Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Hello Pinside! My name is Jared Guynes and I am a man on a mission to promote, encourage, share and increase interest in pinball. I threw my first ever event this past weekend and I pulled out all the stops. Free BBQ, Free Beer, Free Energy Drinks, Free Entry.... and most of all FREE PINBALL!!!!

Over 140 people came.

We had 37 machines, 9 classic arcades and 7 hours of the best time of your life.

I think this video illustrates what "we are about" and would be awesome to share on places like facebook where our friends may not know much about the pinball side of our life...

Enjoy.

#2 10 years ago

Great video edit, thanks for posting

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Great video edit, thanks for posting

Thanks for watching.

The biggest part of the reason I went to the expense of hiring someone to film the event was for this thread... on pinside... for pinside members.

I know thats not nearly as interesting as discussion JJP LE shipping drama... but hey maybe the guys here will watch the video.

#4 10 years ago

Some very nice game there thanks for sharing

#5 10 years ago

Great video, looks like an awesome time and a great way to introduce people to pinball and show how much fun it can be.

#6 10 years ago

Very cool, thanks for sharing!!

So where did you put this on? At a rec area and had a bunch of people bring games?

#7 10 years ago

A friends business!! Moved in all in a single day, and out in a day!!

#8 10 years ago

Requesting an invite for next year ... but seriously

#9 10 years ago

you had me at free beer.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks for posting and gotta ask where did you get all the pins and games from?

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Local Collectors and Retailers provided all games shown in the video.

It was an amazing event.

Marcus

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from mab487:

Requesting an invite for next year ... but seriously

I wont wait 12 months to do another event. One of the perks of a smaller event is that the logistics can be sorted in less than 60 days. Thanks to facebook, it can be successfully promoted within that time frame as well!

Quoted from mojozone:

you had me at free beer.

Only way to party!

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

All of us came together. I had 6 pins and 2 vids there, many people brought 1-4 pins, and even some retailers and a movie theater lent pins to us. Metallica was from a Cinemark Movie Theater.

Quoted from Xerico:

Local Collectors and Retailers provided all games shown in the video.
    It was an amazing event.
    Marcus

Thanks for running the tournament man.

#13 10 years ago

Nice event!

#14 10 years ago

Thank you!! It was my first one, but I hit the ground running!

#15 10 years ago

Free pinball, and a cooler of Natural Light...who wouldn't want to be there???

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Free pinball, and a cooler of Natural Light...who wouldn't want to be there???

LOL... we had like 7 coolers of beer... and a lot of good stuff... but of course they show the cheapest stuff... hahaha...

#17 10 years ago

Wish I was closer that looked like a epic time.

#18 10 years ago

So glad you guys are checking it out... Thank you!!!

A bigger... Better one will come soon....

#19 10 years ago

A separate video of the IFPA Final will be uploaded soon.

#20 10 years ago

You haven't experienced life until you hear Bakushan provide color commentary over a PA system LIVE during a finals match.

Marcus

#21 10 years ago

While you're playing. With a really bright camera light directly on your playfield. Don't forget that part Marcus. LOL..

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

While you're playing. With a really bright camera light directly on your playfield. Don't forget that part Marcus. LOL..

Had it been you playing in the final... would it have affected your game play?

I spoke to both Jon and Marcus and surprisingly, both confirmed that the light made no difference, and that the commentary in fact helped them since they didnt know the rules of the table...

Stepping outside of the situation, I think calling a pinball match like a MMA fight is pretty damn entertaining for the 99% of the people who dont get to participate in the match.

Kind of reminded me of a scene from the movie dodgeball. lol

#23 10 years ago

Nice video. I'm looking forward to getting enough footage to shoot some stuff like that for our events.

If any of you get to New Orleans, we're doing an event August 24th in association with an IFPA tournament. See: http://mystickrewe.com/tournaments/summer-em/

#24 10 years ago

I don't know. I'm not the same height as either of them. That's a really specific question, and I can't answer it since I wasn't standing precisely there. Once it was turned on and left on, probably not. It was turned on and off a few times at the start before I walked away though. I didn't have too much issue with the commentary, as I said, I was in the other room listening while playing EM's.

I didn't have to worry about playing in the final, since my own game F'ed me over with a flipper ball hop. I guess it was karma payback from when it happened to Chris at Ken's place.

I will say that I didn't even see the camera guy over there recording us play that game of CBW. Dunno if the light was on or off though. That game is so stupid, scoring-wise, I'm glad that I didn't have to worry about anyone picking it for me as a tourney game. Most unbalanced scoring EVER. Was pretty amusing to watch CW destroy me and Chris, especially after Chris had the doubler going and like 3 extra balls.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Had it been you playing in the final... would it have affected your game play?
    I spoke to both Jon and Marcus and surprisingly, both confirmed that the light made no difference, and that the commentary in fact helped them since they didnt know the rules of the table...
    Stepping outside of the situation, I think calling a pinball match like a MMA fight is pretty damn entertaining for the 99% of the people who dont get to participate in the match.
    Kind of reminded me of a scene from the movie dodgeball. lol

It was definitely different.

The light did not affect me one bit. I am not a huge fan of playing pinball in the dark anyway. When I play at home, I definitely prefer a well lit room.

And the narration helped tremendously since I had never played the game prior to the finals. Some people may feel it tilted the finals in one direction or another, but Jon and I played under the same circumstances. We both benefited from Jared's commentary.

The narration was humorous AND entertaining. I personally enjoyed the atmosphere and the tension that accompanied the play by play. The entire event was more laid back than other similar sized tournaments, so Jared's style fit the event. In a more tense environment like the TPF Playoffs or PAPA, then that style would most definitely not work.

Every pinball player is different. Some may not have appreciated the tips or the WWE Ring announcer style of our host.

But I don't think it adversely affected Jon or me.

Marcus

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I don't know. I'm not the same height as either of them. That's a really specific question, and I can't answer it since I wasn't standing precisely there. Once it was turned on and left on, probably not. It was turned on and off a few times at the start before I walked away though. I didn't have too much issue with the commentary, as I said, I was in the other room listening while playing EM's.
    I didn't have to worry about playing in the final, since my own game F'ed me over with a flipper ball hop. I guess it was karma payback from when it happened to Chris at Ken's place.
    I will say that I didn't even see the camera guy over there recording us play that game of CBW. Dunno if the light was on or off though. That game is so stupid, scoring-wise, I'm glad that I didn't have to worry about anyone picking it for me as a tourney game. Most unbalanced scoring EVER. Was pretty amusing to watch CW destroy me and Chris, especially after Chris had the doubler going and like 3 extra balls.

CBW is a weird game. Looks pretty though.

I am glad my camera guy was a ninja. Will use him again.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

It was definitely different.
    The light did not affect me one bit. I am not a huge fan of playing pinball in the dark anyway. When I play at home, I definitely prefer a well lit room.
    And the narration helped tremendously since I had never played the game prior to the finals. Some people may feel it tilted the finals in one direction or another, but Jon and I played under the same circumstances. We both benefited from Jared's commentary.
    The narration was humorous AND entertaining. I personally enjoyed the atmosphere and the tension that accompanied the play by play. The entire event was more laid back than other similar sized tournaments, so Jared's style fit the event. In a more tense environment like the TPF Playoffs or PAPA, then that style would most definitely not work.
    Every pinball player is different. Some may not have appreciated the tips or the WWE Ring announcer style of our host.
    But I don't think it adversely affected Jon or me.
    Marcus

Personally speaking, I think if players could block it out (headphones?) or something... having an announcer could GREATLY increase audience retention, participation and viewership. For example, if the video of the FINAL from our event goes viral... and people are entertained by it... and then later they hear that a BIGGER final will be happening at "GENERIC HOTEL VENUE" for the "GENERIC PINBALL EVENT" and they can come for "CERTAIN AMOUNT OF MONEY" instead of being scared off from it because they think we are a bunch of nerds (WE ARE) then they might say "Man I saw that one video online and it was awesome, lets go pay to check that out".

Boom.

Next thing you know, we have pinball stadiums, and pinball teams.

Hey... dream big.

#28 10 years ago

awesome video, looked like a ton of fun !

#30 10 years ago

Very cool!

#31 10 years ago

Thanks for watching!!! Everytime I see people posting from IL I am thinking hrmm... are these pinball employees... haha

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Thanks for watching!!! Everytime I see people posting from IL I am thinking hrmm... are these pinball employees... haha

I WISH! keep posting them ill keep watching!

#33 10 years ago

Looks like it was an awesome time...my favorite part.....the guy sifting through the ice in search of a drinkable beer

#34 10 years ago

This video makes me want to eat a few double stacked bishi's & play pinball

Err I mean

Looks like a great time!

#37 10 years ago

Nice job - makes me wanna shoot a little bit of video at the next pinball things I'm at although I barely know how

#38 10 years ago

Pinball needs more video. More exposure. More people doing it.

#39 10 years ago

Great video! Very well edited too. Looks like a great party.

Mike

#40 10 years ago

Thumbs way up!

#41 10 years ago

So happy all of you are watching!!!

The IFPA final was super exciting!! It will be a separate video. I called the "match" over a pa with a microphone like a MMA match!!!

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

Wish I was closer that looked like a epic time.

For a time like that I would travel

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

The IFPA final was super exciting!! It will be a separate video. I called the "match" over a pa with a microphone like a MMA match!!!

Hurry with the upload & post the link!!!

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I know thats not nearly as interesting as discussion JJP LE shipping drama... but hey maybe the guys here will watch the video.

Actually this is a welcome change from that. That's a helluva arcade party you have going on there, with the # of machines, and some of the very latest ones(WoZ, MET) to boot. You aren't fuckin' around.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Actually this is a welcome change from that. That's a helluva arcade party you have going on there, with the # of machines, and some of the very latest ones(WoZ, MET) to boot. You aren't fuckin' around.

No... I'm not.

#46 10 years ago

Like the music!
    and your lineup! woww

cheers from NL

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Looks like it was an awesome time...my favorite part.....the guy sifting through the ice in search of a drinkable beer

Yeah that was me, and I was looking for a drinkable beer. As I said elsewhere on the Internets, you guys didn't get video of me rolling Abra Ca Dabra, but you did catch me getting high score on Igloo. It's probably a better representation of what I do at pin parties anyway.

Thanks again to Jared for arranging everything, Brandon for letting us use his store, and everyone else that brought games, pitched in, etc. Big things are happening in DFW!

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cidco:

Yeah that was me, and I was looking for a drinkable beer. As I said elsewhere on the Internets, you guys didn't get video of me rolling Abra Ca Dabra, but you did catch me getting high score on Igloo. It's probably a better representation of what I do at pin parties anyway.
    Thanks again to Jared for arranging everything, Brandon for letting us use his store, and everyone else that brought games, pitched in, etc. Big things are happening in DFW!

This is only the beginning...

#49 10 years ago

I've done video for 30 years and that's one smart vid. Wish we had a party like that up here but nobody has a house big enough for it.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I've done video for 30 years and that's one smart vid. Wish we had a party like that up here but nobody has a house big enough for it.

Thanks... means a lot coming from a pro. What specifically do you find "smart" about it? Im interested.

Wanna hear a secret? The party was not at a house. We used a 3,000 sq foot business which was gutted for the event to be held.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/epic-video-from-my-pinball-event-arcade-house-party and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.