Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by slghokie
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2732_amd_am2732bdc.jpg
    20231108_115327 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4841 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4825 (resized).JPG
    2732_ns_nmc27c32bq_150.jpg
    20231105_232554 (resized).jpg
    20231105_232601 (resized).jpg
    2732_Remark.jpg
    IMG_4812 (resized).JPG
    MPU-35a_27128ROM.png
    20221125_183517 (resized).jpg
    term (resized).jpg
    EPROM_Intel_Versatile_Algorithm_Equipment_Cut_EPROM_Programming_Time.pdf (PDF preview)
    IMG_4193 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4190 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4185 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I don’t have an eprom burner. Never needed one. I’ve had a few replacements made by a person on here when I needed them. His cost is always reasonable. And I don’t know the first thing about programming them. I’m going to need a lot of help if I get into this. I have accumulated a few Bally and Stern MPU boards. I thought about selling a couple but I would want it to have the proper ROMs for the buyers game. – Plug and Play. Can the ROMS be fully tested on the bench – without the game?

I’ve read several posts about Eprom Burners and the ‘go to’ programmer looks like the GQ-4x4. :

ebay.com link: GQ PRG 055 GQ 4X V4 GQ 4X4 EPROM chip Burner USB Universal Programmer 29F400

Some say it needs an external power supply. Do you use an external supply? What do I need for external power supply? Is it easy to program? Out of 10 tries how many come out good? – How many junk?

Some programmers come with additional adaptors but I don’t think I’ll need the extra stuff just to burn Bally / Stern ROMs.

There are tons of different Eproms out there for the Stern / Bally boards. Seems like they vary in memory size but the same physical size. There are also some with a window on top – some without. I understand the window top needs a UV oven to erase them. Can you erase the non-window type? Or is that a one time use only? Where do you get your chips? How many should I have on hand? Not sure I want cheap ROM’s. If it don’t work I won’t know if it’s the ROM, the programmer, or me.

Is there a place to download programs? How long does it usually take to burn a set for a game?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I go along.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks brenna, I saw that video (a few times). But I still have a bunch of questions.

Bob

#6 4 years ago

Thanks passave, I’m hopping not to break the bank on this adventure. And I don’t see me needing multiple machines to burn only pinball game ROMs. Just the burner and maybe a UV oven. And perhaps an external power supply.

I read the GQ-4X manual and it doesn’t say much about the power supply. The way I understand it a powered USB port should work but an external power supply would be like a backup in case the USB is not enough power. The manual doesn’t say what to use for external power. Would a wall-wart work? What voltage do I need? Those of you who have used the GQ-4x, what are you using?

Thanks zacaj, you answered a bunch of questions I had. I’m learning:
    PROMS = one use only
    EPROMS = erasable with UV oven
    EEPROMS = erasable with burner (no UV needed) This seems like the best option.

I checked Marco and they seem expensive (3.00 each). But Jameco is 5.95 each. Where is everyone getting their chips?

I still have a few questions:

Why are there different programming voltages and which voltage are you suppose to use?

Looks like the difference in EPROMS is the memory size. What is the most common size for pinball games?

I understand there are other programs written to check other things on a board. Are those programs available to download or do I have to write them myself? I have no idea how to write programs and I don’t think it’s something I want to try to learn.

Thanks

Bob

#8 4 years ago

It's past 4 AM here and with this info i'm getting data overload. I'll need to read it again in the morning. Looks like just the stuff I'm looking for.

One thing i did catch is you don't use the GQ-4X.What programer do you use (probably some professional equipment)?

I'll get back to you tomorrow when I'm awake,

Thanks

Bob

#15 4 years ago

To me this is a treasure trove of EPROM information. It’s taken me some time to soak it all in. I know I’ve read this thread a dozen times. But as always the more I learn the more questions I have.

I really hope not to invest 10K into burning ROMs. I can get a lot of ROMs burned by someone else for 10K. However, most of the items Passave listed, I already have. I’m hoping to invest under $200.00 for this adventure.

How do you know what voltage to use? I think the software that comes with the unit recognizes the EPROM. Does it also tell what voltage to use?

Some call the burner GQ 4X and others call it GQ 4X4. Is there a difference? Is the GQ 4X an older version? I can’t find a 4X – only 4X4’s.

I know I need a burner (4X or 4X4). And a UV oven. I think I have a 9 volt wall-wart but I know I have a 12 volt. Will 12 volt work? I’d like to have an inventory of about 10 -12 of each common EPROMs. – 2732’s – 27512 - 27128 – 27256. Do I really need all those types for Bally / Stern games?

I don’t want to have a ton of EPROMs inventoried is why I asked about the most commonly used EPROMs for Bally / Stern games. I have changed jumpers on a couple of games (not easy but I did it). As long as the directions are on Pin Wiki. I changed 4 ROMS to 2 ROMS on a F2K and 2 ROMS to one on a Trident.

How do you double the program space – burn it twice or load the buffer twice. Is that easy to do?

Quench listed a couple of links of EPROMs. I’m guessing every manufacturer has their own part number for the same part. (This is always confusing for me). Is there any way to decipher what their part numbers refer to or do you have to check each data sheet?

If you guys could list the EPROMS you use and the supplier it would be a great help. I’m having a problem finding the proper EPROMs and suppliers.

I’m also finding the pin outs on EPROMs are different. Shouldn’t all Bally / Stern games have the same pin outs?

Thank you all for the lessons and information. I’m sure I’ll be asking more questions.

Bob

#27 4 years ago

I’m about to join the EPROM burning club. My E-bay cart:

ebay (resized).JPGebay (resized).JPG

I hope you guys don’t think I’m a real PITA with all these questions but I’m learning something new here.

I’m not totally against buying from China – just very cautious. (by the way can you catch Coronavirus through the mail?) A while back I bought 10 PIAs from China for less than 1 PIA from the states. Only one of those 10 tested bad. Where is a good place to buy EPROMs in China? This store has both 2716’s and 2732’s. Do I need any other EPROM’s from there?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32858483126.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.77ebf259HEIqnm&algo_pvid=3f0bc911-e31f-420e-83f7-f72ccd09221e&algo_expid=3f0bc911-e31f-420e-83f7-f72ccd09221e-3&btsid=4ca1b501-10d5-40e7-a57f-ac417b0efd7f&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2,searchweb201603_53

I think I like the idea of using 2716’s instead of doubling the data. Besides when I looked at Leon’s test ROM page he said to load it onto a 2716 ROM. That brings up another question – how do you know which ROM to use? I just looked a couple of boards I’m working on (Bally-17 and Bally-35) and none say 2716 or 2732. Why can’t they make this easy?

Bally-17

IMG_4145 (resized).JPGIMG_4145 (resized).JPG

IMG_4146 (resized).JPGIMG_4146 (resized).JPG

Bally-35

IMG_4148 (resized).JPGIMG_4148 (resized).JPG

IMG_4149 (resized).JPGIMG_4149 (resized).JPG

IMG_4150 (resized).JPGIMG_4150 (resized).JPG

I just glanced over the post from PPS. The answer may be there but it seems very confusing – I’ll have to study it more closely.

Quoted from Quench:

Bally-17 and Stern MPU-100 require mods to use 2716 or 2732 EPROMs.

Are you saying if I burn ROMS for Bally-17’s or Stern-100’s that I must make modifications to the MPU? What EPROMs would be a direct replacement?

Last question for tonight. What’s the difference between 2532 and 2732?

#32 4 years ago

pinfixer, I’m sure you’re right about the 2716 but I think I should have a few on hand just in case. I’ve ordered twice as many 2732’s.

I looked over Quench’s post on converting -17 to -35. It doesn’t look too complicated and I’m sure I’ll be doing some converting soon. However, (as they say) a picture is worth a thousand words. Anyone have any photos of this conversion? Also what kind of wire do you use?

Quench, thanks for the photo explaining the ROM type. That is very helpful. Sometime back you posted a list of Stern ROM numbers for which games. (I think it was German) Very helpful and I have it in my pinball file. Is there a similar list for Bally games?

Quoted from Quench:

2532 are a drop in replacement for 9332.

Then wouldn't a 2516 be a drop in replacement for 9316?

Quoted from Quench:

oldschoolbob can you please post a single picture of your Eightball MPU board clearly showing both ROM chips for my reference? Thanks.

That would be the -17 board? It is still intact. I'll take some photos tomorrow.

However I have these photos of a Bally Eightball I worked on sometime ago.

Let me know if you need more photos.

Thanks

Bob

IMG_0748 (resized).JPGIMG_0748 (resized).JPGIMG_0822 (resized).JPGIMG_0822 (resized).JPGIMG_0870 (resized).JPGIMG_0870 (resized).JPG
    #38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

The Eightball ROM pictures you attached in post #27 were the later version Eightball ROMs that aren't documented (not even in their parts catalogs) as being used together. That's the reason I'd like a picture of that board to keep for reference as evidence they co-existed.

Hope these help - need more just let me know.

I can't say those ROMs work together. This board is DOA. Solid on LED.

IMG_4176 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_4176 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_4177 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_4177 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_4179 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_4179 - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_4183 (resized).JPGIMG_4183 (resized).JPGIMG_4184 (resized).JPGIMG_4184 (resized).JPGIMG_4185 (resized).JPGIMG_4185 (resized).JPG
    #39 4 years ago

Thanks for the photos pinfixer. Nice job. That don't look bad at all. I usually cringe when I see wires all over the back of a board.

Bob

IMG_4190 (resized).JPGIMG_4190 (resized).JPGIMG_4193 (resized).JPGIMG_4193 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eproms-and-burners?tu=oldschoolbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.