(Topic ID: 48931)

Enough about "Next Music Pin"-Time for a Sports Theme?

By Nuclear_Waste

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by bangerjay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Festival_Girls_Mud_Wrestling_3.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

When was the last good pin based on sports?

Could they be successful, or do our largely USA-centric sports rule out the overseas market enough to where they aren't worth Stern's time?

#2 10 years ago

Stern had the recent NBA game.

If you want USA and Europe, you kind of limit yourself to basketball, or soccer.

Maybe an Olympics pin and cover a lot of sports ?

LTG : )

( I'd go for a baseball hall of fame theme, cover the greats from the beginning )

#3 10 years ago

NBA is Stern's biggest flop ever. Sports games just don't seem to sell well.

#4 10 years ago

UFC/MMA seems to be popular world wide. That might work

#5 10 years ago

Carolina Panthers. Every time you flip, a magnet near the flippers activates and makes the ball go like 10 degrees off where you aimed. Also, every time you start doing well and get close to the replay score, the entire machine just goes dead.

#6 10 years ago

I wish I could come up with a successful sports-themed pin. It seems that WCS has grown in popularity over the years, but all others seem to have withered.

Shame about NBA. I'm not even a sports nut, but that's a pretty fun game (except for the trivia questions that I have no clue on!) NBA Fastbreak is cool, too.

#7 10 years ago

Since SR is obsessed with sequels, do another roller derby pin. This annoying "sport" is still around somewhat....and more importantly it would be cheap.

#8 10 years ago

Please a NHL hockey theme. It's the only real sport left where players are mostly not idiots. I don't care if its not that popular as people say bec they can't understand it. Just make it. Or a new World Cup Soccer for the Brazil coming up.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Please a NHL hockey theme.

You know damn well Bettman would get in the middle of it and screw the whole thing up

#10 10 years ago

I love sports! But these themes just dont work in the pinball world I would be totally in on a sport themed game, but will probably wait to buy it once it flops

#11 10 years ago

Say what ya want, but indirectly, I may not have ever hooked up with my wife if it wasn't for rollerderby.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

I love sports! But these themes just dont work in the pinball world

Totally agree.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Since SR is obsessed with sequels, do another roller derby pin. This annoying "sport" is still around somewhat....and more importantly it would be cheap.

Interesting note: Heard SR talk about this game. Turns out they had the choice between the American Gladiators license and the Rollergames (another TV show) license. The bean-counters at Williams made a last minute switch to Rollergames. Whoops!

#14 10 years ago

I would love to see a Skateboard theme.

Crazy ramps and lots of combo shots for back to back tricks n' stuff.

#15 10 years ago

Fish Tales 2

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

Skateball! http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2170

No crazy ramps or combos though. The backglass makes up for that!

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

The backglass makes up for that!

lol... never seen this one before.

That backglass is epic. Needs more van

#18 10 years ago

Lingerie Football League !!

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1904

#20 10 years ago

how about something different, like women mud wrestling.

Festival_Girls_Mud_Wrestling_3.jpgFestival_Girls_Mud_Wrestling_3.jpg

#21 10 years ago

If there was an Australian pin company I'd want a shane warne pin with magnets\spinners that add spin to your shots

#22 10 years ago

what about a nitro circus / x games style stunt game,

or a paintball style game where you have to hunt the opposition and the playfield is basically full of obstacles with maybe pop up targets to hit (enemy), lots of potential with colour with paint ball splats and bush scenes and fort etc

#23 10 years ago

I forget who it was that said it. When the embassy workers in Iran were captured and held hostage.....and finally released after over a year in captivity, the baseball commissioner thought maybe giving them a lifetime free pass to baseball would be appropriate. The guy said "Haven't they been tortured enough?

US sports don't do well overseas. Overseas sports don't do well in the US.

Personally, I'd like to see a modern version of the pitch n bat. Not sure there is much of a market for it.

#24 10 years ago

ESPN Sportscenter. It could include a shot from each of the major sports ala No Fear. And of course the Sportscenter theme. Da-da-da Da-da-da. That theme would kill it in bars.

#25 10 years ago

In light of how the game would need world-wide appeal, I think a UFC, or perhaps an X-games type game of extreme sports.

#26 10 years ago

I would like to see a hockey pin also, but X games offers many possibilities. Like the MMA approach too.

#27 10 years ago

How about watersports

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/enough-about-next-music-pin-time-for-a-sports-theme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.