Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by labnip
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MMR-homer-stern.jpg
    grandpasimpsonyellingatig3.jpg
    image-932.jpg
    200.jpg
    tumblr_lwru33NE821r803nno1_500.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Finally we have an announcement that qualifies as epic.

Today's PPS announcement actually is worthy of the claim, IMHO.

#2 9 years ago

People can be negitive but I think this is a +1 for everyone. I think a lot of people have been burnt by the "epic announcements."

I do see this as epic as do a lot of pinheads. I wonder if anyone has stepped up in disagreement of the epic-ness.

#3 9 years ago

?

#4 9 years ago

The beginning of the end as far as innovation goes unless this makes Jjp and stern step up their game

#5 9 years ago

What announcement?

#6 9 years ago

The news that Stern is manufacturing the MMR I assume. Not sure why Pinside gets a 0 tho! Seems unfair

#7 9 years ago

Not epic till they start shipping 200 games a week.

#8 9 years ago

Wait, Stern making a Williams product... without stealing or without consent...

Does this mean the thrill of danger is gone for Gary doing this legit now?

#9 9 years ago

I'm confused does this mean that stern is now producing MMR and can produce pretty much any B/W game that PPS owns the rights to? Im partially excited by this b/c a NIB classic is really gonna be interesting but i do see it hurting the idea of making newer more innovative machines

#10 9 years ago

I f*king hate "epic". And even more so for "fail". [/rant]

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

The news that Stern is manufacturing the MMR I assume. Not sure why Pinside gets a 0 tho! Seems unfair

I agree. Best place to get the info fast....

#12 9 years ago

#13 9 years ago

Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming and Stern Pinball announce Specialty Manufacturing Arrangement

CHICAGO, IL – MAY 14, 2014 – Planetary Pinball Supply (“PPS”), Chicago Gaming Company (“CGC”) and Stern Pinball, Inc. (“SPI”), today announced a specialty manufacturing arrangement pursuant to which SPI will make its manufacturing facility available to PPS and CGC to assemble their remake of the Medieval Madness (“MMR”) pinball game.

CGC, which has a long-standing business relationship with SPI, will assemble the game for PPS in SPI’s factory using SPI’s factory labor and production line assets. The game will be assembled with parts supplied by CGC which consist of original WMS specification parts combined with the new electronics and lighting systems designed by CGC. Final prep, packaging and shipment will be from CGC facility in Cicero, IL.

“We think this arrangement provides the best solution to insure the timely delivery of a high quality game for our customers who wish to own this legendary title” said Rick Bartlett, President of PPS.

“We have a long-standing relationship with SPI and its high capacity manufacturing operation will allow us to complete the MMR games in a timely fashion,” added Doug Duba, President of CGC.

“We’re looking forward to helping PPS and CGC exceed the expectations of Medieval Madness pinball enthusiasts,” said Gary Stern, President of SPI.

#14 9 years ago

Is this one of those epic happenings from another 1K post thread that's buried?

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

Is this one of those epic happenings from another 1K post thread that's buried?

The post right above yours pretty much sums up the Epic.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

The post right above yours pretty much sums up the Epic.

Found it. What's this thread is?

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

I f*king hate "epic". And even more so for "fail". [/rant]

Epic fail, because you used the word "rant".

Peace out!

#18 9 years ago

.tumblr_lwru33NE821r803nno1_500.jpgtumblr_lwru33NE821r803nno1_500.jpg

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

The beginning of the end as far as innovation goes unless this makes Jjp and stern step up their game

I don't agree at all. Stern isn't going to want to exist simply as an assembler of someone else's product. How do you see this agreement stifling innovation in any way?

#21 9 years ago

Yup...
    pretty EPIC!
    200.jpg200.jpg

#22 9 years ago

Should be interesting to see how fast Stern can knock out these remakes. If they can really do 200 quality builds in a week, that will be epic. I'm not saying that they can't, but how often does Stern really make 200 units in a week? There could be way more downtime than I think, based on units sold, again just a WAG. And to add if stern can pump these out it is a no brainer for JJP to follow suit.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

I'm not saying that they can't, but how often does Stern really make 200 units in a week? There could be way more downtime than I think, based on units sold, again just a WAG.

Down time? I believe Gary Stern said at a recent show that Stern sold 10,000 games last year. 200 games a week times 50 weeks equals... you guessed it... 10,000 games. They're also moving soon, presumably to a larger facility. 200 games a week shouldn't be a problem. This is good news for the factory workers (and likely some new hires).

#24 9 years ago

If that photo had Vanilla Ice throwing signs in it, then it would be epic.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

How do you see this agreement stifling innovation in any way?

I guess i was moreso talking about the remake thing in general but the accelerated rate that Stern can make them at will make my scenario play out more quickly, possibly.

People are going to be spending/reserving money to buy 20 year old games instead of buying new ones? That seems pretty simple.

beyond that i did offer the possibility that the manufacturers of truly new, i.e. fresh design might be spurred to do better. see?

Quoted from davewtf:

unless this makes Jjp and stern step up their game

I think this is a precarious time for the hobby. I see and hear people talking about holding out money for the next 5-6 pps releases and not caring about the new games. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how deep the pockets in this hobby really are...

Saying this crop of remakes is a slam dunk "win" for the hobby is awfully shortsighted, if you ask me.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Down time? I believe Gary Stern said at a recent show that Stern sold 10,000 games last year. 200 games a week times 50 weeks equals... you guessed it... 10,000 games. They're also moving soon, presumably to a larger facility. 200 games a week shouldn't be a problem. This is good news for the factory workers (and likely some new hires).

YEAH for American Jobs !!!!!!!!!!!

10000000% SUPPORT !!!!!!
    We need more American companies creating jobs just like this.

#27 9 years ago

I am glad to hear about the deal with Stern, but I do also think that JJP's hiring of Pat Lawlor is a pretty big deal. My last two purchases have been Lawlor pins (Fun House and Twilight Zone), and they have greatly increased my appreciation for his talent. Of course, the proof will be in the pudding. Here's hoping he produces something on par with his own best efforts, which are very good indeed.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I guess i was moreso talking about the remake thing in general but the accelerated rate that Stern can make them at will make my scenario play out more quickly, possibly.
    People are going to be spending/reserving money to buy 20 year old games instead of buying new ones? That seems pretty simple.
    beyond that i did offer the possibility that the manufacturers of truly new, i.e. fresh design might be spurred to do better. see?

I think this is a precarious time for the hobby. I see and hear people talking about holding out money for the next 5-6 pps releases and not caring about the new games. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how deep the pockets in this hobby really are...
    Saying this crop of remakes is a slam dunk "win" for the hobby is awfully shortsighted, if you ask me.

Have you actually read about the MMR platform though? There's more innovation in that single package than the last ten Stern pins.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Have you actually read about the MMR platform though? There's more innovation in that single package than the last ten Stern pins.

I own a MM, i don't read about remakes. Are they redesigning the playfield or something? All I care about are the shots.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

i don't read about remakes

You know you do : )

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

You know you do : )

Nope. 527 unread posts. I have pps deselected from my feed.

image-932.jpgimage-932.jpg
    #32 9 years ago

Many times Pinside reminds me of this clever image:

grandpasimpsonyellingatig3.jpggrandpasimpsonyellingatig3.jpg

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Many times Pinside reminds me of this clever image:

grandpasimpsonyellingatig3.jpg 14 KB

I've actually done that.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Wait, Stern making a Williams product... without stealing or without consent...
    Does this mean the thrill of danger is gone for Gary doing this legit now?

See in this thread it is OK to say Stern is making the MM remake. It's even OK to say Stern is manufacturing the MM remake. I don't see Stern MM as a huge stretch by any means. Say it out loud "Stern MM" . See, nothing broke in your brain

#35 9 years ago

MMR-homer-stern.jpgMMR-homer-stern.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/epic-1-pinside-0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.