Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I spend a lot of time reading posts on the Pinside forums and listening to pinball podcasts - TWIP, Special When Lit and Kaneda. It seems like the pinball community is a slave to the licensed pin. I just can’t figure out why. They just seem to be more trouble than they are worth. Either the license is no good or it lacks theme integration or the manufacturer wasn’t able to get all of the assets they need or on and on.... Of course, there is also the issue of the cost of the license.

Don’t get me wrong, licensed pins can be a blast but isn’t there more room for original titles and for good reason? For one, the savings saved by not having to pay for licensing can be passed on to develop, mechs or whatever to make for a better game. For another, a lot of the issues I mentioned above just go away. For example, most people agree that Dialed In is a great pin, but for......the lack of a licensed theme.... I say - so what???

Anyway, I guess I just think the pinball community should be more open minded and encourage non-licensed pins. I think if that could gain some momentum, then some good things could happen.

#2 4 years ago

I’m glad someone finally had the courage to make the 6,786th thread on this subject.

You want unlicensed themes? Buy one. Plenty out there in 2019.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

Anyway, I guess I just think the pinball community should be more open minded and encourage non-licensed pins. I think if that could gain some momentum, then some good things could happen.

I think the community is, businesses don't like to take big risk with money though. Building a pin on an existing franchise is considered lower risk.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m glad someone finally had the courage to make the 6,786th thread on this subject.
    You want unlicensed themes? Buy one. Plenty out there in 2019.

Bingo.
    Namaste.

#5 4 years ago

Get ready for the next licensed theme game to be unveiled this Thursday from Stern. Movie? TV Show? Rock Band? Super Hero?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Get ready for the next licensed theme game to be unveiled this Thursday from Stern. Movie? TV Show? Rock Band? Super Hero?

I hope we are in for a surprise! Everyone knows the rumors. It will be exciting it find out nevertheless. I’m not saying I don’t like licensed pins, it would just be fun to see more non licensed from the big, reliable manufacturers.

#7 4 years ago

Non-licensed titles that are available to buy right now:
    #dialed-in
    #oktoberfest
    #houdini
    #total-nuclear-annihilation (technically sold out, but might still be available from a few distributors or on the secondary market)
    #suncoast-cosmic-carnival
    #lexy_lightspeed (plus various platform add-on kits)
    #black-knight-sword-of-rage-pro
    #olympic-goblin
    #mafia

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Dialed In
    Oktoberfest
    Houdini
    Total Nuclear Annihilation (technically sold out, but might still be available from distributors or on the secondary market)
    Cosmic Carnival
    Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth (plus various platform add-on kits)
    Black Knight Sword of Rage (Pro)
    Goblin Contest

I’m familiar with the list, but a lot of those didn’t sell well or won’t. Some of them are quality games. I guess that’s my point.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I hope we are in for a surprise! Everyone knows the rumors. It will be exciting it find out nevertheless. I’m not saying I don’t like licensed pins, it would just be fun to see more non licensed from the big, reliable manufacturers.

And it would be nice if people bought dialed in and Black Knight to support them when they do and encourage them to make more.

Did you buy these games?

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

As it's been said before, brand recognition is a key factor in producing and selling games.

It's an uphill battle to try to market a non-licensed games to operators and general public.

But if you slap a well known name (movie, tv show, band, etc), all the marketing is essentially built-in already, as well as a fanbase for that license.

Quoted from Krupps4:

I’m familiar with the list, but a lot of those didn’t sell well or won’t.

And that's why the big manufacturers do licensed games.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:As it's been said before, brand recognition is a key factor in producing and selling games.
    It's an uphill battle to try to market a non-licensed game to operators and general public.
    But if you slap a well known name (movie, tv show, band, etc), all the marketing is essentially built-in already, as well as a fanbase for that license.

You nailed it with this post. Would you be more interested in Jurassic Park or Dinosaurs Attack?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And it would be nice if people bought dialed in and Black Knight to support them when they do and encourage them to make more.
    Did you buy these games?

I have not, but that’s not due to lack of interest. Just lack of funds...for now. I would have no problem buying with a BKSoR or TNA. Both great games in my opinion.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

You nailed it with this post. Would you be more interested in Jurassic Park or Dinosaurs Attack?

Hah, Dinosaurs Attack could be epic.

Although, we did have Dinosaur Eggs, which didn't do so well

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

I could care less about Jurassic Park. If Dinosaurs Attack was the better game, I’d be more interested in that game despite the lack of license.

#15 4 years ago

I'm all for OG themes but nothing wrong with licensed themes if there good. JJP doing Blade Runner? good licensed theme. Next Stern Jaws by Brian Eddy? sounds good to me. Wonka and JWorld? No thanks

#16 4 years ago

I think we need more licensed pins, specifically from the 80s, including TMNT that started in 87 or so. That theme song alone....

Make 80s pin with great art, print money - check.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I spend a lot of time reading posts on the Pinside forums and listening to pinball podcasts - TWIP, Special When Lit and Kaneda.

There’s your problem right there.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I could care less about Jurassic Park. If Dinosaurs Attack was the better game, I’d be more interested in that game despite the lack of license.

What if they were the same? Or at least equally fun.

#19 4 years ago

Unlicensed titles probably won't do as well on location and like it or nor that's a HUGE chunk of sales.
    The brand recognition is what gets casual people to walk up and play a game.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

What if they were the same? Or at least equally fun.

Well, if they are the same and equally as fun then it doesn’t really matter. I guess at that point it comes down purely to how the pin looks and cost.

#21 4 years ago

I'm fine with licensed games. I'm not fine with some of the licenses that are being pursued. Munsters and Beatles instantly jump to mind.

American Pinball seems to cheap for a licensed game. So you can look forward to public domain themes like Robin Hood and Poker Run (lol)

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I think we need more licensed pins, specifically from the 80s, including TMNT that started in 87 or so.

I agree with the 80's part but TMNT?

#23 4 years ago

A great theme does help sell pins - no question
    But you also need a good shooter, great video and art, and good theme integration

put out a great shooter, that also has great video, art, and a decent non-licensed theme and it will sell

Dialed In - not a great theme to many and was avoided because of - but it's a great game
    Oktoberfest - missed on theme, art, video for many - but another fun game
    Houdini - misses on gameplay, art, video for many
    Total Nuclear Annihilation - awesome game, but many like multi level games
    Cosmic Carnival - Hits on theme, art, video - have to see how it shoots (too early to judge)
    Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth (plus various platform add-on kits) - it's just weird
    Black Knight Sword of Rage (Pro) - think it's a great game all around - but many have complained about layout and how it shoots
    Goblin Contest - never heard of this
    Mafia - worse game I ever played

If Cosmic Carnival shoots well and has deep enough code to make it worth owning at home - it could be a winner

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I think we need more licensed pins, specifically from the 80s, including TMNT that started in 87 or so. That theme song alone....
    Make 80s pin with great art, print money - check.

I’m 38- I would like to see more pins with themes from the 80s and 90s. Time to start marketing to guys like us in late 30s-40s. Variety is the key and big themes are what makes stern money- I don’t think we’re gonna see that change any time soon

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Dialed In
    Oktoberfest
    Houdini

Houdini ? Maybe there was no license to pay, but it's the same as a licensed theme... like Elvis.

"Presto, The Amazing Escape Artist" would be a better example of an unlicensed theme.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I just can’t figure out why.

Manufacturers know that if you contact a distributor in another country and try to sell an unlicensed game they say send one or two. When you call a distributor in another country and try and sell a licensed game they say send me two containers full.

Until unlicensed games sell better than licensed. You are going to see more licensed games.

LTG : )

#27 4 years ago

Some OTHER reasons why licensed may be (probably is) better than non-licensed...
    - Sometimes the assets from a license are much better than would have been created by the Pinball team
    - The universally known story line can be followed in the game and by the user
    ---- In a non-licensed theme, the player has more to learn (less intuitive) about the story - not a problem in video games, but players don't watch the screen very much on pinball while playing.
    - obviously some people may love the license

Example - a non-licensed Tron look alike would most likely pale in comparison IMO

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Black Knight Sword of Rage (Pro) - think it's a great game all around - but many have complained about layout and how it shoots

I can see the pretentious pinball "world under glass" dickheads not liking the fact thats it lacking happy time toys but "how it shoots? thats just malarky, whatever that is.

#29 4 years ago

Cosmic Carnival Review

#30 4 years ago

Hi everyone, licensed theme and unlicensed theme pinball owner here, I see both sides to this argument, You see owning a licensed theme is great due to the familiarity of the art and sounds, it almost feels like you some how are in control or become interactive with a movie or band that you enjoy. A partnership if you will, however the unlicensed theme gives you this sense of wonder while playing, forcing your mind to fill in the blanks and make the game a personal adventure. One might say the licensed theme is a safer business decision, But I haven’t seen such aggression towards one mans opinion since that one time in nineteen ninety eight when the undertaker threw mankind off hеll in a cell, and he plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer’s table.

#31 4 years ago

I will never part with my Flash Gordon pinball. Why? Well certainly not because it's my best playing game but because it's Flash Gordon.
    "Savior Of The Universe ". If I ever had the capability/cash to have real callouts and/or the music ftom the movie I might never leave the mancave. That's why they licence. ...

#32 4 years ago

love my dialed in le. will probably leave to my son when I am dead. also love my walking dead, never saw the show but who doesn't enjoy killing zombies. yeah some licenced stuff is fun if its appealling to you but I would rather play a game that I can't stop playing because of addicting game play

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from guard:

That's why they licence. ...

Yes sir, theme will keep a pin in my collection much longer than gameplay which shouldn't be strange I mean if the theme isn't there then how the hell do you get into the game? I know theres guys here who don't like Maiden or Metallica yet own the pin, Wonka will never see the inside of my lair, just the thought of it makes me a little sick.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/enough-of-the-licensed-themes?hl=wyopin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.