Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by slghokie
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2732_amd_am2732bdc.jpg
    20231108_115327 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4841 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4825 (resized).JPG
    2732_ns_nmc27c32bq_150.jpg
    20231105_232554 (resized).jpg
    20231105_232601 (resized).jpg
    2732_Remark.jpg
    IMG_4812 (resized).JPG
    MPU-35a_27128ROM.png
    20221125_183517 (resized).jpg
    term (resized).jpg
    EPROM_Intel_Versatile_Algorithm_Equipment_Cut_EPROM_Programming_Time.pdf (PDF preview)
    IMG_4193 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4190 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4185 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Apparently yes. Over exposure to UV can render the EPROM un-programmable. How long is over exposure?, not sure.

I have a stand alone 4 chip erasing unit with timer setting, I always use the minimum setting of 5 minutes due to warnings about excessively exposing chips. Worse case one or two chips need to get another five minute pass when I do another batch of four.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

The erasure time depends on the light intensity of the UV lamp. I must admit my eraser is about 25 years old.
    If yours only does 4 chips, is it one of the cheap Chinese erasers commonly listed on ebay?
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

No, one I picked up about 20-25 years ago, Dataerase II. Same time I picked up my parallel port Pocket Programmer.

One pictured in middle of this Ebay auction listing.
    s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

2 years later
    #73 1 year ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

My side note:
    I finally have a Williams/Bally DCS sound board EPROMs fail.
    The game would boot and give one bong...
    Through the years the "bong" would finally give six bongs to one bong... Finally stayed on six bongs.
    I had to replace two EPROMs; all back to just one power up bong.
    This is my first experience, with a personal game, that the EPROMs have failed.
    Odd and fascinating at the same time.. I'm so glad pinball enthusiast people have made copies of the
    SND software, I owe them a bit of gratitude.

I just replaced a High Speed sound EPROM, failed checksum.

11 months later
    #81 5 months ago

Anyone have a reliable source for 2732(a)'s? I have a batch I purchased off Ebay months ago and not a single one will program. Either with my newer burner or an ancient Pocket Programmer parallel port model. All of them fail around the 2% though a single one made it to 54%

#86 5 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Probably 2 or so years ago there were counterfeits out of China of ST branded 2732A chips that were actually National Semiconductor 2732B chips based on the internal silicon die. These use a programming voltage of 12.5V, not 21V as printed on the chip. The below picture was sent to me from frunch of said part - looks the same as some of the ones Joydivision posted: I don't remember whether programming them at 21V blew them. Try programming them at 12.5V
    [quoted image]

That looks like them. I tried all three voltages with the older burner and it made no difference.

Running a dump after shows 4-8 locations programmed and that's it. They erase fine but refuse to program further than the amount I indicated above.

Recycled some 2532's from Vector S&T, worked just fine.

#87 5 months ago
    Quoted from Joydivision:

If you are using the new 2732 "fakes" out there like the one below, you can usually get them to work if you set the burner for generic 2732 & programme @ 25V. Were your chips new/fakes or used?

These were new.

ebay.com link: itm

Don't trust the picture in ad, the cores are larger I think. I'll take a picture.

#89 5 months ago
    Quoted from Joydivision:

So the chinese M2732A chips need to be programmed at 12.5V to start with, if that doesn't work then try 21V & then 25V as you don't know really what they actually really are. Then some won't work regardless.
    Used pulls are a much better option than these I think.

To be honest I have had a good success rate with these till now.

20231105_232554 (resized).jpg20231105_232554 (resized).jpg20231105_232601 (resized).jpg20231105_232601 (resized).jpg
    #99 5 months ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=2732a

Marco looks to be selling remarked chips.

The two with the small core would program at 21v but not at 12.5v.

The large core would not program AT ALL regardless of voltage.

Help line at Marco said they were sending more my way today and would look into the issue.

20231108_115327 (resized).jpg20231108_115327 (resized).jpg

#101 5 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:

The reality is it's probably difficult/expensive finding real NOS or used pulls in the US in decent quantity anymore. Guesstimate they went out of production in the 90's.

They are advertising they are pulls, which is why I was willing to pay $5 a pop. It actually states "pulls" on my invoice and clearly are not.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eproms-and-burners?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.