Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20151107_154214.jpg
testROM_v2_28_nov.pdf (PDF preview)
TriZoneSwMatrix.jpg
IMG_20150809_222742.jpg
IMG_20150809_222732.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey there. I am fixing up a long neglected tri-zone and it is almost done (so happy and amazed). I think I am down to the last problem.

When the "N drop target" (switch 33) closes, the entire Row of switches (on the matrix, row 1) sometimes close as well. This includes the outhole, so you only get three hits on that drop target. I lifted all the diodes on every switch in that row and they all check out. There is some board damage on the small IC's next to IC11 (which I believe drive the switch matrix. Is it possible that this chip is also my problem for the row? Or should I be looking for a transistor somewhere?

I know the photos look scary, but I have good continuity everywhere the traces are supposed to go. Looks like the previous owner had a board fire and someone paid to have it repaired.

Thanks so much in advance with what I hope is this last little step in restoring a game (fingers crossed)

Edit: I forgot to mention that this board has been bulletproofed as per Vid's guide. The SCANBE's are all gone, the header between the boards has been replaced, and the faulty resistors were all beefed up. And just for completeness, I did just fix the +5V logic on this game by installing a new psu5 to replace a faulty voltage regulator. Somehow, I doubt that is the problem in this case.

IMG_20150809_222732.jpgIMG_20150809_222732.jpg
IMG_20150809_222742.jpgIMG_20150809_222742.jpg

#2 8 years ago

That is a really poor looking job done on replacing the 4049. You might want to check that solder work out.

Divide and conquer. Isolate the issue to either on the driver board or on the playfield. You can close switches right at the connectors on the driver board. Remove the plugs and test with wire and alligator clips. Use the switch matrix chart.

#3 8 years ago

You mean just jumper the row wires to the column wires with the connectors disconnected, right? I should just take a lead from the row wires to the banded side of a diode, and then tough the non banded side to the column headers, right? I have looked for "Clay's Guide" on this but wasn't able to find it.

Thanks again for being the one to help out barakandl. I definitely owe you a beer.

#4 8 years ago

So using the procedure I outlined above, I confused myself even more. I never seemed to get more than one switch to fire at the same time, but the knocker kept going off like crazy. I think that means the game thinks I was pressing the "credit button" but I don't know where that is. Unfortunately my master display is still out, so I can't see if I was adding credits or not.

Can anyone tell me if the game knocks when you add credits, and where the credit button switch is?

Also, specific to Tri Zone, is the Z O N E drop complete a physical switch somewhere?

Thanks.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Neemox:

You mean just jumper the row wires to the column wires with the connectors disconnected, right? I should just take a lead from the row wires to the banded side of a diode, and then tough the non banded side to the column headers, right?

Remove the row and column connectors and at the board connector (the ones you just removed) jumper from the row to the column.

#6 8 years ago

Zone targets completed is 35. Not a single switch, a series connection made through the drop target boards.

TriZoneSwMatrix.jpgTriZoneSwMatrix.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Are those scanbe sockets on the driver board? I hate to jump to replacing IC sockets, but those really are garbage and cannot be trusted.

If you are having switch 33 light up multiple switches. Close between Row 1 and column 5. If you only get switch 33 with this test, the issue is on the PF. If it still lights up an entire row, the issue is on the driver board.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from mwsmith:

Zone targets completed is 35. Not a single switch, a series connection made through the drop target boards.

Ahh, this makes sense. Thanks! Did you know that from the switch matrix? I don't see how they connect there.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Are those scanbe sockets on the driver board?

I replaced all the scanbe's that actually had chips in them, I didn't bother swapping the ones that were empty. Should I?

#10 8 years ago

OK, so now that I know that the numbering on the connector does not match the numbering on the switch matrix, things make more sense to me. My problem is definitely in the board, as when I short Row 1 and Column 5 with the connectors off, I get the same behavior as when I hit the switch on the playfield. Several switches fire, including the eject hole and the outhole. Those make sense, because they are in the same row, but that switch also seems to fire switch 35, all drops down, and so all of them reset as well.

So is this a bad 4049? Or is that solder job the problem. There are no pads left on the back of the board, but there were also no traces on the back (except two large ground plane-esque traces). If that solder job is the fault, the only way I'll be able to fix it is with jumper wires on the back of the PCB to the right pins.

Thanks for all the help so far.

#11 8 years ago

You can use a logic probe and watch the signals pass through the 4049 and 7406 and ultimately to the PIA. You might need someone to close swtiches for you while you probe.

1 week later
#12 8 years ago

So I still can't seem to figure out what's going on. The schematic I have isn't helping me much either. None of the pins on the 4049 at IC15 switch when I close game switches. Is there a way to see which switch rows should be tied to which pins on IC 15 and IC16?

Also, I'm still a bit unclear on what I should be looking for to determine that the chips may or may not be bad. Theoretically, this problem could be on either the input or the drive side, right?

#13 8 years ago

The circuits in the 7406 are the drives. So the output and input of each one of these will always be strobing when the game is scanning for switches. The circuits on the 4049 are what the game reads to determine if a switch is closed. The 4049 will go low on the input and output when a switch is closed. So when the game drives a column and it gets a read in a row, it pinpoints to a specific switch in the matrix. Both the 7406 and 4049 circuits have a pullup resistor that keeps the line high when it is not being driver low.

Make sure all the strobes work first. Put the strobe connector on the driver board. attatch probe to row and close switches and check the reads 4049 input and output.

Or you can use alligator clips at the driver board connector posts then check the reads. This assumes you have isolated the problem to the driver board.

3 weeks later
#14 8 years ago

So I finally got a chance to get back to work on this and I found what I thought were all the problems. It appears as though I was not getting good connectivity between the 7406 and the PIA for the Column 5 Output. So I replaced the socket that the PIA was in and now connectivity is great.

However, now when I have everything plugged in, the game won't actually start, The two LED's flash, but my blanking is low (0.11V). I did find loose wires on the jumper that carries all the ground connections, so I replaced that with a good connector, I also reseated the interconnect (which has been replaced) and tested for connectivity on every pin. I'm afraid that maybe in the process of plugging and unplugging all those connectors (has been a lot of times now) I messed something up. Any ideas on where to look first?

Feels so silly to finally get so close to a working machine only to have it fail now.

4 weeks later
#15 8 years ago

Bump from a long time ago.

I can't get the board to boot now and I'm not sure where the problem lies. I have checked and double checked for continuity on all the sockets that needed work, but now the blanking circuit is low. Is there any chance that I damaged the blanking circuit while testing things? I was going to order the parts to rebuild the blanking circuit, but that really seems like I am chasing the wrong problem. I don't have a Test Rom, but I am thinking I might need to get one...

#16 8 years ago

I forgot to mention in my post from September that when the game powers on, my two test LED's flash, but then nothing else happens. If I press the test button on the board, I get no flashes or lights of any kind. I did check to make sure that the button itself is working.

At what point in the boot sequence is the PIA II (IC11)? Would an error with this chip (either physically in the chip like I fried it, or a connection issue with the surrounding circuits) prevent the game from booting?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Neemox:

I don't have a Test Rom, but I am thinking I might need to get one...

If you don't already have an eprom burner / eraser then it's probably one of the best investments you can make if you're going to continue working with pinball machines. I couldn't tell from your post (or maybe missed) if you had one or not. Really anyone that's at all technical and has had more than 5-10x machines pass through in a year should get one. Burn test chips, burn new ROM updates, etc. They're so cheap and fairly easy to use. Never really understood why some people are hesitant to buy one.. I guess figuring it's more complicated than it is. The old ones that used to connect to your parallel or serial port were much harder to use.. worked with only hundreds of chips instead of thousands.. were much slower.. and kind of a pain all around to use. But the GQ-4X is usb, software interface is decent.. there's really not a lot to it.

So even if you don't by a programmer/eraser.. kind of keep track of how often you're buying ROMs or feeling like you could isolate something quick if you could just rule out a ROM being an issue. And then the time wasted in not being able to burn your own ROM quick to rule something out. That starts making an eprom programmer / eraser seem VERY cost effective...and the time spent learning how to use it trivial.

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#18 8 years ago

Thanks ABH. I've been looking into a reader for a while but have been avoiding pulling the trigger. I think this project has finally convinced me.

Where do you order blanks from?

Also, the DL site I knew of for the Williams Test Rom seems to be down (Mark's Site linked to Planetary, neither have the code). Know where I can get the image?

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Neemox:

Thanks ABH. I've been looking into a reader for a while but have been avoiding pulling the trigger. I think this project has finally convinced me.
Where do you order blanks from?
Also, the DL site I knew of for the Williams Test Rom seems to be down (Mark's Site linked to Planetary, neither have the code). Know where I can get the image?

Leon's Test ROM is at http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Repairing_Williams_System_3-6_CPU_Boards

Direct Link for the ROM: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:L6LED.732.zip

There's another floating about.. Andre's. I forget which is the preferred ROM. Someone else can probably answer that question.

Haven't ordered any eprom blanks myself in recent years (mostly just bought what I have from used lots on eBay & erased them with a UV eraser).

This post may be of help:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blank-eproms-where-to-buy

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#20 8 years ago

OK, so test rom installed (Andre's) and the board won't boot. I'm following along very closely with the repair section of Mark's pinball guide.
1. Test LED confirms teh "always on" state when probing the CPU.
2. I can't check the ROM, as I don't have any other williams games readily available
3. The CPU is active on all the right pins.
4. My 5101 is not socketed, so I haven't pulled it out yet. The implied rarity of this problem made me not want to do it, but I certainly could if people think it's important
5. The address bus signal buffer at IC4 checks out good, with all pairs behaving the same, but the buffer at IC3 does indeed have a problem. Pins 6 and 7 do not have the same behavior (see my overkill demonstration video https://goo.gl/photos/3q3Cqb5LX3jJQB1V7). This seems like it needs to be replaced! I did want to make sure that there shouldn't be other issues at the same time, so I continued down the list. I hate paying for shipping more than once.
6. My board is jumpered, so this is not an issue
7. Pin 20 has activity, so selection is good.
8. Pins 2 and 3 on IC8 have pulsing activity, but average about 3.5 V with the DMM
9. Pins 13 and 14 on IC8 are also good
10. TP4 only reads 0.18 V, but if I understand correctly, this could happen because the ROM never loaded? My game doesn't boot at all, so I don't think I can say anything about the blanking circuit.

So, with all of this, I am leaning towards the bad address signal buffer at IC3. Does it seem likely that is why the game won't boot? If so, I'm trying to figure out why it would have failed in the process of fixing the switch matrix circuits on the driver board. Is it in any way related? or did taking the combination of boards in and out of the game as many times as I did just finally take it's toll on an old part?

Thanks so much for all the help so far. I Maybe now I'm one part away from a working game...

#21 8 years ago

Hi Neemox,

I hope the board is already working again, If not:
I asume you use v2.0 since it is somewhat different than v1.0. v1.0 helps you more with only the diagnostic leds.

For the 2.0 version I would advise to remove all ram chips (6810) and the 5101 (and the original roms).
Hopefully this starts the board and start flashing/flickering the diagnostics leds. If bothleds are burning that indicates alocked system which is not that easy. In that case try replaying the Pia is or the rom(socket).

I include a pdf of the too short description of the testrom. If you are able than the diagnostics leds connected to 1j7 will help trouble shoot i think.

Kind regards Andre

testROM_v2_28_nov.pdftestROM_v2_28_nov.pdf

#22 8 years ago

Hey Andre, thanks so much. Great to hear from you!

The board isn't quite up yet, it's still locked. I will pull all the Ram and the 5101 when I get home this evening and see if that will allow the board to boot. I do have the LED diagnostics installed, but haven't been able to get the Test Rom to boot yet.

When you mention "replaying" the PIA, do you mean I should desolder and re-install IC18 on the system 6 board? (Obviously, I would reinstall with a socket instead of soldering back to the board.)

I have the Data buffer on order in case that is in deed the problem that is preventing the board from booting the ROM (But I kind of doubt it. it seems like this problem is more likely a connection/bad trace problem on this old and previously damaged board.)

Thanks so much!

#23 8 years ago

So, even with all the Ram pulled off the board, the Test Rom still won't boot. Both LED's stay lit on power up. I have ordered the data buffer, so I'll install the new one when it gets here and we'll see if the board can boot.

#24 8 years ago

So I'm losing more and more faith. With all the Ram pulled, and the new hex inverter installed at IC3 (which tests out great now with the benchtop PSU and the Test Rom installed), the board still won't boot.

The CPU has activity, so at this point I'm not sure where else to look. Are there any components on the Driver board that I should be checking? Could a problem with IC11 (PIA II) on the driver board cause the cpu board to not boot?

Thanks in advance!

1 week later
#25 8 years ago

Hi,

Best thing is to remove the driver board. A very faulty pia at the driver board (or bad interconnections) can force a lockup.

The rom does not need a driver board to function. for MPU lockup problems best to test the MPU board stand alone.

If everything fails you might consider using this thing:
https://code.google.com/p/lcd-pinball-display/downloads/detail?name=lockup%20diagnostic%20tool.zip
It is al lot of soldering, but only require two chips. Thats realy a help in getting rid of locked up boards, basically it overides all the rom chip selection. If it lockup with test roms this tool often show some blinks.

Just to check are you sure that the image of the testrom is ok? Else just plug in the gameroms, since i took it that the buffer chip was the problem.

Good luck, locked MPU are sometimes very hard.

#26 8 years ago

Thanks Andre! It seems like perhaps my image for the test rom was NOT good. The burner (and the chips) I am using is perhaps not the best, so I suspect it may have failed to write the code correctly. I went back and tried the gamer roms and the board still won't boot (Both LED's flash once, then go out, but the diagnostic button fails to produce any flashes). I burned an image of Leon's test ROM and it seems to work enough to get the LED's flashing. So I'm trying to check my game roms now, using my reader.

Both of my flipper ROMs pass checksum tests, but my two game roms (4871 and 4872 ) both test Blank with my reader! So I think I found out why the game won't boot, but now I have more issues. (Firstly, how did both of these chips get erased? That seems like an uncommon event)

I have a burner, so I figured I was going to just download the game code and burn myself a new rom, but I get conflicting information on the internet.

Online at a few different spots, people refer to the Gamerom for Tri-Zone, and suggest that it should be a single chip. I have two chips, in the PROM 1 and PROM2 spots, and no chip in IC14. Can the 2 chips be replaced by 1 single chip? Also, all I have for chips are 2732 and 2532. What chip should this game ROM be on? Online sources seem to say a 9316, but I haven't heard of that chip very often. Is there anyway I can burn the code onto a 2732 and have it work?

Thanks so much

#27 8 years ago

Hi,

correct images of the testrom can be found at:
https://code.google.com/p/lcd-pinball-display/
>>Can the 2 chips be replaced by 1 single chip?
Answer yes.

a 2732 can be used for a gamerom.
To program a 2732 you have to double the gamerom.

copy /b gamerom.716+gamerom.716 image_2732.732

then burn it.

I found an the image on the web:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/romc8c9.html?rom=trizn_l1.zip&gm=Tri-Zone

But jou have to do some jumpering.

I site the text for the jumper somebody else wrote : "

System 6 CPU Board ROM Upgrade.
As with System3/4, System6 CPU boards can also use a single EPROM at IC14 to eliminate the 512 byte PROMs at IC21, IC22 and IC26. In this case, a single "jumper" change is required to use an EPROM at IC14. Just above the IC22 ROM socket, there are two jumpers called "J4" and "J3". To use an EPROM at IC14, make sure jumper J3 is installed, and jumper J4 is removed.

"

See a picture at:
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms37/index2_files/s6jump2.jpg

#28 8 years ago

Thanks again! What solid help. I could have probably put all that together but it would have taken me quite a while. Interestingly, my board already has jumper 3 installed instead of J4. I wonder if someone was intending to switch this before I got it and never got around to it.

I'll get the SCANBE at IC14 knocked out and report back soon.

#29 8 years ago

Thank you so much! I may never know why suddenly two game roms went blank, but I have a booting system once again. Now I just have a master display to fix up, and this game is as good as new. Thanks so much for all the help from everyone!

IMG_20151107_154214.jpgIMG_20151107_154214.jpg

#30 8 years ago

Nice to see the pinball back in action

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/entire-row-of-switches-activates-together-system-6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.