(Topic ID: 270835)

Escalera Powered Stair Climber information thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 600 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RLA-HC (resized).png
    steps going down (resized).jpg
    steps going up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1345 (resized).jpeg
    20230828_144634_compress99 (resized).jpg
    20230828_144618_compress67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1703 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 600 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.
    #201 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

It would be about the same as Zach notes above. I would add that the Escalara itself is pretty heavy (he could probably give you an exact weight), but it will add some weight to the already heavy load of a game if you are trying to lift it and turn.

my landing is 37.5" measuring when you walk down the stairs and when you come up it is slightly longer at 40". When I use the escalera to bring a game up, it barely clears the wall when I make the turn on the landing. I am unable to use the escalera to get it down and instead slide the machine down on the carpeted stairs.

#202 3 years ago

I have a straight run then a tight curve then straight again anyone have experience with a escalera in this situation. The movers did it and it didn’t look easy carrying them. That tight curve is a b€€€h.

1 month later
    #203 3 years ago

I purchased an old and neglected Escalera 72" model that had no battery and was being used as a traditional appliance hand truck! At least it already had the Big Wheel Attachment!

I want to get it back in working order and need some advice on what accessories are the most useful.

Which accessories below do you recommend?:

1. It already has 1 strap, do I need 2 or 3 straps to best secure a pin?
    2. Is the Retractable Load Support useful? Can it hold up a pin on its own without falling over? - http://www.staircat.com/accessories/rls.htm
    3. Is the 28" toe plate useful?

Also, to what psi should I inflate the big wheels?

Thanks!

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from pureinstinct:

I purchased an old and neglected Escalera 72" model that had no battery and was being used as a traditional appliance hand truck! At least it already had the Big Wheel Attachment!
    I want to get it back in working order and need some advice on what accessories are the most useful.
    2. Is the Retractable Load Support useful? Can it hold up a pin on its own without falling over? - http://www.staircat.com/accessories/rls.htm
    Thanks!

I've never used the attachments you're asking about, but for your first question, the built in strap is really all I use. No harm in using more I suppose but the built in one works great.

#205 3 years ago

Thanks!

I have an older escalera from 2001 and don’t trust the built in strap so I use a ratchet strap In addition to the built in one.

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QK3BJI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_yIzPFbKX90Z2D

#206 3 years ago

Thanks!

I just use ratchet straps rather than keep spending money on the attached ones...they dont work as great as the big geared ones you normally see on big carts imo.

I’ve also never needed anything other then the normal toe plate.

The weight of these things suck... i am generally against things that bloat them

#207 3 years ago

Great recommendation on the ratchet straps! I completely forgot about them!

3 weeks later
    #208 3 years ago

We finally got into our new home and the gameroom is upstairs, so had to purchase a escalera. First off the stairs are full custom wood stairs and the wife was very nervous when I took the first game up about damaging them. Just took several games up and not single scratch or mark. Overal I am very happy with the purchase of the escalera. Going up is super easy and I had no problems doing it by myself. I feel like the truck itself is very easy to use and make pretty tight turns easily and I also did not think the truck itself was overly heavy like some have stated. The one built in single strap is all that is needed and the standard plate is just fine. My only concern is going down!! If you do not have the truck correctly positioned going down it could be bad news quickly. I have not found the sweet spot on downward trips yet, but before I move a game down I will for sure do more practicing and have a friend help on the first trip down. If anyone has tips on going down please pass them along.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

We finally got into our new home and the gameroom is upstairs, so had to purchase a escalera. First off the stairs are full custom wood stairs and the wife was very nervous when I took the first game up about damaging them. Just took several games up and not single scratch or mark. Overal I am very happy with the purchase of the escalera. Going up is super easy and I had no problems doing it by myself. I feel like the truck itself is very easy to use and make pretty tight turns easily and I also did not think the truck itself was overly heavy like some have stated. The one built in single strap is all that is needed and the standard plate is just fine. My only concern is going down!! If you do not have the truck correctly positioned going down it could be bad news quickly. I have not found the sweet spot on downward trips yet, but before I move a game down I will for sure do more practicing and have a friend help on the first trip down. If anyone has tips on going down please pass them along.

Trying to find the cheapest price on an escalera. Any recommendation on where to buy and model number? I saw some on handtrucks2go.com Which size did you get? Thanks

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

You’ll get used to knowing how far from the step the main wheels will be before engaging the steppers. Always have a good front to back leg stance to position self. Typical stairs you should be able to keep pressing the switch instead of stopping in each stair. Also remember, the hand truck doesn’t need to be tilted back all the way. The trickiest part is getting used to ‘the pull’ forward when going up stairs. If you got that down then going down isn’t bad at all. Phone me if you need to 812.457.9711.

#211 3 years ago

Sorry for all of the delays in responding to some of you regarding Escalera sales. A week vacation set me back in a list of things and Escalera has been backed up a bit more than usual this past month. If youve tried to call and we weren’t able to answer, email me at [email protected] and we can setup a time to chat.

Always happy to help in this thread as well to answer any questions you all may have.

Happiest Of Holidays Escalera Club!

Zach
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Official Escalera Pinball Dealer

#212 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Sorry for all of the delays in responding to some of you regarding Escalera sales. A week vacation set me back in a list of things and Escalera has been backed up a bit more than usual this past month. If youve tried to call and we weren’t able to answer, email me at [email protected] and we can setup a time to chat.
    Always happy to help in this thread as well to answer any questions you all may have.
    Happiest Of Holidays Escalera Club!
    Zach
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Official Escalera Pinball Dealer

I'm guessing you took the wife and kids to the Escalera factory for a vacation tour. Fun dad!

#213 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I'm guessing you took the wife and kids to the Escalera factory for a vacation tour. Fun dad!

hahahaha not a bad idea

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from Medic:

Trying to find the cheapest price on an escalera. Any recommendation on where to buy and model number? I saw some on handtrucks2go.com Which size did you get? Thanks

Not really a CHEAP option. They very rarely come up used so you either wait for possibly a very long time or call Zach. I will say it is s game changer if you have steps.

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from Medic:

cragslist, other ad sites like this one near me.reno.craigslist.org link
    I paid $200 for mine on craigslist.

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

On the downward trip... remember you don't have to find the perfect clearance either.. the truck will kind of scoot itself forward if you were too far back. You can play it conservative and worst case it doesn't go over the edge.. just reverse and try again. The hardest part is just getting used to the weight shift as the lifters kick in. Holding it back as it lunges a bit.

It is just a confidence thing... but you do have pretty good margins of error. The weight shift is the one that doesn't have many 'undo' opportunities

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

cragslist, other ad sites like this one near me.reno.craigslist.org link
    I paid $200 for mine on craigslist.

A real steal.. even on CL around here I think the cheapest I've ever seen is about 600... with 800-1200 more typical for one that needs a tuneup/parts.

#218 3 years ago

Quoted from flynnibus:

On the downward trip... remember you don't have to find the perfect clearance either.. the truck will kind of scoot itself forward if you were too far back. You can play it conservative and worst case it doesn't go over the edge.. just reverse and try again. The hardest part is just getting used to the weight shift as the lifters kick in. Holding it back as it lunges a bit.
    It is just a confidence thing... but you do have pretty good margins of error. The weight shift is the one that doesn't have many 'undo' opportunities

Escalera does sell brakes that will stop the dolly at the right spot while preventing it from going over the edge. The kit is expensive. They call it the "Step Edge Detection System". Part# SED-1. It's 360$.

I considered ordering it but after some experience with it I'm not really worried anymore. The only time I missed a step was the first time I used it. The last 2 steps went by themselves with the dolly just bouncing of the steps. Thank goodness it didn't happen at the top cause there was no way I could stop it I was barely hanging on for the ride.. Not a pleasant experience. I was tilting the dolly too far back and that's why that happened. It was my NIB JPLE..

As has been mentioned above the biggest "challenge" is the weight shift. Regular weighted pinballs aren't much of a problem. Because it's crazy heavy, I did find WOZ challenging and had a spotter there to help with the weight shift. Otherwise I move my machines alone up and down the stairs.

#219 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Couldn’t agree more here. Also like having a spotter at the bottom just to help guide me. Also, my stairs are straight, but I have a 90 degree turn at the top and bottom that I need an assist with.

#220 3 years ago

I just moved RS upstairs and needed a spotter as well, going down is a piece of cake. I recently moved DI downstairs by myself and now feel quite confident about going down, up is a little trickier for sure.

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I recently just used mine for the first time to get MMRe into the basement, down a flight of 10 stairs. I had brought stuff up and out and that was easy. Heading down the stairs I had the weight shift, I had read about it but boy I wasn't expecting that amount of weight. Almost took me with it, but once under control it the rest of the trip was easy. But boy that was scary for a moment. The Escalera does make it easy to get move pins up and down the stairs now by myself.

1 week later
    #222 3 years ago

Zach, tell us about the edge detectors. Can they be added on after the fact? How difficult is it? Cost?

#223 3 years ago

I have an older model I got used. The problem I'm having is the chains will contact carpeted steps leaving grease stains that need to be cleaned. It seems like this shouldn't be happening with the sliders in place, what adjustments can be made to help with this?

#224 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

I have an older model I got used. The problem I'm having is the chains will contact carpeted steps leaving grease stains that need to be cleaned. It seems like this shouldn't be happening with the sliders in place, what adjustments can be made to help with this?

Mine does the same thing, will be interested to see if anyone has a fix.

#225 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Zach, tell us about the edge detectors. Can they be added on after the fact? How difficult is it? Cost?

I am interested in this as well. If not to difficult i will probably order some

#226 3 years ago

Just purchased a Ultralift 1500 with extension handle. How are they compared to the Escalera? Looks great. Need to recharge battery or purchase a new battery.
    Thanks!

#227 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I am interested in this as well. If not to difficult i will probably order some

So honestly I don’t know because I haven’t installed them on mine. They are a bit pricey and I don’t see how they’d be a breeze to install. That’s just me being an escalera owner. People order them and don’t report back any issues.
    I had a new staircat with them installed from factory for a customer and used them once to demonstrate at Expo.
    I know the machine so well that it is of no use to me because learning where to look at a side wheel and the step edge distance is easy, quick, and not relying on another mechanism. People like them and feel better about them so I am supportive but it’s not an accessory I push because I don’t have enough experience.

Happy to discuss through messaging if anyone is interested. You know, in the next month or two I am going to order a fully loaded model and produce new demonstration videos for each accessory. Would that be helpful to people here or a waste of time?

Thanks again all!

#228 3 years ago

I ordered an Escalera with edge detection from Zach a few years ago. I think I have only used that function once. I have a narrow circular staircase and I find it better just to have a spotter to let me know when I am close to the edge.

I would probably use it more if my stairs were a straight shot up and down. Happy to answer any questions.

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

...I am going to order a fully loaded model and produce new demonstration videos for each accessory. Would that be helpful to people here or a waste of time?
    Thanks again all!

I already have practically every Escalera attachment. But I can’t wait to see a STDM Escalera video!

38E56D6C-F2E7-4645-A25A-8CC741E2668C (resized).jpeg38E56D6C-F2E7-4645-A25A-8CC741E2668C (resized).jpegD5FE76E5-F245-4358-B832-079037A7DAB5 (resized).jpegD5FE76E5-F245-4358-B832-079037A7DAB5 (resized).jpeg
    #230 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

I already have practically every Escalera attachment. But I can’t wait to see a STDM Escalera video![quoted image][quoted image]

sweet setup.

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Step Edge Detectors can be added after the fact. BUT it depends on how old your unit is as to which kit to order. Older units will need a new toe plate to accommodate the Step Edge Detector. The age can determined by your serial number.
    Installation after the fact is not the easiest and you will need an 11/32 open end wrench but is doable in about 30 minutes. Talk to Zach about which kit you need as one kit includes a toe plate for older units and will cost you more.
    You want to concentrate on balance with a large heavy load so I always suggested the Step Edge for customers who were moving large heavy units (safes etc) or if you feel uncomfortable about going down it can give you that confidence that you are in the correct spot to begin going down.

#232 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

So honestly I don’t know because I haven’t installed them on mine. They are a bit pricey and I don’t see how they’d be a breeze to install. That’s just me being an escalera owner. People order them and don’t report back any issues.
    I had a new staircat with them installed from factory for a customer and used them once to demonstrate at Expo.
    I know the machine so well that it is of no use to me because learning where to look at a side wheel and the step edge distance is easy, quick, and not relying on another mechanism. People like them and feel better about them so I am supportive but it’s not an accessory I push because I don’t have enough experience.
    Happy to discuss through messaging if anyone is interested. You know, in the next month or two I am going to order a fully loaded model and produce new demonstration videos for each accessory. Would that be helpful to people here or a waste of time?
    Thanks again all!

Really think this would be a Very smart support effort doing new videos. Larry did a good job but still left so many questions open. This is no doubt an Expensive commitment for a pin buyer so assurance via media would be a wise direction to alleviate some unknown concerns and instill confidence to buyers.

#233 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Really think this would be a Very smart support effort doing new videos. Larry did a good job but still left so many questions open. This is no doubt an Expensive commitment for a pin buyer so assurance via media would be a wise direction to alleviate some unknown concerns and instill confidence to buyers.

agree, when someone is basically dropping enough funds to purchase a nice mid-level game on a dolly more info and videos would be awesome.

1 week later
    #234 3 years ago

Bringing this up again in case folks have an opinion. Has anyone found the 28" toe plate attachment useful, or do you just stick with with the installed plate?

#235 3 years ago

Bringing this up again in case folks have an opinion. Has anyone found the 28" toe plate attachment useful, or do you just stick with with the installed plate?

For moving a pin, the standard toe plate works fine. Maybe if you are moving other things. But I see no advantage to having the larger toe plate. If anything it would get in the way on my landing (90 degree turn) when moving the Escalera to hit the next flight of stairs.

#236 3 years ago

I never move anything without it. The installed plate is just too small. For me.

#237 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I never move anything without it. The installed plate is just too small. For me.

Agreed. I'd be nervous moving a 350 pound machine that's resting on a 3 or 4 inch lip.

#238 3 years ago

Things would have to go extremely sideways for it to become unwrapped and slip the lip.

Still nobody with a fix for the escalera making greasy steps?

#239 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

Things would have to go extremely sideways for it to become unwrapped and slip the lip.

I don't use mine on carpeted steps regularly but I have once and it left nothing behind. If suspect your drive chains are too long or something is out of adjustment to let anything that's been greased contact the stairs. Maybe the rubber slide belts are dirty or have been improperly lubricated?

#240 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

Buy a Lectro Truck. I've had one for over fifteen years used in many homes for pins, slots, gun safes, hot water tanks etc. Never marked up a carpeted or finished wood tread.

#241 3 years ago

Moved arcades and pins with the standard lip, no issues with it. I have the big toe, but I haven’t used it yet. The lip isn’t a concern, getting the balance right before going down your first step is. I always have a spotter to be safe.

#242 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I don't use mine on carpeted steps regularly but I have once and it left nothing behind. If suspect your drive chains are too long or something is out of adjustment to let anything that's been greased contact the stairs. Maybe the rubber slide belts are dirty or have been improperly lubricated?

They were definitely improperly lubricated by a PO and cleaned up as best I could. Like you said, they shouldn't be contacting the steps at all though. There doesnt seem to be an adjustment on the slider treads so maybe I'll try tightening up the chains a bit. A few others had similar issues so I was hoping there was some kind of common adjustment.

1 month later
    #243 3 years ago

I am looking for an easier way to move machines in and out of the basement. This turn is approximately 83 x 35. Is an escalera a viable solution?

20210120_083355 (resized).jpg20210120_083355 (resized).jpg
    #244 3 years ago

Exact same as a regular dolly only heavier as far as that cornering is concerned

#245 3 years ago

So I have not been charging my battery correctly since i got my escalera. I bought it and it sat unused for 3 months with NO charging. Once I got moved into my new house I started using it taking a game or 2 upstairs until all 10 where into the gameroom. I was getting my new MB up the stairs and I noticed it was dying quickly and had like 5 more steps to go. Luckily I made it all the way up the stairs before it completely died. I could not figure out what was up because I had the charger plugged in. I did not have the battery wires connected to the charger and therefore I have not been charging it since I have owned it. That means I took 11 games up a large flight of stairs on less than a single battery charge. Pretty crazy the battery lasted that long.

#246 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

So I have not been charging my battery correctly since i got my escalera. I bought it and it sat unused for 3 months with NO charging. Once I got moved into my new house I started using it taking a game or 2 upstairs until all 10 where into the gameroom. I was getting my new MB up the stairs and I noticed it was dying quickly and had like 5 more steps to go. Luckily I made it all the way up the stairs before it completely died. I could not figure out what was up because I had the charger plugged in. I did not have the battery wires connected to the charger and therefore I have not been charging it since I have owned it. That means I took 11 games up a large flight of stairs on less than a single battery charge. Pretty crazy the battery lasted that long.

Keep in mind those batteries (sealed lead acid) do NOT take kindly to getting completely drained. Same as a car battery. Once you overdrain it it'll never fully take a charge or last as long. You've definitely shortened the life of it but just make sure you charge it every time you use it.

#247 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

I am looking for an easier way to move machines in and out of the basement. This turn is approximately 83 x 35. Is an escalera a viable solution?
    [quoted image]

I have found the escalera is easier to maneuver around corners than a regular dolly.

Quoted from MrMikeman:

Keep in mind those batteries (sealed lead acid) do NOT take kindly to getting completely drained. Same as a car battery. Once you overdrain it it'll never fully take a charge or last as long. You've definitely shortened the life of it but just make sure you charge it every time you use it.

Yea, I obviously did not do it on purpose and hopefully did not complete trash the battery but i was blown away I got 11 trips out of a charge.

#248 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

[quoted image]

You should be able to get the game up stairs and make the turn, but I doubt you’d be able to get it down. I have 37” clearance and can take a game up, but not down. I slide games down on the steps, very easy to do. Requires two people.
    The problem going down is the escalera pushes forward and eats up precious space.

#249 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

[quoted image]

The Escalera will make the stairs much much easier. It will not help that 180 degree turn at all. The only benefit is you will have more energy to manage the nightmare turn once you get there. Happy to help if you have any other questions.

[email protected]

#250 3 years ago

I have a similar set-up but mine is 83' x 45". I have a Lectro-Truck and have no issue rotating the dolly on the tile surface taking pins & slots up or down. Worst-case, unstrap the game and slide it over, push it out a bit and put the dolly back in place.

I've moved NIB Sterns into my basement and did not have to unstrap. But again, my smallest measurement is 45", not 35.

There are 600 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-powered-stair-climber-hand-truck-ok-for-nice-wood-stairs/page/5?hl=jeff1960 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.