longneck (resized).jpg
2EEA8157-A266-47F8-91FB-FB794E133B52 (resized).jpeg
würgkotzridda (resized).jpg
utlus (resized).jpg
richard rossi böhl (resized).jpg
saubels (resized).jpg
scholzens cafe (resized).jpg
doofftette (resized).jpg

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago

Whenever I think ugly, and it's been mentioned, but yes, William's Flash. Backglass AND playfield.

I know a LOT of guys love it, I'm guessin' for the game play, but I could never look at it on a daily basis in my collection.

Seems a LOT of William's games teetered on the fugly side.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from BallyTim:

Whenever I think ugly, and it's been mentioned, but yes, William's Flash. Backglass AND playfield.
I know a LOT of guys love it, I'm guessin' for the game play, but I could never look at it on a daily basis in my collection.

I'll see your Flash, and Raise you a Ro Go

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from BallyTim:

Flash was one of the games, where I was always thinking there was just something missing that could tie it all together.

Just was always rough and seemed incomplete. In fact I thought some of it was due to maybe the pin being worn out and flacking. But, then I realized... Nope, that's how its supposed to look. And that game is one of the best selling pins of all time too. So must have been teh light show and flow that made people want it. Sure wasn't its looks.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

I'll see your Flash, and Raise you a Ro Go

Dude! That's blasphemy! You're talkin' Dave "Mad Dog" Christensen! Possibly THEE best artist in pinball history!

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from slicknick13:

The head to body ratio on Countdown's backglass always bugged me.[quoted image]

Yeah, but I still don’t get what he is signifying with the thumb and finger of his left hand. It’s like he’s looking at the chick and telling her “it’s about THIS long”.

#56 4 years ago

Wow seriously...

Nobody. NOBODY...has posted the hair dick?

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Danny Glover came out so good, but Mel looks like someone cut up his face.

Don’t you think it looks more like Rob Lowe than Mel Gibson?

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Yeah, but I still don’t get what he is signifying with the thumb and finger of his left hand. It’s like he’s looking at the chick and telling her “it’s about THIS long”.

LOL!!!

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm going to take flack for this but I find the art on Flash so bad that I'd never even consider owning one.

No flack from me. I originally didn't care for the art. It's now the game I've owned the longest (2 different games), and I've grown to love it. It looks particularly great right next to a same era pin with a red color scheme (like gorgar).

#60 4 years ago

https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/attachments/dragonfist04-jpg.292610/

some german dude restored a playfield

dragonfist04 (resized).JPGdragonfist04 (resized).JPG
#61 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Flash was one of the games, where I was always thinking there was just something missing that could tie it all together.
Just was always rough and seemed incomplete. In fact I thought some of it was due to maybe the pin being worn out and flacking. But, then I realized... Nope, that's how its supposed to look. And that game is one of the best selling pins of all time too. So must have been teh light show and flow that made people want it. Sure wasn't its looks.

When Flash came out we played the sh*t out of it. We loved the layout but it was the background sounds that really grabbed us. When the increasing tempo got to a certain point, it seemed like all hell was gonna break loose. Didn't notice the horrible art until decades later.

#62 4 years ago

Classic limp dick .

Once seen,.......... it can not be unseen.

QSS
20200302_222853 (resized).jpg20200302_222853 (resized).jpg20200302_222908 (resized).jpg20200302_222908 (resized).jpg

#63 4 years ago

Harrison Ford just seems... off. But Karen Allen is worse. (That IS supposed to be Karen Allen, right?)

Indiana Jones The Pinball Adventure (Williams 1993)_edited (resized).jpgIndiana Jones The Pinball Adventure (Williams 1993)_edited (resized).jpg
#64 4 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Classic limp dick .
Once seen,.......... it can not be unseen.
QSS
[quoted image][quoted image]

There’s a mod for that.

#65 4 years ago

Diaper bum anyone?

serveimage (resized).jpgserveimage (resized).jpg
#66 4 years ago

Wow, there's even more than I thought, but still nothing that beats WPT for sheer awfulness!!

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

Harrison Ford just seems... off

There was an interview with the person who drew it, apparently they couldn’t get the license likeness of Harrison Ford. That’s why it is like that.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

here is one you cannot un-see after noticing it.... check out mr long palms.

He has a case of Gene Simmons Long Hand Syndrome...

Kiss hand (resized).jpgKiss hand (resized).jpg
#69 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

There was an interview with the person who drew it, apparently they couldn’t get the license likeness of Harrison Ford. That’s why it is like that.

Really? If that is the case then it absolutely will never get remade. You can't do that anymore... The Crispin Glover lawsuit prevents studios from using near images to try ad trick an audience.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Diaper bum anyone?[quoted image]

0CDEE68A-991C-4D8C-9585-7C391EFD335F (resized).jpeg0CDEE68A-991C-4D8C-9585-7C391EFD335F (resized).jpeg

#71 4 years ago

Heavy Metal playfield art by Stern

#72 4 years ago

Before anyone bashes me for this, I absolutely LOVE the artwork on my BM66 Catwoman. It's one thing that prompted me to purchase it. The artwork is phenomenal along with the excellent use of color.

With that said, is it just me, or does Catwoman look more like Sigourney Weaver than Julie Newmar? I'm not calling it a fail, but it just jumped out at me when I saw it.

The backglass rendition of Julie Newmar looks totally different than what's on the banner or the side art.

58276738651__2C7FB898-26B4-4960-8DA0-FC0394AB7D22 (resized).JPG58276738651__2C7FB898-26B4-4960-8DA0-FC0394AB7D22 (resized).JPG
0609_SigourneyWeaverCvr-ftr (resized).jpg0609_SigourneyWeaverCvr-ftr (resized).jpg

#73 4 years ago

Looks worse in real life.

grand lizard (resized).jpggrand lizard (resized).jpg
#74 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Looks worse in real life.[quoted image]

If I recall correctly, this sculpture was done by Python Anghelo. Although he's highly regarded by some, I have never been impressed by his art skills.

#75 4 years ago

This one took me a minute because that restore looks great otherwise!

It does remind me of my friend's touched up Punk! with special MUTIBALL mode

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 10.35.53 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-03 at 10.35.53 AM (resized).png
#76 4 years ago

The back glass on disco wasn’t the best..kinda fugly..but it was the mid/late 70’s..

9FB9AC7A-981F-4918-BF18-721053BD83F1 (resized).jpeg9FB9AC7A-981F-4918-BF18-721053BD83F1 (resized).jpeg
#77 4 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

This one took me a minute because that restore looks great otherwise!
It does remind me of my friend's touched up Punk! with special MUTIBALL mode [quoted image]

Mutiball? Is that some special mode on an X-Men machine?

Quoted from hwyhed:

The back glass on disco wasn’t the best..kinda fugly..but it was the mid/late 70’s..[quoted image]

Man, that lower right face looks like Michael Jackson!

michael-jackson-medium (resized).jpgmichael-jackson-medium (resized).jpg
#78 4 years ago

Gorgar looks like it was drawn by a kid bored in detention.

#79 4 years ago
image-7 (resized).jpgimage-7 (resized).jpg
#80 4 years ago

I don't know if it counts, but came to mind.

hit_em (resized).jpghit_em (resized).jpg
#81 4 years ago

What do I win?

97C3C891-D873-457C-9165-1DCCE76421F6 (resized).jpeg97C3C891-D873-457C-9165-1DCCE76421F6 (resized).jpeg
#82 4 years ago

Thus far, it certainly appears that Gottlieb has quite the lead on the others with respects to art packages that tend to offend the senses. It's as if the accounting department decided it was in Gottlieb's best interest budget-wise if the local middle school art class provided the art in exchange for bags of candy.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#83 4 years ago
Quoted from happyhour1973:

It's as if the accounting department decided it was in Gottlieb's best interest budget-wise if the local middle school art class provided the art in exchange for bags of candy.[quoted image]

Well they blew all their budget on those 2 damn extra buttons for high scores initials!

Quoted from jellikit:

I don't know if it counts, but came to mind.[quoted image]

Those are at least mechanical.

#84 4 years ago

Thus far, it certainly appears that Gottlieb has quite the lead on the others with respects to art packages that tend to offend the senses.

Oh yeah, they've got some real bad ones. My buddy tried to put this one in a local brewery, and after a week the owner told him to get it out of there it was so offensive.

image-2 (resized).jpgimage-2 (resized).jpg
#85 4 years ago

Thus far, it certainly appears that Gottlieb has quite the lead on the others with respects to art packages that tend to offend the senses. It's as if the accounting department decided it was in Gottlieb's best interest budget-wise if the local middle school art class provided the art in exchange for bags of candy.[quoted image]

Playfield art on Spring Break is actually very good.

#86 4 years ago

Anything Constantino Mitchell did. Especially his airbrush era.

#87 4 years ago

Mousin Around isn't too bad, but the cat's dream might qualify

95qf5VZ[1] (resized).png95qf5VZ[1] (resized).png
#88 4 years ago
Quoted from BadgeringBadger:

Mousin Around isn't too bad, but the cat's dream might qualify[quoted image]

I legit covered that part of the translite on mine, haha.

#89 4 years ago

I play Mousin' weekly at league, and always get a chuckle from this.

I'm guessing thematically, that instead of doing his job, the lazy cat is having a tawdry dream of a busty feline, when he should be chasing those damn troublesome mice for his overweight, cigar smoking, owner. A tale, and theme, as old as time, haha.

I bet it was no mistake that this was placed above the highest jackpot increment, either.

Also, uh, probably more cringe worthy, is that, uh, I've been involved in a semi-academic discussion, with a few woman included mind you, whether there should be 6 of them instead of two to stay anatomically correct. The general sentiment, if you wanted to know, is that 6 would look really strange, more strange than the two already there. The weird crap pinball people talk about while waiting for their turn on a machine, haha.

#90 4 years ago

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I'll defend the game, just not the backglass. Ken is particularly frightening.

sfiibg (resized).jpgsfiibg (resized).jpg
#91 4 years ago
Quoted from VanishingVision:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Sweet jesus, I never even knew it was that bad.

#92 4 years ago

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I'll defend the game, just not the backglass. Ken is particularly frightening.[quoted image]

What's really bad about this is. The characters are all off model, and if I was capcom, I wouldn't have signed off on that translite.
Worst case, I would have then sent one of my artists over to work on it for them. And just billed Gottlieb again for the use of one of my design team and assets.

Off model or not, its just bad. And I wouldn't want my brand associated with something that clunky. And while I know the 90s was a bit different in how you could approve and send images. But, there has to be some quality control, and this was just bad.

But, with that being said. Capcom really doesn't care. They just want quick money. Hell... who doesn't...

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

But, with that being said. Capcom really doesn't care. They just want quick money. Hell... who doesn't...

I think this is the filth that drove them into the pinball biz

#94 4 years ago

I always thought Lights Camera Action had some of the worst art ever.

F5CAA0C2-8642-4810-929A-ACDE9DA7E220 (resized).jpegF5CAA0C2-8642-4810-929A-ACDE9DA7E220 (resized).jpeg
#95 4 years ago

Licensing, I know.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#96 4 years ago

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I'll defend the game, just not the backglass. Ken is particularly frightening.[quoted image]

Lol, compared to the crapfest fail that is the actual game, that translite art is a Michelangelo.

#97 4 years ago

How about Zingy Bingy? It was such a bad fail that they closed their pinball division.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

How about Zingy Bingy? It was such a bad fail that they closed their pinball division.

It was really bad. But, I think it was made as a joke or kind of a protest.
Don't have any insight. But, I could imagine that with the state of the industry, the working conditions and morale might have been pretty low.
I know if I thought I was losing my job, I might do something weird and crazy like that just to get a rise out of people.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Looks like she has a 5 inch waist.

#100 4 years ago

The Doctor Who backglass looks like it was someone who never watched an episode ever.

They should have got one of the artists from the Target novelizations of episodes as the art was quite a bit more accurate for The Doctor(s).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 85.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Rogers, AR
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/epic-art-fails/page/2?hl=sinistarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.