• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by bigehrl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hello all pinheads,

I have a new problem on my FishTales, i have a test error on my right flipper (E.O.S switch)

All starts when i put a new coil and i think ive change the connections order on the coil and i burned a fuse on the board and the coil.
I remove the coil, and put the fuse again, and turn on the machine and now is doenst blow, but i still have the test error on the E.O.S switch, i havent put the new coil yet.. Im afraid to burn it again and another fuse....

Can you give me some help!? Sorry about my bad english, hope you understand it...

Regards all

#2 11 years ago

Goto menu to switch test and then move flipper by hand and see if it registers. If it don't check switch at flipper. Or you have flipper in wrong and the is not making contact with switch.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Hello all pinheads,
I have a new problem on my FishTales, i have a test error on my right flipper (E.O.S switch)
All starts when i put a new coil and i think ive change the connections order on the coil and i burned a fuse on the board and the coil.
I remove the coil, and put the fuse again, and turn on the machine and now is doenst blow, but i still have the test error on the E.O.S switch, i havent put the new coil yet.. Im afraid to burn it again and another fuse....
Can you give me some help!? Sorry about my bad english, hope you understand it...
Regards all

you have here fish tales flipper coils
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=861&picno=48936&zoom=1

or read manual for proper colors of the wires and care about the diodes

you have fliptronic board you might have burn a transistor also check them with a digital multimeter before solder a new coil you have to read schematics !

#4 11 years ago

Apreciate your help, for real

tatman9999 thanks, im going to check that also

Yes you are right doctor_pinball but i guess it was ok, im still learning...
where i can look for the burn transistor!? and is easy to check it with the digital multimeter!?

Thanks in advance

#5 11 years ago

according to the manual, the Q3 is the left flipper 'drive' transistor, and the Q9 is the 'hold'. good chance you blew that if you mis-wired the coil

-jon

#6 11 years ago

Thanks bigehrl... But i need the right one......

Thanks in advance

Post edited by RGAires : mistake

#7 11 years ago

i found that the transistor´s are this one´s
Q4 - Power (MPSD52 PNP)
Q11 - Hold (2N5401 PNP)

Can i check them with a digital multimeter directly on the board?! Is that easy to do!?

Thanks all

#8 11 years ago

In ohms (resistance) mode, put one lead on the center lug of the transistor and touch the other lead to the left lug. If the transistor is good, it should cause the coil to fire.

Just make sure u know which flipper is yur prob, cuz yur thread title says 'left' and your post says 'right'

-jon

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

In ohms (resistance) mode, put one lead on the center lug of the transistor and touch the other lead to the left lug. If the transistor is good, it should cause the coil to fire.

Am I misreading that or are you using your DMM as a jumper?

#10 11 years ago

That's another way to say it. You read correctly.

#11 11 years ago

Interesting idea. Wouldn't it be better to use the current setting on the DMM. That way the "jumper" is fused, preventing any damage to the DMM if someone accidentally jumpered across a high current circuit? Just curious.

#12 11 years ago

Good question. I was taught this trick by one of the senior pin guys back in my RGP days.

Always worked like a charm this way, but I'd be interested in input from anyone else who knows.

#13 11 years ago

Hey bigehrl, I did a little checking and came up with the following video from an instrumentation company. Looks like they recommend the current setting.

30 years in electronics and I've never heard of this trick, but I like it. Even an old dog can learn new tricks. Thanks for bringing it up.

Here's the text from the video listing if you don't want to watch the whole thing:

Temporarily "jumpering" two points in an electrical system is something technicians may need to do in order to test the response of a system. A safer way to do this than using a piece of wire is to use their multimeter, set to measure current. This way, the jumper current goes through the multimeter's fuse. In the event the technician makes a mistake and connects to the wrong points (resulting in a short-circuit with lots of current), the fuse blows instead of creating a dangerous arc as would happen with a straight piece of wire!

#14 11 years ago

ok, makes sense. i appreciate the tip! thankfully i got lucky in the few times i did it using diode test...

not the first bullet i've dodged in pin repair!

-jon

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 169.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

12,500 (OBO)
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eos-left-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.