(Topic ID: 270835)

Escalera Powered Stair Climber information thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 595 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by P1nhead
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RLA-HC (resized).png
    steps going down (resized).jpg
    steps going up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1345 (resized).jpeg
    20230828_144634_compress99 (resized).jpg
    20230828_144618_compress67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1703 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 595 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 12.
    #351 2 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Wow! Figured it would fit in the Tahoe.

I know what do i do! stupid, Useless truck!

#352 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

what year?

The tahoe is exact same truck as the suburban except in length. I put pins in there all the time. What wouldn't fit though was stern pins with the head at the wrong end.. I had to remove a head to fit two stern games in the back. (not advised )

#353 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:what year?
    The tahoe is exact same truck as the suburban except in length. I put pins in there all the time. What wouldn't fit though was stern pins with the head at the wrong end.. I had to remove a head to fit two stern games in the back. (not advised )

Its a 2015, do you think if I turn it around it will fit? I haven't tried that. Maybe I can leave the trunk open Im just transporting a few blocks down the street to my parents house.

#354 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Its a 2015, do you think if I turn it around it will fit? I haven't tried that. Maybe I can leave the trunk open Im just transporting a few blocks down the street to my parents house.

It looks like the difference is your seats are folded down for the space? There appears to be some ledge you are sitting on? Mine is the previous gen (2013). 2015 is first year of the redo I think. My back seats come out

The reason I had to take the head off was fitting the games side by side... they can't sit opposite each other and still fit due to the angle of the body.

#355 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It looks like the difference is your seats are folded down for the space? There appears to be some ledge you are sitting on? Mine is the previous gen (2013). 2015 is first year of the redo I think. My back seats come out
    The reason I had to take the head off was fitting the games side by side... they can't sit opposite each other and still fit due to the angle of the body.

Ah gotcha yeah my seats don’t come out and the ledge is not movable oh well time to call pinkitten luckily he lives nearby !
    Thanks guys

1 week later
    #356 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I saw in the "vehicles a game will fit in" thread that the Tahoe and Suburban will no longer hold a folded pin, blew my mind as I would never has suspected that.

#357 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I saw in the "vehicles a game will fit in" thread that the Tahoe and Suburban will no longer hold a folded pin, blew my mind as I would never has suspected that.

Yeah, that's just insane. Manufacturers have really abandoned the "Utility" portion of the SUV.

Chris

#358 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Wow, I would’ve automatically assumed those trucks were good to go.

We have a 2018 Grand Cherokee and I can barely fit a modern Stern in there, only wrapped in cellophane, no blankets.

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Also, I have read you should load a pin coin door first in an SUV. Loading it rear end first makes it a bitch to remove. Again, I have only read that, but it makes sense if you have foldable read seats and the bottom of the truck isn’t completely flat like a cargo van/mini van.

#359 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Quoted from evileye:

Wow, I would’ve automatically assumed those trucks were good to go.
    We have a 2018 Grand Cherokee and I can barely fit a modern Stern in there, only wrapped in cellophane, no blankets.

Also, I have read you should load a pin coin door first in an SUV. Loading it rear end first makes it a bitch to remove. Again, I have only read that, but it makes sense if you have foldable read seats and the bottom of the truck isn’t completely flat like a cargo van/mini van.

Yeah I gave up it will not fit in the newer Tahoes. My friend Pinkitten was willing to come in 5 minutes to help me transport it, but my parents house is about one mile away, so I just loaded it up on my Escalera and took it for a 1.0 mile walk down the road.. worked out fine!

HEres me pushing it, problem is stupid potholes in Michigan are bad.

IMG_4820 (resized).jpegIMG_4820 (resized).jpeg
    #360 2 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Yeah, that's just insane. Manufacturers have really abandoned the "Utility" portion of the SUV.
    Chris

When I shopped for a 2022 Tucson in June I brought the measuring tape since I know the model changed this year. Wanted to make sure it could fit a folded pin. Fits no problem according to my measurements. However getting the car is a whole other problem. At first they said "it's on the ship you'll have it in Aug". Then of course a few weeks ago they went "Oh no it's not built yet. You SHOULD get it in Nov". Uggh.

#361 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Yeah I gave up it will not fit in the newer Tahoes. My friend Pinkitten was willing to come in 5 minutes to help me transport it, but my parents house is about one mile away, so I just loaded it up on my Escalera and took it for a 1.0 mile walk down the road.. worked out fine!
    HEres me pushing it, problem is stupid potholes in Michigan are bad.[quoted image]

Say What?? Assume this is a joke, you actually Walked a pin a mile down the road? lol

#362 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Say What?? Assume this is a joke, you actually Walked a pin a mile down the road? lol

Yeah it worked out fine ! Had the big wheel attachment . Lots of mosquitoes and pot holes though

#364 2 years ago

My Escelera got a work out and pretty much paid for itself this past weekend. Moved 9 pins including WOZ and STTNG up one set of concrete steps and into a Uhaul truck. 14 hour drive then up one small set of paver steps followed by one flight of wood ones. I did have a little help for when needed but no way would I have able to do that with a regular hand truck anymore.

#365 2 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

My Escelera got a work out and pretty much paid for itself this past weekend. Moved 9 pins including WOZ and STTNG up one set of concrete steps and into a Uhaul truck. 14 hour drive then up one small set of paver steps followed by one flight of wood ones. I did have a little help for when needed but no way would I have able to do that with a regular hand truck anymore.

I feel you! Moved two pins I sold out of my basement two weeks ago, brought a new one in, and then my buddy borrowed my escalara to move a few games around his house. Oh, also helped a neighbor move a new fridge in ha!

#366 2 years ago

Have a new battery coming today for my escalera. It was working pretty slowly on my last game move even though it came right off the charger.

#367 2 years ago

Excited to get my escalera. Ordered the first week of August so I’m expecting it should be here in the next month. Ha, I have 15 steps I have to get past to move any pin in or out so it should be a huge help.

#368 2 years ago

Best investment ever for me.

#369 2 years ago

Saw this yesterday....

20210929_125223 (resized).jpg20210929_125223 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #370 2 years ago

FYI Escalera will be at IAPPA this year with a booth. The show starts on 11/16. Stop by at booth 2027 in the Game and Arcade Pavillion.

Larry

1 week later
    #371 2 years ago

CHICAGO PINBALL EXPO SHOW SPECIAL

We will be offering a Show Special on Escalera Stairclimbing Handtrucks this year.

- Preorder Now For Show Pickup
    - No Waiting Typical 8-10 Weeks
    - No Shipping Charges (approx. $200-300 savings)
    - FREE Installed Magnum Crossgrip Handle (approx. $150 savings)
    - Big Wheels Attachment Available As Well

Email Us To Reserve Yours TODAY!

[email protected]

3874A36A-8F00-4BCD-B78D-C0A97C02109D (resized).jpeg3874A36A-8F00-4BCD-B78D-C0A97C02109D (resized).jpeg
    #373 2 years ago

It’s all on their website. Flipnoutpinball.com

#375 2 years ago

Highly recommend getting the pinball plate attachment too

1 week later
    #376 2 years ago

Took my jetsons for a jog this nice cool autumn morning with my escalera to my parents house , got it in their basement before they even woke up and poof I’m gone ! Mission success
    Thanks escalera

3C3DFA08-6E76-4C5E-8FC9-AC7E812B2DC2 (resized).jpeg3C3DFA08-6E76-4C5E-8FC9-AC7E812B2DC2 (resized).jpeg573FE429-30FA-4252-82EA-1A7528135CF2 (resized).jpeg573FE429-30FA-4252-82EA-1A7528135CF2 (resized).jpeg
    #377 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Took my jetsons for a jog this nice cool autumn morning with my escalera to my parents house , got it in their basement before they even woke up and poof I’m gone ! Mission success
    Thanks escalera
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Very very cool! I love attaching those big wheels and just taking pins on a stroll. Too easy

#378 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Very very cool! I love attaching those big wheels and just taking pins on a stroll. Too easy

Lol. There’s always “that” guy in the neighborhood.

#379 2 years ago

Does anyone know if you can buy Escalera somewhere in Europe?

#380 2 years ago

I used mine and the big wheel attachment to move this beast a few days ago, what a life saver!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    6 months later
    #381 1 year ago

Hey all. I'm looking at buying a house that has the switch back type stair. Has anyone determined the landing width needed to be able to make a turn with the escalera? Kinda sad, but it might be a deal break for me and the house, but I'm not sure how much of a landing I need.

Thanks for any help!

#382 1 year ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Hey all. I'm looking at buying a house that has the switch back type stair. Has anyone determined the landing width needed to be able to make a turn with the escalera? Kinda sad, but it might be a deal break for me and the house, but I'm not sure how much of a landing I need.
    Thanks for any help!

My pad is 46” wide from the upper step and 52” to the lower step.

Do-able with regular modern pins but you have to do a twist and shuffle when the pin is on it’s butt.

The plutonium caskets are a bitch though…

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg
    #383 1 year ago

I used to curse my 72" model as unnecessarily heavy vs the shorter model... but I've come to conclude the extra length is a blessing. It reduces how far down you need to reach when climbing stairs. In practice you find you need to lay down the load a good bit for the balance point.. and on a set of stairs taller than the load, then means reaching down while you stand on steps above the machine.

Watch videos that only show the machine climbing a few steps vs trying to climb a full half or full story of steps.

Now if the entire thing would weigh 50lbs less I would be so much happier

#384 1 year ago

I'll measure my landing tonight. Mine is just barely too small to be able to take machines down the steps with the backbox on. So every machine has to be split before moving...total pain.

#385 1 year ago

I built a platform that slid in front on the first stair. The extra 8-9 inches was all I needed to make the turn.

#386 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I'll measure my landing tonight. Mine is just barely too small to be able to take machines down the steps with the backbox on. So every machine has to be split before moving...total pain.

This would be very helpful. Thanks!

#387 1 year ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

My pad is 46” wide from the upper step and 52” to the lower step.
    Do-able with regular modern pins but you have to do a twist and shuffle when the pin is on it’s butt.
    The plutonium caskets are a bitch though…
    [quoted image]

Good info. Thanks!

#388 1 year ago

Very interested to hear landing dimensions that are confirmed or too close for comfort.

Also, curious, is it possible to go up a diagonal stair such as this?

IMG_4100 (resized).PNGIMG_4100 (resized).PNG
    #389 1 year ago

These things are great. I'm on my second one. On a related note, how do they fare when they're dropped down the stairs multiple times?

#390 1 year ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

Very interested to hear landing dimensions that are confirmed or too close for comfort.
    Also, curious, is it possible to go up a diagonal stair such as this?
    [quoted image]

For the hand-cart - yes. For that kind of space with a pinball machine on the hand cart? No

The basic constraint is you is the clearance both in front and behind the step. The game sticks out a ton on the cart, and you have the game and hand-cart that must be in front of the step too.

These kinds of questions about an escalera are not really any different from using an appliance hand cart except
    1) it's a bit bigger than a appliance cart so you need a few more inches vs a regular cart
    2) it's way heavier than a hand cart which makes it harder to move/swap positions vs a hand-cart. So in these kind of landing situations, its more difficult to reposition vs a standard cart

So the main question is always clearance. You can navigate steps very narrow.. like 6".. but it's always the space to move the load+cart that is the biggest constraint.

#391 1 year ago

My landing is 36"x36". I have to turn 90 degrees and go down 3 more steps from there. I thought about building a platform for this move, but its more hassle than it's worth in my case. I know at 36", I couldn't set the game down on end with the Escalera strapped to it.

Funny story...I was redoing my interior doors 2 years ago and decided to go to a 32" door to make taking games down intact possible. I opened the wall up and got the new prehung door installed. Next time I took a game down, you can imagine my surprise and choice words when I found the landing was too small!

1 week later
    #392 1 year ago

Can someone explain to me how to adjust (in my case loosen) the chain tension? I thought I found the screw on the bottom of each chain assembly, but it seems impossible to reach with a wrench.

#393 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

an someone explain to me how to adjust (in my case loosen) the chain tension?

Page 5 help ?

https://www.gappower.com/custom/store/pdf?id=2QBBN0CKE45V4SB1

LTG : )

#394 1 year ago

Not really. Once a wrench reaches the vertical adjustment bolt, there is no room to move the wrench.

B020C6EA-8411-4009-850D-5ED79940463D (resized).jpegB020C6EA-8411-4009-850D-5ED79940463D (resized).jpeg
    #395 1 year ago

Socket plus swivel?

#396 1 year ago

This should help. Came out of the Escalera Manual

Larry

Escalera-Hand-Truck-Manual-July-2020 page 16.pdfEscalera-Hand-Truck-Manual-July-2020 page 16.pdf
    #397 1 year ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

This should help. Came out of the Escalera Manual
    Larry
    [quoted image]

Thanks Larry! Pulling the gearbox off probably would've helped, especially since the other chain (not shown in that picture) is even more space restricted. I ended up using a cut down 7/16" wrench (less than 2.75" total length if I had to guess).

1 week later
    #398 1 year ago

Does anyone know the max weight of the pinball plate? I just got a p3 which I guess is close to 360-370 lbs, not sure if it can hold it?

#399 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Does anyone know the max weight of the pinball plate? I just got a p3 which I guess is close to 360-370 lbs, not sure if it can hold it?

I’ve lifted my WOZ with the plate. About same weight. If the head is up then the machine will want to tip back so be prepared.

I put a solid wood board at the tip of the plate so it doesn’t put all the pressure on the bottom of the cab near the speaker. With the board it lifts from the bottom of the sides.

#400 1 year ago

Just FYI - I replaced the climbing feet on my 72" model for <$50 by ordering parts right from Escalera. Online and other folks wanted $80-$100.

There are 595 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-powered-stair-climber-hand-truck-ok-for-nice-wood-stairs/page/8?hl=oneangrymo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.