(Topic ID: 311184)

Episode 1- Should the center shield register hits?

By Guyrv

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

HI,

I'm a new owner of a Star Wars Episode 1. I've never played another version of the game other than the one I just purchased. But I think there might be something wrong with it. So a question for all of you pinball pros: In this game, does the center shield register when you hit it? Because on my machine it doesn't. And when I watch online videos it really seems that the center shield is impacting the video image.

And if it should indeed register the hit. Could you please let me know where to find the switch (I assume it's a switch) that registers it?

I've inspected under the playfield and looked at the assembly in the manual, but I'm still confused.
any help would be more than welcome, as i currently can't trip Jar jar when he is juggling.

#2 2 years ago

Yes it should register… I’m pretty sure it’s switch 58.. opto

#3 2 years ago

Thank You. This helps me a lot. I just found the switch via the Switch TEST. I'll go look under the field for it.

#4 2 years ago

No problem I don’t have an episode 1 anymore but I think it’s an optical switch above the playfield

#5 2 years ago

You were correct, it is an optical switch, i was looking for a physical switch and couldn't figure it out.
I found the two sides, took them out and cleaned them, but it still didn't fix my issue. Tonight I'll have a look at the other end of the wires, see if I can figure something out on the card they go to.

wish me luck.

#6 2 years ago

Hi again,

The opto switch leads to the 24 opto switch board. The switchboard has a red light thatès turned on at all times (I think). Is there a way to know if this board is defective? As you can tell I'm new at this.

thank you

#7 2 years ago

The opto switches themselves can go bad. I’d start by changing both the send and receive myself. There is a trick that you can look at them through some camera lenses and see if they are working. Try a search for testing opto switches. New send and receive are just a few bucks.

#8 2 years ago

I'm back!! I changed both opto switches AND the 24 opto board thing it was hooked up to. Now it kinda almost works. If the ball (or my hand) get close to the left side opto it triggers. but anywhere else refuses to work... Is it possible that I soldered the wires wrong?

thanks

#9 2 years ago

Are you sure the switches are aligned properly? Opto switches work by a consistent beam being shot from the sender to the receiver. When the ball or anything else breaks that beam it trips the switch.

Another thing to check is the power line they run on… I believe it’s your 5v line. May want to grab a multimeter and check what your 5v is running at. Some games are sensitive to fluctuations or low voltage and can cause weird opto issues. I know this is the case on wpc games… not 100% sure on pin2k..

#10 2 years ago

How are you even starting the Jar Jar mode if the center is not registering?

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

How are you even starting the Jar Jar mode if the center is not registering?

The shield goes up and down at the proper moment. The optos that know that you are hitting the center shield are the culprit.

I messed with it some more and now the optos think that the signal is always broken. They do seem aligned. I'll recheck them tonight.

1 month later
#12 1 year ago

Can anyone tell me which switch/opto is connected to the skill shot? The skill shot automatically registers, I can't seem to track down the associated switch/opto. Thanks.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Alaskanzen:

Can anyone tell me which switch/opto is connected to the skill shot? The skill shot automatically registers, I can't seem to track down the associated switch/opto. Thanks.

The skill shot is the extra ball switch (rollover) on the playfield.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from cabuford:

The skill shot is the extra ball switch (rollover) on the playfield.

Thanks a ton!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/episode-1-should-the-center-shield-register-hits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.