• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2006-09-06-bkpddle.gif
gaffe.jpg
46.jpg
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just got off the phone with the ePlate guys, and they were adamant that this announcement was about getting new modes for WOZ that would not otherwise be available. Details don't exist, but the example I was given was a new wizard mode. It would be tied to the serial number on your USB port. Nothing about splash screens or whatever was mentioned, was all about game code.
So I dunno, I told them they'd better talk to Jack, because the messaging is super confusing/inconsistent right now.

Sounds like some people need to sit down and get their stories straight.

WOZ was marketed and sold as having NO differences in gameplay between models. Period.

#152 10 years ago

It's a total cluster from where I'm sitting. From what Aurich has found out (Thanks for the research) the CC company says extra Wizard modes for spending 4k or whatever. Jack says every WoZ owner gets all the software. CC company says definetly exclusive Wizard extra modes on the CC. Very poorly handled message. I mean come on the code is not even complete yet..beside the fact we spent a lot of money on this pin.

#153 10 years ago

Maybe I misunderstood this as a splash screen or attract mode for commercial locations along with extra modes but for everyone. I'm not building walls or excluding anyone.

Whatever we do will be for the enjoyment and use of everyone.

Could there be DLC one day a a cost, perhaps, that is covered in our treatment that was published in May.

Stop thinking so sinister, this is a good thing to keep updating games instead of never finishing them.

No clue who I need to call back because I have no message to call someone back. People call me all the time.

#154 10 years ago

To make it more confusing Jack is qouted as saying
"This represents a real breakthrough for our pinball players, rewarding them for their love of the game, with exclusive game reward modes on our awesome new WOZ and Hobbit machines," said Jack Guarnieri, CEO of Jersey Jack Pinball. "Consumers who choose my reward can earn and download exclusive game modes simply by using their ePlate®."

This doesn't sound like just a "screen splash."

I don't mean to get all pissed over this but I never would have gotten a game that I knew was going to have different gameplay from one model to the next. This was something Jack was adamant about in the marketing of the WOZ.

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

To make it more confusing Jack is qouted as saying
"This represents a real breakthrough for our pinball players, rewarding them for their love of the game, with exclusive game reward modes on our awesome new WOZ and Hobbit machines," said Jack Guarnieri, CEO of Jersey Jack Pinball. "Consumers who choose my reward can earn and download exclusive game modes simply by using their ePlate®."
This doesn't sound like just a "screen splash."
I don't mean to get all pissed over this but I never would have gotten a game that I knew was going to have different gameplay from one model to the next. This was something Jack was adamant about in the marketing of the WOZ.

Again, not what I intended or understood. There is no gameplay difference from one model to the next.

#156 10 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Maybe I misunderstood this as a splash screen or attract mode for commercial locations along with extra modes but for everyone. I'm not building walls or excluding anyone.
Could there be DLC one day a a cost, perhaps, that is covered in our treatment that was published in May.
Stop thinking so sinister, this is a good thing to keep updating games instead of never finishing them.
No clue who I need to call back because I have no message to call someone back. People call me all the time.

You do have to understand why WoZ/Hobbit buyers/owners could be miffed at the information that is out there. I read what your quoted as saying and not sure how it would be construed as anything other than "exclusive modes" for only card holders.

#157 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't think its been announced yet as to when these new modes would be coming out. Doesn't really matter as everyone will be getting them for free according to Jack.

I don't have a launch date, but the plan is to do them every 6 months. Jack never called me back, but the ePlate guys sure as hell don't think everyone is getting this stuff for free, they're looking for ways to incentivize people to use their card.

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Again, not what I intended or understood. There is no gameplay difference from one model to the next.

And I appreciate you clearing that up.

#159 10 years ago

Thanks for the reply Jack. I normally do not complain but I feel its poor timing by credit card company and JJP to ask people to get this credit card for exclusive content (as stated) before the software I have in my machine today is complete. I own a WoZ LE, I would like code complete before we talk about DLC.
Thanks.

#160 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't have a launch date, but the plan is to do them every 6 months. Jack never called me back, but the ePlate guys sure as hell don't think everyone is getting this stuff for free, they're looking for ways to incentivize people to use their card.

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

I spoke with Jen today, left her a message with my phone number, told her who I worked for, that I was considering writing a story on this, and that I had just spoken with Jeff and Adrian at Dynamics and would love your comment because what you're saying here on Pinside contradicts what they were telling me.

The press release is right here:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20131017006635/en/Jersey-Jack-Pinball-Offers-Exclusive-Game-Play

You are quoted in it:

“This represents a real breakthrough for our pinball players, rewarding them for their love of the game, with exclusive game reward modes on our awesome new WOZ and Hobbit machines,” said Jack Guarnieri, CEO of Jersey Jack Pinball. “Consumers who choose my reward can earn and download exclusive game modes simply by using their ePlate®.”

If you meant something other than what that says you probably want to talk with Jeff, because he's a pinball player and seemed pretty clear on what it meant, he was the one who used the words "wizard mode" not me when talking about a possible example of exclusive content.

EDIT: Jack and I have taken this to PM to sort out. To be clear there's no ill will, sounds like just some crossed wires.

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

So there it is ... but its a good thing because we can pay for updates by using this stupid credit card. okay, the cc might not be stupid. But he put a nifty salesman spin on it ...but it's still exactly what it says in the press release.
And since it was published in may, we all should have known about it.

#163 10 years ago

that was jacks quote above, not TaylorVA's

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I spoke with Jen today, left her a message with my phone number, told her who I worked for, that I was considering writing a story on this, and that I had just spoken with Jeff and Adrian at Dynamics and would love your comment because what you're saying here on Pinside contradicts what they were telling me.
The press release is right here:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20131017006635/en/Jersey-Jack-Pinball-Offers-Exclusive-Game-Play
You are quoted in it:
“This represents a real breakthrough for our pinball players, rewarding them for their love of the game, with exclusive game reward modes on our awesome new WOZ and Hobbit machines,” said Jack Guarnieri, CEO of Jersey Jack Pinball. “Consumers who choose my reward can earn and download exclusive game modes simply by using their ePlate®.”
If you meant something other than what that says you probably want to talk with Jeff, because he's a pinball player and seemed pretty clear on what it meant, he was the one who used the words "wizard mode" not me when talking about a possible example of exclusive content.
EDIT: Jack and I have taken this to PM to sort out. To be clear there's no ill will, sounds like just some crossed wires.

Have those crossed wires been uncrossed yet?

#165 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Have those crossed wires been uncrossed yet?

Yeah, I talked to Jack on the phone this morning. Bottom line is forget what the press release said, JJP has zero interest in making special modes available only to some people. Maybe if they still happen they'll be brought to you by ePlate somehow or something, I dunno, how they work out the business end of things is up to them, but Jack was super clear on not wanting anything new to be segregated. So no pay to play.

I've decided to spike my story, there just isn't much going on here, writing about some unclear communication or a misunderstanding isn't all that interesting.

#166 10 years ago

Thats great news. Thank you Aurich for the detailed follow up and JJP for clearing that up.

#167 10 years ago

"Miscommunication" again..?

... If only there were a SIGN or something from Jack's talk at Expo that could help us determine the truth ...

46.jpg46.jpg

#168 10 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

forget about credit card companies and all this other crap, one thing this country doesn't need is more people in debt, and unless your going to offer me a $1000 discount on a WoZ by buying it with this specific credit card, this is a bad idea.

Credit card doesn't mean debt, if you pay it off every month. And if you don't, then you are spending beyond your means. Doesn't matter how many credit cards are issued or that you have--it's your spending and payment behavior that counts.

And most credit cards have reward programs. This is just a different type of reward, like cashback or airline miles.

The debate on whether it's cool to have exclusive modes for credit card users is another issue--to me, it would depend on the "bonus modes." If they were just graphical/audio variations, I'm OK with that. Substantive rule additions would not be cool IMO.

#169 10 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

"Miscommunication" again..?
... If only there were a SIGN or something from Jack's talk at Expo that could help us determine the truth ...

46.jpg 52 KB

Yes, if only.

gaffe.jpggaffe.jpg
#170 10 years ago

Aurich, who do you write for?

#171 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, I talked to Jack on the phone this morning. Bottom line is forget what the press release said, JJP has zero interest in making special modes available only to some people. Maybe if they still happen they'll be brought to you by ePlate somehow or something, I dunno, how they work out the business end of things is up to them, but Jack was super clear on not wanting anything new to be segregated. So no pay to play.
I've decided to spike my story, there just isn't much going on here, writing about some unclear communication or a misunderstanding isn't all that interesting.

Good. Thanks for the update.

Still sounds like they have some clearing up to do with the guys at ePlate though.

#172 10 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Some two-bit tech site

arstechnica.com

I just learned they have a home page.

#173 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Bottom line is forget what the press release said

He forgot? really, that's what he's going with?

i think i've had enough with all the nonsense from JJP. it's always something with these guys.

#174 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

i think i've had enough with all the nonsense from JJP. it's always something with these guys.

Man, you guys aren't happy unless you're bitching about something.

The Eplate has two reward "MODES", ie there are two buttons on it. You get to chose which mode is active when you make a purchase, where to apply your "points".

Yeah, it's misscommunication but the negative Nancies here are *adding* to it.

#175 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Forget was my word, I didn't directly quote Jack in any way. I don't speak for him. I did get permission from him to discuss what we talked about in the thread, but I don't want to go beyond what I've said, it's not my place. It was clear the issue wasn't going to get dropped, and I'd already spoken about talking to the ePlate guys, so only seemed right to report the other side.

I dunno if you're familiar with ePlate, it's basically a credit card with "apps" that let you switch your reward modes. So you could earn special crap with Dark Horse comics for instance as you spend money. It's slightly confusing frankly, so it's really hard to say what those signs above are referring to. You can get money off JJP purchases with it effectively, as well as get entered into a pool for a chance at winning a free WOZ. I'm not really interested in being their marketing department, but that might be where the confusion stemmed from.

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I'm the creative director for Ars Technica, technically writing isn't part of my job description. I do cover stories when I feel like it though, and lately I've been trying to get more pinball news up on the site. Last piece I did was a little photo gallery of Expo:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/10/the-custom-pinball-machines-of-chicagos-pinball-expo-2013/

As I said this has turned into a non story, I thought there was something interesting to say about DLC coming to pinball, but that's premature at this stage, and I've spiked it.

#177 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

The Eplate has two reward "MODES", ie there are two buttons on it. You get to chose which mode is active when you make a purchase, where to apply your "points".

So this is just an unfortunate case of "modes" meaning one thing for ePlate and another for pinball?

Thanks for clearing that up. Honestly, until your post that wasn't clear to me at all. But then again I know nothing about ePlate.

#178 10 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

So this is just an unfortunate case of "modes" meaning one thing for ePlate and another for pinball?
Thanks for clearing that up. Honestly, until your post that wasn't clear to me at all. But then again I know nothing about ePlate.

Yeah, It's a funky new CC design. Let's you put your points against one of two, preprogrammed offers. (modes)

I don't use CCs enough to know if that's a viable marketing thing or not but I guess it could be. I know my boss is always wanting us to use specific company credit cards to get airline points on them. *shrug*

#179 10 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

eh... I'm not buyin' it. The press release could not be more clear. It was a blunder.

Some quick googling does not show other uses of 'modes' to refer to the eplate rewards for other brands they carry.

The press release clearly says "Game Play Modes". Who refers to a rewards selection on a credit card as "game play modes"? None - it would confuse their customers.

#180 10 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

I am seriously not following you here.

One minute there is no DLC, now there might be DLC.
But all in all it is a good thing we have to pay extra for added software to finish games we purchased.

There needs to be a disclaimer: all code updates subject to additional payment.

At least that is what I am reading into this. Maybe I am misunderstanding what I am reading here.

#181 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Most useful post on this topic yet.

#182 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Man, you guys aren't happy unless you're bitching about something.

You seriously aren't that naive are you?

#183 10 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

eh... I'm not buyin' it. The press release could not be more clear. It was a blunder.
Some quick googling does not show other uses of 'modes' to refer to the eplate rewards for other brands they carry.
The press release clearly says "Game Play Modes". Who refers to a rewards selection on a credit card as "game play modes"? None - it would confuse their customers.

2006-09-06-bkpddle.gif2006-09-06-bkpddle.gif

#184 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

You seriously aren't that naive are you?

I think he was joking.

#185 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I think he was joking.

Sorry, forgot the

#186 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Most useful post on this topic yet.

Are you serious?

Quoted from TaylorVA:

I think he was joking.

I don't.

But I can certainly see why you'd think he was.

#187 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Sorry, forgot the

Actually I was joking. I don't think he was joking.

And now I am totally confused.

#188 10 years ago

The PR was from the CC company. Jack sees it and goes "no way". Confusion ensues. But it seems pretty clear now that no one is being left out or stiffed so I for one am stowing my pitchfork. Maybe a mistake was made, but hardly seems like the end of the world. I dunno, I've talked on the phone with all parties now, they all love pinball, I'm personally good.

#189 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Are you serious?

Depends on if sarcasm is present.

#190 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Actually I was joking. I don't think he was joking.
And now I am totally confused.

I'm not sure either. After you posted that he was joking, I just assumed he was.

In that case, I still think he is naive.

3 weeks later
#191 10 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

"There is a little more to the relationship that Dynamics is creating with pinball, which is the unexpected part. At the Pinball Expo 2013, there was an announcement that Dynamics was working with Jersey Jack to create some new modes of play. This has been a little confusing and fortunately Jeff cleared it up for me. “It’s like DLC for the games. Imagine if you could take a Medieval Madness or a Monster Bash and add some additional modes to it. We believe that every fan should support the notion of supporting constantly updated platforms. I refuse to believe that people never want their games to be updated again.” This reminded me that there is support for such an idea already, such as the new code shown off for Bride of Pinbot. The difference here it seems, is the idea being floated for a much newer game. Jeff addressed that as well: “The concern from the pinball community about our idea has been that the final version of code [for WOZ] hasn’t been released yet. Who’s to say that these modes wouldn’t have been developed at some point down the road? That begs the real question, do you want the extra modes or not? Just because the “final code” hasn’t been released yet does it mean that the people who paid is getting a diluted version. That’s simply not the case.”"

http://arcadeheroes.com/2013/11/15/interview-jeff-mullen-dynamics-inc-pinball-related/

So, ePlate sure thinks this is real. Don't mind the idea of DLC, but will be poed if I need a specific card to get it. Or if the DLC for a rapidly climbing in price pin is expensive, for that matter.

#192 10 years ago

Look, I have no idea what's going to happen. But I've spoken on the phone directly to both Jeff and Jack about this, and what I was told is that Jack has zero interest in something only being available to some people. If ePlate sponsors some modes or is involved somehow in them that's one thing, but the message I got was that anyone else would be able to get them.

Whatever you think of the LE or 75th stuff, that message has been pretty consistent. LEs don't get any gameplay standards don't have, anyone can buy the extra toys that were made for the 75th, etc.

#193 10 years ago
Quoted from BigWheel:

"There is a little more to the relationship that Dynamics is creating with pinball, which is the unexpected part. At the Pinball Expo 2013, there was an announcement that Dynamics was working with Jersey Jack to create some new modes of play. This has been a little confusing and fortunately Jeff cleared it up for me. “It’s like DLC for the games. Imagine if you could take a Medieval Madness or a Monster Bash and add some additional modes to it. We believe that every fan should support the notion of supporting constantly updated platforms. I refuse to believe that people never want their games to be updated again.” This reminded me that there is support for such an idea already, such as the new code shown off for Bride of Pinbot. The difference here it seems, is the idea being floated for a much newer game. Jeff addressed that as well: “The concern from the pinball community about our idea has been that the final version of code [for WOZ] hasn’t been released yet. Who’s to say that these modes wouldn’t have been developed at some point down the road? That begs the real question, do you want the extra modes or not? Just because the “final code” hasn’t been released yet does it mean that the people who paid is getting a diluted version. That’s simply not the case.”"
http://arcadeheroes.com/2013/11/15/interview-jeff-mullen-dynamics-inc-pinball-related/
So, ePlate sure thinks this is real. Don't mind the idea of DLC, but will be poed if I need a specific card to get it. Or if the DLC for a rapidly climbing in price pin is expensive, for that matter.

Here we go again.

#194 10 years ago

Swipe your card on location and it gives you access to modes already available to home owners. Case closed.

#195 10 years ago

194 posts before over mostly nothing.

I own this game. It's really nice and worth the 6500.00 I paid. I own this credit card. It's a credit card, nothing really special about it in my hands. Yes I get a few little promotional things here and there.

What I see here is a company looking for various ways to parter with 3rd parties to promote their products. I see nothing in all of this to get angry or even a little excited about.

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Swipe your card on location and it gives you access to modes already available to home owners. Case closed.

If the article is accurate, it specifically states it's not about a CC mech for the game.

"As mentioned, the ePlate card that Dynamics offers is not exactly for swiping on the machine to play."

#197 10 years ago

All WOZ owners should get the card and start using it daily.

This will allow you to get the unlock codes AND earn Jack the money he gets every time you use the card.

More money for Jack = stay in business = good for pinball.

Do your part.

#198 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I don't think the truth has fully evolved yet for this situation; just like the code.

#199 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Case closed? How do you know this?

Jack said it was a splash screen. This article suggests otherwise. Now you are saying that it's not option A or B, but actually option C, where a player swipes a card that gives them access to modes that home players already have. As far as I know, you just invented this on the spot based on the information presented in an article that you hoped existed, although it is not the article presented above.

The problem that should be bothering everyone here isn't that there are exclusive modes tied to a rewards plan, it's that what JJP is communicating to one group is completely different than what they are communicating to another group. This isn't a miscommunication because of inelegant wording. A "splash screen" isn't an "exclusive game play mode". It simply isn't. There is no way someone who works in the game industry (which Jack does) would confuse the two when giving an interview to a business associate for their PR. "We will offer exclusive game play modes to your customer.... nono, wait, I meant to say you could get a splash ad in the attract mode. My bad." Just silly.

It's amazing the contortions people will go through to justify JJP's zany business tactics. Some of the stuff I've read on this thread is patently absurd. Credit card reward point distribution is now called a "game play mode"? Amazing. Jack writes one thing on the thread, says another in an interview, but we shouldn't worry because of a phone conversation he had with a third party. What??

#200 10 years ago

Classic jack.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 24.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.95
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eplates-credit-card-gets-you-exclusive-modes-for-woz/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.