(Topic ID: 270835)

Escalera Powered Stair Climber information thread.

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 600 posts
  • 118 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RLA-HC (resized).png
    steps going down (resized).jpg
    steps going up (resized).jpg
    IMG_1345 (resized).jpeg
    20230828_144634_compress99 (resized).jpg
    20230828_144618_compress67 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1703 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1405 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 600 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 12.
    #151 3 years ago

I’m the one who started this thread because was getting an upstairs gameroom. However had change of house and now only have 3 steps at the front of the house.

I might be looking at a metal ramp like my moving guys used. Don’t think I’ll need an Escalera for just that little bit.

Anyone have any information or advice about metal ramp.

#152 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I always tell people that at some point you’re gonna have to buy the aluminum. Either a couple grand worth in the Escalara or the hardware that will go in your back which will be much pricier and more painful. The metal is going somewhere....hahaha

That is true. I can attest to that.

It was 1981 before I finally bought a pinball cart, two wheeler, four wheel dolly, and lift gate on the truck. Got tired of carrying games. And the injuries were already adding up.

Only mistake I made was in 1981 and 1991, not buying an Escalara with the fork lift attachment.

LTG : )

#153 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Last year when I was thinking of bringing a roll cab with to TPF. I scrounged craigslist and found a new 5 foot aluminum ramp. Really cool. Stands 5 foot tall, hinged in the center the long way. Came with a canvas carrying bag. I got it for way less than scrap value, around $30.

Never used it, I did keep it. Just in case. Not much into it and doesn't take much space.

Similar to this except for the anti skid surface. Mine has raised ribs side to side to prevent slipping.

https://www.discountramps.com/silver-spring-single-fold-wheelchair-ramps-grit/p/SCGPLUS-5/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg8n5BRCdARIsALxKb94Tm2n4okjK0W_jcnO_3eyExMYtjVxhtnT2LoPK9Lpo5h8N0kh5PR4aAoFHEALw_wcB

LTG : )

#154 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Boob is just a niece guy. The old adage....
    "No good deed goes unpunished"
    We've probably all been there, i have, way to many times.

Tell me about it I went to fix a pin for free today and dropped my phone on the way up the drive and cracked the screen.

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m the one who started this thread because was getting an upstairs gameroom. However had change of house and now only have 3 steps at the front of the house.
    I might be looking at a metal ramp like my moving guys used. Don’t think I’ll need an Escalera for just that little bit.

I just made simple runners using https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/lund-ramp-kit?cm_vc=-10005 and 1x8s. You could buy a simple alumnimum one pre-built... just get one worthy of running appliance cart wheels over.

#156 3 years ago

Here is the one I got off ebay. The dang thing looks brand new. not a scratch on it.

20200812_120908 (resized).jpg20200812_120908 (resized).jpg
    #157 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Here is the one I got off ebay. The dang thing looks brand new. not a scratch on it.
    [quoted image]

Thanks a lot.

#158 3 years ago

I will be putting mine up for sale..... 900 cash and carry

Its an older 60 inch but I maintain it well. Has all new wiring, new motor. new switch. and new battery " about 1 year old.

Aslo swapped out the tires on the big wheel with solid tires,

Has two strap but they show wear .

I fetl my price is VERY fair ........cash and carry

#159 3 years ago

Damn fair price! It shouldn’t last long.

#160 3 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Its an older 60 inch but I maintain it well. Has all new wiring, new motor. new switch. and new battery " about 1 year old.

PM sent!

Chris

#161 3 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

GREAT DEAL

#162 3 years ago

Just an FYI... I am going to be solid on my 900 dollar price as its a great deal already.

THX Allen

2FF6145A-ABC0-4090-A4C2-126C440B95AD (resized).jpeg2FF6145A-ABC0-4090-A4C2-126C440B95AD (resized).jpeg04433559-EA4A-4292-9461-3691EA1E1F9B (resized).jpeg04433559-EA4A-4292-9461-3691EA1E1F9B (resized).jpeg12E4048C-8627-40C0-A1E0-B57F091C9849 (resized).jpeg12E4048C-8627-40C0-A1E0-B57F091C9849 (resized).jpeg33F2521F-4C56-4D33-8662-B847425EB13C (resized).jpeg33F2521F-4C56-4D33-8662-B847425EB13C (resized).jpeg3D42E09E-172C-4063-A67F-6F64A498AB24 (resized).jpeg3D42E09E-172C-4063-A67F-6F64A498AB24 (resized).jpeg6CCD678F-2779-4435-9D6D-D7A735D64B7B (resized).jpeg6CCD678F-2779-4435-9D6D-D7A735D64B7B (resized).jpeg881ABDE7-A295-49A8-994E-89F859CDF185 (resized).jpeg881ABDE7-A295-49A8-994E-89F859CDF185 (resized).jpeg
    #163 3 years ago

That was fast. If for some unbelievable reason it doesn’t sell, I’m next!

#164 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That was fast. If for some unbelievable reason it doesn’t sell, I’m next!

Number 4 on the list. .

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Number 4 on the list. .

Damn it! Lol

#166 3 years ago

I think escalera is missing the boat. Looks like most people are in on one at $1000-$1500. $2500 for base and then another $500 in accessories is a hard pill to swallow for something you use once per month or so.

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I think escalera is missing the boat. Looks like most people are in on one at $1000-$1500. $2500 for base and then another $500 in accessories is a hard pill to swallow for something you use once per month or so.

The home consumer isn't their prime audience. It's people who use the tool for work. Trades folk, movers, etc.

Their price point has stayed relatively stable while the money hobbyists are throwing into the hobby has nearly doubled in the last 10 years. Percentage of cost is moving in their favor.

Reality is a very large percentage of hobbyists just pay someone to do the work. The price point of 1500 vs 2500 really isn't going to change the TAM. People are either invested in tools for moving or they treat it as a overhead expense per transaction.

#168 3 years ago

Everything they make is heavily marked up. Look at the big wheel attachment. That's a $25 weldment with $25 wheels on it, sells for $200. They charge $150 for a battery you can get on Amazon for $30. Same as the charger. If they had $500 in materials and labor to build one, I'd be shocked. Hopefully they are at least paying a solid living wage to the folks who are making these at the price they charge.

#169 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Everything they make is heavily marked up. Look at the big wheel attachment. That's a $25 weldment with $25 wheels on it, sells for $200. They charge $150 for a battery you can get on Amazon for $30. Same as the charger. If they had $500 in materials and labor to build one, I'd be shocked. Hopefully they are at least paying a solid living wage to the folks who are making these at the price they charge.

It's a niche product with a limited TAM, they have to sell at large margins to stay in business. This isn't a pack of chewing gum at the f'n grocery store checkout!

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Those prices are a bit higher than what we sell accessories for but I can affirm that the company is made up of great people and very supportive. Big wheels are 150 plus shipping and batteries are 100 plus shipping.

#171 3 years ago

Also worth mentioning, the forklift attachment has fully rotating wheels at the front, but none in the back. When it hooks onto the Escalera it uses the main units wheels as it’s rear wheels. As others have mentioned it’s heavy as hell on its own and there isn’t a great way to grab it and maneuver it. The shelf that the crank is attached to is thin and I don’t trust lifting from there, so it’s an awkward dance holding it from the sides. Also, you need space to store the fork lift and the pin plate, but at least the plate is removable and can be put up against a wall vertically or behind something. When I had more space in the garage I assembled everything (Escalera/forklift/pin plate) and stored other crap on top of the pin plate. When it’s all installed together moving it is a breeze.

#172 3 years ago

Damn it. I picked a hell of a day to not check my email all day

Chris

#173 3 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Just an FYI... I am going to be solid on my 900 dollar price as its a great deal already.
    THX Allen[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pending pickup

#174 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Just be thankful you don't live in Australia - the local importer/distributor here charges AUD$8500 for the base model.

#175 3 years ago

How many of you still use the original battery? I have had mine for a little over 18 months and it seems like its not keeping the charge very well.

Using it just a few times up and down 18 steps takes about 1/4 of the charge.

#176 3 years ago
    Quoted from marioparty34:

How many of you still use the original battery? I have had mine for a little over 18 months and it seems like its not keeping the charge very well.

I have the original battery from 2014 on mine. Fully charged I removed a heavy jukebox from a basement last week and it just seemed to struggle the last couple steps. Not bad being I have pulled over 100 machines from basements in the 6 years I have owned it. Time to replaced my battery.

#177 3 years ago

How many times have you used it? I don’t use mine much. I didn’t charge it the first two years (I know, I know, not good for the battery) and it still worked like a champ when called into duty.

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from evileye:

How many times have you used it? I don’t use mine much. I didn’t charge it the first two years (I know, I know, not good for the battery) and it still worked like a champ when called into duty.

I use it on average four times a month on those stairs.

#179 3 years ago

That sounds kind of about right to me. Thats a lot of steps. Somewhere in the back of my mind... i had the number 70 steps tucked away to remember. I think there is a statement somewhere on the website about expected capacity

#180 3 years ago

Mine is only a year old so no battery issue yet but I may look into going with lipo batteries next. Already have all the special charging equipment from my RC days.... Lighter, more storage capacity... just needs a proper cutoff which would be the disadvantage. Full power until it stops completely, wherever that is lol..

#181 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

That sounds kind of about right to me. Thats a lot of steps. Somewhere in the back of my mind... i had the number 70 steps tucked away to remember. I think there is a statement somewhere on the website about expected capacity

I think the official number is around 90 steps, and you can always go down steps- even with a "dead" battery.

#182 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Mine is only a year old so no battery issue yet but I may look into going with lipo batteries next. Already have all the special charging equipment from my RC days.... Lighter, more storage capacity... just needs a proper cutoff which would be the disadvantage. Full power until it stops completely, wherever that is lol..

Capacity isn't an issue... unless you are a dozen moves a day? I mean... when I have to move a truck load of games, I'd make sure I was charged and maybe have a plan B. But otherwise... it's 'When did I use this last? oh I better plug it in..' and not much else

#183 3 years ago

Some of those old videos they did in the early 90's are fun to watch. It looks like they have updated them in the last year or two.

#184 3 years ago

Thanks for the reminder. I use my Escalara multiple times a week for past couple years and I’ve noticed the battery getting a bit sluggish. I need to order a new one as well. The battery charge is usually fantastic. I used to forget to charge it and still could bank on it lugging a handful of games up and down some steps

#185 3 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Pending pickup

SOLD !!!

#186 3 years ago

My new climber. A WESCO Stairking. Bought with a bent magnisium frame. Made new plates for motor mounts and outside plates to strengthen area where the bends where " they tried to lift a 3000lb safe " WTF ..... Added 5 lbs but better than new. Much newer unit only a few years old. Got it at a great price too

BB9737F6-1C8B-434B-813D-B9452D92E5E7 (resized).jpegBB9737F6-1C8B-434B-813D-B9452D92E5E7 (resized).jpeg81D6E40C-7470-4BF5-A364-518EFC3BC6E4 (resized).jpeg81D6E40C-7470-4BF5-A364-518EFC3BC6E4 (resized).jpegBC7E8E89-4784-41CE-B524-9805DE0E92EE (resized).jpegBC7E8E89-4784-41CE-B524-9805DE0E92EE (resized).jpegD646A852-0601-4CFB-8D47-AC7CCE165E2B (resized).jpegD646A852-0601-4CFB-8D47-AC7CCE165E2B (resized).jpegC8CB8836-1437-4580-B038-FED58D16C994 (resized).jpegC8CB8836-1437-4580-B038-FED58D16C994 (resized).jpeg

#187 3 years ago

I also epoxied the outer plate to the frame and installed two extra bolts where the kinks were.

#188 3 years ago

If anyone would happen to have an Escalera available in the Allentown area please let me know. I could purchase ourtight, or maybe use a Black Knight as partial payment.

Thanks!
    Chris

#189 3 years ago

Just picked up a 66" version on ebay for $1092, plus $200 shipping. Looks like new.

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from chillme:

Just picked up a 66" version on ebay for $1092, plus $200 shipping. Looks like new.

I got one from the same guy, mine does look brand new.

#191 3 years ago
    Quoted from chillme:

Damnt! I missed out again! I need to check these out more frequently to catch a refurb like you guys have!

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from chillme:

What did you search to find this? I look on EBay but only seem to get ladders in Spanish ads.

Thanks
    Chris

#193 3 years ago

Wow guys! Great prices on those Escaleras!

#194 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

What did you search to find this? I look on EBay but only seem to get ladders in Spanish ads.
    Thanks
    Chris

Yea, that happens a lot, I've been checking on and off for the last two weeks. Last week somebody was selling parts of one torn done.
    But I was searching on "Escalera staircat". Most of the time it would just return the type of stuff you are seeing. Really hit or miss and mostly miss. When I found this one today, I did not hesitate.

#195 3 years ago
    Quoted from chillme:

Yea, that happens a lot, I've been checking on and off for the last two weeks. Last week somebody was selling parts of one torn done.
    But I was searching on "Escalera staircat". Most of the time it would just return the type of stuff you are seeing. Really hit or miss and mostly miss. When I found this one today, I did not hesitate.

Just set a favorite search on eBay and it will email you daily with any new listing that pops up with Escalera.

#196 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Just set a favorite search on eBay and it will email you daily with any new listing that pops up with Escalera.

Also, Escalera is ladder in Spanish, so make sure you category is in carts & trucks / hand truck category and you'll get less stuff you don't want.

ebay.com link: Escalera Staircat Powered Stair Climber Hand Truck with extended toeplate

4 weeks later
    #197 3 years ago

What size of landing is needed to make "the turn" with a machine attached? When using a standard appliance cart, I need a lot of help to lift machine and get one of the wheels up(or down) a step while turning. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a escalera so that I can try before I buy.

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

What size of landing is needed to make "the turn" with a machine attached? When using a standard appliance cart, I need a lot of help to lift machine and get one of the wheels up(or down) a step while turning. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a escalera so that I can try before I buy.

It would be similar to a standard handtruck

#199 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

It would be about the same as Zach notes above. I would add that the Escalara itself is pretty heavy (he could probably give you an exact weight), but it will add some weight to the already heavy load of a game if you are trying to lift it and turn.

#200 3 years ago

All the particulars on dimensions, weight, etc (from this you should get a better idea of turning radius):

http://www.staircat.com/pdf/3pg-brochure.pdf

There are 600 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-powered-stair-climber-hand-truck-ok-for-nice-wood-stairs/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.