(Topic ID: 197555)

Equifax data breach - 143 million customers affected; SS numbers, birth dates...

By ForceFlow

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

#1 6 years ago

Equifax, which supplies credit information and other information services, said Thursday that a cybersecurity incident discovered on July 29 could have potentially affected 143 million consumers in the U.S. "The leaked data includes names, birth dates, social security numbers, addresses and potentially drivers licenses," reports CNBC. "209,000 U.S. credit card numbers were also obtained, in addition to 'certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers."

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Richard F. Smith said in a statement: "This is clearly a disappointing event for our company, and one that strikes at the heart of who we are and what we do. I apologize to consumers and our business customers for the concern and frustration this causes. We pride ourselves on being a leader in managing and protecting data, and we are conducting a thorough review of our overall security operations. We also are focused on consumer protection and have developed a comprehensive portfolio of services to support all U.S. consumers, regardless of whether they were impacted by this incident." Equifax is now alerting customers whose information was included in the breach via mail, and is working with state and federal authorities.

UPDATE (9/7/17): According to Bloomberg, "three Equifax senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8 million" in the days after the company discovered the security breach. Regulatory filings show that three days after the breach was discovered on July 29th, Chief Financial Officer John Gamble sold shares worth $946,374 and Joseph Loughran, president of U.S. information solutions, exercised options to dispose of stock worth $584,099." Meanwhile, "Rodolfo Ploder, president of workforce solutions, sold $250,458 of stock on Aug. 2."

https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/09/07/2056203/credit-reporting-firm-equifax-announces-cybersecurity-incident-impacting-approximately-143-million-us-consumers

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/business/equifax-cyberattack.html?mcubz=0

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/technology/business/equifax-data-breach/index.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-08/equifax-sued-over-massive-hack-in-multibillion-dollar-lawsuit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/09/08/after-data-breach-equifax-asks-consumers-for-social-security-numbers-to-see-if-theyve-been-affected/

#2 6 years ago

I don't know what makes me more pissed. Possibly getting my info stolen, or these A-holes dumping stocks before it went down

#3 6 years ago

For such a large number in the headline, the number of US customers affected seems to be pretty small

Quoted from Haymaker:

I don't know what makes me more pissed. Possibly getting my info stolen, or these A-holes dumping stocks before it went down

The SEC will likely have some hefty fines for this. Insider trading much? And yesterday would have been a great day to buy puts on EFX. Down ~$20 (14.X%) currently.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

For such a large number in the headline, the number of US customers affected seems to be pretty small

The SEC will likely have some hefty fines for this. Insider trading much? And yesterday would have been a great day to buy puts on EFX. Down ~$20 (14.X%) currently.

Agreed, and I wouldn't be surprised if some jail time came from it.

Thanks goodness I've got Identify theft protection on my whole family. Super cheap and they've already helped when my SSN was used to create some fake accounts a couple months ago. Come to think of it, this may be how that happened

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Thanks goodness I've got Identify theft protection on my whole family. Super cheap and they've already helped when my SSN was used to create some fake accounts a couple months ago. Come to think of it, this may be how that happened

Who do you use? I'm listed in the "Might be effected" group on their website. A-holes.

#6 6 years ago

Just freeze your credit with the credit agencies and Chexx, it's the easiest way to address this.

And yes, my identity was stolen and used with the IRS previously.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Quoted from 85vett:

How could they be so stupid to do that? And the trades were for "only" a million bucks or so. You know those guys are rolling in it. Why take such a GD huge risk?!

Where did it say that not many US customers were affected? This is not the case from what I'm seeing.

This pisses me off on so many levels, not the least of which is the HUGE amount of money these companies already make selling this information to credit cards and other seekers of financial demographic info. Then they waited FORTY (40!!) days to disclose. Do I think our government will do anything about it? Not this bunch of backbone-less wimps we have in office.

#8 6 years ago

Don't worry...if you are affected, you just have to give them all your info AGAIN and they will protect you
AND you waive the right to sue their ass if there is a class action...AND, it's only 1 year of free monitoring then you get to PAY them for further protection which you will surely need as these guys will sit on the info for the free period.

Freeze your credit sounds like the way to go.

#10 6 years ago

They need to send people gift cards or something . Teach these large companies they can't mess with people's personal data and should have excellent security. Stupid Equifax. Dummies.

#11 6 years ago

unfucking real. i pay these morons to protect me, now they leak my shit? unreal. i've had my credit card compromised 6 times in 2 years, now this shit? so lame.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

unfucking real. i pay these morons to protect me, now they leak my shit? unreal. i've had my credit card compromised 6 times in 2 years, now this shit? so lame.

They need to send you a gift card!

#15 6 years ago

Placed a freeze with all 3 credit agencies. Very easy to do online. Of course my info has been out there for 6 weeks already....

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Who do you use? I'm listed in the "Might be effected" group on their website. A-holes.

I use ID Shield. It's part of my Legal Shield Membership. I pay about $40 a month for a family of 4 for ID theft protection as well as legal services. Used several times and it works great. If interested PM me as my dad sells memberships and I can get you his contact info.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

it's only 1 year of free monitoring then you get to PAY them for further protection which you will surely need as these guys will sit on the info for the free period.
Freeze your credit sounds like the way to go.

BINGO. The monitoring is not what you need. It's the services that help fight for you to get your name cleared up again is what is needed (and not going to be provided).

Freezing your credit report is a great thing to do and I suggest it to everyone but that doesn't stop them from opening up fake accounts. My report has been frozen for years now due to a prior identity issue and yet they still opened up accounts with my info. Just one example was they set up a wireless account under my name. I had no idea until the collection letters came in since my credit wasn't run to open the account. I only offer that up to justify why I say freezing your credit report is not the end for how your identity can be compromised.

Last note on this unless questions directed towards me as I don't want people to think I'm trying to sell anything as that is not my intention. I just want to share my experience so others know what can happen. Be sure and cover your kids SSN's as well. Trust me, they can get that as well with your info.

#18 6 years ago

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/09/10/0128214/techcrunch-equifax-hack-checking-web-site-is-returning-random-results

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/08/psa-no-matter-what-you-write-equifax-may-tell-you-youve-been-impacted-by-the-hack/

So, it's sound like the equifax hack checking site doesn't actually check anything and returns results at random.

What this means is not only are none of the last names tied to your Social Security number, but there’s no way to tell if you were really impacted.

It’s clear Equifax’s goal isn’t to protect the consumer or bring them vital information. It’s to get you to sign up for its revenue-generating product TrustID.

Earlier it was revealed executives had sold stock in the company before going public with the leak. We also found TrustID’s Terms of Service to be disturbing. The wording is such that anyone signing up for the product is barred from suing the company after.

#19 6 years ago

I think at this point we need to start helping out the NY AG's office as much as possible. How? I'm not sure ,but it's pretty damn obvious this is yet another thing that was supposed to help and protect the consumer, and ends up royally screwing them in the end

#20 6 years ago

I had been made aware of this earlier, as my brother was involved to a degree.
bunch of articles with his views:

http://tinyurl.com/yawzcp2c

What is shared from his perspective, is they are suppose to be the litmus test, and Gold standard for PCI compliance.
Also their efforts to delay and hide this info.

In short, what has been shared, is really the tip of a major problem in internet security, that not only includes this but much much more, and we, the public, are not hearing but around 10% of the problems.
Its much more, than our individual identities, and what I am allowed to hear, is downright scary...

Nothing we can do, but you might see some major stories coming shortly, if they chose to release this info.

1 month later
#21 6 years ago

Still dont think any of those involved in selling stocks have seen any legal action against them... crazy

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/equifax-data-breach-143-million-customers-affected and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.