(Topic ID: 289227)

EPROM burner

By The_Pump_House

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago

The size of the image file is almost always the indicator of what chip to burn it on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPROM#EPROM_generations,_sizes_and_types

In a lot of cases a larger eprom can replace smaller eprom of the same pin count if you put the data in the right place or even simply repeat the image file until the chip is full.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I can just binary merge/copy the same rom until it’s the correct size right?

In most cases yes. I use windows notepad to make batch files that run command prompt strings but there is many ways to do it.

Say you have a 27128 image file you want to burn on a 27512. The 27512(512K) is four times larger than a 27128. In notepad you would put this line in. Save it as a .bat file in the directory of your roms and then run it.

copy /b file.128+file.128+file.128+file.128 file.512

2732 can almost always replace 2716
    W27c512 can almost always replace 2764 - 27256
    27c040 can almost always replace 27c010 and 27c020

and etc. Then you don't have to keep so many different flavors of eproms on hand. Back in the day a 27512 might have been more expensive then four 27128 but now you can find most EPROM salvage pulls for a buck each or less. 8mbit might be the exception, those are more pricey. I buy the ones out of china that are cleaned, legs straightened and pre erased. I hate scraping off 30 year old label gunk.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

These would work for AFM 1.3b?
    ebay.com link: 1 2 5 10 25pcs M27C801 100F1 M27C801 100F6 27C801 ST IC EPROM UV 8MBIT 32CDIP

Image file 1028kb which is 8mbit so yes m27c801 will work on WPC MPUs assuming the chips are as advertised in working condition.

When you get into 1M+ the naming gets a little funky. 27C040 27C400 27C4001 are all basically the same thing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eprom-burner-1?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.