Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by slghokie
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2732_amd_am2732bdc.jpg
    20231108_115327 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4841 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4825 (resized).JPG
    2732_ns_nmc27c32bq_150.jpg
    20231105_232554 (resized).jpg
    20231105_232601 (resized).jpg
    2732_Remark.jpg
    IMG_4812 (resized).JPG
    MPU-35a_27128ROM.png
    20221125_183517 (resized).jpg
    term (resized).jpg
    EPROM_Intel_Versatile_Algorithm_Equipment_Cut_EPROM_Programming_Time.pdf (PDF preview)
    IMG_4193 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4190 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4185 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joydivision.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 3 years ago

Having problems getting my GQ-4x4 to work on my new pc with windows 10. Getting a message that the burner isn't connecting to the software. Was fine on the old pc. Tried to update driver in case that may have been the problem, but was unable to - not sure if this was the problem anyway. Have also tried the early software that came with the burner & the latest software from the mfg site.

Anyone know if the problem is driver related & what to do, or what else I could try to get it working?

Thanks.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I have an older model which you have to install the driver manually. it does not plug and play properly.
    Download and extract
    http://www.mcumall.com/downloads/download.asp?DownloadID=56
    From memory... plug in usb plug the burner
    open up device manager (search for device manager in the win10 search by the start button)
    find the unknown device in other devices expanded part. If there is more than one unplug / plug in the burner noticing what disapears/comes back.
    Update driver. Choose browse for driver manually. Point at the folder from the download link.

Great, thanks, will try that.

3 years later
    #83 5 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Anyone have a reliable source for 2732(a)'s? I have a batch I purchased off Ebay months ago and not a single one will program. Either with my newer burner or an ancient Pocket Programmer parallel port model. All of them fail around the 2% though a single one made it to 54%

If you are using the new 2732 "fakes" out there like the one below, you can usually get them to work if you set the burner for generic 2732 & programme @ 25V. Were your chips new/fakes or used? The fact you are getting a similar failure rate across all of them would seem like the case as that would not happen with a bunch of used unless all were compromised in the same way.

There are the fake new Hitachi's out there as well.

I just got another lot of used HN462716 eproms the other day, never had a problem with any lots I have bought & they are always erased when I get them.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/363837388333?hash=item54b665f62d:g:nY8AAMXQjwVQ~Uq5

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/123502210036?epid=1111725623&hash=item1cc14e2bf4:g:kmkAAOSwM7lckKHh&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4PG9ZNov3OkZeugHtzWAtkp03WWAtTn5SjdyMHcazMp7Av%2F1qstjLaABWHXtM0BWYDiNH2R7r74GjFQncfgrxnzI8v6DswOVd7pkC2WsKxVDOe6rhmjK4Q8%2FSZpBK164FNNphOSa8gTxP92dQfK%2F7IUV9EUlyDA5Jcb%2FpwtKmc5f645HTmW20zfDknyU3s8o%2Fmwed%2F4tAQ1lcd5XULnBOivsj5ss2bm81Jj1pc0Oae7pFRrtNEd07Q%2FFBDm0oYiQQ%2BRm3rutEb2TfD1LxaV9kMTr2j5pvYCPVAOrTauTVWfE%7Ctkp%3ABFBMgPmGnfRi

IMG_4812 (resized).JPGIMG_4812 (resized).JPG

#85 5 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:

I don't remember whether programming them at 21V blew them. Try programming them at 12.5V

I had a note on my tube of these bootleg 2732s to programme set up as Generic 2732 at 25V - I thought andrew @Barakandi may have suggested this somewhere along the line? can't remember. So lower voltage not higher is recommended.

#88 5 months ago

So the chinese M2732A chips need to be programmed at 12.5V to start with, if that doesn't work then try 21V & then 25V as you don't know really what they actually really are. Then some won't work regardless.

Used pulls are a much better option than these I think.

#90 5 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

To be honest I have had a good success rate with these till now.

Sounds like you just got a bad batch from that seller.

#92 5 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Here's a web site showing some EPROM silicon die images - click on the 2732 link on the left frame. Does that National Semiconductor NM27C32BQ-150 die look familiar to the above ST remarked chips? Programming voltage is marked as 12.75V

http://brainstones.narod.ru/collection_uv_eprom/_uv_left.htm
    http://brainstones.narod.ru/collection_uv_eprom/2732.htm

When you match the silicon die, the datasheets will tell what programming voltage and pulse width the chip needs.
    Here's that NS part picture for reference:

Great info Quench! that's a great resource to definitively determine what chip you have & the programming voltage.

Agreed the silicon die matches the NS part. Also the other NS part NM27C32Q-45 is identical to the ST remarked eproms with the larger die that some have in the above pics..

I have looked very closely under magnification & the chips I have & they are not used, sanded & refinished chips, they are brand new for sure.

Would these be then newly manufactured chips based on the NS silicon die(s) & then marked ST to simply sell for more than an NS chip?

#95 5 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:

The ETC2732Q datasheet specifies it's a 25V program part, and the NS NM27C32 datasheet says the same. The Q in the part number refers to ceramic DIP package.

That would explain why those particular remarks worked with a 25v programme.

Quoted from Quench:

Are you referring to the picture you posted above? They are definitely are all remarks. Considering there's different silicon die in the mix they cannot all really be manufactured on the same date code (also no way they were made in 2007) and with identical markings.

Quoted from Quench:

I doubt anyone is newly manufacturing 2732 EPROMs. If you're talking about other ST 2732 EPROMs that gives you this suspicion, post some pics so we can have a look.

Yes, referring to the pics in post #83. I had another close look, here is a close up pic of one, yes remarks as you said, these are very good & do not look like the usual remarks where the top has been sanded, quite often a bit crooked too.

I think the whole chip maybe has been sandblasted (with maybe the glass covered) to look uniform then retinned/restamped. The top of the legs look sandblasted.

IMG_4825 (resized).JPGIMG_4825 (resized).JPG

#97 5 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Hmm, I always thought those grey silicon blobs were from factory. Looking at a bunch of local NOS ST M2732A a friend gave me, none of them have those blobs.

You saw the question & pic about the silicon before I edited it out! I realised the silicon blobs were of no importance & probably there from the factory or even added to the remarks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joydivision.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eproms-and-burners?tu=joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.