6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mack505
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I have a GQ-4X programmer with a 12v/1.5ma external power supply. Has worked well when burning the game roms (27c040, 27c4001), but I want to update the sound roms for my Demolition Man (specifically the Williams_1994_Demolition_Man_Home_ROMs_H_6_Set_Sound_And_Game_Swear_ROMs set).

U6 and SU2 are both UV erasable 27c4001 chips. The other, original sound chips (SU3-SU9) in the game are 27c4000, without the UV window.

I get errors when trying to write the 27c4000 chips - fails immediately at X address. Trying to erase these initially gives a message that they can't, or don't need to be erased.

Does anyone have any guidance on this? Thanks in advance!

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from mack505:

The other, original sound chips (SU3-SU9) in the game are 27c4000, without the UV window.

Did you remove the paper labels to expose the windows?

#3 6 years ago

You cannot re-program 27C4000 - those are OTP, one-time-programming. You will need to buy new, empty chips.

It's very likely you don't even need to do that - updates never include those chips, they're ''fixed'', so to speak, though I'm not 100% about that DemoMan set.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Did you remove the paper labels to expose the windows?

Yes, the 27c4000 do not have the UV window

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

You cannot re-program 27C4000 - those are OTP, one-time-programming. You will need to buy new, empty chips.
    It's very likely you don't even need to do that - updates never include those chips, they're ''fixed'', so to speak, though I'm not 100% about that DemoMan set.

Ah, ok, that would be great if that is the case. I will give that a shot.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

If I do need to write new chips for SU3-SU9, what would be the recommended replacement for the 27C4000?

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from mack505:

If I do need to write new chips for SU3-SU9, what would be the recommended replacement for the 27C4000?

Load up the given files in the ZIp file, and verify against what's on the chips already. If it matches, then no need to replace and reprogram them.

27C4001 can be used in 27C4000's place, no problem.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Load up the given files in the ZIp file, and verify against what's on the chips already. If it matches, then no need to replace and reprogram them.
    27C4001 can be used in 27C4000's place, no problem.

Awesome, thank you!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eprom-writing-question?hl=mack505 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.