(Topic ID: 270835)

Escalera Powered Stair Climber information thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 595 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by P1nhead
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RLA-HC (resized).png
    steps going down (resized).jpg
    steps going up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1345 (resized).jpeg
    20230828_144634_compress99 (resized).jpg
    20230828_144618_compress67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1703 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 595 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.
    #251 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I have a similar set-up but mine is 83' x 45". I have a Lectro-Truck and have no issue rotating the dolly on the tile surface taking pins & slots up or down. Worst-case, unstrap the game and slide it over, push it out a bit and put the dolly back in place.
    I've moved NIB Sterns into my basement and did not have to unstrap. But again, my smallest measurement is 45", not 35.

So what happens when the Lectro-Truck pins you against the wall as you get to the top? How heavy is your unit? About the same weight as a new Stern? How much does a Lectro-Truck cost? About twice what an Escalera does? Asking for a friend of course.

#252 3 years ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

So what happens when the Lectro-Truck pins you against the wall as you get to the top? How heavy is your unit? About the same weight as a new Stern? How much does a Lectro-Truck cost? About twice what an Escalera does? Asking for a friend of course.

1. It doesn't. Remember, my landing is 45" deep though.
    2. 85# IIRC. It's the smallest aluminum model. Not their 225# steel monster with a lift capacity of 1500# or so. This one is only rated at 600#. No issue moving 600# gun safes.
    3. IIRC $2200.00 around 2005. Shipping was included as I bought it at an AMOA/ASI show that was held in Chicago that year. Shipping was a show special.

Innovative Moving Systems always has a booth at the operator trade shows. I recall them at AMOA shows in the early '80's and maybe the first one I attended a few years earlier.

Larry, as I told you at one of the Pinball Expos, had I known about the Escalera, I would have bought one. From you if I knew you distributed them back when I needed one.

I have pointed others your way, when you sold Escalara's. Look in your Escalara price increase thread you started four years ago for an example.

1 month later
    #253 3 years ago

Just did my first trip down some stairs with a game. I had my wife spot me but not needed. It is more mental than anything.

1 month later
    #254 2 years ago

Does anybody know where I can order the hard rubber feet (highlighted/circled)?
    Mine are crumbling away
    Rubber_Part (resized).pngRubber_Part (resized).png

#255 2 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Mine are crumbling away
    [quoted image]

I'm fairly certain you have to replace the whole chain assembly. But call escalera and ask them. Their tech support is superb.

#256 2 years ago

How much slack, if any, does everyone have in their chain assembly? I feel like mine has few extra links. I always thought it should be tight like a bicycle.

#257 2 years ago
    Quoted from marioparty34:

How much slack, if any, does everyone have in their chain assembly? I feel like mine has few extra links. I always thought it should be tight like a bicycle.

If anything like dirt bikes, they stretch over time, hence the need to replace once in a while.

#259 2 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Mine are crumbling away
    [quoted image]

Contact escalera, I got mine from them. I am sure Zach at flipnout can get them for you too. Easy to replace.

#260 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm fairly certain you have to replace the whole chain assembly. But call escalera and ask them. Their tech support is superb.

Nope - can get the feet alone direct from escalera

#261 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Nope - can get the feet alone direct from escalera

Fantastic. Is there any way to downvote my own post?

Sorry, boogies ...

#262 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

If anything like dirt bikes, they stretch over time, hence the need to replace once in a while.

Has anyone replaced their chain? Is it difficult to do? How long would you estimate it takes for a semi handy person?

#263 2 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Mine are crumbling away
    [quoted image]

Yep, I had to replace mine maybe a year ago. Just emailed Zach, easy to swap.

#264 2 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Mine are crumbling away

I ordered a set from Zach a year or two ago i think it was like $100 for all four plus hardware.... Just reach out to him. ZMeny

#265 2 years ago

Does anyone have a video or photo on how to use the forklift attachment with a nib machine on the pallet? I want to move it with the pallet but can’t figure out how the forklift goes under the pallet .. me dumb

75C7B098-1AF4-40C0-9D17-7FC2DA9BF519 (resized).jpeg75C7B098-1AF4-40C0-9D17-7FC2DA9BF519 (resized).jpeg
    #266 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Does anyone have a video or photo on how to use the forklift attachment with a nib machine on the pallet? I want to move it with the pallet but can’t figure out how the forklift goes under the pallet .. me dumb[quoted image]

It goes right into the two spaces in the middle of the pallet...not actually under the pallet. (Although I usually just cut the straps, slide the box off, and transport it without the pallet on the big plate attachment. Saves weight that way.)

#267 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Does anyone have a video or photo on how to use the forklift attachment with a nib machine on the pallet? I want to move it with the pallet but can’t figure out how the forklift goes under the pallet .. me dumb[quoted image]

Its not going to work the way you want it to unless you want to pick up the pallet and slide it on the forks because the attachments front wheels are in the way. One use case it will work is when you have a pallet in the back of a pickup truck but thats been about it for me. Big disappointment, I would save your money. Kinda defeats the whole purpose in my mind. If you got yours from someone in the pinball industry they were being disingenuous.

#268 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rhombus:

Its not going to work the way you want it to unless you want to pick up the pallet and slide it on the forks because the attachments front wheels are in the way. One use case it will work is when you have a pallet in the back of a pickup truck but thats been about it for me. Big disappointment, I would save your money. Kinda defeats the whole purpose in my mind. If you got yours from someone in the pinball industry they were being disingenuous.

Well, you can downvote away, but it worked fine for me with my last delivery.

#269 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rhombus:

Thats what I thought. I was like physically looking at the pallet and there is no way. Unless the bottom of the pallet didnt have wood crossing it like this pallet does.

#270 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Thats what I thought. I was like physically looking at the pallet and there is no way. Unless the bottom of the pallet didnt have wood crossing it like this pallet does.

TBH even without the wood crossings it's not really effective because of the size of the pallet. The forks aren't long enough and the pallet will want to tip. I always take off the pallet to move the boxes and I use the lift plate (not the pinball plate - just the regular escalera lift plate).

#271 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Right. Mine didn't have that which is why it worked for me. Didn't know there were different pallets - I missed that class in college.

#272 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Right. Mine didn't have that which is why it worked for me. Didn't know there were different pallets - I missed that class in college.

I think I missed the whole semester of commercial shipping practices because I still get surprised. Unfortunately I haven't had the right kind of pallet yet! 10 NIB and counting including last weeks GnR LE. But like you said, its really just easier to truck the box without the pallet.

#273 2 years ago

Having received many a palletted game I used the Escalera with the fork lift attachment to remove it right off the truck. I had two 4x4 pieces of wood to set it down on so you can get the forks out from under the pallet. The forks are long enough to do this. The forks do not need to go all the way to the other side. If you are uncomfortable with that simply put the strap around the box. Just realize that you cannot raise or lower the game with the strap around the box.

Larry

#274 2 years ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

Having received many a palletted game I used the Escalera with the fork lift attachment to remove it right off the truck. I had two 4x4 pieces of wood to set it down on so you can get the forks out from under the pallet. The forks are long enough to do this. The forks do not need to go all the way to the other side. If you are uncomfortable with that simply put the strap around the box. Just realize that you cannot raise or lower the game with the strap around the box.
    Larry

Wow miss you man! Hope you and the wife are enjoying retirement!!!!

#275 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Wow miss you man! Hope you and the wife are enjoying retirement!!!!

Thanks for that. We are definitely enjoying the beach life. Take care of my crane for me.

Larry

#276 2 years ago

Finally used the pinball plate and forklift while setting up my GNR CE. Worked like a charm to hoist it up while I put legs on

Photo on 4-4-21 at 4.31 PM (resized).jpgPhoto on 4-4-21 at 4.31 PM (resized).jpg
    #277 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Finally used the pinball plate and forklift while setting up my GNR CE. Worked like a charm to hoist it up while I put legs on

That is why I always wanted one with the forklift attachment.

As I'd gotten older, my days of setting them up by myself are over. No more front legs on. Set down. Lift game and support on a knee and put the rear legs on.

LTG : )

#278 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That is why I always wanted one with the forklift attachment.
    As I'd gotten older, my days of setting them up by myself are over. No more front legs on. Set down. Lift game and support on a knee and put the rear legs on.
    LTG : )

Yes this thing was a blessing, I was pleasantly surprised by ease of use , especially sparing my back and knees.

1 week later
    #279 2 years ago

I know there is a lot of info already and very awesome videos but I thought I would contribute my experience today with the pinball plate , instead of using it to set up a machine I used it to dismantle
    This may helpful for newbies

898E6EF3-52CB-4824-8B5A-3CF02D33FCA9 (resized).jpeg898E6EF3-52CB-4824-8B5A-3CF02D33FCA9 (resized).jpeg8471F8E8-667A-480D-9E57-9473BAB836F1 (resized).jpeg8471F8E8-667A-480D-9E57-9473BAB836F1 (resized).jpegBC9324BC-CF55-409F-9B8A-66FA74584FD8 (resized).jpegBC9324BC-CF55-409F-9B8A-66FA74584FD8 (resized).jpeg1ABCA932-FE84-4BBE-B023-0D2EF0FCABFA (resized).jpeg1ABCA932-FE84-4BBE-B023-0D2EF0FCABFA (resized).jpegE9CAB3C7-3936-43C9-B50A-AC7E8DA3A484 (resized).jpegE9CAB3C7-3936-43C9-B50A-AC7E8DA3A484 (resized).jpeg72A59236-D8FE-4E6E-9A7F-D81A2D2ABA41 (resized).jpeg72A59236-D8FE-4E6E-9A7F-D81A2D2ABA41 (resized).jpeg

1F1C90E1-BB46-4570-AE51-D679B38687D4 (resized).jpeg1F1C90E1-BB46-4570-AE51-D679B38687D4 (resized).jpeg

6f6d42e8-17a2-4f8d-848e-0ca6388bd592 (resized).jpg6f6d42e8-17a2-4f8d-848e-0ca6388bd592 (resized).jpg
    #280 2 years ago

Were you referring to the forklift or plate? I always thought the plate was this. Maybe I just can't see it in your pictures.

The escalera is awesome.

20210515_115144 (resized).jpg20210515_115144 (resized).jpg
    #281 2 years ago

Were you referring to the forklift or plate? I always thought the plate was this. Maybe I just can't see it in your pictures.
    The escalera is awesome.
    [quoted image]

Forklift + plate to lift machine up and down to remove legs

#282 2 years ago

I have always been scared to use the plate and forklift from the coin door side. I normally just slide the forklift underneath the pin perpendicularly around center mass of the middle and raise. The forklift is longer than the pin is wide. So you don't even need to add the heavy plate onto it if you do it that way. Just a thought.

#283 2 years ago

Tagged for interest. Possibly interested in getting one of these in Canada.
    If anyone is selling please contact me

#284 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Tagged for interest. Possibly interested in getting one of this in Canada.
    If anyone is selling please contact me

Nitro has Escalara’s in stock ready to ship! Contact [email protected]

#285 2 years ago

can anyone provide some info as to how it behaves when you have steps that might be slanted?

I have steps outside my house and some of them are not exactly flat, so the load would tend to roll forward as I am rolling it over the step...

Can the Escalera brake if you lower the feet as when you are coming down the steps?

#286 2 years ago

Depends on how slanted your steps are but in general you would have the escalera tilted back to maintain center of balance. With slanted steps, you would have to just pull back.

I don't see a slight slant being an issue. Whether it's flat or slightly slanted, you still have to maintain balance.

#287 2 years ago

can anyone provide some info as to how it behaves when you have steps that might be slanted?
    I have steps outside my house and some of them are not exactly flat, so the load would tend to roll forward as I am rolling it over the step...
    Can the Escalera brake if you lower the feet as when you are coming down the steps?

Escalera sells edge brakes which may be useful in your case. Basically the dolly can't roll off the edge. Expensive though. look at their website for more info. I'm sure wherever you get your dolly from can order the brakes for you.

http://www.staircat.com/prices/index.htm

It's called Step Edge Detection system. SED-1.

#288 2 years ago

Trade for an Escalera I have offers close to the cash equivalent

Mod - For Sale
    Used, good condition - “$2200 firm until 12 pm Monday 5-24 then I'm pulling the ad and keeping it. You want it? $2200 if no one wants it idgaf I can make more money I can't make a new topper.”
    2021-05-15
    Monroe, MI
    2,200 (Firm)
    Archived after: 6 days
    Viewed: 1194 times

#289 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Escalera sells edge brakes which may be useful in your case. Basically the dolly can't roll off the edge. Expensive though. look at their website for more info. I'm sure wherever you get your dolly from can order the brakes for you.
    http://www.staircat.com/prices/index.htm
    It's called Step Edge Detection system. SED-1.

Good idea. I have this attachment. It does stop the escalera from rolling off the edge from a flat surface, but not necessarily from falling forward. Just be careful. I wished I used it more for the money I spent. In questioner's case, it may be worth the money.

#290 2 years ago

would not the little feet that lift it up, also brake the unit if they are lowered just enough but stopped just before it starts to lift or lower the load?

#291 2 years ago

would not the little feet that lift it up, also brake the unit if they are lowered just enough but stopped just before it starts to lift or lower the load?

Correct. When it lowers to the next step and the rubber lift feet pop out they do not turn and all the weight is transferred to those. As they do not rotate the load is locked at that point and will not roll. Should not be an issue stock on slightly tapered stairs.

#292 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Correct. When it lowers to the next step and the rubber lift feet pop out they do not turn and all the weight is transferred to those. As they do not rotate the load is locked at that point and will not roll. Should not be an issue stock on slightly tapered stairs.

perfect, this will solve my issue then... I do not think I will need anything else except for maybe the big wheel attachment.

Another question, is the 66" or 72" model preferred for pinball machines? I presume the longer the better, however, I am 5'6" so not sure what would work best...

#293 2 years ago

perfect, this will solve my issue then... I do not think I will need anything else except for maybe the big wheel attachment.
    Another question, is the 66" or 72" model preferred for pinball machines? I presume the longer the better, however, I am 5'6" so not sure what would work best...

Plus one for the big wheel attachment. I have also used the forklift more than I thought so you may consider that. I would go for the 66" and make sure you get the cross bar. It helps with leverage and grip for me.

#294 2 years ago

I've used both and the Longer the better. Easier on the back as the load triangle is higher.

#295 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I've used both and the Longer the better. Easier on the back as the load triangle is higher.

I think they come in 60, 66 and 72. I agree longer is better/easier but if you plan on using it for stairs that curve, shorter is better for turn radius so you aren't hitting walls.

Also at 5'6, 66 perhaps will be more manageable IMHO.

#296 2 years ago

perfect, this will solve my issue then...

I don’t think you understand how it works. Those little feet are what gets you up and down the steps and can’t be used as brakes at that particular time.

#297 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I don’t think you understand how it works. Those little feet ate what gets you up amd down the steps and can’t be used as brakes at that particular time.

? You put the lifters into the ground.. they will keep the cart from moving.

#298 2 years ago

Got a Gilligans Island last week. Im an escalera pro. Got it up 14 basement steps and the pin wouldnt fit through the door as the seller forgot. Had to go all the way down and do it again. He was in shock I managed it all by myself but it did tucker me out.

#299 2 years ago

I think they come in 60, 66 and 72. I agree longer is better/easier but if you plan on using it for stairs that curve, shorter is better for turn radius so you aren't hitting walls.
    Also at 5'6, 66 perhaps will be more manageable IMHO.

Yeah, I had the 60" and for me the hold area was below the game and tough to control. I used the 66" and it seemed much more balance going down stairs.

#300 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Yeah, I had the 60" and for me the hold area was below the game and tough to control. I used the 66" and it seemed much more balance going down stairs.

I find going down the stairs to be trickier as the game wants to pull you forward. You lose your concentration for just a second and...

Going up is much easier and better to control.

I have the 66" version and also have the big wheel attachment. Greatest invention of all time imo.

I had a new fridge delivered the other day and the guys were using a regular non-powered hand truck. I was so tempted to pull out the escalera, but I figured they had their own system and I only had a few steps

There are 595 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-powered-stair-climber-hand-truck-ok-for-nice-wood-stairs/page/6?hl=beebl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.