Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WMSSystem3-7LampMatrixRow3Q51.jpg
IMG_20150215_110430.jpg
IMG_20150215_110435.jpg
LampMatrix2.png
LampMatrix.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider allknowing2012.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Purchased a Laser Ball machine and I have found that 5 lamps are always on. They are all in Row 3 of the Lamp matrix. What does that mean in terms of a fix?

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1413/Williams_1979_Lazer_Ball_Full_Manual.pdf

Something on the driver board - is this something a novice guy can repair?

#3 9 years ago

Oh I did miss a couple - but they are indeed working - flash during attract mode. Only the first 5 are always on - during game and attract mode.

Q50/Q51 - can I use a meter to diagnose?

[UPDATE] Ignore this attachment - I mistakenly was referencing the switch matrix...

LampMatrix.pngLampMatrix.png

#5 9 years ago

I removed the key in the jumper and moved it one left then one right. When I did that I was able to confirm it was/is the entire row of lamps for Row 3.

I just realized, looking above I am confusing the 2 diagrams .. i was looking at the *switch* matrix - that is what I posted. Oops!

Row3 - is all out. 3,11,27,19,35,43. - in the Lamp matrix is the entire row.

LampMatrix2.pngLampMatrix2.png
#9 9 years ago

terryb - I pretty much confirmed it by moving the main connector left and right and the problem (ie a whole different row in the matrix) would be affected. Ie. its not the wiring of one particular row on the pf.

Thanks Chris - I will give it a try... if its bad .. then someone with electronics skills can easily fix this?
Can I ask, what points you to Q50 & Q51?

#11 9 years ago

I checked (see video), left & right read "1" the middle reads .. .001 I checked one other and it read the same values. Am I doing this right?

#12 9 years ago

I took the board off .. to get a better look at it.. wow its got some history to it! burned right through!
The Q51 is just below the red probe - a bit dark there.

Taking it off and probing the backside ..
I get 1 , .001, 1
For the others I tested I get 1,1,1

We dont have too many electronics shops around.
What do I ask for in terms of a part? Are there alternatives if they dont have "x"?

IMG_20150215_110435.jpgIMG_20150215_110435.jpg IMG_20150215_110430.jpgIMG_20150215_110430.jpg
#15 9 years ago

Ok .. we don't have RatShack here in Canada anyways..I can check one place today.
Here is another video .. a bit better hope that confirms your thinking.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw634VKBDeRLb2daMnk0eF9JU1U/view?usp=sharing

#17 9 years ago

Thanks for helping me here .. still much to learn. Here is another video of the results.
Sohws 1,.001,1
Then
Shows 1,1, 1.5 <is that continuity.. huh?>

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw634VKBDeRLOW5ybUVIRUVVeHM/view?usp=sharing

#20 9 years ago

You mean bigger isn't better You called it.. 20A fuse when a 4A was called for. These fuses are getting tricky to find these days. I put a 5A in for now till I get to the electronics store to get that transistor as well.

#23 9 years ago

Transistor changed with new TIP41c - no change. Same lights remain on. Hopefully, unrelated to transistor, but related to removing board, but now match display and display's are showing wacky numbers "51" for ball 1, for example. Bad connections some where in the cabling.

#25 9 years ago

okay I picked up an 2N6427 (only had 1 on hand) and a couple of MPS-A42. Will check / replace tonight.

#26 9 years ago

I set it to diode check >| 1.171 and .73 the others i checked were 1.3 and .71
Going to go ahead and swap it out.

#27 9 years ago

Yikes .. going downhill fast.. Now it wont boot or display light up at all. Two solid red lights after the q50 removed then again after putting the new 2n6427 back in.

#28 9 years ago

SUCCESS!! A bit of fiddling with the top row of wires/connectors and I got a blink and good displays *AND* the row of lights is off and fully functional during game play!

Your diagnosis and remedy was spot on!

Thanks a bunch. I must admit I thought I was a goner there...

#29 9 years ago

New problem .. hopefully not related. Going to start a new thread.
Digits not showing correct values. 2 appears as 0, 4 appears as 6, 6 appears as 4.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider allknowing2012.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/entire-row-of-lamps-in-lamp-matrix-always-lit?tu=allknowing2012 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.