New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 47228)

Enter This Lair On A Devils Dare! Update: Looking for plastic scans!

By Whitebuffalo

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Whitebuffalo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
DD_fob.jpg
image.jpg
image-11.jpg
WP_000193.jpg
WP_000191.jpg
P1010016.JPG
Devils_Dare_D.JPG
Devils_Dare_E.JPG
downsized_0414131214.jpg
0414131214a.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I picked up this beast! Right now it kind of looks like a piece of crap, but in a couple months it'll be beautiful. Well, relatively speaking since it is such a dark theme.

0414131214a.jpg downsized_0414131214.jpg

#2 7 years ago

You have your work cut out for you, it will be rewarding.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Fun game. Is the center plastic broken? Mine was broken and i was never able to find a replacement.

#4 7 years ago

I was going to buy one for my daughters room. Nice! Love the artwork.

#5 7 years ago

Yeah, the center plastic is missing. I think I might have a line on a broken one.

#6 7 years ago

This is such a fun game.

#7 7 years ago

Right now, it looks like the parts I'm looking for are: a large transformer, sound & speech power supply board, and two cheap pop bumper boards.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was going to buy one for my daughters room. Nice! Love the artwork.

Very funny!

#9 7 years ago

Great game - highly under-rated and very challenging. That one looks like it's still in nice shape.

Center plastic is pretty much impossible to find unbroken - I was hoping someone like CPR would re-make the plastics but I'm guessing it's not an 'in-demand' title so unlikely. If they ever do I have an unused NOS set I could loan them - however the clock is ticking as I finally found a very nice playfield to swap into mine which will justify putting those plastics on...

#10 7 years ago

Badass.

I love Devil's Dare.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Badass.
I love Devil's Dare.

Yes indeed! I can't wait to get it working. I've played one before, but it will be interesting to own one.

Quoted from cpu-slave:

Great game - highly under-rated and very challenging. That one looks like it's still in nice shape.
Center plastic is pretty much impossible to find unbroken - I was hoping someone like CPR would re-make the plastics but I'm guessing it's not an 'in-demand' title so unlikely. If they ever do I have an unused NOS set I could loan them - however the clock is ticking as I finally found a very nice playfield to swap into mine which will justify putting those plastics on...

Yeah, it isn't in bad shape it just needs some work and parts. The playfield is pretty nice. I was hoping that somebody would be reproducing something for this game. Does anybody know if PBR has any plastic sets?

#12 7 years ago

I picked up My Devils Dare 2 years ago from Doug Huse & believe me it is a keeper! Sadly, he also had a NOS populated playfield there that I was dragging my butt on buying. Lost out on that one and, yes, it DID have all NOS plastics on it! Damn! Anyway, love the game, the eye-appeal is great too! I'm sure you'll love yours.
Doc

#13 7 years ago

Hard to beat game, love mine too. No plastics at PBR, he does have NOS instruction cards though.

Devils_Dare_E.JPG Devils_Dare_D.JPG P1010016.JPG WP_000191.jpg WP_000193.jpg

#14 7 years ago

I never played Devil's Dare!

#15 7 years ago

Does anybody have a digital copy of the manual?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I never played Devil's Dare!

It is a pretty fun game. The place I bought it from had a working one and this was there "parts' game.

#17 7 years ago

Cool game

#18 7 years ago

LOL, I knew someone would snag a pic of the center plastic. I can post a better one from straight down on it if someone wants it.

#19 7 years ago

I like this pre-production backglass as well as the production model.

image-11.jpg

#20 7 years ago

Dig my DD big time.

image.jpg

#21 7 years ago

I see you need one of the NOS instruction cards from PBR.

Quoted from pinster68:

Dig my DD big time.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I see you need one of the NOS instruction cards from PBR.

Meh ... mine's "ok".

But might have to get em anyway.

#23 7 years ago

The one in your pic isn't really an instruction card, it's a list of the score cards that come with the instruction cards. I think you'll be glad you got it if you do.

http://pbresource.com/pfplayf.htm

Quoted from pinster68:

Meh ... mine's "ok".
But might have to get em anyway.

#24 7 years ago

Damn you!!! I wanted this. I saw it and emailed but never got an answer.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Whitebuffalo:

I was hoping that somebody would be reproducing something for this game. Does anybody know if PBR has any plastic sets?

No on the plastic sets - but Steve does have the correct stamped drop targets occasionally, and I believe the spinner as well.

I bought second DD that was parted but had a nice playfield to swap with my wore-to-the-wood current one. After finding a nice backglass recently I'll pretty much have enough parts to throw together a player DD after I finish 'upgrading' mine.

#26 7 years ago

I guess that maybe not getting an answer is an answer.

Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Damn you!!! I wanted this. I saw it and emailed but never got an answer.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I like this pre-production backglass as well as the production model.

The Doug Watson backglass was the bomb.

Quoted from blownfuse:

I guess that maybe not getting an answer is an answer.

LOL!

#28 7 years ago

Hey, anybody put LED's in their DD?

#29 7 years ago

I betcha nobody has the original factory Devils Dare key-chain. Just found it under the transformer.

#30 7 years ago

I betcha nobody has the original factory Devils Dare key-chain. Just found it under the transformer.

Nice.

Let's see that thing!

#31 7 years ago

I'll take that bet.

DD_fob.jpg

#32 7 years ago

Wow. The graphics and marketing departments went all-out on that, didn't they?

#33 7 years ago

Well ... it isn't the Mona Lisa, that's for sure.

Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Wow. The graphics and marketing departments went all-out on that, didn't they?

#34 7 years ago

I make my own LED's for my games.

#35 7 years ago

I'll take that bet.

You mean this one? Included in the original packet with manual, how-to brochure, pricing cards, coin door inserts, and spare fuses, and other stuff.

image.jpg

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

The one in your pic isn't really an instruction card, it's a list of the score cards that come with the instruction cards. I think you'll be glad you got it if you do.
http://pbresource.com/pfplayf.htm

And duh ... While I was gloating about the frigging keychain I realized I have minty price/instruction cards.

Getting old sucks...

#37 7 years ago

Nice machine, I hope to see and play a Devil's Dare someday!

#38 7 years ago

man devils dare is up there in my top 5 of coolest looking art work on a pin. Why can't stern do anything this pretty

#39 7 years ago

Yes ... Inserts only, but that's the only place I'd put them. Did the same on my Black Hole. Really looks great. I think they're all the warm white classics sold by cointaker.

#40 7 years ago

I color-matched the inserts with LED's from PBL - it makes them really look sharp. I also added a couple of green behind the eyes on the backglass to change things up.

#41 7 years ago

I got the Sound & Speech Power Supply board today from a guy out in Mid-west. Also picked up a transformer panel off Ebay that should give me everything I need to restore the power circuit.

#42 7 years ago

Wow, did someone part your game out?

I got the Sound & Speech Power Supply board today from a guy out in Mid-west. Also picked up a transformer panel off Ebay that should give me everything I need to restore the power circuit.

#43 7 years ago

I love my DD it's the one that gets the most play in my lineup..

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Wow, did someone part your game out?

Pretty much, it needs a lot of work, but I got it at a fair price. I've been looking for a game to restore and the Northwest is drying up for games like that. So this one fit the bill.

#45 7 years ago

Pretty much, it needs a lot of work, but I got it at a fair price. I've been looking for a game to restore and the Northwest is drying up for games like that. So this one fit the bill.

It is unlike any other ! you will have a great time with it

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

It is unlike any other ! you will have a great time with it

I am looking forward to playing it. It should be awesome.

#47 7 years ago

Mine needed a lot of work too, but fortunately it's easy to work on and there's a ton of documentation to help you along the way. Love how Gottlieb builds pins like tanks. But time and abuse takes its toll. Here's my short list on bringing mine back from the dead - had fun doing it:

New remote battery
Cleaned all the connectors, then cleaned them twice more (fixed a lot of issues)
Rebuilt one pop bumper driver board
A couple of dead n270 diodes on the base cabinet diode board
Re-flowed all display boards
Cleaned all linkage and contacts in flipper circuit (checked with an ohmmeter, nice and speedy now)
Vacuum out the cabinet
Complete Playfield strip, removed all rollover switches, slingshot mechs and ball trough parts - parts tumble it all for 2 days
Minor playfield touch up
Playfield buff polish + several coats of good carnauba wax
New pop bumper skirts (clear pf skirts too) and caps
New drop targets
Everything cleaned and reassembled
Basic strip and clean of the coindoor, new coindoor decal
New rubbers
New legs, bolts, levelers
New bulbs all around: Retro warm white LEDs in all inserts & pops, standard bulbs for GI & backbox
Cleaned the cab outside with Scrubbing Bubbles
New (used) backglass
New chromium steel balls

On the list:
Flipper rebuilds
Drop target rebuilds
Speaker replacement

Great pin ... Well loved in our house.

#48 7 years ago

Good list, along with what you listed here are a few I do to every System 80 (there are many more too);

Reflow ALL pins on the power supply and pop bumper boards for reliability (if you don't do them all now, you will be doing them all the time later).

Ground mods (weren't listed but should be done).

Remove and clean the flipper buttons (you won't believe how gross they got through the years from everyones fingers and you'd be surprised how many don't do this, it does help the game. If you don't believe me, pull one out and report back, you'll never work on another game without cleaning them from now on).

Add disgnostic LED's to each board (this helps make future troubleshooting a lot easier).

System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Quoted from pinster68:

Here's my short list on bringing mine back from the dead - had fun doing it:
New remote battery
Cleaned all the connectors, then cleaned them twice more (fixed a lot of issues)
Rebuilt one pop bumper driver board
A couple of dead n270 diodes on the base cabinet diode board
Re-flowed all display boards
Cleaned all linkage and contacts in flipper circuit (checked with an ohmmeter, nice and speedy now)
Vacuum out the cabinet
Complete Playfield strip, removed all rollover switches, slingshot mechs and ball trough parts - parts tumble it all for 2 days
Minor playfield touch up
Playfield buff polish + several coats of good carnauba wax
New pop bumper skirts (clear pf skirts too) and caps
New drop targets
Everything cleaned and reassembled
Basic strip and clean of the coindoor, new coindoor decal
New rubbers
New legs, bolts, levelers
New bulbs all around: Retro warm white LEDs in all inserts & pops, standard bulbs for GI & backbox
Cleaned the cab outside with Scrubbing Bubbles
New (used) backglass
New chromium steel balls
On the list:
Flipper rebuilds
Drop target rebuilds
Speaker replacement
Great pin ... Well loved in our house.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Good list, along with what you listed here are a few I do to every System 80 (there are many more too);
Reflow ALL pins on the power supply and pop bumper boards for reliability (if you don't do them all now, you will be doing them all the time later).
Ground mods (weren't listed but should be done).
Remove and clean the flipper buttons (you won't believe how gross they got through the years from everyones fingers and you'd be surprised how many don't do this, it does help the game. If you don't believe me, pull one out and report back, you'll never work on another game without cleaning them from now on).
Add disgnostic LED's to each board (this helps make future troubleshooting a lot easier).
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Noted. I have a Black Hole as a guide. The previous owner went to town with all the recommended mods for reliability. I'm luck the boards are clean. The battery on my DD was original and shot ... but didn't leak much at all.

2 months later
#50 7 years ago

Hey all fellow DD owners! I'm looking for plastics scans of the very top center one, the big center DD one, and the small almost L-shaped one before the ball goes into the lower captive pit. Any help would be much appreciated. Also if you have any extra ones of these kicking around I would be willing to buy them. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 2.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 26.95
$ 12.95
$ 209.99
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 129.25
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 19.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside