HF5A3165.jpg
HF5A3170.jpg
HF5A3169.jpg
HF5A3166.jpg
HF5A3163.jpg
HF5A3164.jpg
HF5A3160.jpg
HF5A3162.jpg
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

OK I believe I'm ready to let this one go. I have Revenge From Mars serial number 1. This is a prototype machine that had some minor playfield artwork and lighting differences vs. the production version.

A little history on this game: I worked at Williams Bally/Midway from around 1994 until Midway got out of the coin-op business for good in 2001. This game was out on field test for a few months (I forget how long but it wasn't more than 6) and then when they pulled the game and brought it back it went to me and has been in my home ever since. It is in excellent condition and works 100 percent (I will take some photos of this later this week when I have some time). I also have an extra NOS original monitor for it, a spare blank motherboard for the PC and two NOS sheets of pin2k glass.

I'd entertain trade or trade/cash offers for people who can do an in-person deal. I'm located in the Chicago suburbs. Games I'm interested in are pretty limited. Spiderman, LOTR, or Stern Batman Dark Knight are the top of my want list but I'm open to offers of other games/cash depending on game and condition. I'd entertain a game plus some money deal for the RFM or depending on the offer, game condition, etc. I'd probably be enticed to just sell it outright too if the offer was right. In the end I'd need to walk out of whatever the deal with at least some cash as I'm trying to raise funds for something very important. Obviously I value this machine higher than your typical production RFM. Local pickup only. I'm in no position to be able to deal with shipping, packing, etc.

I will post photos once I can take some, hopefully by the weekend and can make a proper FS/FT post. I figured I'd put the feelers out for anyone who may be interested in this unique machine.

#2 10 years ago

Bump for the Tuesday lunch crowd.

#3 10 years ago

What sort of dollar value are you putting on this?

#4 10 years ago

I have a rough idea in my head but part of the purpose of putting the feelers out there is to see what kind of interest there is in this unique item and kind of let the market decide.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

I have a rough idea in my head but part of the purpose of putting the feelers out there is to see what kind of interest there is in this unique item and kind of let the market decide.

I'm interested. Should I start the bidding?

#6 10 years ago

2.5k?

#7 10 years ago

2.51k?

#8 10 years ago

Well, I'm out.

#10 10 years ago

If I didn't already have RFM, I would say $3800 to $4200.

#11 10 years ago

I'm out too, video pinball sucks the bag like a vacuum.

#13 10 years ago

Pinside is the new eBay now? While the fantasy that someone will offer you $10k for it is still out there, just put your 'ideal' selling price and go from there...

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

RFM is real pinball. Try it sometime, it's super fun!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

+ 1000

#16 10 years ago

I forgot about the extras, 2.7K

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

I forgot about the extras, 2.7K

I can come pick it up Sunday

#18 10 years ago

Unfortunately the OP missed the memo. Pinside TOS now require a 50% final selling fee for any auction threads.

In all seriousness MXV, by not posting a realistic asking price you conotate to MANY potential buyers that you are just fishing for a sucker yet you want to avoid all fees associated with ebay.

If there is any 1 person in this world that SHOULD be able to put a realistic value on this machine it would be you as you are obviously associated with it from the start.

If you honestly have no idea where to start, the best place is probably with some photos of the game!!!
For price, take the high end of a normal perfect game and add 20% for the guys that are obsessed with the collector/rarity factor. Alternatively, find out if HEP has ever done a RFM better than new restoration and subtract 20% from that price. Some where btw those 2 numbers is a realistic value for most people.

Asking 4800 is probably a spot to start, but you had probably be willing to take 4k if you want to actually sell it.

#19 10 years ago

Those extra sheets of glass are worth $200-$300 each.

#20 10 years ago

With the extras (glass and NOS monitor) and the rarity factor I was thinking of a value of about $5000 or somewhere close to that. I will take some photos and post them to this thread on Sunday.

#21 10 years ago

Trade for records?

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

With the extras (glass and NOS monitor) and the rarity factor I was thinking of a value of about $5000 or somewhere close to that. I will take some photos and post them to this thread on Sunday.

You might get close to that, some people LOVE prototypes and the stories they come with, but it's a small market, you might have to be patient to get the 5k you are looking for. Cool machine though. GLWS.

#23 10 years ago

I would have been interested. Alas, your no shipping, local pickup requirement killed that idea.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I would have been interested. Alas, your no shipping, local pickup requirement killed that idea.

What, you never heard of a road trip?

#25 10 years ago

I drove to

Quoted from littlecammi:What, you never heard of a road trip?

I drove to Chicago from va 14hrs each way in a day and a half for a sample CV. This is not on the same level.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

What, you never heard of a road trip?

Yeah we don't have any snow here yet so a road trip is always an option for people before the weather goes to crap.

Again I'm open for game+cash deal for it depending on the game and condition (and the less the LED's/mods the better).

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Last time I checked Gene will sell them for under $100 a sheet

#28 10 years ago

How much without the extra glass and monitor?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

really!?! Time to call Gene.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

Yeah we don't have any snow here yet so a road trip is always an option for people before the weather goes to crap.
Again I'm open for game+cash deal for it depending on the game and condition (and the less the LED's/mods the better).

I've got a killer Space Invaders pin, with no LED's or mods
any interest?

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

I've got a killer Space Invaders pin, with no LED's or mods
any interest?

While that is a neat game, it doesn't have the staying power for me to warrant its spot in my limited real estate in the basement.

The three games I really want are Stern Batman Dark Knight, LOTR and Spiderman. If anyone has any nice/HUO and preferably unmodded one of those.

As for splitting up the game from the extras - I'd prefer not to but if the offer or trade was right I'd consider it.

Pix coming Sunday afternoon (my first available day to go down and snap them)

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Gene had seconds, I don't believe he ever had any firsts. Having said that, I don't know that any had discernible flaws.

IMO, 5k doesn't sound out of line, considering the pedigree. The challenge with any prototype game is finding the right buyer. Sometimes it takes awhile. I paid over 2 grand for a prototype rollergames with a rough playfield - and I paid 2500 + shipping for my prototype creature in crumpled ashtray form, and invested easily another few thousand into it.

I know a couple proto collectors, I'll drop them a line.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Gene had seconds, I don't believe he ever had any firsts. Having said that, I don't know that any had discernible flaws.
blockquote>

I have a perfect sheet from him and my understanding was that he has multiple pallets of the stuff just sitting in one of the back warehouses.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

They are not. Just sold one for $75 and Rob Anthony sells them for $129.

3 weeks later
#35 10 years ago

OK, I finally had a chance to snap some photos of the game. Here they are. The cabinet has some dings and the decals around the legs are wrinkled. For the truly anal the game could use re-decaling though the artwork is all still good and is not at all faded either.

Note the artwork difference on the playfield - some of the wording of the modes was changed in the production model. The modes were also on opposite sides on the proto and before it went out on test they modified the lamp board so the lights would match what was displayed on screen when you were choosing a mode at the start of the game.

I didn't snap any photos of the extra NOS monitor or the extra glass but they are included with the game as part of the deal to whoever trades for or buys it. It currently has software version 1.4 in it. It was recently cleaned and new balls were installed a few months ago and since I installed them it probably hasn't had more than a dozen plays if that.

HF5A3138.jpgHF5A3138.jpg
HF5A3137.jpgHF5A3137.jpg
HF5A3142.jpgHF5A3142.jpg
HF5A3141.jpgHF5A3141.jpg
HF5A3143.jpgHF5A3143.jpg
HF5A3144.jpgHF5A3144.jpg

HF5A3131.jpgHF5A3131.jpg HF5A3132.jpgHF5A3132.jpg HF5A3133.jpgHF5A3133.jpg HF5A3134.jpgHF5A3134.jpg HF5A3135.jpgHF5A3135.jpg HF5A3136.jpgHF5A3136.jpg HF5A3175.jpgHF5A3175.jpg HF5A3176.jpgHF5A3176.jpg HF5A3177.jpgHF5A3177.jpg HF5A3179.jpgHF5A3179.jpg HF5A3182.jpgHF5A3182.jpg HF5A3147.jpgHF5A3147.jpg HF5A3149.jpgHF5A3149.jpg HF5A3150.jpgHF5A3150.jpg HF5A3151.jpgHF5A3151.jpg HF5A3152.jpgHF5A3152.jpg HF5A3154.jpgHF5A3154.jpg HF5A3155.jpgHF5A3155.jpg HF5A3156.jpgHF5A3156.jpg HF5A3157.jpgHF5A3157.jpg HF5A3158.jpgHF5A3158.jpg HF5A3159.jpgHF5A3159.jpg HF5A3160.jpgHF5A3160.jpg HF5A3161.jpgHF5A3161.jpg HF5A3162.jpgHF5A3162.jpg HF5A3163.jpgHF5A3163.jpg HF5A3164.jpgHF5A3164.jpg HF5A3165.jpgHF5A3165.jpg HF5A3166.jpgHF5A3166.jpg HF5A3169.jpgHF5A3169.jpg HF5A3170.jpgHF5A3170.jpg HF5A3171.jpgHF5A3171.jpg HF5A3172.jpgHF5A3172.jpg HF5A3173.jpgHF5A3173.jpg HF5A3174.jpgHF5A3174.jpg
#36 10 years ago

What's the story on the getaway in the NGG cab?

#37 10 years ago

Will you give the buyer a copy of the receipt from Williams/WMS that shows you bought/received it from the Company? Even if it was for $1.00?

#38 10 years ago

Very nice looking RFM, I just sold a pretty nice RFM for a little under 3K. Id recommend selling the extras separate and the machine by itself.

This is a proto? Is there any differences from a regular production RFM?

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

What's the story on the getaway in the NGG cab?

Funny you should ask that as when I took those photos a friend of mine was over and I said "I wonder how long it will take someone to ask about that machine".

When i worked at WMS, a friend/co-worker of mine had a fully wired Getaway playfield that was sitting in his office for years. When they made that game, a handful of playfields had the inserts reversed for "lock" and "speed millions" so the lock was orange and the speed millions green. This wasn't discovered until the playfields were fully built and then they were pulled. It had zero plays on it and aside from the dust on it, was as perfect as it gets. I just had to re-rubber it as the original rubber was starting to dry up and crack. I told my friend I would buy that off of him if he could find a cabinet to put it in so we could make it into a fully functioning machine. We found an empty gophers cabinet and a jackbot head and asked if we could have it as it was sitting in some room collecting dust. Another coworker donated a translite and a CPU board to me. I took it all home and then a few sundays and a few pizzas later he had wired it up and had it working. I had to cut a hole to mount the shifter. It at one time had a ST:TNG speaker panel but I traded that to someone for a real Getaway one. So it is my "NoGoodJackAway". Someday I should get some Getaway decals and redo the cabinet so it looks proper, then all it would be missing is the beacon on the top (which I cant' really fit anyway cuz of my low ceiling so I don't care about it not being there). It is quite the conversation piece though so if I never get around to finding decals and applying them I won't mind.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Very nice looking RFM, I just sold a pretty nice RFM for a little under 3K. Id recommend selling the extras separate and the machine by itself.
This is a proto? Is there any differences from a regular production RFM?

It is a proto and serial number 1 so it was the first one. There's artwork differences mainly in the inserts, wording, and order of which they appear. Also a couple spotlights and maybe a couple of lamps were added in production that aren't on the protos.

#41 10 years ago

To update, I'd be happy to either sell this (best offer - see original posts) or trade or some combination of trade/sale. Games I'm interested in is pretty limited (HUO or super nice LOTR, or Spidey red or Batman Dark Knight or the new Star Trek Pro) but I'd entertain other offers for nice game/cash combination. Also the less LED/mods the better as I'm just going to yank them all out anyway. A game/cash deal is most appealing to me because I need to raise some cash for something very important that is not pinball or hobby related.

I don't have a receipt for it, I don't recall ever getting a receipt for any game I got through my former employer as it wasn't a normal sale and getting games was an occasional perk. Anyone who has been around long enough, especially on RGP can vouch for my story and I can certainly have some of my former coworkers who I'm still friends with also back up the origin of this game lest anyone think I'm full of shit. The game was slated to go to one of the design team and said person didn't want it and it went to me so the the history of the game was that it was out on field test for a couple of months or so, then it sat in a room at WMS unplugged and not played, and then it went to my house where it has been in my basement ever since.

#43 10 years ago

Here's a shot of my JM
Feels good to be #0001
GLWS!!!

00001.jpg00001.jpg

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

Funny you should ask that as when I took those photos a friend of mine was over and I said "I wonder how long it will take someone to ask about that machine".
When i worked at WMS, a friend/co-worker of mine had a fully wired Getaway playfield that was sitting in his office for years. When they made that game, a handful of playfields had the inserts reversed for "lock" and "speed millions" so the lock was orange and the speed millions green. This wasn't discovered until the playfields were fully built and then they were pulled. It had zero plays on it and aside from the dust on it, was as perfect as it gets. I just had to re-rubber it as the original rubber was starting to dry up and crack. I told my friend I would buy that off of him if he could find a cabinet to put it in so we could make it into a fully functioning machine. We found an empty gophers cabinet and a jackbot head and asked if we could have it as it was sitting in some room collecting dust. Another coworker donated a translite and a CPU board to me. I took it all home and then a few sundays and a few pizzas later he had wired it up and had it working. I had to cut a hole to mount the shifter. It at one time had a ST:TNG speaker panel but I traded that to someone for a real Getaway one. So it is my "NoGoodJackAway". Someday I should get some Getaway decals and redo the cabinet so it looks proper, then all it would be missing is the beacon on the top (which I cant' really fit anyway cuz of my low ceiling so I don't care about it not being there). It is quite the conversation piece though so if I never get around to finding decals and applying them I won't mind.

Neat story

I've got a similar Corvette, found a fully wired proto vette playfield in Bowling Green, KY that George took down there when the museum opened. Guy who had it bought a complete corvette pin and the playfield for spare parts. Sold the pin, and the new owner didn't want the playfield.

Found a used Corvette cab when a guy on RGP parted one out, married the two together. Great playing pin that is very underrated.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Neat story
I've got a similar Corvette, found a fully wired proto vette playfield in Bowling Green, KY that George took down there when the museum opened. Guy who had it bought a complete corvette pin and the playfield for spare parts. Sold the pin, and the new owner didn't want the playfield.
Found a used Corvette cab when a guy on RGP parted one out, married the two together. Great playing pin that is very underrated.

You ever do anything with those cabinet bolt measurements I took off the proto WCS94?

For those unaware, I have a proto WCS94 and the story goes that while it was sitting around the shop they used it to bolt a prototype shifter they were considering for Corvette. They didn't use that design and I have no idea what happened to the shifter, but my game still wears the bolt holes, obviously.

Not to derail the original thread, though. Just a fun way to bump it by swapping proto info, which I think makes these games all the more interesting (keeping the stories alive). GLWS!

(Love the Getaway story, too. I've got a serious beater I picked up for next to nothing when I was considering doing a re-theme kind of hack. Probably won't ever get around to it, but I may use it as a good father-son project to resurrect.)

--Donnie

#46 10 years ago

I talked with a couple fabricators... I don't have the materials/equipment to make my own shifter housing, and even if I did, don't know how to use them.

As I'm sure you know, with a handful of kids, a day job, a business, another budding business, and a wife who likes to see me from time to time, there are NEVER enough hours in the day for everything.

I've assembled the hardware, short of the housing. I've verified the switches work in the ROM for the shifter.. I just need someone to make me a shifter housing.

Or, I need to stumble on one of the few actual shifters that WMS made, I'm sure there's one or two of them floating around somewhere. MXV, know anyone?

#47 10 years ago

Was this shifter different than the one on Getaway? I've never heard of it before until now. If anyone has one of those I'd imagine George Gomez might.

Regarding my game - I'd also take a fully working Tron arcade game (the original one, not discs of tron) as partial trade towards the RFM. I'd also entertain a nice older pin as partial trade too depending on the game and its condition.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

Was this shifter different than the one on Getaway? I've never heard of it before until now. If anyone has one of those I'd imagine George Gomez might.

Apparently. It was bolted to the side of the game just in front of the left side flipper button right below the siderail. Had four bolts through the cabinet in about a 4" square pattern. I took pics and gave exact measurements to John because apparently he has a shifter, just no housing itself.

John, if you have any idea what the original housing was supposed to look like, I could get some metalworking friends to make one pretty easily, I'd guess.

Regarding my game - I'd also take a fully working Tron arcade game (the original one, not discs of tron) as partial trade towards the RFM. I'd also entertain a nice older pin as partial trade too depending on the game and its condition.

Hahaha, we have similar tastes. I'm trying to find an original Tron game now. I wouldn't mind an EDOT, too, but want an original more.

--Donnie

#49 10 years ago

My non proto RFM sold for $3k... this one needs to start out at $5k, granted if MXV can get a signed CoA from his coworkers... I mean, if you want the extra cash and prove the #00001 status it will make a collector feel all warm and cozy inside. GLWTS homie!

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

George has one.. and so does Tom Kopera. Here's a pic of Tom's, installed:

IMG_1279.sized.jpgIMG_1279.sized.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kenosha, WI
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Etten-leur, NB
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 37.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/entertaining-tradesale-offers-rfm-serial-1-with-extras and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.