Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ANGTFT.jpg
    IMG_4051.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viperrwk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The blank check doesn't seem to actually check the *entire* chip--just the beginning, as far as I can tell.

The GQ-4X blank checks the entire chip. I've had plenty of chips I thought I fully erased fail a blank check in the higher address ranges, gone in and read those address locations and saw data.

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

My PP3 doesn't like to burn 2732s.

I think you meant 2532 here Chris.

Quoted from 85Txaggie:

Are you using an external power supply for the programmer?

This is the first thing to try. Next try a different USB port then after that a different computer. If that doesn't work try blowing out the ZIF socket with compressed air. You can open up the programmer and try reseating the ZIF socket to the board. You may also have a bad set of EPROMs that won't program. Lastly, there may also be a bug in the config for the chip - check it in the devices.txt file. I've seen this before as well.

viperrwk

#11 8 years ago

For many devices (not all), blank checking also uses Vpp voltage (program verify) which the read does not. I've never had a device which blank checked ok on a GQ-4X that I couldn't program correctly and always go by the blank check - I never bother reading the device after blank checking.

If you've had devices that blank checked ok but could still read data, you should report it to MCU Mall since that would be a bug. It could be a device compatibility issue or a programmer fault (they do go bad, even new ones) since that should never happen. They are very responsive to technical requests.

viperrwk

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Sounds like a software issue to me

Which would be a device compatibility issue - problem with the programming algorithm, config, etc.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I got my unit from somewhere else, so I don't think MCU would really help a non-customer.

[email protected] - I'll bet they'll respond if you email them the details of the problem.

What was the device? Lots of people use this programmer and if it has a bug with this device it would be good to know.

viperrwk

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from GetTheJackpot:

I'm surprised nobody has come up with a modern replacement for old UV eproms, using newer flash roms and such.

You *could* replace a 2716 with a 28C16 for example:

ebay.com link: 28C16 15 EEprom

But given the higher price and the relatively short data retention compared to an EPROM why would you? The only reason would be if you were writing your own code and trying it out in a machine and needed to erase and reprogram frequently.

viperrwk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viperrwk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eprom-programming-question?tu=viperrwk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.