• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2006-09-06-bkpddle.gif
gaffe.jpg
46.jpg
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 10 years ago

I can only imagine what were going to see in the future with Internet connectivity and that LCD. I think it's only a matter if time until advertising starts appearing in our homes. It's clear based on the cc decision jack made, he's not in this for the pinball "community" but to make money. Which is fine, but don't spin it differently.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I would get a credit card that earned "points" towards a new JJP pin as long as there was no annual fee. I never used many of those airline miles anyway.

Thats not the point and I wouldn't. But no way should I have to get some cc and spend half of what my machine cost for extra software modes. Even thinking this was a good idea makes me question what I thought JJP was as a company. It's very disappointing

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

So if I buy this and put it on my route, I would have to buy into the eplate system as well to get the full game?
Speaking on behalf of my location players, league players and general public, that stinks.
If Stern pulled something like this, prior to the code being complete on a game that has been out for months, pinside would be on fire from all the torches.

I hear ya. Great points. Maybe just make it where using the card unlocks the modes right away and not using it actually makes a player earn it to access one of these new modes. Even if that is the case how many people will actuly use the feature?

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from Mantra:

Thats not the point and I wouldn't. But no way should I have to get some cc and spend half of what my machine cost for extra software modes. Even thinking this was a good idea makes me question what I thought JJP was as a company. It's very disappointing

Won't have to as any of those new modes will be accessible at home on your machine. At least thats how I interrupted Jacks comments.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Maybe just make it where using the card unlocks the modes right away and not using it actually makes a player earn it to access one of these new modes.

i know you feel the need to defend the decision making at JJP but you're missing the point. why should we have to sign up for a card, or do anything additional, to get the modes and complete code we were promised when paying for the game?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:Mantra said:

Won't have to as any of those new modes will be accessible at home on your machine. At least thats how I interrupted Jacks comments.

i interrupted them differently based the minimal effort by Jack to defuse the current uproar.

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The thing that irks me here is Jack isn't giving us a straight answer.

He rarely does.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from Mantra:

You did not read my posts. I am against the use of a credit card to earn new modes. My comment was that I wouldn't mind having a credit card that earns me money "towards a new pin from JJP" like you earn Disney points or anything else on a credit card.

A new pin is different than a mode on a pin I own.

#108 10 years ago

The reward card has a drawback its limited to $300 off and only for WOZ as of right now. However as e-plate goes its the best reward in my opinion. A chance to win a WOZ sure chances are 1 in 1.2million or 1 in 70 at annually spending of $20,000 but I would recommend it if you like a little risk for your reward.

#109 10 years ago

Seriously we knew DLC was coming from vids to pins eventually.
In a resurgence..... I wonder why I feel so ill about the state of our hobby =/

Hey if they shut our pins off remotely in the future we can just charge to "unlock" them.

You know just like an Iphone.

Just full of good ideas.

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

The reward card has a drawback its limited to $300 off and only for WOZ as of right now.

Limiting it to $300 is a non-starter. I rack up nearly $1K for when our family goes to Disney. If there is enough money going to the sponsor (i.e. Disney), then there needs to be enough incentive for us to acquire the card and use it regularly.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Limiting it to $300 is a non-starter. I rack up nearly $1K for when our family goes to Disney. If there is enough money going to the sponsor (i.e. Disney), then there needs to be enough incentive for us to acquire the card and use it regularly.

I agree - I wish it was unlimited and could be used for the Hobbit. None the less I am a fan of the card - outside of the pinball rewards the other stuff is also cool. Not sure if I will switch my reward at a later date. However, as of right now I think Dynamics is a great idea, and am happy Jack got my attention to it.

#112 10 years ago

For a company that sold itself on the premise that it would not engage in "tiered features" like Stern's LEs, this has all the signs of a colossal misstep. Not only are they pulling an LE bait and switch they're forcing buyers into a credit card to do it.

For those comparing this to DLC in videogames, these types of shenanigans are different in extremely important ways. For one, there's a huge difference between paying $50 for something and buying DLC on top, versus paying $6500+!

For two, once a videogame has been out for a few months, the price drops and they're often sold as a bundle with DLC included. Even for popular games it happens after six months or a year. Thus, the game is still accessible to all, you might just have to wait awhile.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

For those comparing this to DLC in videogames, these types of shenanigans are different in extremely important ways. For one, there's a huge difference between paying $50 for something and buying DLC on top, versus paying $6500+!

Another very different distinction with most zero day videogame DLC is that a team with a completely separate P&L is working on the DLC, not the core game team. When they offer the DLC available on day zero, it's often viewed as a separate game completely internally as far as P&L sheets go.

#114 10 years ago

What if we just chill for now to see how this unravels?
Jack said that he doesn't want to "build walls" so I'd suggest that we give him the benefit of the doubt until we see what this extra code thing is.
You guys all seem to be getting upset at the concept more than the actual outcome.
I'm with ya as far as hating the actual concept of buying a pin and not getting all the code, but just relax for now.
I seriously doubt that JJP would stick it to his loyal clients the way this appears currently.

#115 10 years ago

People funded the company by paying in full almost two years before recieving thier WOZ and appear to be paying good coin well in advance of the Hobbit as well. Now out of the blue you come up with a way to force these supporters to get a credit card to get all the code updates for WOZ?

I hope this turns out to be absolutely false and that all future code updates will be made available to all supporters/customers. If it ends up being true then it is truely bad form IMO. If they go through with this I will serously consider not buying any of their future releases.

#116 10 years ago

I sure don't see what most of you are saying when Jack himself said:

Jersey Jack:

"Stand down everyone, LOL- whatever we do, whenever we do it, the extra mode or whatever will be in your software version as well."

The main gimmick with the CC was that people could earn points towards buying a JJP product if they selected that reward. If they use the CC to pay for a game on location, it would have a fancy splash screen that only shows up when the CC is used.

People that own their own WOZ aren't missing out on a thing from what I see.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

If they go through with this I will serously consider not buying any of their future releases.

I'm seriously considering it simply based on this press release. it just shows very poor judgment from JJP, even if they do backtrack themselves out of it. It's not the first time they've made horrible decisions and based on their track record, it won't be the last. (unless it's all a prank from those guys at Stern and it's a fake press release.)

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Jersey Jack:
"Stand down everyone, LOL- whatever we do, whenever we do it, the extra mode or whatever will be in your software version as well."
The main gimmick with the CC was that people could earn points towards buying a JJP product if they selected that reward. If they use the CC to pay for a game on location, it would have a fancy splash screen that only shows up when the CC is used.

Thanks GaryMartin, I am out of the loop and was hoping that this extra code thing only for those that get a credit card was false. Glad to hear it is likely not going to happen that way.

#119 10 years ago

People funded the company by paying in full almost two years before recieving thier WOZ and appear to be paying good coin well in advance of the Hobbit as well. Now out of the blue you come up with a way to force these supporters to get a credit card to get all the code updates for WOZ?
I hope this turns out to be absolutely false and that all future code updates will be made available to all supporters/customers. If it ends up being true then it is truely bad form IMO. If they go through with this I will serously consider not buying any of their future releases.

This sounds like code beyond a feature complete game. Imagine having to pay for new code for Spiderman down the road after the game was complete. Based on the rule screens released for WOZ the game will have the deepest ruleset in pinball in my opinion.

If a couple modes come out a year down the road after the rules in those screens is complete I don't have a problem with this. Also, Jack already said that home owners would get these modes and I'm sure he realizes that home owners are not going to buy the eplate reader.

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Jersey Jack:

thank you for clarifying, and since jack said "lol", everything is just a big misunderstanding.

so you get a fancy splash screen every six months for spending 4$k on a CC?

"This represents a real breakthrough for our pinball players, rewarding them for their love of the game, with exclusive game reward modes on our awesome new WOZ and Hobbit machines," said Jack Guarnieri, CEO of Jersey Jack Pinball. "Consumers who choose my reward can earn and download exclusive game modes simply by using their ePlate®."

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This sounds like code beyond a feature complete game. Imagine having to pay for new code for spiderman down the road after the game was complete. Based on the rule screens released for WOZ the game will have the deepest ruleset in pinball in my opinion.
If a couple modes come out a year down the road after the rules in those screens is complete I don't have a problem with this. Also, Jack already said that home owners would get these modes and I'm sure he realizes that home owners are not going to buy the eplate reader.

Buying a pin from a manufacturer should guarantee that you get all future updates without further payment IMO. Not even Stern does this madness. If they come up with an update way after a release like on TRON it is free for all customers. That is the way it should be the other option you describe sounds like BS to me. If a future release comes out for the game then the prior version was not 'complete' IMO.

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

This is a complete and utter joke!
If true I think this would be the final straw and I would be requesting a full refund.

I hear its a 2 year wait for the credit card.....

On a serious note its all about the $$$ and just another way to generate money from the customers pocket to theirs.

#123 10 years ago

Buying a pin from a manufacturer should guarantee that you get all future updates without further payment IMO. Not even Stern does this madness. .

As much as I dislike Microsquat you buy one of their OS's for $100 and you get service packs and updates.
Drop several grand on a pinball machine and the code should be updated, cost free.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

What if we just chill for now to see how this unravels?
Jack said that he doesn't want to "build walls" so I'd suggest that we give him the benefit of the doubt until we see what this extra code thing is.

+1 I think it is clear that WOZ owners hate the idea of having to pay extra for further modes, and it seems fairly clear, at least, that that is not going to happen.

#126 10 years ago

Jack emailed this to me.

ALL SOFTWARE IS THE SAME IN EVERY GAME - THERE IS NOTHING TO BUY OR UNLOCK

We will add a splash screen in attract mode to promote their card in commercial locations

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Jack emailed this to me.
We will add a splash screen in attract mode to promote their card in commercial locations

Finally, a clear answer?

#128 10 years ago

Everyone I've shared this with so far has had the same reaction: negative, and that they'll have to get a CC and spend 4k on it to get a complete game.

If this is a case of miscommunication, it was an especially poor one.

Press releases typically go through a ton of drafts with a careful eye for how they'll be received and perceived. My "more likely scenario" detector says the feedback was so immediately negative they slammed on the breaks and threw it into reverse.

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Jack emailed this to me.

So the ePlate people are false advertising that by using their card it will unlock modes in the game?????

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

As an operator, how much is my cut for displaying this advertising on a machine I purchase for route?

Can I disable this splash screen?

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Jack emailed this to me.

Judging by the original press release in comparison the retraction above, JJP has made an about face on whatever they had originally planned. Obviously this is a feature that has yet to be coded. Without the "bitching and moaning" here on Pinside, who knows what this would have actually become. Good job!

#132 10 years ago

I'm not sure which way this whole ePlate thing is going but the fact that we even have to discuss this is stupid. I like Jack and everything these guys are doing, but this just sounds ridiculous.

If you want to sell extra content or upgrades etc - do it like everyone else DLC thru a service. Rebuild your website - wifi/bluetooth enable the woz do exclusive online content downloads by mobile. Verify a code you need to enter just like WoW mobile authenticator so people can't steal it.

forget about credit card companies and all this other crap, one thing this country doesn't need is more people in debt, and unless your going to offer me a $1000 discount on a WoZ by buying it with this specific credit card, this is a bad idea.

Standard code should be universal for tournament play and any LE or route guys.

Build extra downloadable content like:

Turn Toto into a tiger during Toto escape mode 99¢
super extra crazy hard mode cow tornado mode: 99¢
play angry birds on the LED display: $1.50
JJP remote - airplay your Ipad or mobile device to the monitor (play pandora and other streaming content thru your WoZ)

Let me know if you want to hire me - because so far this idea sounds terrible

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Judging by the original press release in comparison the retraction above, JJP has made an about face on whatever they had originally planned. Obviously this is a feature that has yet to be coded. Without the "bitching and moaning" here on Pinside, who knows what this would have actually become. Good job!

Press release.
Public discussion .
Press re-release / retraction.
(oops)

Seems public discussion was against the original intent and I am glad the "bitching and moaning" seemed to worked.
It was a pretty tacky idea as originally floated IMHO.

#134 10 years ago

I just got off the phone with the ePlate guys, and they were adamant that this announcement was about getting new modes for WOZ that would not otherwise be available. Details don't exist, but the example I was given was a new wizard mode. It would be tied to the serial number on your USB port. Nothing about splash screens or whatever was mentioned, was all about game code.

So I dunno, I told them they'd better talk to Jack, because the messaging is super confusing/inconsistent right now.

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

they were adamant that this announcement was about getting new modes for WOZ that would not otherwise be available. Details don't exist, but the example I was given was a new wizard mode.

Wow. I really hope this turns out not to be true. This is a bad road to go down ...

#136 10 years ago

Jack earns money if you use his credit card - so this is good because it keeps him in business.

Jack earns money if you spend your eplate points on a new pin - so this is good because it keeps him in business.

Now if you have to spend $4,000.00 on your eplate card to unlock hidden modes in your game, this earns money for Jack and it lets you get a new mode to look forward to in the future.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Wow. I really hope this turns out not to be true. This is a bad road to go down ...

I called Jack to get his side, but he's supposed to call me back. I do think there's a conversation to be had as a community about DLC and pinballs, this is just the first salvo.

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Jack earns money if you use his credit card - so this is good because it keeps him in business.
Jack earns money if you spend your eplate points on a new pin - so this is good because it keeps him in business.
Now if you have to spend $4,000.00 on your eplate card to unlock hidden modes in your game, this earns money for Jack and it lets you get a new mode to look forward to in the future.

Jack keeps Jack in business by not jacking his customers.

#139 10 years ago

Jack just posted a few ago in the MMR thread.

I'm surprised he did not stop by and fill us in on the details of the eplate.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm surprised he did not stop by and fill us in on the details of the eplate.

He's been posting cryptic responses to this whole matter that frankly seem to be making things worse rather than clearing anything up. The press release and the conversation I had with the ePlate guys was pretty damn clear though, so I dunno what to say since Jack isn't calling me back.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You're gonna have to narrow it down a little Vid.

#142 10 years ago

Well, if Jack's got some model for recurring revenue for DLC, I don't like it... but if it's inevitable, first make sure everyone's happy with the software features "as is" and that these feature would definitely be considered above and beyond, but then offer people an affordable way to "subscribe" that doesn't involve a credit card NOT EVEN AVAILABLE OUTSIDE THE US!

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

You're gonna have to narrow it down a little Vid.

Bwahahaha!

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Well, if Jack's got some model for recurring revenue for DLC, I don't like it... but if it's inevitable, first make sure everyone's happy with the software features "as is" and that these feature would definitely be considered above and beyond

Yeah, I tried to explain to the ePlate guy that DLC wasn't gonna go over well right now with machines shipping with such incomplete code. That goes for Stern and JJP. If they were done and it was really extra icing, and not the cake itself it might be different.

If Stern said for instance, we'll give you a new wizard mode on Tron for $25, would people complain or be stoked?

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If Stern said for instance, we'll give you a new wizard mode on Tron for $25, would people complain or be stoked?

I'd be bummed ... because I don't have a Tron. Seriously, if this was introduced after the pin was considered complete, then it sounds like a pretty good idea. But, I wouldn't want to have the slightest inclination that the new mode should have been in the game to start with.

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sounds like a good way to kill pinball for good except for the guys remaking old titles. They won't have to charge for game features, they are already in the games.

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If they were done and it was really extra icing, and not the cake itself it might be different.

If that extra icing for WoZ helps make TH ship incomplete?

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

If that extra icing for WoZ helps make TH ship incomplete?

IMHO the bottom line is that as long as pins are shipping incomplete, DLC is bullsh!t. You sell me a finished product and then want to charge more for extras later? We can talk.

As long as pinball makers think they can ship half baked code no one is gonna like this.

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I'd be bummed ... because I don't have a Tron. Seriously, if this was introduced after the pin was considered complete, then it sounds like a pretty good idea. But, I wouldn't want to have the slightest inclination that the new mode should have been in the game to start with.

I think if in another year they sold an alternate software package for $300 - 500, so that basically you could have a whole new game, I would be super stoked. And if it's "serious" software, as opposed to novelty fluff, then I think Ops would be excited as well.

Fear of piracy would probably keep it from happening though. Pinheads will spend 10k on a game but gripe over a buck to play on location. It would turn into people stealing it then justifying it as "it should have been free".

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, I tried to explain to the ePlate guy that DLC wasn't gonna go over well right now with machines shipping with such incomplete code. That goes for Stern and JJP. If they were done and it was really extra icing, and not the cake itself it might be different.

I don't think its been announced yet as to when these new modes would be coming out. Doesn't really matter as everyone will be getting them for free according to Jack.

If they did DLC say a year after the last update and the games software is complete with a very deep ruleset I would be fine with it. How many people would now pay for new modes in LOTR and the TSPP if that was possible? I bet a lot would since the game has been out for a while.

Just check out what we are getting with WOZ. I like a lot of pinball machines but based on the rule screens shown below and in the video WOZ should have the deepest ruleset in pinball and this is before any modes that are released as a result of this Eplate feature.

http://img-f.pinside.com/201304/782325/89055.jpg
http://img-f.pinside.com/201304/782325/89056.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/embed/0dHZmjfZhuk?autoplay=1&rel=0

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eplates-credit-card-gets-you-exclusive-modes-for-woz/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.