D-AE3A-4D32-A01F-18964512ED0C (resized).jpeg1C21A89D-AE3A-4D32-A01F-18964512ED0C (resized).jpeg
    #437 1 year ago

How tall of a stair can the 66” staircat climb? I’m looking at houses that have the diagonal stair at a turn where I could build a triangular piece to make it flat, but it would double the height of the stair.

#438 1 year ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

How tall of a stair can the 66” staircat climb? I’m looking at houses that have the diagonal stair at a turn where I could build a triangular piece to make it flat, but it would double the height of the stair.

About 12"

#439 1 year ago

Not sure if a lectro truck would help in this situation either. The entry model has a 33" lift height, not sure if that would allow you to go 2 stairs in certain cases and make angling easier or not.

#440 1 year ago

Escalera says only 10" lift

#441 1 year ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

Escalera says only 10" lift

That's probably more accurate as I measured mine standing vertically - 12" is theoretically possible, but would be hecka hard to hold onto.

#442 1 year ago
    Quoted from JONESDS:

Not sure if a lectro truck would help in this situation either. The entry model has a 33" lift height, not sure if that would allow you to go 2 stairs in certain cases and make angling easier or not.

I have an Ultra Lift which is similar to the lectro truck and it has a 36" lift height. One of it's accessories is a landing extender.
    PXL_20220630_162934508 (resized).jpgPXL_20220630_162934508 (resized).jpg
    It probably wouldn't work on your curved staircase but I could see making something similar.

#443 1 year ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Quoted from newovad:

Those are awful stairs. You probably need to make a longer landing with whichever stair is straight and even. Then, turn 90 degrees. The leftover stairs would need to be changed accordingly. The Escalera website says it can climb a 10 inch curb but I don't see any other max height given.

Some days I feel like I'm screaming into the void.

#444 1 year ago
    Quoted from newovad:

Some days I feel like I'm screaming into the void.

Not screaming into the void...

The Escalera can't do it but some others probably could.

#445 1 year ago

Thanks for the input.
    I’ll do some math on the 10” lift for the Escalera and see if I can come up with anything. It might take a while.
    I used to have a Lectro Truck (bought it at MGC) but after I moved, I couldn’t figure a way to make it work on my curved stairs, so I sold it. If I can come up with something for the Escalera, it might’ve also worked for the Lectro Truck.

Jeff

1 week later
    #446 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

The Wesco may be twice the $$$$ but it’s also almost just half the capacity. How is this sturdier??.

Thats because when I bought mine the original Wesco Dc 66 was a dual chain rated at 850 lbs.

The Escalera was made in a single chain Ms60/66/ and 72 rated at 700 lbs. The single chain had a lot more side to side flex.

2 weeks later
    #447 1 year ago

Just picked up a 72” Escalera that came with the load balancing wheel kit and the big wheel kit. Any feedback from those who’ve used both as to which is most useful for pinball machines? I know I’ll want the big wheel kit if I need to go off pavement, but how about for just moving machines around the house? Also, is it worth adding the 12”x28” plate or the 12”x32” one, or just stick with the stock one?

453A0ACF-1A54-4DF2-8E22-09F10E726274 (resized).jpeg453A0ACF-1A54-4DF2-8E22-09F10E726274 (resized).jpeg
    #448 1 year ago
    Quoted from PlanetExpress:

Any feedback from those who’ve used both as to which is most useful for pinball machines?

I don't have an Escalara, just a regular two wheeler appliance dolly.

I like the big wheels all the time. Easy to pull the handles back and move on any surface. Easy to go up and down on a curb or single stair. The small wheels are kind of okay for a hard flat surface. Or to rest the cart if you have it balanced on the big wheels and small wheels.

You can raise and lower the big wheels to what works best for you. If they hold air, check the tire pressure occasionally.

LTG : )

#449 1 year ago

I’ve never needed a bigger toe plate for pins.

Big wheel is always an on and off thing because you can’t use it and climb the the same time. You get good with speed as you do it more.

The big wheel is nice for keeping loads already tilted back… but I don’t have the load balancer to compare.

#450 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I’ve never needed a bigger toe plate for pins.
    Big wheel is always an on and off thing because you can’t use it and climb the the same time. You get good with speed as you do it more.
    The big wheel is nice for keeping loads already tilted back… but I don’t have the load balancer to compare.

Good to know, thanks! I’ll reserve the big wheels for off pavement, as the load balancing wheels fold to allow for stair climbing, then you can flip them out again with your foot to hold the unit.

There are 595 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-powered-stair-climber-hand-truck-ok-for-nice-wood-stairs/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.