6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gozzle
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I discovered that a few days ago and I haven't seen any topic on PinSide so here it is.
    A new sound board for WPC89 seems to be in the work here: http://www.pinsound.org/

Here is an excerpt from the site:

PinSound is a new sound board for pinball machines. For now, the PinSound kit is compatible with WPC89 pinballs.

Features
    - plug and play sound board
    - full new amp 2.1 to provide the best sound for original speakers
    - harness wires included to upgrade from mono to stereo system
    - each sound available on memory card (can be easily updated with a computer)
    - possibility of mix between original sounds and high quality sounds
    - possibility of applying filters individually (if you want specific sounds to be louder than others, for example)
    - multitracks (the PinSound board can play many songs at the same time, unlike the WPC89 sound board, which is limited)
    - headset connector
    - made in France

#2 6 years ago

Curious to see what the price will be. If anyone has played any of SLAMT1LT's Future Pinball tables like TAF Anniversary or T2 Skynet Edition, it sounds like this could produce the same results on a real machine.

#3 6 years ago

I'm curious as to where they are gonna get YM2151 Synth chips to make these. I don't believe Yamaha makes them anymore. That said, FM synthesis is digital, so it is possible that an emulator could produce the musical tones, similar to how pinmame does it.

Also, it looks like they are completely redoing the audio for the game... new voice actors, re-recording sound effects... Kind of slap in the face to the original sound designers don't you think? I'm all for a repro WPC sound board, but this seems to be taking a bit too far.

There's something wonderfully elegant about the system 11 and early WPC sound systems that would be impossible to emulate with ripped mp3's of the original audio mixed in with re-recorded speech/sfx...

-BB

PS - Are they seriously replacing Raul Julia's voice??

#4 6 years ago

Looks like this is to sound what colorDMD is to video. Except they're actually replacing the sounds and it'll only be as good as the re-recorded sounds. I think there will be too many people unhappy that the sounds are re-recorded from new actors.

#5 6 years ago

Here's the TAF Anniversary Edition SLAMT1LT mod I was speaking of in case anyone hasn't seen/played it. Excellent sound package.

And yes, the voices from Pinsound are terrible. I definitely wouldn't use those.

#6 6 years ago

I think this would be cool, especially if the can improve the sounds on the pre dcs sound systems. Just think what cftbl would sound ilke in real stereo, and not in the orginal midi music.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

I'm curious as to where they are gonna get YM2151 Synth chips to make these. I don't believe Yamaha makes them anymore. That said, FM synthesis is digital, so it is possible that an emulator could produce the musical tones, similar to how pinmame does it.
    Also, it looks like they are completely redoing the audio for the game... new voice actors, re-recording sound effects... Kind of slap in the face to the original sound designers don't you think? I'm all for a repro WPC sound board, but this seems to be taking a bit too far.
    There's something wonderfully elegant about the system 11 and early WPC sound systems that would be impossible to emulate with ripped mp3's of the original audio mixed in with re-recorded speech/sfx...
    -BB
    PS - Are they seriously replacing Raul Julia's voice??

If it can be done in an emulator it can be done in a FPGA. Stern did it with BSMT2000. The Yamaha synth chip is much simpler by comparison. These boards are increasingly difficult to find. If they can get the price right and allowyou to run just the original code if you wanted then this would be a good thing.

viperrwk

8 months later
    #8 5 years ago

Anybody hear any more about these boards? If they remaster the old audio into HD audio, that would be awesome. But, who really wants different audio? Not me. Their website has these for $400 each. While I would buy one in a heart beat for DW, MB, BSM, LOTR and maybe TS at $150 or so, $400 is way out of line and cost prohibitive, IMHO.

7 months later
    #9 4 years ago

$150.00 to $199.00 But No More.. But the time will be here sooner than later. All Pinball Related stuff Will be Hard to find or not at all. JJP Machines And Parts Are Already out of range for most that still have a love for the game...

3 weeks later
    #10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Euchrid:

Their website has these for $400 each. While I would buy one in a heart beat for DW, MB, BSM, LOTR and maybe TS at $150 or so, $400 is way out of line and cost prohibitive, IMHO.

I'm with you! I went to purchase one and saw ... $400 !?! I was a buyer at half that. Too many machines to be spending $400 a piece.

#11 4 years ago

+1. Love everything about it except the price.

#12 4 years ago

New sounds packages do not really interest me. Others may enjoy this, fine. But the great perspective with this, for me, is to be able to enhance the ORIGINAL sound. Noise reduction, richness, frequency balance, stereo space added etc.

All done subtle and with respect for the original.

The Yamaha synth chip sound is absolutely gorgeous and the fidelity is much better than DCS in my ears. However the sound expression is limited, of course. And don't you be calling this 8 bit.

More so, they where able to make real tunes with this. Where as the music in DCS is more or less all 20-40 sec. repeated pre-recorded music pieces. Due to the limited ROM-space available.

The real trouble of the pre-DCS fidelity is the sound of the special and ancient D/A responsible of the speech (and some effects).

4 months later
    #13 4 years ago

Sorry to dig this old thread out, but just to let you know that I've taken the plunge. I know it's expensive, but it solves a problem I've personally had with my Tommy.

I love the game but just hate the stage-show songs. What this little board allows me to do is to replace all of the songs in the game with real WHO songs, whilst leaving all other sounds and call outs the same.

And as someone has already done all the work for me for a Tommy (checkout the pinsound.org website), I only need to take their file and fine tune it to my own taste.

Fantastic.

I've pre-ordered and can't wait to try it out!

All the best.

Goz

#14 4 years ago

Maybe someone will start working new AFM files!

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gozzle:

Sorry to dig this old thread out, but just to let you know that I've taken the plunge. I know it's expensive, but it solves a problem I've personally had with my Tommy.
    I love the game but just hate the stage-show songs. What this little board allows me to do is to replace all of the songs in the game with real WHO songs, whilst leaving all other sounds and call outs the same.
    And as someone has already done all the work for me for a Tommy (checkout the pinsound.org website), I only need to take their file and fine tune it to my own taste.
    Fantastic.
    I've pre-ordered and can't wait to try it out!
    All the best.
    Goz

Tommy is a great choice to try it on! Let know how it turns out.

Parker

11 months later
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 16.95
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 25.50
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 149.00
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 35.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 6.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside