Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 264 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Indusguys
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E64E501C-14B9-466E-8844-F83A72FB8394 (resized).jpeg
    8DE5F279-B3B7-458F-9365-08F60AF9B938 (resized).jpeg
    20190815_075837 (resized).jpg
    20190815_080116 (resized).jpg
    20190815_080045 (resized).jpg
    20190517_175401 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1006 (resized).jpeg
    E42FA766-5415-442D-B816-F310F58FE78D (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    landinga (resized).JPG
    Threshold (resized).jpg
    escalera fail (resized).JPG
    77A1B610-8F90-40E3-8C8D-42E4379B037C (resized).jpeg
    There are 264 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

Any idea if you can put that on the escalera after the fact or if the brake has to come on your unit from the factory? flipnout1 ?

You can add it on after the fact but depending on the age of the lift you may have to replace the toe plate with a modified one to accommodate the kit. There are two different model numbers of kits, one with the new toe plate and one without.

#102 5 years ago

The thing I find most difficult with my Escalera is getting the pinball machine into the house. I have no problem with normal stairs, but for some reason I find getting it up and over the front door threshold to be a bit more difficult. Once the load is lifted up onto the step, the wheels have a tendency to roll down off the slanted threshold and fall back down. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Threshold (resized).jpgThreshold (resized).jpg
    #103 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The thing I find most difficult with my Escalera is getting the pinball machine into the house. I have no problem with normal stairs, but for some reason I find getting it up and over the front door threshold to be a bit more difficult. Once the load is lifted up onto the step, the wheels have a tendency to roll down off the slanted threshold and fall back down. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Any dolly will roll back down an incline. Once its on the step you need to either muscle it up the incline like any dolly, or hold it in place and run the motor as if there was another step, let it lift the game the inch or so of rise, it will set the game farther back, maybe far enough to be past the threshold.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

More
    any dolly will roll back down an incline. once its on the step you need to either muscle it up the incline like any dolly, or hold it in place and run the motor as if there was another step, let it lift the game the inch or so of rise, it will set the game farther back, maybe far enough to be past the threshold.

That is the biggest advantage of the power mate. Yoi can take the wheels completely out of the equation. This allows you to literally walk away from the dolly with a unit strapped to it. I may have to make a demonstration video to explain and visual show what I mean.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

I bought mine from direct from escalera, the guy said their was two different models (with forks).
    one where you can't remove the forks and one where they make to where you can.

I got the one where you can, cost like an additional 500 bucks but whatever.

Model RLA-EW is the one where you can, but like you mentioned it's not like you just pop them off super easily like the big wheel attachment.

Correct. The RLA models have removable forklifts. I have the RLA-HC. Once you remove the forklift attachment, you are essentially left with an MS-1-66. That being said, if you already own an MS-1-66 (or an MS-66 for that matter), you can't simply attach a forklift to it because it doesn't have the necessary mounting points.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The brake attachment helps with this too. I have a similar situation and if I forget to set/turn on the brakes, it wants to roll back.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Any dolly will roll back down an incline. once its on the step you need to either muscle it up the incline like any dolly, or hold it in place and run the motor as if there was another step, let it lift the game the inch or so of rise, it will set the game farther back, maybe far enough to be past the threshold.

I never noticed the problem with my traditional hand truck. I think the main reason is because the Escalera sets the wheels down right on the threshold, whereas once I brought the game up with the hand truck, the wheels would rest on the flat area in front of the threshold.

#108 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

The brake attachment helps with this too. I have a similar situation and if I forget to set/turn on the brakes, it wants to roll back.

Interesting. I actually have the breaks on mine. It never dawned on me to use them when going up. I assumed they were just for going down.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Interesting. I actually have the breaks on mine. It never dawned on me to use them when going up. I assumed they were just for going down.

Try it while empty. If it rolls back too close to the edge, the brakes will turn on. If you are already at the edge, it won't roll back off the ledge or step.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I use the Big Wheels to pivot over a threshold. I don't like placing any weight on the threshold so I back the unit up to the edge of the front door and lower the Big Wheels onto the floor inside the room, push down on the handles to lift the wheels off and roll the unit into the room never touching the threshold.

Larry

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

More
    I use the Big Wheels to pivot over a threshold. I don't like placing any weight on the threshold so I back the unit up to the edge of the front door and lower the Big Wheels onto the floor inside the room, push down on the handles to lift the wheels off and roll the unit into the room never touching the threshold.
    Larry

Thats a better solution. Problem for me is that I have to use the stair climber to get on a small porch before going over the threshold step. I found something for my wife to do ... squeeze in to put the big wheels on once I get onto the small porch.

Good info in this thread.

#112 5 years ago

Anyone use one of these? I know it would help me
    a lot- but I hate dropping over $300 on it .... Larry do you sell stair extensions like this by any chance?

landinga (resized).JPGlandinga (resized).JPG

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Muscle it up over that tiny threshold Brian! Get little man to help you (cute dog).

#114 5 years ago

I watched Brett, an in shape Pinsider Beast, and my handyman Beast walk a LOTRLE down stairs with a 180 degree traverse and steep decline, legs on, no issues!!!

Not sure how Brett didn't blow out a hammy or calf but that was impressive.

Who needs an Escalera when you can do that?

#115 5 years ago

I rent a stair climbing dolly 1-2 times a year to rotate games in my basement for about $60 a pop. I figure it would take me over 20 years to justify the cost of buying one.

#116 5 years ago

I got mine from Larry a few years ago. I was glad that I had it. It sure helped during my move back to MI.

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I have no problem with normal stairs, but for some reason I find getting it up and over the front door threshold to be a bit more difficult.

On my front door, if I tip it back farther on the way in I can actually get it to drop onto the raised bit rather than in front of it.

4 months later
    #118 5 years ago

I’ve read all the posts, listened to friends who praise 8 lbs 4 oz baby Jesus about this thing, and have watched dozens of videos on how simple people make it seem to move a pin with Escalera. They’re either full of crap, or I’m doing something severely wrong. My forearms are destroyed and my knees hurt from stabilizing and rebalancing the pin from every single step. There is simply no way an old man can supposedly move this with such ease.

Coming back down on hardwood steps, it slips every step. I had to just lay the entire thing down on cardboard and slide it down the steps.

Will someone please explain this to me before I take a sledgehammer to it?

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from bzbatl:

I’ve read all the posts, listened to friends who praise 8 lbs 4 oz baby Jesus about this thing, and have watched dozens of videos on how simple people make it seem to move a pin with Escalera. They’re either full of crap, or I’m doing something severely wrong. My forearms are destroyed and my knees hurt from stabilizing and rebalancing the pin from every single step. There is simply no way an old man can supposedly move this with such ease.
    Coming back down on hardwood steps, it slips every step. I had to just lay the entire thing down on cardboard and slide it down the steps.

Larry from Flip N Out Pinball is no spring chicken...sorry Larry. Hopefully some guys can chime in on tips on using yours. If you go to a show that Flip N Out is at, I’m sure Larry will be happy to give you a crash course.

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from bzbatl:

If it's that bad, practice with it empty that way you can see the Escalera angle that is best for the stairs. My guess is that you are too close to the stair edge. The moving roller should never slip over the edge of the stairs. I opted for the brake attachment that detects the edge of the step to make sure you don't roll too close or off of it. For me, the top handles move less than 6 inches as it goes down the stairs ... and it is uneasy to trust it with a pin on it. I do get nervous doing it, but I'm getting more confident with it over time. It only slipped on a single stair once for me and that was because the brake mechanism reset on me when I was positioning before I went down the stairs, I relied on that brake to stop when close to the edge, was too close when I started, and the roller slipped down the step. Without the brakes, you will need to find that right spot on the step so that the rollers wont slip and not too far back which would make the top handles tip back and forth with pressure on you.

Without weight, go up and down and try to find that sweet spot where the top handles hardly move and it doesn't slip. Then add some weight of some sort and do it again and you should feel less forced pulling and pushing at the top handles.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from bzbatl:

Yes you are doing something severely wrong. Sorry but you are. I will be 70 very soon as Zach said and I use it every week. No issues even for an old man.

Your problem is that you are trying to balance the load to low since you say your forearms are destroyed. Find the balance point of your load. That's the sweet spot. At the balance point there should be little to no strain on you arms. I'm sure what you are afraid of is that the load will go forward crashing down the stairs. It won't if you maintain the balance. If the handle is to low and you are straining to hold the pin two things will happen. Your forearms will be destroyed and the sliders will hit the edge of the step before the lifting feet do. Then the sliders will do what they are supposed to do and let the hand truck slide down to the next step.

Watch the videos on my site and compare the angle I have the game at to how you are doing it. You are to low.

Practice with just the hand truck. With no load on it and see what happens when you bring the handles down to low. It will be exactly as you described. Then bring the handles up to the balance point and maintain that. Its very easy at that point.

Larry

We will be at Pinball Expo with stairs and you can practice on ours

#122 5 years ago

It works great on concrete. I moved an insanely heavy set of “carnival” games yesterday at an event, and the Escalera worked fantastic.

I’ve tried a few times without any weight on the unit. It’s nowhere near as simple as folks are making it out to be. Practice seems to be in order... but don’t really have much time to spend with it figuring all that out. This was supposed to help save time

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

Yes you are doing something severely wrong. Sorry but you are. I will be 70 very soon as Zach said and I use it every week. No issues even for an old man.
    Your problem is that you are trying to balance the load to low since you say your forearms are destroyed. Find the balance point of your load. That's the sweet spot. At the balance point there should be little to no strain on you arms. I'm sure what you are afraid of is that the load will go forward crashing down the stairs. It won't if you maintain the balance. If the handle is to low and you are straining to hold the pin two things will happen. Your forearms will be destroyed and the sliders will hit the edge of the step before the lifting feet do. Then the sliders will do what they are supposed to do and let the hand truck slide down to the next step.
    Watch the videos on my site and compare the angle I have the game at to how you are doing it. You are to low.
    Practice with just the hand truck. With no load on it and see what happens when you bring the handles down to low. It will be exactly as you described. Then bring the handles up to the balance point and maintain that. Its very easy at that point.
    Larry
    We will be at Pinball Expo with stairs and you can practice on ours

Thanks Larry, and understood - and figured someone would tell me that (which is why I considered it as an option!) Strangely enough, I believe this unit came from you... maybe we need to chat

I’ve watched a few videos and these steps are very, very different from what I’m working with. Interior of house, hardwood stair treads with a landing threshold. At the top of the stairs, the machine HAS to go vertical to get around the corner.

Works perfect on concrete, balancing it easily when there’s tons of room to maneuver, even with cabinets that were twice as heavy as the pinball machines. This scenario, not so much. Perhaps I need the brake attachment on it to get some trust with it?

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from bzbatl:

I have used mine to move machines, a solid oak filing cabinet and desk, commercial fridge, etc. This isn't to say "look at me," but provide my own experience and perspective. I myself have average (at best) strength and weigh around 170 lbs. It is absolutely about balance and the "sweet" spot, as I have never had to 'pull or push' weight with the unit. While I've known Kitch for nearly 20 years and he wouldn't sell me a unit without speaking with me first to make sure I was getting the unit that would work for me. Now that being said I have it at a point where some might not be comfortable as it isn't 'near' me and this has worked on wood, carpet, and concrete stairs. I can't say what exactly would work for you or anyone else, it is about trusting the unit as well as yourself, but that probably sounds like a broken record at this point. Good luck with everything.

Brad

#125 5 years ago

The only input I would give any new buyer is Buy the Longer unit! I believe its 66"? This detail is not often covered with peoples success stories as to which unit they have. Not saying they aren't both great but I think that added length Really helps with the so called load triangle and definitely makes a difference. Ask Larry all questions he loves to help and Know you are buying from a grade A seller granted an old guy....lol

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from bzbatl:

It works great on concrete. I moved an insanely heavy set of “carnival” games yesterday at an event, and the Escalera worked fantastic.
    I’ve tried a few times without any weight on the unit. It’s nowhere near as simple as folks are making it out to be. Practice seems to be in order... but don’t really have much time to spend with it figuring all that out. This was supposed to help save time

I've been using this as well as selling it for a long time. I've moved pretty much everything with it. I've use it in lots of situations. I sell it to lots of other folks outside of the arcade market. This is just a small part of where it is used. I've sell it to safe movers who move 1000 lb safes with it and come back for more units to put at each of their stores. So I'm pretty sure I've either been in your situation or close to it. I remember one time going down a set of metal stairs from the third floor in Chicago in winter with a game and there was ice and snow on the stairs. I did it by myself. My buddy was running to stop the cop from writing him a ticket and towing his truck.

I don't think of this as a time saver. Its a back saver. It allows one person to move heavy things up and down stairs.

Larry

#127 5 years ago

Larry, while it’s on my mind (and forgive me if this isn’t the proper place to ask) but I recently purchased a used unit built in 2002. The only accessory it came with was the extended toe plate.

Are current accessories compatible with the older units? I’m interested in getting the big wheel attachment and perhaps the wheel brakes for going down steps, as well as any parts for the drive mechanism that may need replacing or servicing due to age.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Larry, while it’s on my mind (and forgive me if this isn’t the proper place to ask) but I recently purchased a used unit built in 2002. The only accessory it came with was the extended toe plate.
    Are current accessories compatible with the older units? I’m interested in getting the big wheel attachment and perhaps the wheel brakes for going down steps, as well as any parts for the drive mechanism that may need replacing or servicing due to age.

Yes the accessories are compatible with older units. If you are interested in the SED-1 (Step Edge Detection) then you may have to change the toe plate to install it but I have a kit for the older units or a newer unit. Call me and I can give you pricing for any part you might need.

Larry

1 week later
    #129 5 years ago

I’ve been looking to buy a used Escalera for about five months now but nothing has come up, so I’m ready to pull the trigger on a new one (most likely from Larry). Before I make this rather expensive purchase I’m wondering if anyone can provide some info; My basement stairs have two small landings, about 38” square (each). In the past when I’ve moved pins up or down with a standard hand dolly, I’ve had to stand the machine upright on the landing, swivel it 90 degrees, squeeze my body between the dolly and the wall, and with much difficulty push the dolly wheels forward while tipping the machine back. Needless to say, with heavy pins like STTNG, this can be tricky and usually requires a second (brave) person below to help.

So my question is, will the Escalera MS-1-66 work on a 38”x38” landing? Or is there another powered dolly that might work better, maybe the Powermate L1? Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

#130 5 years ago

I have a 66in available for sale if anyone is interested

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from arzoo:

So my question is, will the Escalera MS-1-66 work on a 38”x38” landing?

With only 38" of room, you would probably be better off with the shorter model. Either way, it's going to be tough to do by yourself because of the lack of leverage. You can absolutely use an Escalera in your situation, but I think you will find it easier if you have someone below to assist with the landing. They will be able to help you by pulling the wheels forward so you can safely hang the game over the edge and then tilt it backwards.

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from arzoo:

I’ve been looking to buy a used Escalera for about five months now but nothing has come up, so I’m ready to pull the trigger on a new one (most likely from Larry). Before I make this rather expensive purchase I’m wondering if anyone can provide some info; My basement stairs have two small landings, about 38” square (each). In the past when I’ve moved pins up or down with a standard hand dolly, I’ve had to stand the machine upright on the landing, swivel it 90 degrees, squeeze my body between the dolly and the wall, and with much difficulty push the dolly wheels forward while tipping the machine back. Needless to say, with heavy pins like STTNG, this can be tricky and usually requires a second (brave) person below to help.
    So my question is, will the Escalera MS-1-66 work on a 38”x38” landing? Or is there another powered dolly that might work better, maybe the Powermate L1? Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

The escalera will work but with the same routine as your current hand dolly. I”m not familiar with the Powermate but suspect that it’s the same. They basically handle just like appliance dollies when the motorized stair climber is not being used.

2 weeks later
    #133 5 years ago

Maybe this will help others see what I mean about taking a pin up stairs on 4 legs.

#134 5 years ago

I used the forklift attachment on my Escalera for the first time the other day. A guy delivered a pin to me with the coin door facing the rear of his truck. I normally unload a game by leaning it out of the vehicle and carefully setting the back of it on the ground, however this was not possible due to the orientation of the game. So I threw on the forklift attachment, rolled my Escalera right up to the back of the truck, and raised to forks to the height of the tailgate. This allowed us to easily slide the game out onto the Escalera, and then carefully lower it to the ground using the hand crank.

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

Nowadays, I just hire a helper using TaskRabbit. They are usually something like $30-$40/hr. I figure I'd have to move about 20 machines before the escalera was worth it. I move a game up my stairs maybe 3-4 times per year, so it wasn't really worth it to me.

I tried this strategy a few months back and proceeded to use it for my last three pinball purchases. Works great - small money, no wear and tear on the back, and fairly convenient. Thanks for posting the idea.

#136 5 years ago

Got my Escalera about two years ago. Also purchased the fold out wheels to help move it a good distance on flat ground..didn't need the big wheel attachment and decided to go this route. Wish I've gotten the Escalera 10 years ago as most people say. It's awesome. I usually have someone else there just to watch in case for whatever reason there is an issue. No issues so far and used probably 50 times.

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Maybe this will help others see what I mean about taking a pin up stairs on 4 legs.

The legs weren't designed for this. Sooner or later one will buckle.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : I once did this too and got lucky I never had an accident.

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Ive done this more then a few times in a pinch but I do not train my guys to do it. Leaves a bit to much risk, or bending a leg or if the leg is not screwed on tight causing damage to art or game

#139 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Man, that's intense. So usually the legs would be taken off I'm assuming?

Do you guys have to use this much between Starport and Helicon for your tables? (Love those joints, by the way!)

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I have done this 17 years of my life. I have seen at least a dozen operators do that same thing with a regular kickback dolly. Never had it happen once. Have you actually seen it happen? Either way I can see if it was cheap steel but the legs seem very sturdy.

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Man, that's intense. So usually the legs would be taken off I'm assuming?
    Do you guys have to use this much between Starport and Helicon for your tables? (Love those joints, by the way!)

We have many locations that require the use of this dolly for multiple reasons. Some of our sprinters do not have lift gates so we are able to BOOM the units down to the ground with this type of dolly.

Starport and Helicon specifically have easy load in and out areas. Thankfully. Haha.

Thanks for the support. We appreciate it. I'm glad you like it! =)

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Also thinking further about this, the legs only take additional weight when you are tipping the machine back initially or when you are setting it down. Once the machine is tipped back, the backside of the cabinet is supporting the machine against the front of the dolly.

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I have done this 17 years of my life. I have seen at least a dozen operators do that same thing with a regular kickback dolly. Never had it happen once. Have you actually seen it happen? Either way I can see if it was cheap steel but the legs seem very sturdy.

OK....... But we are not operators were collectors. No way in hell im taking a chance like that with mine or my games. Bend one leg or have it slip off the nose plate and cause damage. Not at my house.

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

OK....... But we are not operators were collectors. No way in hell im taking a chance like that with mine or my games. Bend one leg or have it slip of the nose plate and cause damage. Not at my house.

Absolutely true. I agree with you. I've personally never dropped one but I just wanted to provide another option for people that may be interested in one. I would only do what I am comfortable with so your point is well received.

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Have you actually seen it happen?

I've seen it reported on RGP and Pinside.

They tried blaming cheap legs, but no leg was designed for it.

Like I said, I've done it. I've been lucky.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I've seen it reported on RGP and Pinside.
    They tried blaming cheap legs, but no leg was designed for it.
    Like I said, I've done it. I've been lucky.

There is certainly a careless way to do it and a cautious way. Just in terms of leaning the game back. Either way I appreciate your opinion on this Llyod. Thanks! =)

2 months later
    #147 5 years ago

So - I have an escalera - and I need to make use of it tonight - but it's raining like hell outside and will be for most of the day. I generally move it using the hitch attachment, so it's exposed to the elements. This hasn't been an issue yet - but anyone have any suggestion for keeping it dry? (or is it not a big deal provided I dry it off once I get where I'm going?)

I figure the painted metal and aluminum probably aren't much of a concern - but am worried about the gear box and the battery of course.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

So - I have an escalera - and I need to make use of it tonight - but it's raining like hell outside and will be for most of the day. I generally move it using the hitch attachment, so it's exposed to the elements. This hasn't been an issue yet - but anyone have any suggestion for keeping it dry? (or is it not a big deal provided I dry it off once I get where I'm going?)
    I figure the painted metal and aluminum probably aren't much of a concern - but am worried about the gear box and the battery of course.

It will be fine. Dry it off as best you can but you really can't hurt it.

#149 5 years ago

Larry - Continued excellent customer service even after retirement??? Man - I'm glad I bought from you. Looks like I'm picking up a new one and helping move some others, so I'm glad I can hang it off the back no problem after all. Thank you again for everything!

Seriously - good luck and enjoy retirement!

#150 5 years ago

from the PowerMate website

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

There are 264 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalara-pros-amp-cons/page/3?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.