(Topic ID: 290814)

Engagement Rings -- More or Less than I spend on Pinball?

By Time

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pin owners, how much would you spend on an engagement ring?”

• 1 NIB Stern Premium 32 votes
      52%
    • 1 NIB Stern LE 6 votes
      10%
    • 2 NIB Stern Premium 8 votes
      13%
    • 2 NIB Stern LE 3 votes
      5%
    • Pirates of the Caribbean CE 13 votes
      21%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

great-great-grandma-meets-granddaughter_196113-132873d (resized).jpg
    De-Beer (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1617070894501 (resized).jpg
    89071755-E1F2-45BA-B90E-12C6626B29D2.jpeg
    Screenshot_20210328-103003_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    399A5607-F1A3-4A3C-839D-21E58842E7C7 (resized).jpeg
    Untitled.jpg
    EF23232B-5857-48EC-B5FE-809C10F631EF (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolverinetuner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

NEVER buy a diamond. Ever.
    If you have ever tried to sell one to a jewelry store, you quickly realize they are completely worthless
    You: Hey, I inherited this 1.75 ct diamond. It was appraised by your store for $18,000 a few years ago. What will you give me for it?
    Store: That sounds like a fine stone! Bring it in and we'll explain what your options are [they need to get you into the store]
    You: [entering store] Hi, here is that diamond I called you about
    S: Really nice, good clarity, a prize to your family, no doubt.
    Y: Great, what can you give me for it?
    S: We can remount it in a man's setting, it would be a great memory of your aunt.
    Y: I've been out of work for a year, I really need the cash.
    S: Maybe your wife would enjoy it as a renewed vow, a gift of your love?
    Y: Honestly, I lost my wife to the pandemic. I just need to cash out.
    S: Well sir, we can give you full value credit towards any other jewelry in the store; excluding watches and swords.
    Y: I don't wear any jewelry. Seriously, just give me your best cash offer.
    S: We don't really buy any jewelry for cash.
    Y: So you would not give me $5,000 for this $18,000 stone?
    S: I'm sorry.
    Y: How about $2,000?
    S: It just isn't done. We have 4000 stones in the vault, all on consignment with the broker. We don't pay for any of those until sold.
    Y: Can we sell it on consignment?
    S: Yes, but be advised, many of the rings in our "Heirloom Collection" have been up for sale for years.
    The trick with diamonds, is that all of your older relatives have also discovered that they can't sell them.
    So you can just call all your aged aunts and grandmas and ask if they have any suitable diamonds that you can **buy** because you really want a stone that is part of the family.
    Of course, your grandma will have a diamond stud where she lost the other half of the pair, or your dead grand aunt's wedding ring. She won't take any money for it, because she is honored that you thought to ask her.
    This benefits you in many ways:
    1. You don't have to worry that your wife feels you bought a stone that's too small/large.
    2. Your wife gets to tell all her friends that it's a family heirloom, and thus inherently it means more than their mall-bought diamonds.
    3. Your grandma will be able to tell everyone how proud she was when your wife first put on "her" diamond.
    4. The average marriage lasts 8 years, so you know your ex will give you the ring back - she's not a monster who would take away part of your family.
    5. That returned ring from your ex will sit in your drawer until your son or nephew starts hinting around that he's getting married - then you can pawn it off on one of them.

Could this be the start of a “Vid1900’s Ultimate Guide to Getting an Engagement Ring” thread?

#41 3 years ago

Thirty-six years ago I borrowed money from my parents to buy a 1/3 carat four-prong solitaire at Service Merchandise so I could pop the question to my girlfriend. I think it was around $400, which was a lot of money for me at the time. We were so much in love then that I could have gotten her just about anything decent and she wouldn’t have been upset. Other than later having the diamond placed in a more secure six-prong solitare ring, she’s worn it ever since, and I would say we’re at least as much in love now. The ring is just a symbol representing something much more important.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Somebody musta been suckered into some blood diamonds!
    Marriage *today* is a losing prospect, most people in this thread have pointed out how much of a sham the industry is, diamonds and jewelers trying to get you to shell out for junk. The planning and ceremony costs tens of thousands. The “benefits” are nonexistent. The taxes and benefits for being legally single are so much better, unfortunately.
    What part of being “legally married” is so important? Does that really change your relationship, some silly ceremony?
    My uncle has been with his girl for 26 years. They call each other husband and wife, because it doesn’t matter much. They’re happy and their relationship has been rock solid, which is really the most important thing!
    If you insist on the ceremony and the hoopla then get a prenup just for posterity. It’s better to have and not need, than to need and not have!

Being legally married to me is much more than a ceremony. It’s entering into and showing as much of a commitment as you possibly can to each other. Our ceremony was special, but not because of the cost. Afterward, we had a simple cake and punch reception in the church basement and had a blast because our friends and family were there to share it with us. Unfortunately I understand that sometimes the debt from an elaborate wedding lasts longer than the marriage. I’ve been greatly blessed to have the opposite experience.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolverinetuner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/engagement-rings-more-or-less-than-i-spend-on-pinball-?tu=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.