Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 264 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Indusguys
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E64E501C-14B9-466E-8844-F83A72FB8394 (resized).jpeg
    8DE5F279-B3B7-458F-9365-08F60AF9B938 (resized).jpeg
    20190815_075837 (resized).jpg
    20190815_080116 (resized).jpg
    20190815_080045 (resized).jpg
    20190517_175401 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1006 (resized).jpeg
    E42FA766-5415-442D-B816-F310F58FE78D (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    landinga (resized).JPG
    Threshold (resized).jpg
    escalera fail (resized).JPG
    77A1B610-8F90-40E3-8C8D-42E4379B037C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KingBW.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 5 years ago

Best pin fetching/moving investment I made. My back (and helping son) are very happy with it. I got the 66" with the extra top belt, the big wheels, the brakes, and the wide bottom plate attachment. I use the big wheels often to move the pins to and from the door (my blacktop walkway and driveway isn't too even), the brakes are the best option IMO. I use the extra top belt just about every time I use it - well worth it. I bought mine from Larry also. Great to deal with and he will help you to choose options based on how you plan to use it. The brakes really help me near stair edges and give me a little peace of mind to "slightly" reduce the nervous stress issue going up/down the stairs.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zavadoza:

I got mine for less than $2k new. It is 66”, has the tire wheel attachment, and large plate attachment. I need to look into the forklift for not needing help getting it on and off my pickup truck bed. Anybody know a cost for this?

You can check with flipnout1 Larry, but I "think" this isn't an "add on". I think you have to order it with it as the structure of the cart is different. I might be wrong, but I know people were on these threads asking if anyone wanted to trade one style for the other. The forklift version weighs ALOT more.

#93 5 years ago

I used mine today at a fellow pinsider's house while fetching a pin. That pinsider didn't know much about these, but will now buy one. Practicing with something not valuable is good advice being given to get the feel of how to use one.

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For moving pins with an Escalera I still recommend having two people, one operating while the other is making sure it's going to grab the stair tread and to apply some slight pressure to the back of the game so that the Escalera doesn't slip off a stair tread.

That's why I got the brake attachment also. That attachment works great on the stairs - recommend it for the newbies. But I still have someone there for guidance as one time my angle was wrong and skipped one stair with a big jukebox on it. I'm getting better at it, but I am still a little nervous using it.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The thing I find most difficult with my Escalera is getting the pinball machine into the house. I have no problem with normal stairs, but for some reason I find getting it up and over the front door threshold to be a bit more difficult. Once the load is lifted up onto the step, the wheels have a tendency to roll down off the slanted threshold and fall back down. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

The brake attachment helps with this too. I have a similar situation and if I forget to set/turn on the brakes, it wants to roll back.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Interesting. I actually have the breaks on mine. It never dawned on me to use them when going up. I assumed they were just for going down.

Try it while empty. If it rolls back too close to the edge, the brakes will turn on. If you are already at the edge, it won't roll back off the ledge or step.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

More
    I use the Big Wheels to pivot over a threshold. I don't like placing any weight on the threshold so I back the unit up to the edge of the front door and lower the Big Wheels onto the floor inside the room, push down on the handles to lift the wheels off and roll the unit into the room never touching the threshold.
    Larry

Thats a better solution. Problem for me is that I have to use the stair climber to get on a small porch before going over the threshold step. I found something for my wife to do ... squeeze in to put the big wheels on once I get onto the small porch.

Good info in this thread.

4 months later
    #120 5 years ago
    Quoted from bzbatl:

I’ve read all the posts, listened to friends who praise 8 lbs 4 oz baby Jesus about this thing, and have watched dozens of videos on how simple people make it seem to move a pin with Escalera. They’re either full of crap, or I’m doing something severely wrong. My forearms are destroyed and my knees hurt from stabilizing and rebalancing the pin from every single step. There is simply no way an old man can supposedly move this with such ease.
    Coming back down on hardwood steps, it slips every step. I had to just lay the entire thing down on cardboard and slide it down the steps.
    Will someone please explain this to me before I take a sledgehammer to it?

If it's that bad, practice with it empty that way you can see the Escalera angle that is best for the stairs. My guess is that you are too close to the stair edge. The moving roller should never slip over the edge of the stairs. I opted for the brake attachment that detects the edge of the step to make sure you don't roll too close or off of it. For me, the top handles move less than 6 inches as it goes down the stairs ... and it is uneasy to trust it with a pin on it. I do get nervous doing it, but I'm getting more confident with it over time. It only slipped on a single stair once for me and that was because the brake mechanism reset on me when I was positioning before I went down the stairs, I relied on that brake to stop when close to the edge, was too close when I started, and the roller slipped down the step. Without the brakes, you will need to find that right spot on the step so that the rollers wont slip and not too far back which would make the top handles tip back and forth with pressure on you.

Without weight, go up and down and try to find that sweet spot where the top handles hardly move and it doesn't slip. Then add some weight of some sort and do it again and you should feel less forced pulling and pushing at the top handles.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KingBW.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalara-pros-amp-cons?tu=KingBW and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.